[2.5e] Freedom City Adventures - IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
badpenny

[2.5e] Freedom City Adventures - IC

Post by badpenny »

It’s a warm, spring weekend in Freedom City. The trees have begun to bud, grass is regaining its emerald hue and many citizens have traded their weather-battered cars for bicycles. But even on days like this, crime doesn’t take a vacation.

You become aware of a break-in at the National Bank on Madison in Mid-Town. What are you doing?
Let's just get into it. You can establish pre-existing relationships with one another, but you're not a team, per se, yet. You can detail how you learn of this (anything from, oh, I'm in the bank; to being on patrol, listening in on the police scanner, etc).

Few housekeeping rules:

Please use coyotecode.net/roll for all rolls and be so kind to use your character name. Not because I don't trust you, but because I'd like to look back at the rolls for statistical purposes, especially when it comes to rolling with Advantage/Disadvantage, so remember to use .high or .low when doing so.

I prefer OOC comments that are directly related to your IC post to be made at the bottom of the post set off in a quote box. General OOC commentary is better suited to the OOC thread.

Ask rule questions in the OOC thread so everyone can see them.
Last edited by badpenny on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
FuzzyBoots

Re: [2.5e] Freedom City Adventures - IC

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Palooka Joe
HP: 0

John soared high above the city, his Palooka Bipolar Boots — Fun for the whole family! Do tricks at parties! — gently buoying him, countering the power of gravity that wanted to drag him down, his Palooka Visor — Explore the wonders of science with our interactive readouts and built-in binoculars and microscope! And don't worry, Ma, we're wholesome; we don't do X-Ray Specs here — providing feedback on a million little details of what he saw, his Palooka Communicator — Works over distances of miles! Hundreds of channels so no cross-talk! — buzzing with his brother's voice.
"Palooka Joe, it looks like there may be malefactors in the National Bank." John had to suppress a snicker as his brother read the melodramatic lines with flat affect. "I want you to provide a presence there. Maybe you can stand things down before they get rowdy." John saluted thin air, knowing the motion would be lost over the radio waves, but that Joseph would know he was doing it from long exasperated experience.
"Aye aye, Control," he said crisply, "Moving to intercept. Will keep you updated."

He moved with ease through the clouds — Fast! Maneuverable! Bring space-age technology used in cutting-edge fighter jets into your life with Bradley's own Palooka Biploar Boots! — until he was over the bank. Looking down at where the police were beginning to set up a cordon, he began to descend, adjusting his Palooka Communicator to try to find the appropriate frequency band to listen in and to announce that he was incoming. A twinge from the scar on his right thigh prompted him to also tap a discreet button on his Palooka Deflector Belt — Tired of getting sand kicked in your face? Use your head and buy a Palooka Deflector Belt. This product is meant for amusement purposes only and Bradley Technologies is not responsible for inappropriate use of this product in combat situations. — just in case they, or the criminals, were a bit trigger-happy.
OOC wrote:Moving to the bank and attempting to approach non-threateningly. I figured the police being there was a reasonable assumption. Perception: 1D20+12 = [12]+12 = 24 to scan things, just for the sake of getting a roll in. His vision is Extended, so it's a -1 every 100 feet instead of every 10, and is Analytical, which might give him other interesting info as you wish to disclose it. :geek:
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

PunchLine!
HP: 1
Condition: Not very good at this

"--its from precincts-- TCHHHH --break in at National Bank on-- KRTCH --and Maddison. Requesting backup. Repeat, this is officer-" Itachi tuned out the rest of the broadcast, ecstatic that he the scanner he picked up was actually working again! It was brand new a days ago, but he'd accidentally crunched it this morning. He'd freaked out about what he was going to do, since the thing cost almost half the pay he got from his recent gigs. But it seemed things weren't so bad after all.

Throwing on his costume, he raced up to the roof and prepared himself for take off. The Bank was about six miles from his building in Lincoln, so he should in theory be able to make it with a few jumps. He might even be able to make it in one, but he's only recently discovered his ability to leap such vast distances. Punchline leaned forward on his left leg, getting ready to spring towards the riverfront. "Three... two...ONE!"

The first few times were a success, but then came the jump he had to make to cross the river. Steeling himself and giving a running start, he took off... and sailed a lot farther then he anticipated. ""No no no no this isn't what I planned at allLLL!" He screamed, as he practically flew over the river, passing by the Fens, before finally slamming straight into a building on Maddison. He groaned in pain, before managing to peel himself out of his crater. As dumb luck would have it, he could spot the police cruisers further down the street.

With a smile, he made his way over with another leap, gentler this time."Punchline reporting, ready to leap into the fray!" He announced triumphantly, as if he hadn't just cracked the ground under his feat.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Zephyr hp: 1

Leslie was on her way to the Library when a plethora of police cars flew past at an unsafe rate of speed. It didn't take a genius to realize that something important was happening.

"You can just drop me off here. I'll walk the rest of the way. It's a nice day for a walk" she told the cab driver.

When the cab pulled over she handed the driver enough money for the fare and a generous tip. The cabbie thanked her and invited her to call him for a ride anytime. Leslie wasn't sure if he was trying to hit on her or not. She had always been a bit clueless figuring out if someone was flirting or had a crush on her.

After the cab pulled away she ran down an alley between buildings, creating a small dust storm behind her to obscure her from any onlookers. Within seconds, Leslie was gone and Zephyr was rapidly flying away, following the police cars from above.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Power Core
Hero Points: One. Improvisation: Two.
Condition: Normal.

Power Core soared over Wading river, his arms held rigidly at his sides, he controlled the reaction propelling him through the skies. Moments ago he had been wrapping up a lecture on nuclear physics, that was when his phone had chimed. Jenna McKnight, an AEGIS analyst had helped him establish the network connection that would allow him to monitor low level AEGIS alerts; situations that would normally be handed to FCPD. He began to approach the National Bank on Madison, he lowered his altitude, circling the building once, ensuring that there were no look outs on the roof.

Alek landed softly, avoiding the three point landing so favored by the heroes of Freedom City. He did not wish to alert the intruders to his presence, at least not yet. He wanted a clear picture of the situation, especially the location of the hostages. Once he had determined that, he would approach ... ahh, yes. A short, thin man in red & white spandex was already talking to the lead officer, while another hovered close by, it appeared that he wasn't the first super-human to appear on site.

He returned his attention to the roof, focused his vision and began to scan the building for the intruders and their civilian hostages.
OOC: A Perception check to try to see both the Intruders & Hostages. Perception check to determine location of Intruders & Hostages within Bank.: 1D20+10 = [7]+10 = 17, not a great roll, however given my vision penetrates concealment, so I should be able to locate the majority of them.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

National Bank

As the heroes descend on the bank, they see the band of robbers overpower the cops and steal their patrol car! The men were dressed in street clothes but wearing various horror-themed masks. They peel out in the police car and head away leaving two officers down--one by the entrance to the bank, and the other lying in the street!
We have a Large car at Speed 2 (Speed 3 in one round), 5 thugs, and choices!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

PunchLine!
Condition: Being reckless and heroic

Seeing the car speeding away, he sighs in frustration. Seems he got here just a bit too late... but not late enough! There's still time to stop this. Bending down slightly, he launches himself past the car and slams into the ground just ten feet ahead of it. Then he turns just in time to grab the front bumper, digging his heels into the concrete. "Whoa! Slow down there officers! We don't want anyone to get hurt now do we?" He comments, while grimacing from the force.
------------
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

It was easy enough to locate the once speeding police cars. They were parked in front of National bank. Either it was free donut day or there was a robbery in progress. As she started descending she witnessed a group of robbers overpower the city police. Then they had the audacity to steal a police car! The car was speeding away but there were injured officers. The other heroes can handle the car.

She landed close to the downed officers. She had to be careful because the wind generated by her flight sometimes whipped small objects around.

"Someone call for an ambulance!"

She knelt next to one of the officers and quickly looked over his wounds. None looked too serious but medical attention was always the best way to handle an injury.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Palooka Joe

Joe settled down by Zephyr.
"Can I give a hand here? Not a doctor, but I know first aid and I've got a BradleyTech medkit on my belt." He suited actions to words, quickly taking vitals. In truth, most of what he'd done was quick patches and set bones, but hopefully, it was enough. His steady hands and calm voice belied the inner tremor of self doubt.

"You know those defib kits that walk you through the procedure? Same thing here. You can just hook them up, check their vitals, and it'll guide you through everything, easy-peasy." He added with a chuckle, "I turned it off on this one because I have training and if I let it do the sales pitch without me, I might be out of a job!"
OOC wrote:_: 1D20+10 = [9]+10 = 19 Oof. Should have Taken 10. Ah well.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Power Core

Alek floated down beside Punchline, "May wish to close your eyes hero, can't have the gunmen here able to return fire." He positioned himself behind Punchline, as that would shield his eyes from the plasma flare that he began to emit. With a soft fwoosh! the plasma ignited, brilliant pure white fire, like a miniature sun.
OOC: Move action to land behind and to Punchline's left, Standard Action to activate Brilliant Plasma Cloud, 50 ft radius around Power Core, DC 20 Reflex Check, followed by a DC 20 Reflex Check (if initial Check failed), or DC 15 Reflex check (if initial check succeeded). If 2nd Reflex check fails, target is Blinded. Fortitude Check to recover.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

National Bank

Punchline lands in front of the speeding patrol car, plants his feet and exerts his terrific strength. The police car slows, but not enough for Punchline to arrest it and the vehicle slams into him. The front of the cruiser collapses as if it hit a solid wall!

Power Core's blinding energy burst sent every man in the stolen police cruiser to yelling at the loss of their sight, their hands flying to their faces. Two bystanders on the sidewalk at the periphery of the burst shrieked at the dazzling display, and they too pawed at their eyes.
Since the STR check wasn't enough to completely stop the cop car (it was reduced to Speed 1) it Slams into Punchline. With his Impervious and Immovable, the car is stopped and totaled; Punchline none the worse for wear. The car wasn't going fast enough to bother with any kind of Damage for the occupants.

Power Core warns Punchline of his Dazzle, so he can shield his eyes. It is a verbal warning, within ear shot of the targets, but they don't know Power Core or what he can do, so they can't take advantage of it. None of them make the Area or the Dazzle check and all are Blinded.

This is going down on a crowded street, so bystanders are aplenty. With the Dazzle's 50 ft. radius, that'll catch 2 bystanders.

Zephyr and Palooka Joe help the downed cops. With nothing harder than a DC 15 Medicine check needed, a 19 is plenty. They should be okay with further medical attention; The BradleyTech medkit comes back with a diagnosis of: Concussion, Non-Penetrating Trauma. Most likely the robbers' rifle stocks.

With the robbers blinded, it's the heroes' turns again. Post in any order.
Last edited by badpenny on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Palooka Joe

Joe straightened up and spoke to what crowd existed around them. "He's going to be fine folks. Blunt trauma is all. He is stable and we will leave him to the city's able paramedics." He then looked to the two heroes by the car.

"If you folks have them in hand, I will check the interior of the bank with my fellow hero here," he said, motioning to Zephyr.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Satisfied that the downed officers were not seriously injured, she looked around the area. It was gratifying to see 2 other heroes had stopped the car. From the looks of it, rather abruptly. Freedom city will need a new police cruiser.

"Good idea. Let's investigate the interior. The may have left unpleasant surprises like explosives. It would be best if we found any so the employees are not injured."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

PunchLine!
Condition: Normal

"Close my eyes, why would-" He started, but didn't get a chance to finish. Luckily by facing away from his fellow hero he managed to avoid the worst of it,but he still had to blink the stars out of his eyes while stumbling slightly. "Right. That's why I needed to close them, so I don't get blinded by science. Gotcha- Whoa hey, I've heard about you! Powercore, right? Awesome meeting you here. What do you say we we go have a chat with these guys, huh?"

Walking around the car, he tests to see if it's unlocked. The robbers might've been in too much of a hurry to get that far after all. If it is however, he'll proceed to put a little more force into getting it open. Not like the car isn't pretty wrecked already, after all.
------------
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Power Core

Alek frowned when he saw the two bystanders stagger, and begin to rub at their eyes. The effects of the plasma flare are temporary, but still, he could have caused them to stumble into traffic or worse. He mentally chided himself as he hovered over to the drivers side window, there was another brilliant flare as his hand phased into drivers chest, creating a fission reaction that would disrupt his biologic functions. The feeling would be similar to the on set of a heart attack, painful, disorienting, but far from lethal.

"Drop any weapons you have to the floor of the car gentlemen, your attempt at robbery has been a failure. Let us end it peacefully and painlessly."
OOC: Free action to switch Array from Plasma Cloud to Critical Fission. Move action to move adjacent to the vehicle, Standard action to attack the Driver with Critical Fission. Power Attack for -2 Acc & +2 Effect. Driver is currently Blind, loses his dodge bonus to Defense, and suffers an additional –2 modifier to Defense. Critical Fission vs Driver; Power Attack -2 Acc, +2 Effect (DC 27 Fort): 1D20+8 = [19]+8 = 27. A good roll, that does not look like it will end well for the wheelman.