Heroes in the City of Tomorrow (ooc)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hero4hire

Heroes in the City of Tomorrow (ooc)

Post by Hero4hire »

Metropolis is one of the largest and most well-known cities in the United States and is the adopted hometown of Metropolis' favorite son; Superman.
Built upon the island of New Troy, which was bought from the area's natives by Swedish settlers in exchange for trinkets, the city is a skyscraper island bustling with commerce and business. The concrete and steel canyons of the city rise to dizzying heights and has become dubbed as the “City of Tomorrow”.

However Superman is not the only hero in the Big Apricot. Other, novice heroes, looking to make a name from themselves reside in Metropolis fighting the good fight. Can these heroes band together and step out of the long shadow cast from the Man of Steel?

So I am going to give GMing a game here a go again. This will be a PL 10/150pp game using original characters set in the DC Universe. There will be no strict adherence to any particular continuity or version of the DC Universe. This will be an "Iconic" version of DC, but elements of Silver Age, Post-Crisis, New 52, and even the DC Animated Universe may show up.

Characters concepts with ties to DC are encouraged, but I want them to be cool and original. A picture of your character is appreciated.

HOUSE RULES
Impervious: This works like 2e instead of 3e. Ranks are not halved, however Penetrating works like 3e.

Regeneration: Is banned. Model using Healing power with appropriate Modifiers.

Presence: Grants a free advantage per rank from this list
Animal Empathy
Attractive
Benefit (a Fitting one like Status, not Ambidexterity)
Connected
Contacts
Daze
Fascinate
Inspire
Languages
Leadership
Set-Up
Startle
Taunt
Well-Informed

Hero Point Tradeoffs:
Run into that situation where you really need a hero point, but have none left? In such instances, the GM may choose to apply the following option: a player may ask the GM for a hero point in exchange for a complication to follow immediately after that point is used. In essence, the player is “borrowing on credit” and “paying” for the hero point with the complication. Hero points acquired in this way can be spent normally.

Example: Ultramarine’s player is out of hero points and really wants to make her next shot count. So she asks the GM for a point in exchange for an immediate complication. The GM agrees and Ultramarine makes her next attack against the villain using the hero point to help ensure a hit. The overcharge on her armor’s laser shorts out some systems, however, and the GM imposes a power loss complication, saying Ultramarine’s weapon is out of commission until she can make a Technology check to bring it back on-line.

Critical Success on Initiative: A Natural 20 on Initiative rolls adds 5 to the result.

Grabs: Grabs use opposed rolls instead of static checks to succeed or escape.
Last edited by Hero4hire on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hero4hire

Re: Heroes in the City of Tomorrow (recruiting)

Post by Hero4hire »

Hmmm...did I do the Image link wrong?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

*casually tosses his hat into the ring*

I already expressed my interest beforehand, and am currently in the midst of re-working the way I was going to have his summoning abilities done. Hopefully I'll get that all squared away soon enough. Also, I'm not sure what's up with the image hosting on this site. The stuff I've used seem to link just fine, but I've noticed some other people have been having issues... I believe there was something about Photobucket specifically being the issue?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I am considering submitting something. I have a Batman like character I made for a game that never started. I also have several other characters for games over the years that either did not get accepted or the games died quickly.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Hero4hire wrote:Hmmm...did I do the Image link wrong?
Nope, photobucket has been down for maintenance since sometime yesterday evening, so none of the images hosted there will show up right until they are done.

And I'm interested in this game, just have to figure out an idea for a character now.
DeusPravus

Post by DeusPravus »

Alright, posting the character I had mentioned previously, a teleporter that is the divine avatar of the Roman God Janus. Have the build and complications done, will edit this to add in backstory once I work out the kinks there.

Doorman
PL10
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 143 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Identity: Secret

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Powers
Patron of Gateways:
Dimensional Rift: Move Object 10 [Area (burst 30ft) Selective, Damaging; Limited Direction (Toward Center)]
Alt: Usher: Teleport 10 [Attack, Perception Range, Alternate Save Will [Affects Objects]; Distracting, Change Direction, Velocity]
Alt: Gate: Teleport 10 [Adds extras to base Teleport (2 ranks); Portal, Extended, Accurate; Limited to Extended, Distracting; Increased Portal Size 2, Increased Mass 2]
Alt: Shortcut: Teleport 10 [Add extras to base Teleport (2 ranks); Extended, Accurate; Increased Mass 4]
Alt: Thousandfold Doorways: Deflect 10 [Redirect, Reflect; Accurate 4, Indirect 4]
Alt: Broken Fate: Damage 10 [Perception, Secondary Effect, Subtle]
(55 points)

Divine Protection: Protection 6 (6 Points)

Supernatural Senses: Ranged Acute Extended Touch.(4 points)
Glimpses of Fate: Senses 8 [Postcognition, Precognition] (Uncontrollable,Unreliable [May be false], Distracting, Noticeable [Glowing Eyes]) (1 point)

Patron of Doors
Doorman: Teleport 2 [120 ft; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout, Precise]
Alt: Masterkey: Enhanced Trait [Technology 20 (Limited checks to lock or unlock objects) Quickness 6 ( Limited :Security checks), Improvised Tools]
(9 points)

Divine Perks: Quick Change: Feature 1 (costume), Dimension Pocket: Feature 1 [100 lbs]
(2 points)

Equipment None

Advantages
Improved Initiative 1, Evasion 1, Skill Mastery [Acrobatics], Uncanny Dodge [Touch], Agile Feint

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics (+0), Expertise (History) 8 (+8), Insight (+1), Intimidation (+0), Perception 8 (+9), Persuasion (+0), Sleight of Hand 4 (+6), Stealth 4 (+8)

Offense
Initiative +8

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 12
Toughness 8 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 9, Will 9

Combat: Dimension Rift: DC 20 Strength vs getting pulled toward Center, DC 25 Toughness [Area]
Usher: Will 20 Teleport Attack (4 miles)
Thousandfold Doors: +10 Deflect [Redirect, Reflect]
Broken Fate: DC 25 Toughness (Secondary Effect, Perception)

Power Points
Abilities 18 + Powers 77 + Advantages 5 + Skills 15 + Defenses 35 = Total 150

Complications
Divine Avatar: As the avatar of the young Roman god Janus, Doorman is tasked with bringing power to the god through worship and interest by the masses. As well, Doorman may be dragged into any conflict dealing with divinity.

Enemies: Ares, Circe, and agents of the Lords of Chaos.

Reputation Upstart/Relationship Olympians: Many of the Olympian Gods and their agents view Janus as an upstart god, an existence that is an accident. While they general treat Janus (and by extension Doorman) as an ally, it becomes a balancing act between being on the side of good, and not becoming someone whom the Olympians may view as a threat.

Motivation- Doing good- Outside of his duties as an avatar, Doorman simply wants to help those that cannot help themselves. While he may not make as big of a splash as Superman, he seeks to do his part to safeguard society and humanity.

Power Loss- In areas that are divine dead zones, as well as if faith in Janus is weakened.

Relationships- Chloe Conway- Jacob's girlfriend, who also attends Metropolis University. She is aware of his identity as Doorman, and generally supports his actions. Jacob treats Chloe's parents as his own, though they do not know of his superheroics. Soren Titus- Jacob's grandfather whom Jacob still lives with.

Backstory:

Jacob Titus lost his parents in an unfortunate car accident when he was 6, after they were hit by a drunk driver. After a short stay in Midvale Orphanage as his guardianship was worked out, he came to live with his maternal grandfather and his wife in Queensland park, whom had been distant from the rest of their family. His grandfather was an archeologist and had been away for several months during which his daughter past.

Jacob's relationship with his grandfather was complicated. The old man could be a right strict bastard at times, but Jacob loved the world his grandfather's books and journals portrayed, which contained the stories of his excavations, as well as research into the mythology and lore of the areas he worked in. Jacob would spend hours after school retreating into those books, yearning to see those different eras, instead of dealing with the loneliness he felt as his grandfather was often away at a site.

After his grandfather had returned from a dig in Italy in Jacob's junior year of high school, things took quite a strange turn in his life. As first it was a feeling a persistently being watched, and things grew stranger yet as his dreams were filled with visions of the past and future, as well as a hallway of endless doors. Finally, as Jacob was looking through the books in his grandfather's library for a school assignment, he came across an ancient looking coin with heads on each side. When he picked it up, he could feel a surge of power, and an alien conscience entered his mind.

When he opened his eyes, Jacob was standing in the hallway of endless doors, and before his was a large robed figure with fares on both sides of his head. The figure had introduced itself as Janus, the Roman God of doors and beginnings. While he was Ancient, Janus also told Jacob the story of the conflict between the Greek and Roman Gods, and how during the reconciliation period, occasionally some of the gods powers changed, or when elsewhere. In Janus's case, some of the divine energy of Hermes and Hecate drifted away, seizing upon the image of Janus, to fill the void in the pantheon of gods that now were formed anew. So a God long lost, but found anew in the Modern world.

Janus's problem however, was that as a lost god and new god, his divine powers were limited, as a god's power is tied to belief and faith in them. Thus, Janus south out Jacob, through his dreams and visions, to test him for suitability to act as his avatar in the mortal world. Janus could provide Jacob a boon of some of the power he had left, and in return, Jacob could act as his agent, learning about the mortal world, as well as acting to protect and watch over it as best he could in Janus's stead.

Thus the partnership between Jacob and Janus was forged, as Jacob accepted the duties of becoming Janus's herald. Jacob soon after entered Metropolis University's history department, in part due to his love for the lore, and also to arm himself against what may be future enemies. In the meantime, Jacob has adopted the superhero name, Doorman, slowly making his presence in Metropolis known as the avatar of Janus, as well as working to safeguard Metropolis from the little injustices that Superman may not have the time to handle.

Costume closer to this: Image
Last edited by DeusPravus on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Removed
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
------------
XeroKhan

Post by XeroKhan »

I might as well try out for this first recruitment of this site. Let me figure something out when it comes to a build.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Submitted for your approval:

Height: less than 1"
Weight: negligible
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Identity: Not Secret

Narg-Ul was a ledger agent (similar to an Earth accountant) living in the Kryptonian city of Kandor. Which means he's lived most of his life in THE Bottle.
During some incident (which Ken hasn't figure out yet, and would like to jam ideas on), Narg-Ul ended up outside the Bottle. He didn't get returned to normal size, but he did gain the usual Kryptonian-under-a-yellow-sun powers.

He's managed to learn the Earther tongue English. Mostly. But he's still confused about Earther geo-political entities (e.g. "Metropolis is in the nation-state of Delaware, but also in the nation-state of You-Ess-Ay?) and many other aspects of Terran culture.

He knows he's in Kal-El's city, but his embarrasment of being a blood relative of Hu-Ul and his daughter Faora Hu-Ul causes him to avoid Kal-El.

He is an extra-terrestrial, in a land of giants. And the best way he knows to try to be accepted, as a Kryptonian, and an alien, on Earth, is to try to be a hero, which is confusing because he doesn't want to be a sandwich.

Note: His heat vision shoots out 'only' 10 ft. because of his tiny size.

Speeding Bullet - PL 10

Strength 12/-5, Stamina 8/1, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
Benefit, Cipher 2, Close Attack 8, Languages 1, Move-by Action

Skills
Close Combat: Heat Vision 4 (+4), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise: Accounting 3 (+5), Perception 1 (+3), Persuasion 4 (+0/+4)

Powers
Thanks, Brainiac
. . Shrinking: Shrinking 20 (Linked; -5 STR, -10 Intimidate, +20 Stealth, +10 active defenses, -5 size ranks, -2 speed ranks; Permanent)
. . Attacking bigger things: Enhanced Trait 6 (Linked; Traits: Close Attack 8 +6 (+8); Quirk: Only effective up to difference in size rank, e.g. normal people are size rank -2, he's size rank -8, he gets all +6 ranks; if he fights Junior (from teh Young Heroes) who's size rank -6, he only gets +2 ranks.)
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait -12 (Linked; Traits: Stamina -5 (+8), Persuasion -4 (+0); Permanent [12 extra ranks])

Kryptonian Movement
. . Faster than an Express Train: Speed 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)
. . It's a Bug... It's a Bullet: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round; Distracting)
. . Tall Buildings: Leaping 8 (Leap 1800 feet at 250 miles/hour in 3 seconds)

Kryptonian on Earth: Immunity 10 (Life Support; Limited - Half Effect)

Kryptonian Optics
. . Heat Vision: Damage 8 ([0 active, 0/10 PP, 1/r+2], DC 23; Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.)
. . Super Vision: Senses 10 ([0 active, 0/10 PP, 1/r], Extended: Vision 5: x100k, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4: atom-size)
. . X-Ray Vision: Senses 4 ([0 active, 0/10 PP, 1/r], Penetrates Concealment: Vision)

Under a Yellow Sun: Enhanced Trait 60 (Traits: Strength +17 (+12), Stamina +12 (+8), Toughness +2 (+10))

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 22)
Heat Vision: Damage 8, +12 (DC 23)
Throw, +0 (DC 27)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 27)

Complications
Disability: Narg-Ul is a Kandorian, out of the bottle, but still stuck at tiny size. He does not interact with every day objects normally.
Family Shame: Narg-Ul is a second cousin to the infamous Faora Hu-Ul. This means he's also related to her father Hu-Ul who's villainy (alongside Lo-Gar and Rom-Lok) is less well known, but still a source of shame.
Kryptonite, Red Sun, Magic: Narg-Ul has all the typical Kryptonian weaknesses to pieces of his planet, etc and he can't see through lead.
Stranger in a Strange Land: Narg-Ul was born and raised in Kryptonian society. Earth is a strange, sometimes wondrous, but also a frightening place.

Languages
English, Kryptonian

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10/8, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 10 + Powers 123 + Advantages 6 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Defenses 3 = 150
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Darn, you guys have all got great and unique characters so far. Mine is just a teenage girl who lost her parents at the age of 6 to Mr. Freeze attacking a lab they worked out and she survived due to latent powers that slowly awoke until they manifested at 13, raised by her aunt Rose who is a member of the Special Crimes Unit in Metropolis and put her in touch with the Justice League, trained by various members in how to control and use her powers but mostly by Ice who she sees as a big sister and best friend, going to college now and for some reason isn't a metahuman and no testing has shown what the source or origin of her powers are yet. Tried to make her connected to the DC universe in several ways with some unique things including one thing you never since in an ice/cold generator/controller, the power to move ice and snow. Will post her soon, just as soon as Photobucket cooperates so I can set up my pic I'm using for her.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Really like ken's submission! Likely fit's into H4H's intentions a lot more then mine does, aha.

Also... I find it interesting how Jacob, Nicolas, and Psistrike's ice controller would have in common... They all have tragic backstories starting from the age of six. Is that just some secret ideal magic number for the just the right amount of childhood trauma? ;P
------------
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Chill PL 10
• Image used is Commission ShadowOrexia by bokuman from deviantart.
Quote: "Aww, just chill out."
Concept: Metahuman cold generator
Base of Operations: Metropolis
Legal Status: U.S. citizen with no criminal record
Identity: Secret
Marital Status: Single
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 125 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde

Abilities
Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 3, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
Cold Immunity: Immunity 10 [Cold Effects] • 10 points
Immunity to Heat: Immunity 1 [Environmental heat] • 1 point
Ice Slide: Platform Flight 5 [60 mph] • 5 points
Paranormal Durability: Protection 7 • 7 points
Power of Ice & Cold: Array [30 points]
Create Ice: Create 10, Continuous • 30 points
Blizzard: Environment [Extreme cold and -5 Visibility] 6 [900 ft. radius], Selective • 1 point
Ice Sphere Shower: Multiattack Ranged Damage 10 • 1 point
Ice Snare: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized], Extra Condition, Limited Degree • 1 point
Ice Shifting: Move Object 10 [25 tons], Damaging, Indirect 4, Precise, Subtle, Limited to Ice and Snow • 1 point

Advantages: Accurate Attack, Connected, Defensive Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Favored Environment [in extreme cold], Luck, Move-By Action, Teamwork, Well-Informed

Skills: Acrobatics 4 [+8], Close Combat: Unarmed 4 [+8], Deception 5 [+7], Expertise: Popular Culture 2 [+5], Insight 4 [+6], Perception 4 [+6], Persuasion 4 [+6], Ranged Combat : Power of Ice & Cold 7 [+10], Stealth 4 [+8], Treatment 2 [+5]

Offense
Initiative +4
Unarmed +8, Close, Damage 1
Power of Ice & Cold +10, Ranged, Damage 10; Cumulative Affliction 10; or Move Object 10 [ice and snow]

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10
Toughness 10, Fortitude 6, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 57 + Advantages 7 + Skills 20 [40 ranks] + Defenses 22 = 150 Total

Complications
Motivation-Doing Good: Chill wishes to use her powers to make the world a better place, however she can. She also wishes to reverse some of the stigma from ice/cold wielders that the likes Killer Frost and Mr. Freeze have generated over the years.
Hatred: Despite her outward demeanor, she still hates Mr. Freeze for taking her parents from her, seeking to end his form of madness from this world once and for all. Other killers who use ice and cold she also hates, seeking to ensure they are captured at all cost.
Identity: Crystal Danvers, college student
Relationship: She cares for her aunt Rose Allen, an officer in the Special Crimes Unit.
Secret: Though she seems to be a metahuman whose powers were first triggered years ago by Mr. Freeze and grew slowly until she turned 13, all test show something else is going on. But no one has been able to figure out what exactally yet.

Notes
• Unknown source of powers, connection to Mr. Freeze, Justice League, Ice in particular, and even Killer Frost due to history.

History: Crystal's life was shattered that day 12 years ago. The day Mr. Freeze went on a rampage at the lab where he parents worked and she was visiting. Corrupt members from his old company, having escaped his wrath and switched to a new lab, were his target but anyone else in his path was collateral damage. By the time the authorities arrive and Batman had dealt with the cold scientist, the damage had been done. Her parents were gone, she has only survived due what the doctors called an unexplained miracle.

Sent to live with her aunt Rose in Metropolis, she took some time to adjust to the loss but soon showed a happy, adventurous nature as she took up skateboarding and even snowboarding when they went the mountains for vacation. It seemed like that day would remain just a nightmare fading into the past.

Until at the age of 13 she began to notice strange things happening around her. The summer heat beating down and she wished it was cold, suddenly a chill snap would spread out from her until several city blocks were as cold as the arctic; coming into contact with food that was too hot and finding it suddenly frozen solid. She tried to keep it from her aunt, but proved impossible to keep from an agent of the Special Crimes Unit.

Placing her in touch with the Justice League to get special help in learning how to control and use her powers, Crystal couldn't believe she was being taught by the likes of Ice, flown in from JLA base in New York City, NY just for her. What in the world was going on! Not that she was complaining, she took the training with ease, proving a natural with her powers. She even put her own twist on Ice's ice slides, using a snowboard to slide along them at greater speeds.

5 years of training and she has learned a lot, associated with the Justice League and can be called in as needed but still having time for college. She has kept in touch with Ice, seeing her as a big sister and someone with more experience in the world and as a superhero she can learn from. But she still has a lot to learn about how the world truly works and things to see.

Description: Crystal is an attractive young woman with a healthy build and muscle tone. She wears her blonde hair long, keeping it in a long ponytail as Chill despite the repeated warnings from Batman and others it was a hazard in a fight. Her eyes are almost ice blue and can show her joy, love of adventure, or in rare moments like the rage of an arctic blizzard unleashed.

In her everyday life she simply wears whatever she feels comfortable in, preferring slacks and simple blouses, function over style. As Chill she has an outfit similar to a one-piece swimsuit, blue and black with long sleeves and white gloves, a pair of white ankle boots and white leggings that go up to mid-thigh. She has a yellow belt because she says it pulls it all together, the fact her JL com and signal is inside is something she tends to gloss over.

Personality: Crystal is a happy young woman with an adventurous streak and good heart who can't stand to see anyone suffering. She works to improve herself all the time while finding time to help out any way she can, whether it is helping clean up a local park, work with locals to raise money, or fighting crime as one of newest rookies in the Justice League, at least as a probationary member.

Yet beneath it all she feels the weight of the loss of her parents, seeking to live up to what she believed they wanted for her no matter how difficult. She has a hatred for cold and ice wielders who use their powers to harm and kill others such as Mr. Freeze and Killer Frost.. Yet keeps this side hidden as best she can. Also the fact that all testing has shown she isn't a metahuman but not exactally what the source of her powers are has her worried.

Powers and Abilities: Chill's source of powers are unknown for now, but their nature have been documented in repeated testing. She has power of ice and cold, generating and controlling it in various ways. She is completely immune to all forms of all, even others cold powers. Her body naturally regulates its temperature, making her immune to environmental heat. She has an unknown form of paranormal durability that makes her extremely tough and difficult to hurt without resorting to high-powered firearms or greater. She has learned how to generate ice slides to ride on, a trick she was taught by Ice, though she prefers to use a snowboard while doing so she doesn't need to.

Her power of ice and cold allows her to do many things including: creation of simple ice shapes and structures which last until destroy, not even melting in desert heat; creating a controlled blizzard within 900' of herself of extreme cold and blinding snow, but can control the intensity and who is affected; firing off a shower of ice spheres that hit as hard as tank shells; trapping a target in ice; and even the power to move ice and snow precisely, upward to 25 tons, 50 tons if she focuses all her attention on it, able to use existing ice and snow to attack. She has a few other tricks she uses on occasion, such as blast of freezing air, flash freezing objects, creating an ice slick, or blizzard. But she is wary of using any powers that could risk causing serious harm or the death of another.

Tactics: Chill will stay above a fight on her ice ramps, using hit and run tactics with her ice snare and ice sphere shower as needed, never using more force than needed to subdue someone. If innocents are in danger she will try to shield them with her ice creations. She tends to only use her blizzard to counter heat and fire powers when possible, or to help out in a heat wave, as well as hinder foes. Ice shifting is due to her having to deal more than once with fellow ice generators and having to clean up the mess they leave behind.

If facing a dangerous opponent she will seek to gauge their tactics by going on the defensive at first, then shifting once she has them better pegged. She doesn't like to feel useless in a fight and will use Extraordinary Effort to push her powers if she thinks it has even a chance of working on a foe or helping a situation.

Allies: She is a probationary member of the Justice League currently and can call upon them when needed, although she is reluctant as she wishes to prove herself. Ice is like her older sister and best friend. Her aunt Rose is a member of the Special Crimes Unit and more than once has helped to track down a supervillain on the loose or dangerous creature.

Enemies: Through her association with the Justice League a few of their foes have come to know the new rookies name. Along with her own personal targeting of fellow ice and cold wielders who uses them to harm and kill, her most dedicated foes being Mr. Freeze who she wishes to end and Killer Frost who she seems to keep running into.
Last edited by Psistrike on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:Really like ken's submission! Likely fit's into H4H's intentions a lot more then mine does, aha.

Also... I find it interesting how Jacob, Nicolas, and Psistrike's ice controller would have in common... They all have tragic backstories starting from the age of six. Is that just some secret ideal magic number for the just the right amount of childhood trauma? ;P
6, 12, and 15 are the magic numbers for childhood trauma for background from what I've found. :? Confused smilie is closest to shifted eyed one.
DeusPravus

Post by DeusPravus »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:Really like ken's submission! Likely fit's into H4H's intentions a lot more then mine does, aha.

I just kinda arbitrarily chose it, as it's the start of elementary age roughly, and an age where a kid could remember their parents but still generally adjust later in life I guess. Oh Psistrike, don't forget the house rule about free advantages from Presence.

So far then, we have my divine teleporter, Psistrike's ice controller, Ken's escaped Kandorian (shrunken paragon), and Doctor Malsyn's soulless summoner with full builds, and Avery's idea for the watcher on GR. Guess can try to put together a table soon.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

If this is still in recruitment, I have a concept that would work and if like to try. It would be based off of the sharpshooter archetype, but since I've always hated truck arrows, he'd probably use some type of high tech energy bow.
Thunderbolt - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Advantages
Agile Feint, Contacts, Defensive Roll, Equipment 1, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2: Variable Frequency Plasma Emitter: Damage 6, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat: Karate & Aiki-jitsu 4 (+10), Expertise: Current Events 4 (+5), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+5), Insight 7 (+10), Intimidation 9 (+10), Investigation 9 (+10), Perception 7 (+10), Ranged Combat: Variable Frequency Plasma Emitter: Damage 6 8 (+8), Stealth 4 (+10)

Powers
High Tech Armor & Gadgetry (Removable)
. . High Density Flex Weave: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
. . Light Amplifying Lenses & Ranger Finder: Senses 3 (Distance Sense, Extended: Normal Vision 1: x10, Low-light Vision, Advantages: Improved Aim, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover))

Multi Phasic Plasma Bow (Easily Removable)
. . Variable Frequency Plasma Emitter: Damage 6 (DC 21, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Extended Range, Increased Range: ranged, Precise, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Plasma (Light & Heat))
. . . . Molecular Ionization: Weaken 6 (Alternate; Affects: Toughness, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Affects Objects, Increased Range: ranged)
. . . . Neural Disruption: Affliction 6 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 16; Alternate Resistance: Will, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)
Natural Athlete: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)
Natural Marksman (Multiattack, Variable Descriptor: close group - Any Ranged Weapon)

Equipment
Launching Grappling Hook [Grapnel Launcher & De-Cel Jumpline]
Grapnel Launcher & De-Cel Jumpline: Flight 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round; Subtle: subtle; Quirk: Requires Anchor Point)
. . Grapnel Disarming Shot: Move Object 2 (Alternate; 200 lbs.; Accurate 2: +4; Limited Direction: Towards Launcher)

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 12)
Grapnel Disarming Shot: Move Object 2, +10 (DC 12)
Molecular Ionization: Weaken 6, +6 (DC Fort 16)
Neural Disruption: Affliction 6, +6 (DC Will 16)
Throw, +6 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 17)
Variable Frequency Plasma Emitter: Damage 6, +14 (DC 21)

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 14, Parry 14, Fortitude 8, Toughness 6/5, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 26 + Advantages 16 + Skills 35 (70 ranks) + Defenses 30 = 151
Complications
Enemy: Payback is a B!tch ...: Alex Hunter turned states evidence to incriminate LexCorp, and as such has earned the enmity of Lex Luthor. Birch continues his investigations into LexCorp and hopes to bring down Luthor's mega corporation. Luthor is a genius, and while he may not have (yet?) deduced Alpha Strikes identity, he has noted that the new Hero uses the Tinkerer's tech, and has disrupted at least one operation to assassinate the ex-con.

Honor: Heroic Idealism ...: Living in a city protected by perhaps the most iconic hero of modern history, instills in someone a certain sense of hope, and idealism. Birch is still haunted by the actions of his father as the Tinkerer, and his committed to balancing the scales.

Knowing that his father, as the Tinkerer, was a associate in LexCorp's criminal enterprises, he is very careful to ensure that his actions do not cross the line into criminality. He is devoted to assisting the MPD, and ensuring that the innocents of Metropolis are protected from the crime that occurs in the shadow of Superman.

Identity: Beneath the Mask ...: Birch Hunter maintains a distinct separation between his heroic activities and his civilian life. After rescuing MPD Officer Alejandra Cuevas when her and her partner were involved in a confrontation with Intergang forces, she spoke in an interview with Lois Lane. During that interview, Cuevas identified herself as an Iraqi veteran, and said when the hero came on scene, it was like an alpha strike from on off shore cruiser saving her and her unit.

The name stuck, and so he has continued his activities in the Metropolis area as Alpha Strike.

Relationship: The Ties that Bind ...: Birch has reconciled with his father, Alex Hunter, who has prioritized his family over his pursuit of technological innovation. While their relationship is strained, and somewhat tense, they are both working on it and committed to repairing their family ties.

Birch, having spent years in the foster system with his sister, September, during their father's prison sentence, formed a close bond. He will often drop everything he is currently doing, should September be in trouble. He has shared his secret with his sister, but has sworn her to secrecy as he doesn't wish his father to know of his activities as Alpha Strike.

He has also began to follow Officer Cuevas career, and will often arrive on scene should her investigations lead her into danger, or conflict with high-tech or empowered criminals.

Secret: Sins of the Father ...: Birch is ashamed of the work his father did under the name, Tinkerer, and as such he keeps that aspect of his life hidden from public scrutiny. Any inquiries on the nature of his weaponry are met with sullen silence, as he doesn't wish to divulge their origin.

Despite his father's ability to assist him with the more technical aspect of his career, he is determined not to involve his father in his career. Primarily because he feels his actions as Alpha Strike, allow him to balance the scales of his father's crimes.

Temper: Beneath the Surface ...: Birch is a well developed, and strong willed young man, but with the guilt of his father's actions, the loss of his mother, and the struggles he and his sister faced while in the foster care system are kept locked up with an iron will.

However, there are times when these emotions, the loss, the pain are too close to the surface which causes him to be more driven, focused, and aggressive then he himself wishes to be.
Alex, was a technician in Lexcorp, whose supervisor was taking credit for his work. Luther, aware of who was actively making the innovations, fired the manager and offered Alex a lucrative deal managing a high tech weaponry division. This, largely criminal offer, coincided with Alex's discovery that his wife, the mother of his two children, Birch & September, had developed a degenerative disease, and the influx of criminal funds would be able to post for treatment.

Alex, nicknamed the Tinkerer, for his innovative weapon designs, worked for Luther for two years until he had a crisis of conscience. His wife, Hope, declined further treatments due to a falling quality of life. Having another half year with her family, and when she passed Alex turned himself into the Metropolis PD. He provided testimony against Lexcorp, but Luther's team of lawyers was able to shift blame to a rogue shell company.

Alex received a shortened sentence, and during the interim Birch, and his sister, September, were entered into the foster care system. For eight years Birch and his sister blamed their father for their broken home and the passing of their mother. When Alex was released after serving his time here reconnected with his children, explaining how he had done it so that he could try to preserve their mothers life, and pay for the treatments. He realised what he had done was wrong, but he wanted to keep his family together.

Birch now has a target for his anger, Lexcorp. He began to investigate the shell company that Luther burned to avoid prosecution, and in time discovered one of his father's workshops with off the record high tech arms and armor.

He incorporated the energy bow and the advanced body armour into a heroic identity. He began to actively pursue a vendetta against Lexcorp and as such the activities of Metropolis's newest hero have started to garner media attention.

I'll have a build and complications up later tonight, just throwing the background down to see if it can be incorporated into the setting.

Thanks for your time!
Last edited by ZenGypsy on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:29 am, edited 5 times in total.