Heroes in the City of Tomorrow (ooc)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hero4hire

Re: Heroes in the City of Tomorrow (recruiting)

Post by Hero4hire »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:
Hero4hire wrote:I don't really consider Sidekick a Social Advantage. I maybe would allow Daze and Startle as they directly relate to Presence. Benefit, Connected, Contacts etc are what I was talking about.
Hmmm, I'll see what I can think up instead. The sidekick was a tacked on thing anyway I suppose as I wasn't sure what to get as social advantages. Already get's a few of them, situationally ofc, through the powers he has access to. I'll give it some serious thought when I'm back home and van lookit the books.
It is my fault for not being more specific. I am editing 1st post and adding list of advantages.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Can Well-Informed, if you use it with Persuasion, be one of the free advantages from a Presence rank? If not I need to edit my character again.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Psistrike wrote:Can Well-Informed, if you use it with Persuasion, be one of the free advantages from a Presence rank? If not I need to edit my character again.
Yes
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Love Ken's submission. Chill pretty pretty awesome too. I see at least four really rocking entries and not a bad one in the bunch. You have quite the row to hoe when it comes to choosing from this group when all is said and done H4H. I'll be submitting the telekinetic/telepath tomorrow, I hope to keep up the quality of the group.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

I'm excited to be part of this forum, and am putting together a character for possible submission now. I am currently struggling with HeroMachine so as to provide an accompanying image, but the basic concept is a Rom expy from Grenda in Sector 3009. I'll have something up today.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Okay- I've shuffled things around for Nicolas, adding here and there and what not. Removed the familiar entirely, and have gone with a different story angle. Tried to stick too far away from the "dark avenger" stereotyping so he would be quite as out of place as before, but we'll see how it turns out eh? ...I may or may not have also decided to copy Psistrike's formatting.

(It's actually really clever and quite detailed, might need to continue using it in the future. You have my official thanks for providing the example. ;P)
ZenGypsy wrote:If this is still in recruitment, I have a concept that would work and if like to try. It would be based off of the sharpshooter archetype, but since I've always hated truck arrows, he'd probably use some type of high tech energy bow.
Oh yeah, truck arrows are just awful. Far too unwieldy, and hardly energy efficient either. ;)
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

I am not at my computer and haven't put her through Herolab. But at a glance I have some comments, observations.

1) Concept is solidly within the 4 color feel I have in mind.

2) • [b]Cold Projection:[/b] Environment [Extreme cold] 14, Precise, Triggered [Exposure to intense or extreme heat] • 1 point This is in an array but has Triggered on it. To be useful your Array has to be in this slot when the trigger goes off. You won't be able to use it until the trigger goes off. Mechanically this seems kinda cruddy. The circumstances of you having your array in this slot when you get exposed to extreme heat and then make it frigid in a 30 mile radius seems unlikely.

3) 2 ranks of Luck. I usually reserve multiple ranks of Luck to characters where it is thematically appropriate. Nothing about this concept hinges on Luck so I will allow 1 rank of it.

Psistrike wrote:Chill PL 10
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hero4hire wrote:Love love love the concept!
A couple of questions, observations.

Close Combat. He is actually Size Rank -7. This ends up making you only +5 on normal sized folk. So he is PL 8.5 offensively almost all of the time. I see what you were going for but it would be so rare that he caps out (against 60 foot opponents!) that it is hardly worth the Point.

Why is he not Persuasive when small? How does he have Cypher? Wouldn't anyone knowing of Kandor just figure it out from his size and power set?

He is off on some of the Kryptonian Powers...Some I easily justify as his small stature, like no Super-breath and Impervious.
But he has no super-hearing, half effect Life Support instead of just Environmental effects.(which is odd because it amounted to the same point cost.)

I know it is difficult to manage the PP costs and the Kryptonian Optics array looked like a good way to manage them.

Just spitballing. People have often have used Kryptonian Heat Vision as a Alt effect of his Strength? That may be doable?
The Size Rank -7 vs size rank -8 is my mistake. Even so, taking it into account my copy of Hero Lab says he'd be 9.5. Actually, the main idea for the quirk is that against other small characters, he's a lousy fighter. If that's not worth the point, that's fine. But that was the idea.

Not persuasive when small: I picture trying to convince people to do things as being very difficult if they see you as just a tiny little person. Again negotiable.

Cipher: Figuring out that he's Kandorian: easy. Figuring out who he was IN Kandor, who is family and friends there were, difficult. Basically, as far as Earth people go, his life story goes no further than "he's from Kandor" which doesn't seem to me to say a whole lot. If I oughtn't take it, okay.

You're right, he needs super-hearing.

Life Support: I wasn't sure which way to go. My personal head canon for Superman says it should just be the full 10 pointer, but... there's the management thing.

I've seen the Heat Vision alternated off of Strength thing. I understand it, but don't like it much, so I try to avoid it.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hero4hire wrote:This was with some quick point shuffling.
I'll take a look.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Ken wrote:I've seen the Heat Vision alternated off of Strength thing. I understand it, but don't like it much, so I try to avoid it.
Could you make his Super-Senses Sustained (+0), and then AE Heat Vision off of those? It's kind of hard to see miles away, or through walls, when you are firing lasers out of your eyeballs ...

Not sure if the points work, but you could flaw it with Distracting, or Full Round or something like that ...
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

ZenGypsy wrote:
Could you make his Super-Senses Sustained (+0), and then AE Heat Vision off of those? It's kind of hard to see miles away, or through walls, when you are firing lasers out of your eyeballs ...

Not sure if the points work, but you could flaw it with Distracting, or Full Round or something like that ...
That was the 1st approach. A dynamic array.

While it may seem hard to do it...Superman makes it look easy. He has used his senses in conjunction with Heat Vision.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Okay. Trying again.

I reduced his super-stats to the levels Kal-El has in the H&V books (STR 19-3 = +16 STR, STA 14-3 = STA +11) taking into account Clark has that strapping famrboy thing (being STR and STA 3 sans powers).

Added some lifting only STR, since that seems to be Kryptonian thing.

Still have the Heat Vision an alternate of his sustained optical senses, though it's no longer dynamic. Maybe he'll learn that later.

He has Super-Hearing now. It isn't Acute, yet, because he hasn't actually learned to filter it as well as other, more experienced Kryptonian.

I removed the lowered Persuasion.

His accuracy with powers still stems from being tiny, but there's no quirk or anything.

If you PM me an e-mail address, I'll send you the Hero Lab *.POR file I have.

Speeding Bullet - PL 10

Strength 11/-5, Stamina 6/0, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
Benefit, Cipher 2, Close Attack 9, Languages 1, Move-by Action

Skills
Deception 2 (+2), Expertise: Accounting 3 (+5), Perception 1 (+3), Persuasion 1 (+1)

Powers
Thanks, Brainiac
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait -10 (Linked; Traits: Stamina -5 (+6); Permanent [12 extra ranks])
. . Hitting Larger targets: Enhanced Trait 9 (Linked; Advantages: Close Attack 9)
. . Shrinking: Shrinking 20 (Linked; -5 STR, -10 Intimidate, +20 Stealth, +10 active defenses, -5 size ranks, -2 speed ranks; Permanent)
Kryptonian Hearing: Senses 2 (Extended: Hearing 1: x10, Ultra-hearing)
Kryptonian Invulnerability
. . Immunity: Immunity 4 (Disease, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All); Limited - Half Effect)
. . Immunity: Immunity 5 (Environmental Conditions (All))
. . Protection: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
Kryptonian Movement
. . Faster than an Express Train: Speed 9 (Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round)
. . It's a Bug... It's a Bullet: Flight 9 (Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round; Distracting)
. . Tall Buildings: Leaping 9 (Leap 0.5 miles at 250 miles/hour in 6 seconds)
Kryptonian Optics
. . Heat Vision: Damage 9 (DC 24; Accurate: +2, Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.)
. . Super Vision: Senses 12 (Extended: Vision 3: x1k, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4: atom-size, Penetrates Concealment: Vision; Sustained)
Kryptonian Strength: Enhanced Strength 2 (+2 STR; Limited to Lifting)
Under a Yellow Sun: Enhanced Trait 54 (Traits: Strength +16 (+11), Stamina +11 (+6))

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 21)
Heat Vision: Damage 9, +11 (DC 24)
Throw, +0 (DC 26)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 26)

Complications
Disability: Narg-Ul is a Kandorian, out of the bottle, but still stuck at tiny size. He does not interact with every day objects normally.
Family Shame: Narg-Ul is a second cousin to the infamous Faora Hu-Ul. This means he's also related to her father Hu-Ul who's villainy (alongside Lo-Gar and Rom-Lok) is less well known, but still a source of shame.
Kryptonite, Red Sun, Magic: Narg-Ul has all the typical Kryptonian weaknesses to pieces of his planet, etc and he can't see through lead.
Stranger in a Strange Land: Narg-Ul was born and raised in Kryptonian society. Earth is a strange, sometimes wondrous, but also a frightening place.

Languages
English, Kryptonian

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 8 + Powers 132 + Advantages 4 + Skills 4 (7 ranks) + Defenses 2 = 150
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Looks good. I will point check it later. The close attack vs same size opponents can be done as a Complication.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

I will say I have a fondness for the Intelligent Monkey schtick. I am currently playing "Kid Kong" in a Legion game and once played an armored ape named "Brass Monkey".

Also as melee sci-fi weapons go I love chainswords. I was 1st introduced to them around over 35 years ago in a Savage Sword of Conan backup story called "Abslom Daak; Dalek Killer".

Despite my love of the weapon...toting a chainsword and chaingun in downtown Metropolis is a no-go. Using them against opponents is more so. I know there is no difference technically by the rules between killing and non killing damage...But the buck stops at these weapons. LOL.
Chogokin wrote:Hello! I had an account over on the Green Ronin forums back when they were the Atomic Think Tank, mostly just as a lurker, however. I heard about this board from RPG.net, and came over to look around a bit. I haven't played any M&M since 2nd edition, although I have owned the 3rd edition rules since they were printed. I'm in a part of the country with no nearby live gaming groups, so I eke out a meager existence playing some games on Roll20. To tell the truth though, I'm a bit sick of Pathfinder and 5th Edition D&D, so I would love a chance to break out of that rut.

I present to you a perhaps rather odd concept, "Grease Monkey." As you are no doubt aware, DC has a long tradition of primate characters. Gorilla Grodd is perhaps the most famous, with characters including Solovar, Monsieur Mallah, and Ultra-Humanite showing up from time to time. I rather enjoy the slightly wacky Silver Age flavor, and I also like a heroic moniker that's a bad pun. This character was born on Champions Online, which has a rather nice hero creation system that allows one to adjust proportions and posture to the extent that one create a fairly convincing gorilla, even a gorilla in power armor. As I don't happen to have any screen shots of that character, and I no longer have Champions Online installed, instead I shall share some art from the defunct miniatures wargame AT-43:

I'm pretty rusty with M&M, so I tried to keep the build fairly simple. Basically, I used the 3rd edition Player's Handbook, and merged the Battlesuit Archetype on page 35 with the Ape write up on page 118. I made a few alterations here and there to get everything to fit, point-wise, and also to keep a certain flavor and set of abilities suggested both by the Champions Online power set and the artwork from the AT-43 Karman faction. Grease Monkey is literally more of a 'grease 'n gears' mechanical engineer than a sleek 'computers and electronics' type.

As far as background goes, I don't really have anything firm. The advantage of that is the character is pretty flexible, and I would be more than happy to tie him in to important NPC's and organizations in the setting. Grease Monkey, or as he is legally known, Wallace, is a young, adult male silverback gorilla, around 15 years old. He developed his human intelligence while he was still an infant. He may have been kidnapped from a zoo or even from Africa, to be used as a test subject for some kind of illegal intelligence augmentation therapy, possibly by an independent scientist, or by a scientist with ties to an unscrupulous company such as LexCorp or Stagg Enterprises. In any case, he wound up being genetically modified, exposed to alien gases or radiation, implanted with a computer, or something along those lines. Eventually he was rescued by a superhero, perhaps Superman himself, or someone like Steel or Guardian, and given over to a benevolent scientific organization such as S.T.A.R. Labs to be monitored. While there, he demonstrated his enhanced intelligence and ability to communicate. Wallace had a natural aptitude for mechanical invention, and thanks to some fortuitous legal maneuvers, was able to establish several patents and become independently wealthy from his work.

Wallace wants to be seen as something more than an eccentric monkey millionaire genius. Given the many examples of superheroes in the world, he has decided to join their ranks by building himself some armor and fighting to protect the common citizens of Metropolis. It's a rather extreme way of making friends, but its how Wallace has chosen to go about meeting people, earning respect, and showing that he is more than just a talking animal.

Grease Monkey

Power Level 10, 150 PP; Abilities 42 + Powers 57 + Advantages 9 + Skills 15 + Defenses 27

Abilities:
  • Strength 12 (BV 4, Growth +2, Servomotors +6)
  • Stamina 4 (BV 2, Growth +2)
  • Agility 3
  • Dexterity 1
  • Fighting 3
  • Intellect 5
  • Awareness 1
  • Presence 2
Offense:
  • Init +3
  • Chaingun Dmg 10 (Multiattack, Unreliable (5 uses)), Atk +10*, DC 25, Rng 250/500/1000, Crit 20
  • Chainsaw Dmg 10 (Penetrating 10), Atk +10*, DC 25, Crit 17
  • Throw Dmg 12, Atk +8, DC 27, Crit 20
  • Unarmed Dmg 12, Atk +8, DC 27, Crit 20
*Attack values shown include bonus from Combat Computer for that attack

Defense:
  • Dodge 8
  • Parry 8
  • Fort 10
  • Tough 12 (8 Impervious)
  • Will 10
  • Hero Points 1
Powers:
Combat Exoskeleton (50 PP, Removable)
  • Combat Computer (8 PP, Array)
    • Melee Targeting (Close Attack 4, Improved Critical (Chainsaw) 3) (Free - Personal - Sustained)
    • Ranged Targeting (Ranged Attack 6, Improved Aim) (Free - Personal - Sustained)
  • Weapon Systems (21 PP, Array)
    • Chaingun Dmg 10, Multiattack, Unreliable (5 uses) (Standard - Ranged, 250/500/1000 ft. - Instant)
    • Chainsaw Dmg 10, Penetrating 10 (Standard - Close - Instant)
  • Swinglines: Movement 2 Sure-footed 1, Swinging (Free - Personal - Sustained)
  • Super Swinging: Speed 4 Speed: 30 miles per hour, 500 ft/round; Limited: Only for Swinging (Move - Personal - Sustained)
  • Exoskeletal Armor: Protection 8 +8 Toughness (Personal - Permanent)
  • Reinforced Armor: Impervious Toughness 8 (Free - Personal - Continuous)
  • Servomotors: Enhanced Strength 6 (Free - Personal - Sustained)
Gorilla Senses: Senses 2 Acute Smell, Low-light Vision (Personal - Permanent)
Gorilla Size: Growth 2 +2 STR, +2 STA, +1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 Active Defenses, +2 Mass Ranks, Innate, Permanent (Free - Personal - Permanent)

Advantages:
  • Benefit, Status: Protected Animal
  • Benefit, Wealth 3 (millionaire)
  • Close Attack 1
  • Inventor
  • Ranged Attack 1
  • Skill Mastery: Technology
Skills:
  • Acrobatics +7 (4)
  • Athletics +14 (2)
  • Close Combat +3 (+4 w/ Close Attack) (0)
  • Deception +2 (0)
  • Expertise: Engineering +11 (6)
  • Insight +3 (2)
  • Intimidation +5 (2)
  • Perception +3 (2)
  • Persuasion +4 (2)
  • Ranged Combat (Chaingun) +3 (+4 w/ Ranged Attack) (2)
  • Ranged Combat (Other) +1 (+2 w/ Ranged Attack) (0)
  • Stealth +1 (0)
  • Technology +11 (6)
  • Vehicles +3 (2)
Complications:
  • Motivation: Acceptance As previously described, Wallace, a natural outsider, is trying to find a role to play in the human world.
  • Prejudice: Sentient Ape Wallace is not human, and faces fear and hatred from people who can't see past his species.
  • Quirk: Misfit Wallace is stuck between worlds. He has a human-level, even genius-level intelligence, and he has had access to human culture and human science. In many ways he looks at the world from a human perspective. However, he is not human. His mind inhabits the body of a gorilla, and he often finds himself wrestling with his natural instincts, and trying to figure out how, exactly, he relates to the world. This leads him into feeling awkward in many situations, and acting out in odd ways.
Other ideas: I've left a lot of Wallace's background pretty blank, and that leaves room for other Complications. For example, as an experiment, he may still be hunted or monitored by the organization or people who gave him his human intelligence in the first place. Perhaps they will want to capture him and dissect his brain! The precise method of his augmentation is also left flexible. Could he mutate further? Might there be side effects, such as a brain tumor? Maybe aliens are going to want their gaseous nanotechnology back, or the implanted computer brain boosting his intellect is going to develop its own intelligence and personality and take over his body. Possibly, as a member of an endangered species who was illegally experimented upon, he is now seen as a figure head by an animal rights group, who keep on trying to embroil him in political activism.

House rules: Wallace has 2 levels of Presence, which give him access to some Social Advantages. I think Connected makes the most sense. I also think it might be useful to have a Minion, perhaps a lawyer, who would be his patent attorney or estate manager, something along those lines.

Thank you for your consideration!

Oh, I notice you use Hero Lab. I've got that as well. I can't attach a .por file, apparently, but I'd be happy to email it to you if you want to PM me.
Thanks!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Are you open to a -1PL+15pp tradeoff?
"Something pithy this way comes."