(IC) Gulf State Guardsmen (RCU) Adventure #3

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jcjec

(IC) Gulf State Guardsmen (RCU) Adventure #3

Post by jcjec »

The day after the attack on Cape Canaveral, the media and internet is abuzz about the case and the fact that a group of local superheroes have come together to form a team. A local news anchor refers to them as the Gulf State Guardsmen, and the title takes off like wildfire. Within 24 hours of the incident, #GSGuardmen is trending.

Two days later, you all receive a message from Parsons saying that you have all been cleared to work as Consultants and she looks forward to working with you again in the future. You were all allowed to take the radios given to you for the case with you (though Shaper may want to tinker with them to make them more personalized and transportable, if he so chooses).

It is now four days after the attack, late morning. What are you doing on this wonderful weekday?
Last edited by jcjec on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
DeusPravus

Re: (IC) Gulf State Guardsmen (RCU) Adventure #2

Post by DeusPravus »

Shaper
HP:1
Conditions: Tinkering

As any gadgeteer is wont to do went exposed to a new device, Shaper takes apart the communications device after the incident to see if he can improve the inner workings. Using his holointerface as a design tool, Shaper spends some time looking over the device form and function, making some small adjustments as he goes. He also tried to approximate measurements off some of his teammates, given publically available images and video, but would have to wait on any modifications to their comm devices until they met again. Beyond just simple function, he tried to accommodate what he knew of their power functions in some of the designs, such as magnetic shielding for Mangaflux so his powers would knock out his comms, or waterproofing for Waverunner.
OOC: Making a routine Technology check for design and modification of the devices, which would put it at 26 (10+14+2 for holo) for each of design and building (of shaper's own comm unit). Should be more than sufficient for any changes people want/need. With effective quickness 5 for the inventing task, shouldn't take long.
Beyond tinkering with the comms, Shaper also spent some time drafting up potential functions to incorporate into his gauntlets. Before lunch, Shaper placed a call to a lawyer he met previously, to go over the ethics and legality of selling gold and other rare metals he could create to replace or supplement his income.
jcjec

Re: Adventure #2 - Shaper

Post by jcjec »

Bryan had met Franklin Wertham while working for CREST, with the latter serving as legal counsel for the company in Florida. He had seemed like a likable sort, for being a lawyer, and was very willing to investigate whatever CREST needed in the realms of legality.

When Shaper called his office in St. Petersburg and was put through by his receptionist, the man seemed legitimately pleased to hear from him. "Mr. Matthews. So good to hear from you. I was glad to hear that you had completely recovered from the accident. What can I do you you, my friend."

After Bryan had described what he was interested in, Wertham sat quietly for a few moments. "The key to moving rare metals, from what I understand, is to make sure you don't flood the market too quickly. Otherwise, the value drops too quickly. After all, you don't want to crash the market and devalue the product, do you? I mean, if you weren't careful, you could plunge the United States into chaos. Hahaha."
Jim C.

MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

Douglas Jensen was a normal, everyday guy with a normal everyday life. His overall lifestyle out of costume was spent doing what everyone else did, trying to sustain a job, staying fit, grabbing something to eat.

It happened that on the subsequent days of the event that changed his career, he had very little to do as Citizen Quartet. Having made the headline as a man capable of defeating a national-level political assassin, as part of a superteam capable of stopping evil superteams, and being more well known in his self-claimed jurisdiction, the petty crime levels in Miami were down a great deal. Which was great news to him, albeit it was now dreadfully dull.

Anything he had to dress up for was a press conference, interview, or autograph signing. He probably stopped one mugging all week, and it just didn't compare to the real deal anymore. He "Flowers of Algernon"-ed the only thrilling thing he had in his life. He wondered when they'd call him in again.

At the on this fine day in Florida, he was laying low, and enjoying a burrito at Chipotle (or whatever parody of it is the thing that exists).
jcjec

Re: Adventure #2 - Citizen Red

Post by jcjec »

As Doug was taking his third bite, movement at the door once again caught his eye, but this time the face that had entered the restaurant was a familiar one. The last time he had seen her, Dr. Barstow was handing him the Quartet Belt, thanking him for saving the valuables in the HistoryMiami Museum. While he could tell that she had been having a rough morning already -- her hair was tussled and the massive amount of papers that she was carrying in her arms was ready to escape -- her age-defying beauty was still shining through. The thought crosses his mind that he had never properly thanked her for the belt, especially due to its properties that aided him in his work. Unfortunately, the reward was given to Citizen Red, not Doug Jensen.
Jim C.

DeusPravus

Post by DeusPravus »

Shaper
jcjec wrote:Bryan had met Franklin Wertham while working for CREST, with the latter serving as legal counsel for the company in Florida. He had seemed like a likable sort, for being a lawyer, and was very willing to investigate whatever CREST needed in the realms of legality.

When Shaper called his office in St. Petersburg and was put through by his receptionist, the man seemed legitimately pleased to hear from him. "Mr. Matthews. So good to hear from you. I was glad to hear that you had completely recovered from the accident. What can I do you you, my friend."

After Bryan had described what he was interested in, Wertham sat quietly for a few moments. "The key to moving rare metals, from what I understand, is to make sure you don't flood the market too quickly. Otherwise, the value drops too quickly. After all, you don't want to crash the market and devalue the product, do you? I mean, if you weren't careful, you could plunge the United States into chaos. Hahaha."
"Of course, it wouldn't do to flood the market or anything. I imagine a few troy ounces a month would cover most of my expenses. Though I may be interested in talking to some of the research laboratories and universities nearby, to set up endowments of rare elements and metals that could advance their research. After all, as you well may have seen on the news, with my involvement with the Guardsman, which will make any sort of sustained research more difficult to do. It's only fitting of me to do my best to aid those who are also working to make the world a better place."

"It probably would be best through if I can set up a foundation to make such deals and donations, to make sure all proper channels are followed? Mr. Wertham, would you know how to set up such an entity? I would also like to hire you on retainer if possible, to look over the legal dealing. I can provide cash or assets in almost any valuable metal, whichever is your preference."
Prof Weird

Post by Prof Weird »

Mozou
HP : 1
Condition : normal

Mozou put on her security guard uniform (complete with a 'Sgt. Viridans' nametag) and headed off to work.

She wondered what - if ANYTHING - she'd have to deal with on the Florida State University campus today. Before being called up for the Gulf State Guardsmen, the most she had to deal with was a student trying to improve his grade by threatening the teacher that failed him LAST semester.

Or one of the -80 freezers in the science hall failing with no one else around to hear the alarm.

Or some activists trying to break into the animal facilities to 'rescue' all the immuno-compromised mice (which would set back research years, and leave all the mice dead within a few days from various infections they could not fight off).

So far, no one has tried to make off with materials or equipment from the bigger labs, but with supervillains popping up, she figured she might have to deal with one of them eventually.

"Hmmm - I hope my now being a recognized superhero doesn't set off the 'Gunslinger Effect' !" she mused to herself as she signed in, "All anyone needs is a bunch of amateur villains and mooks showing up to make a name for themselves by beating me up !

But, on the plus side, maybe the lawyers will knock some time off of 'Dad's' jail time ...."

Then she figured that, at most, they'd knock off five or ten years. Of a fifteen hundred year sentence.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

DeusPravus wrote:"Of course, it wouldn't do to flood the market or anything. I imagine a few troy ounces a month would cover most of my expenses. Though I may be interested in talking to some of the research laboratories and universities nearby, to set up endowments of rare elements and metals that could advance their research. After all, as you well may have seen on the news, with my involvement with the Guardsman, which will make any sort of sustained research more difficult to do. It's only fitting of me to do my best to aid those who are also working to make the world a better place."

"It probably would be best through if I can set up a foundation to make such deals and donations, to make sure all proper channels are followed? Mr. Wertham, would you know how to set up such an entity? I would also like to hire you on retainer if possible, to look over the legal dealing. I can provide cash or assets in almost any valuable metal, whichever is your preference."
"I'm sure we can take care of your needs, Mr. Matthews, but before we start examining other places in which to donate funds, have you given any thought to contributing to CREST. You did know that they are looking at rebuilding the Tampa office, don't you? They are currently interviewing for a new director and are taking bids to rebuild, but its a slow and costly process."
Jim C.

jcjec

Re: Adventure #2 - Mozou

Post by jcjec »

After finishing signing in, Mozou hears the voice of her supervisor behind her. "Sargent. Could I have a moment of your time, please." Before she can turn around, she hears him move back into his office, leaving the door open behind him.

When she enters, she finds it in the same condition as the day she was hired. The fauz-oak desk faced the door, with a diploma from the University hanging on his wall, accompanied by a photo of him and the president of the school in the shaking hands pose, meant to show them as friends but really conveying that they barely know each other. His desk was clear, save for the computer positioned on the left corner and a plaque with his name front and center. The "Captain" sat in his chair, his love handles from too much sitting hanging over the sides of his belt and steadily creeping towards the edge of his chair. The mustache that he had clearly had since the seventies had several more grey hairs in it, and his forehead had risen an equal number of centimeters up his head.

He motioned for her to take a seat in the guest chair. "The president sent this over to me first thing this morning." He pulled a manila envelope out of his left-hand desk drawer and slid it across the desk to her. When she opened it, it was a blown up version of the picture taken of the team as they were leaving Cape Canaveral. Her face, while towards the back of the group, was brought front and center by the enhancement. "He's concerned that your extra-curricular activites could cause a problem."
Jim C.

Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

Wraith
HP:1 Cnd: One of those Days

There was a sensation of quick movement...a floaty feeling, like flying...but not. A sense of urgency that kept a steady pules racing through his veins. And a hunger that seemed impossibly deep. All within a comforting darkness that was neither warm nor cold...just right. This all blended into a thrill that was visceral, a sense of rightness, a sense of...

BBBBBRRRRRRIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! Bring, Bring, Bring....BBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!....

Stephyn Parthenos shoots straight up, blankets and covers flying through the air as he thrashes about blindly, groping for the offending sound from his blasted phone. Bright, bright daylight shines through the inadequate blinds on his windows as he stumbles into his nightstand, sending the still ringing phone skidding across the floor. All the while, a steady patois of Romany and Greek curse words and phrase spill from his lips. Across the room, an inhuman shadow on the wall pantomimes smashing something on the floor...over and over again. Interspersed among the vulgarity and profanity is a single phrase repeated...Sorry, sorry....sorry, sorry...

Finally, Stephyn reaches the spot where the phone slid to. Just as he reaches down to pick it up, the barrage of sound stops and a name plays across the screen: BRIGHT BASTARDS. Clutching the phone in his hand, Stephyn runs the other across the back of his neck. The words that spill from his lips this time are much more directed and of a decidedly more unfriendly tone. Before he can lower it, a text message comes in from the same caller: REPORT! DEBRIEF! ...Bastards don't know any text etiquette...quit shouting...Another message blips in. It is just a countdown timer...Rude *$#@!$%&***@!!!...

With a heavy sigh, Stephyn looks over to the small kitchenette in the incredibly small apartment. Things are still bare here. He hasn't had time to actually set anything up. No time to buy groceries, nor any supplies. Walking over to the bathroom/kitchen sink(yes, it was THAT small), the man known as The Wraith turns the tap on and runs cold water over his face and hair. Looking in the mirror, he sees bloodshot eyes and a weary look. A quick movement behind him catches his attention, dark tendrils of shadow wave angrily. Grumbling outloud, talking to the shadow, "I know...and this time I agree. No Choice..."

In short order, Stephyn Parthenos straightens up the best he can and closes the door to his current abode. Placing his hand against the door, Wraith feeds the grumbling darkness within him a small amount of his anger. Just a sliver. Then, cracking his neck, Wraith turns and heads out. First, to find the largest amount of caffeine nearby, and to go glare at those rude enough to wake him before noon.
jcjec

Re: Adventure #2 - Wraith

Post by jcjec »

The trip to the closest coffee shop was short; only about two blocks closer than the second closest. The barista took his order in their usual polite haste, though someone had labeled his cup with "dark and brooding" rather than the name that was given, but beyond that, the visit was uneventful.

By the time he arrived at the nondescript house that served as the lair of the Consilium de Lumine, the coffee was gone. As he stormed inside, he was greeted in the front parlor by a dark-haired member of the counsel. Like himself, the man was a legacy whose family had served for generations. And like himself, the man was considered a bit of a pariah, set to serving the miserable b@stard inside as atonement for his great-grand-uncle's crimes.

Norman Hall greeted Stephyn with a nod. "He's expecting you, and his mood is worse than normal. Fair warning."
Jim C.

DeusPravus

Post by DeusPravus »

Shaper
jcjec wrote:"I'm sure we can take care of your needs, Mr. Matthews, but before we start examining other places in which to donate funds, have you given any thought to contributing to CREST. You did know that they are looking at rebuilding the Tampa office, don't you? They are currently interviewing for a new director and are taking bids to rebuild, but its a slow and costly process."
"I'd be glad to help out in any financial way I can with CREST, as well, I can help with the actual physical reconstruction when I am available. As for any involvement with the director or an actual position, well... there are just too many memories of that place. Plus they deserve people who can fully commit to the research there, and who aren't likely to have any supervillains out to kill them."
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

DeusPravus wrote:"I'd be glad to help out in any financial way I can with CREST, as well, I can help with the actual physical reconstruction when I am available. As for any involvement with the director or an actual position, well... there are just too many memories of that place. Plus they deserve people who can fully commit to the research there, and who aren't likely to have any supervillains out to kill them."
"That's probably a good idea. I'll tell you what. I know a guy who can help you with the exchange of metals for funds. I'll text you his information. He's the owner of Wagner Financials and Associates. Then we can work on setting up the trust with a focus on donating money to CREST. Sound good?"
Jim C.

DeusPravus

Post by DeusPravus »

Shaper
jcjec wrote: "That's probably a good idea. I'll tell you what. I know a guy who can help you with the exchange of metals for funds. I'll text you his information. He's the owner of Wagner Financials and Associates. Then we can work on setting up the trust with a focus on donating money to CREST. Sound good?"

"That sounds good. I look forward to collaborating with yourself and the owner of Wagner Financials. Will be good to be making a tangible difference that doesn't have to do with stopping an empowered individual. I will try to set up a meeting between the three of us as soon as my schedule allows."
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

Wraith
HP:1 Cnd: Belly of the Beast

Nodding back, Stephyn empties his pockets of everything held within...not that there was much. Thankfully, the much hated cellphone was one of the things laying on the desk, the timer down to just a few seconds. "Yeah?...well so is mine," Stephyn snaps back. Then he realizes who he is talking to, someone else on Fontaine's Favored list. Someone who didn't do anything except be related to the wrong person. "Sorry Norman...Damn B@stard broke through encryption on the phone again and played an air raid siren at full volume...I don't even know how he does that..." As he empties his last pocket, Stephyn pulls out his last ten and hands it to Norman, "Breaks on me...when you get it."

With that, Stephyn Parthenos turns and faces a set of plain doors. Taking a deep breath, Stephyn walks up to the doors and reaches out to open them. As his hands touch the door knobs, they pass through a complicated ward. To those without any trace of magic, they would feel nothing. After that, depending upon what level of magic, and more importantly what flavor of magic you possessed, you would feel everything from a slight resistance, as if moving through water to a brick wall arcing with electricity and dripping in acid. For Stephyn, it was like walking through molasses with razor sharp teeth dragging across his skin...unpleasant, uncomfortable and unwelcoming. Yet, undamaging beyond the psychological. In all truth, whenever he steeped through one of the wards, Stephyn never remembered actually walking through...he just remembers the warning that the ward represented. You are here at my displeasure...

Straightening his shoulders, Stephyn looks up to see Emile Fontaine standing behind a large ornate desk, his back to him staring at a bank of large video monitors. The disdain for his presence palpable as he waits on Fontaine's attention.