(MnM 2e) D.A.N.G.E.R. Force (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Horsenhero

(MnM 2e) D.A.N.G.E.R. Force (IC)

Post by Horsenhero »

United Nations Expeditionary Force HQ NYC, USA-

Eight people sat in uncomfortable chairs, facing a projection screen in a spartan room. Tension filled the air for this was the first time since you all volunteered for the United Nation's "D.A.N.G.E.R. Force" that you'd been called to action. All the top secret alien technology that bestowed your powers under the strict guiding hand of Dr. Magdalene Lawless was now finally going to be field tested. In a world where super-powered beings violated national sovereignty at a whim and government sponsored teams often committed acts in the names of their homelands that were often tantamount to war crimes, you were going to show heroes could be both effective and answerable to the people they protected. The question is, would your trial by fire be a public humiliation or grand triumph.

Consumed by your thoughts you almost miss the entrance of the woman in charge of this fledgling division, Commander Esmerelda Torres, formerly of the Colombian National Army. Commander Torres is tall for a Latina, pushing 5'10" and carries her self with a rigid military bearing. Her black hair is cut short and from forehead to chin a long scar runs down the right side of her face. Her eye appears undamaged despite the scar intersecting with it nearly dead center. Perhaps that eye is bionic? It looks responsive to light and it flicks across you in tandem with the left. Once she is assured you've taken notice of her, she clears her throat and speaks.

"I won't bother with platitudes before I get to the meat of this briefing. You know how important it is that you succeed. I almost wish your first assignment could be some kind of fluff shakedown against a bush league threat, but that isn't the way the cards have turned. Instead you are going to Brazil to locate and rescue a UN Diplomatic Envoy."

"The Background for the mission is simple. For years the Brazilian government and logging concerns have been clear cutting great swaths of the Amazon Rain Forest, but within the past 6 months the environmental activists have gotten some heavier firepower in the form of a few transhuman assets. These transhumans and the Brazilian military have been exchanging sorties doing more damage to the local populace, both loggers and protestors than to one another. This might have remained an internal matter, except the Brazilians hired their own transhumans to tip the scales, which in turn drew the attention of a team of...super-heroes...from Mexico. To keep things from escalating completely out of control, the United Nations offered to mediate. A South African diplomat, Georges Dada was dispatched, since he was both neutral and lacked the imperialist stigma a European would have brought with them."

"Two days ago, both sides were supposed to convene at a neutral site and begin negotiations. We aren't certain what happened, but everyone who went to that meeting vanished in a literal plume of smoke. Several transhuman assets on both sides vanished as well. Now both sides are simultaneously blaming each other and an unknown third party. In the face of this entirely FUBAR situation the Security Council has instructed me to dispatch you to sort this out most ricky-tick."

Pursing her lips, she pauses for a moment, then continues in her crisp cadence. "I don't care who wants you to follow their agenda once you are on the ground, you are to locate Ambassador Dada, exfiltrate him and impose some semblence of peace. Use your discretion, but I want the mercenary transhumans engaged by the Brazilians out and I want the Mexicans off Brazilian sovereign soil, preferably on their way home. Try to keep casualties and injuries to a minimum, but I won't hamstring you with any restrictive ROE's. Solve the problem and the PR boys will make sure however it gets done it looks pretty for the public. I'll handle the Security Council."

"Questions?"
Flynnarrel

Re: (MnM 2e) D.A.N.G.E.R. Force (IC)

Post by Flynnarrel »

Dr. Ink raises a hand - his still-human left one. "I assume ve vill be provided viz ze dossiers uf ze missink, unt ozers involved? Includink abilities for ze transhumans?" The German doctor asks in a way that is not so much a question as it is a recognition of Torres' ability to complete an obvious step in this process. "I furzer assume zat if any of ze transhumans involved possessed a power or technology to **poof** ozers zat you vould haf mentioned zis, yes?"
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Anklosaur
HP: 1

"Huh." Butch's chair creaked when he shifted his weight to sit up straighter. "That's a lotta objectives to sort out. I guess the evac is priority but what about peacekeeping? I don't think we wanna make such a mess that we end up looking worse than what we're cleaning up."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Heinrich's glance contains some amount of pity for the mentally lacking dinoman. The look is covert as the science-experiment-gone-wrong was still over 8 feet and built like a mauser cannon.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Masquerade
Condition/Appearance: Normal/Default

The man sighs in resignation and starts to speak, "It figures that my first ah... 'on the books' mission takes place in Brazil. I had been training for primarily European countries, and unfortunately had yet to learn Portuguese. Something I should certainly correct after this. Ah... about this team Senorita Torres, do you have more information about them? My friends up top would be rather upset if I let some of our famous superhéroes vanish into the mist." What remains of his accent feels more deliberate then something natural, showing a mastery of the English language necessary for his roll as an infiltrator.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

"I think Anklosaur is right on this one, ma'am." Redline said, scratching her chin, If retrieval and exfiltration of Ambassador Dada is the primary objectives, peacekeeping seems counterproductive to that goal. The primary mission is best accomplished swiftly... Locate, secure, exfil. But peacekeeping is best accomplished by putting 'boots on the ground,' staying put and getting ourselves involved in a longstanding dispute. Seems to be contradictory, ma'am.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Dead Girl
Condition: Normal

When the army guy had first come to Rosanna's room and told her that the UN group for which she'd volunteered ('D.A.N.G.E.R. Force' they were calling it) was finally calling her to a briefing of some kind, she hadn't known exactly what to expect. A nervous energy had filled her all that day during her transport to the meeting site. Now that she was here in a room with her teammates, the energy had given way to just plain nervousness, She listened intently to the briefing and everyone's concerns, then added a question of her own mostly because she felt like she should say something.

"Hey, I was thinkin' too... what if that guy is already dead or whatever? I mean, hopefully he ain't, y'know, but it's possible. Do ya, like, want the body? Is that a thing?"
Shock

Post by Shock »

Anklosaur

Anklosaur growled quietly. "What kinda question is that? Wouldn't you want your body returned home to your family?"
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Dead Girl
Condition: Normal
Shock wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:29 amAnklosaur growled quietly. "What kinda question is that? Wouldn't you want your body returned home to your family?"
"Well, yeah... they gave 'em someone's body." She offered a small shrug. "Maybe my perspective's a lil' off on this one."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Redline

"Well... This took a turn for the morbid fast, eh?" Redline said, hoping to head off any looming awkwardness between the team, "If the unfortunate has happened to the ambassador, I think we can all agree bringing his, um, remains back would be good. If feasible. But let's just hope we don't have to worry about that."

I'm arguing funeral customs with a dinosaur and a zombie while sitting across the table from Dr. Strangelovecraft. Redline mused to herself, Maybe guidance councilor was right and I should have just flown puddle jumpers for Air Canada.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Besides, you can learn a lot from a body." Dr. Ink says, his tone a bit creepy. "I mean, zey all vanished in a poof, right? Ve should get data on vhatever phenomenon caused zis, yes? Oservise 'POOF's all over ze place." He mimed explosions in different places. His human and tentacle limbs spreading in a popping gesture.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Masquerade

"Well, of course we'd want to bring back the man's remains if that's what it came to, but I'm hopeful we'll capture- ah, recover the man just fine."

Spotting Dr. Ink, he makes a contemplative noise. "I've never tried to mimic someone with non-human limbs before. I'm curious if I could pull it off. Would you mind if I try later?"
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Oonless your unique talents vill let your limbs bend in entirely hyper-natural vays I vould say such a disguise vould not last long nor be very convincing. Plus, I do not zink you vould do my... mannerisms justice." Heinrich von Mendink smiles thinly. "Zough it iz a pleasure to meet our great Spanish infiltrator. I've read as much of your file as my access allows."
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Vigilance
Hero Points: One of One
Condition: Normal.

First Sergeant Reese sat towards the back of the conference chamber, and listened to Torres' briefing. He watched his unit ask their questions, there was the Xenobiologist, requesting further information. The Transformed begin to analyze the information from an operational standpoint, Corps through and through. Ooh Rah. The Canadian offered more operational analysis, interesting. Reese had worked with some Canucks outside of Kandahar in '08, Queens Light if he remembered correctly. Tough bastards, the Lieutenant deserved his respect, and her attention to tactical and operational would certainly be an advantage on the ground. It was the Reanimate's turn to speak as she questioned the possibility that their target was still a viable extraction target, which in turn sparked a response from Reynolds. And finally the Chameleon spoke up concerned with Mexican national interests, however as he digressed into a discussion of his abilities a thought began to form.

"While I don't like generalizing, most eco-activists are liberal leaning university students pushing back against their conservative upbringing, some of them travelling to, and participating with foreign organizations. Protests, roadblocks, tree spiking, chaining themselves to trees, however, most of them do not recruit trans-human enforcers and engage in armed conflict with government forces, nor do they typically have the funding to do so." He paused, took a sip from his water bottle, and then continued, "The thing to keep in mind is that typically the logging industry will hire security to deal with disruptions to their operation. I'm betting the industry pressured the government, threatening to pull their investment out if they didn't stop those groups. Think about it."

Another pause before he continued, "If the government had arrested and captured the eco-terrorists, they would be parading the leadership in front of cameras, media and the international press. If the eco-terrorists had captured captains of the industry, including their UN-backed negotiator, they would have claimed responsibility for that act as a triumph of the people over the capitalist interests of the government and big business. The question we need to ask ourselves is who benefits from a continuation of hostilities."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Masquerade

Masque flashes a cocky smile, and closes his eyes in concentration. Nothing noticeably apparent happens until he opens his mouth to speak, "I vould say I'd manage myself vell in a pinch, if ze situation called for it." He cranes his neck to the slightly to the left, and his next words come out normal again. "Though I admit I'd be much more convincing with a working knowledge of German, I've been trained to mimic dozens of English dialects. I'll have to brush up on my weakpoints later on."

Relaxing back into his chair, he gestures toward Vigilance. "He makes a good point. While the mission is foremost important, there's still a lot of unknowns here."
------------