The Merge: Agents & Powers (OOC for chapter 2)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Bladewind

Re: The Merge: Agents & Powers (Interest)

Post by Bladewind »

He`s been added to the list of submissions.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Bladewind wrote:
StarGuard wrote:I'm switching to a Blade version of Hannibal from the movie. Very minor vampire powers lingering after being "cured" by the retro-virus. Will have the write up done this weekend.
I'd suggest that you make a new post, don't paste over the original build... and since you are doing that... check out my build thread... :P
(My submission remains that T-800 though.)
Lol. Yes I've been reading your new thread and the world building you and Neo do continues to be an excellent partnership.

I have Hannibal in the original post mentioning the idea. Please check points and PL for accuracy. Will flesh out the Complications over next couple days. I want to re watch the movie to get better feel for his personality. It's been a while, it was do for a viewing anyhow ;)
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

As with previous Merge games, I offered and Neo accepted.... so I will start build reviews in the next few days...

Love the concepts thus far !
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Shadow13

Post by Shadow13 »

Codename: Patriot X
Ht: 5 9 Wt: 190

Service: US Marine
MOS Recon
Rank Sgt

Nickname: Joker, War Dog
MOS: Scout/Communications/Smart ass

Quote: Look just because you just figured out recently what the business end of a gun is don’t mean you are some sort of bad ass. Do me a favor either drop the gun or grab a few more of your friends because you and what you have right now is a waste of my time.

Back Story:

Wade comes from a normal family. Wade excelled at what he put his mind to. He was decent at sports, at his studies and his hobby was reading comics, science fiction and fantasy stories in general. Wade just don’t care for bullies and unknown to them he worked construction with his dad so he may not look big but he was wiry when it came to natural strength.

Wade decided to challenge himself so he went to a Vocational degree in electronic repair before he graduated High School. Wade was then recruited into the Marines after high school. During this time he was able to pick up a few extra duties as a Hand To Hand Combat Instructor and Primary Marksman Instructor. He furthered his training by being certified by the NRA as a weapons instructor, completed training in Krav Maga.

At some point Wade was challenged by his Plt Commander to take the Recon Indoc which he was able to pass. His Platoon Commander was returning back to Force Recon and wanted Wade who now was a Cpl in his team after he passed his test and training. After a year Wade was able to enter Force Recon as a Sgt fully trained and ready to operate when and where he was needed with MARSOC.

Then the event happened and a after a few missions he was wounded in the line of duty. During physical therapy due to his injuries there seemed to be no hope of a full recovery for him. He was medically discharged from the Marines. He decided to attend school and get a degree. During his time at school there was an event that triggered an awakening of power in him.

The event was in short of a mad scientist and students trying to create a way to draw energy from another dimension to solve the energy crisis or maybe gain power to overthrow the system. College was confusing to Wade due to anything and everything is offensive or traumatic to people. Yes the group was able to draw energy from another plane and creatures from another plane as well.

The energy interacted with Wade and triggered a change in his body which granted him enhanced abilities. He was able to use his enhanced abilities healed his body and allowed him to quickly get the situation under control.
At debriefing with the contact Wade asked if he could join the new agency. Wade was motivated to join and serve in an organization like the Marines again. The world was in chaos, people were scared and more divided due to the changes that happened in the world. Aliens, magic, Capes good or bad, and other things that are happening. While Heroes from movies, comics and other sources were coming over to this world but there was a difference between a work of fiction and what is reality.

Agency Report:
Coming soon.....

US Agent pl 6 - PL 6

Strength 3, Stamina 2, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Close Attack 4, Defensive Attack, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown 2

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+7), Athletics 9 (+12), Expertise: Fantasy, Comic and Science Fiction 9 (+9), Expertise: Military 9 (+9), Insight 9 (+10), Perception 9 (+10), Stealth 6 (+7)

Powers

Combat Instinct Cost 11
(Advantages: Evasion 2, Improved Initiative, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge)
Danger Sense: Senses 1 (Danger Sense: netal)
Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Dodge +3 (+7), Parry +2 (+7))

Faster than the Eye Cost 12
Quicker Than the Eye: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Limited: While Moving)
Run Up Walls: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed; Limited: While Moving)
Speed: Speed 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)

Healing Factor Cost 10
Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 2 (Advantages: Diehard, Great Endurance)
Protection: Protection 3 (+3 Toughness)
Regeneration: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)

Kinetic Speed Array Cost 16
*Flattening Wake: Line Area Affliction 6 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Prone, DC 16; Affects Insubstantial: half ranks, Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 16, Reaction 3: reaction; Instant Recovery, Limited: Directly Behind You, Limited Degree)
*Kinetic Blast: Damage 6 (kinetic, DC 21; Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets)
*Lightning Disarm (Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 16, Disarming, Selective)
*Rapid Strike: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 21; Dangerous, Multiattack, Penetrating 6)

Offense
Initiative +5
Flattening Wake: Line Area Affliction 6 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 16)
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 13)
Kinetic Blast: Damage 6, +6 (DC 21)
Rapid Strike: Strength-based Damage 3, +6 (DC 21) Crit 19-20
Throw, +6 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 18)

Complications
Curse of Speed: The world is in slow motion to him. He reacts, thinks and moves faster than normal people which can frustrate him.
Barry in the new Flash season seems to have a handle of this complication.
Impulse from the comics is shown to be impatient.
Quicksilver from the comics seems to be temperamental while waiting on everyone to catch up with him.

For Wade it is like having hyper activity which increases his anxiety at times and allows him to be easily frustrated when things do not happen at the speed is getting used to.

Flashbacks: it is one thing to read about war it is another thing to be in the war and come home. Some people made it, some were wounded and others did not make it back. That was the normal world before the merge. Now Wade survived a battle which broke his body with things not of this world so that adds to traumatic

Motivation: Patriotism: "Semper Fi" The Marines moto for always faithful. He served in an organization that had a reputation for making the impossible situations possible.

Motivation: Responsibility: Wade is able to serve again. He is responsible for the team, the mission and with his new abilities he can help other people.

Motivation: Thrills: He can run up walls and at enhanced speeds. He can react faster than normal people and take out enemies before they know what is happening.
Secret: The powers he has developed since the event that triggered his abilities seem to focus around making him survive combat against enemies.
His healing factor fixed his body.
He seems to be empowered from an unknown energy source that gives him great speed and a basic energy blast.
It is unknown what this energy is and how it will affect him in the future.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 7/4, Parry 7/5, Fortitude 6, Toughness 5, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 20 + Powers 49 + Advantages 17 + Skills 19 (57 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 120
Last edited by Shadow13 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shadow13

Post by Shadow13 »

edited.
Last edited by Shadow13 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Not a huge problem, but can you put both build and background in the same post? The link in the post of sheet linkage currently posts to your first half.
Shadow13

Post by Shadow13 »

Bladewind wrote:Not a huge problem, but can you put both build and background in the same post? The link in the post of sheet linkage currently posts to your first half.
Done
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Bladewind wrote:As with previous Merge games, I offered and Neo accepted.... so I will start build reviews in the next few days...

Love the concepts thus far !
Hmmm I was sure I saw an Abigail build somewhere ;)
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

There is. I did it as an alternate concept, It's in my build thread. My submission is the t800.

:D
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

StarGuard wrote: Hannibal King
I'm trying to simulate the movie character but with some depth drawn from his comic book origins. It explains his detective skills and knowledge of the supernatural beyond vampires. I think Dracula is already in the Merge but if not let's bring him (or Whistler) and Abigail (lost in the crossover) as elements Hannibal adds to the universe.
Build Review:

So, most of my comments require ruling from Neo, but so far I like this build.
Oh, and I added the two characters mentioned above to the main post of cross-over XDs.

:arrow: I'm thinking that your Presence Advantages are : Fearless, Hide-in-Plain Sight and Well-Informed. IIRC, from the original game, NeoPaladin nixed Fearless as a bonus advantage... However, you also have Assessment so you still balance. I would need a ruling from Neo if Hide in Plain Sight is acceptable...
:arrow: Its good flavor for the character, but I personally don't think I've seen combat in PbP reach ten rounds...
:arrow: I'm also not sure of Neo's requirements for Firearms - is Firearms acceptable, or does the character need handguns, rifles, etc...
:arrow: You forgot a complication - Wise Ass. :P
:arrow: I find it really interesting that you traded up on Dodge and Parry... IIRC (and I do because you made me rewatch that movie...) King takes a helluva beating and keeps on going...
:arrow: For Equipment... on the handguns, I'd actually double the damage and take Split to represent two guns being shot simultaneously. It's not overly game killing IMO, and since if you fire at one target, it's one save and one potential for damage... Anyhoo, that is also Neo's call, but since your guns are all AP of each other, you have the points to make them interesting.
:arrow: You sold yourself short with the shotgun. According to the Gadget Guide, Shotguns are actually 11 EP (Still fitting in your array), and have an Alt Effect themselves of Ranged Damage 5, Accurate, 2 ranks Limited to targets without Protection)
:arrow: As an Alt Effect, your Sniper Rifle could easily have a scope (Extended Vision) and Enhanced Aim
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Shadow13 wrote:
Bladewind wrote:Not a huge problem, but can you put both build and background in the same post? The link in the post of sheet linkage currently posts to your first half.
Done
Thanks !
Shadow13 wrote:Codename: Patriot X
Ht: 5 9 Wt: 190
Build Review

:arrow: Your building skill has definitely improved with time ! Just a cursory glance shows a distinct lack of the issues that used to creep up in your builds. I also note a much stronger background built into the character with your advantages and choices in skills.
:arrow: The only issue I have with the powers is the limit on movement - For Water Walking, a limit of while moving I would say yes, but for Wall Crawling I'd think it would be a quirk at best. Neo has final say though
:arrow: Semantics... but I would trade the ranks in Protection to Defensive Roll.
:arrow: Does he need the Temper Complication? I find those to be the ones that sow disharmony amongst players...
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

MacynSnow wrote:Colonel Rick Flag Jr. Averaged PL 7.6
Build Review

:arrow: I'd like to see your point totals to make sure we align...
:arrow: PL 7.6... Gonna have to make a decision there.... PL 7/105 or PL 8/90 (Looks like you went for the 7/105 though...)
:arrow: Although I applaud the investment in skills, pragmatically there is a lot of overlap in there...
:arrow: Lip Reading should be a Language (Advantage) (Cost wise, its the same...) That's how I am recording for now on my copy of your sheet.
:arrow: My first instinct is, Colonel with no Presence/ Charisma... but I like !
:arrow: I think you used the wrong Attribute for Ranged Attack - I get +12 (which breaks caps with Damage 5 weapons...
:arrow: I count 67 ranks but you seem to have paid for 69...
:arrow: See my comments for Hannibal King on the light pistol, and using AE for the various guns, I come to 22 EP.
:arrow: Needs some polish, but good start.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

That's three of the eight submissions reviewed... Had only intended to do one, so that's a great start...

Will try to do the rest y Wednesday.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

StarGuard wrote: Hannibal King
I'm trying to simulate the movie character but with some depth drawn from his comic book origins. It explains his detective skills and knowledge of the supernatural beyond vampires. I think Dracula is already in the Merge but if not let's bring him (or Whistler) and Abigail (lost in the crossover) as elements Hannibal adds to the universe.
Build Review:

So, most of my comments require ruling from Neo, but so far I like this build.
Oh, and I added the two characters mentioned above to the main post of cross-over XDs.

:arrow: I'm thinking that your Presence Advantages are : Fearless, Hide-in-Plain Sight and Well-Informed. IIRC, from the original game, NeoPaladin nixed Fearless as a bonus advantage... However, you also have Assessment so you still balance. I would need a ruling from Neo if Hide in Plain Sight is acceptable...

Would be sad to lose it from his personality but if so, okay. Hide in Plain Sir just oozes the presence of vampire to me. Sure I can find ways around them if need be.

:arrow: Its good flavor for the character, but I personally don't think I've seen combat in PbP reach ten rounds...

Absolutely. Most the points spent in Powers are for nothing but the flavor.

:arrow: I'm also not sure of Neo's requirements for Firearms - is Firearms acceptable, or does the character need handguns, rifles, etc...

:| Crossing fingers and spending Hero Point.

:arrow: You forgot a complication - Wise Ass.

. . . and Taunt suddenly becomes a good switch for Fearless huzzah 8-)

:P :arrow: I find it really interesting that you traded up on Dodge and Parry... IIRC (and I do because you made me rewatch that movie...) King takes a helluva beating and keeps on going...

Yeah I've been looking at that myself on a second and third pass. I'd rather not compromise the entire build but advice on changing that up are welcome.

:arrow: For Equipment... on the handguns, I'd actually double the damage and take Split to represent two guns being shot simultaneously. It's not overly game killing IMO, and since if you fire at one target, it's one save and one potential for damage... Anyhoo, that is also Neo's call, but since your guns are all AP of each other, you have the points to make them interesting.

I don't get the math for that off the top of my head, but will look at it. If Neo if good it sounds cool.

:arrow: You sold yourself short with the shotgun. According to the Gadget Guide, Shotguns are actually 11 EP (Still fitting in your array), and have an Alt Effect themselves of Ranged Damage 5, Accurate, 2 ranks Limited to targets without Protection)
:arrow: As an Alt Effect, your Sniper Rifle could easily have a scope (Extended Vision) and Enhanced Aim.

I meant to make a note to refer to main rulebook for shotguns if it ever comes up thanks. Awesome ideas on the Sniper Rifle also.

I might scale back his overall shooty goodness if I get the tough flip worked out. Alrhough I want to remain true to his comic book Private Detective skills. Less rifleman and more street fighting brawler definitely is the way to go to simulate Reynolds version of King.
(Rifleman? and now I'm thinking the Merge has been missing a good cowboy genre influence :))
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Hide in Plain Sight...no, sorry. It's got nothing to do with your character's presence but with agility and skill. If it's a result of the vampiric element, it's best suited as a part of his powers via enhanced advantage. Also, fearless is still nixed.

Firearms as a broad skill is ok. We are still talking about comic book characters here...

I am okay with Bladewind's rulings on the equipment.