OOC: Marvel Cinema Universe 2.1 [Now Showing]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Camus

Re: OOC: Marvel Cinema Universe 2.0 [Recruiting until 7/18/17]

Post by Camus »

StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:44 am Too much sunburn and beer on the beach the past couple days. Will do some catching up tomorrow with those who have made changes and definitely post on some I haven't yet.
Envious. I'm envious like hell. Envyyyyyyyyyy
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Tomorrow: build looks like its tightened up ... as much as a Supermanalogue can be :)

Syncretik: On vacation hard to get to rule sets, so
- please explain Smashing and Dangerous on the Energy Blast.
- I'm going to put a no on Accurate as a Teleport extra. I've played teleporters enough to know the headaches Accurate can bring to a storyline.
- Perception on Move Object runs into the area effect rule for the campaign. It has to go.
I think you're going to need to look at tweaking the Array. 53 is a huge chunk of points but having to lose Perception might be a good thing. You can strip off a few bells and whistles from the other powers an the array and maybe put a few points in ... oh day defense :)
Other than tweaking the array I think Pulsar looks fine.

Captain Chaos: Right off the bat I'm not seeing any issues with the build. May I offer a suggestion? And it truly is just a idea I'm tossing your way. In comic when he was Commander Rogers, Steve had a energy shield that took the shape of a shield, could alter to a shell protecting him and others and had a ranged energy effect (either a blast or energy shield that looked thrown I forget) Have you thought of tailoring Miss America's telekinetic powers as an homage to that and her MCU idol? Its just a thought. Build is good as is.

More later today. A quick revisit of Plan A and Hildr, then a visit to Dark Stalker and Renegade
Tomorrow

Post by Tomorrow »

StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm - please explain Smashing and Dangerous on the Energy Blast.
I know you're probably asking specifically how they apply to Pulsar's energy blast, but Smashing and Dangerous... am I correct that generally those are just what Thorpacolypse uses as short-hand for giving a device, piece of equipment, or power Improved Smash and Improved Critical as power feats respectively? I can't find anywhere on the J-MART thread that says this explicitly (may just be failing my Perception check) but that is the conclusion I came to.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Smashing and Dangerous are from the gadget guide and they should in fact be Improved Smash and Improved Critical.
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

I am curious, How does Grym stack up?
Syncretik

Post by Syncretik »

StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm Syncretik: On vacation hard to get to rule sets, so
- please explain Smashing and Dangerous on the Energy Blast.
As the others have said Smashing and Dangerous are just Gadget Guide terms for Improved Smash and Improved Critical; they're there to help represent the sheer level of power he outputs with that attack - increased chance to do serious damage/destroy objects seems fairly logical to me.
StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm - I'm going to put a no on Accurate as a Teleport extra. I've played teleporters enough to know the headaches Accurate can bring to a storyline.
Fair enough. That was mostly there for potential entertainment value rather than easy barrier circumvention. I presume, then, you are also not using the 'You can try to teleport to an unperceived/unfamiliar place without the Accurate modifier, but you might end up in a wall and die' alternative rule either?
StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm - Perception on Move Object runs into the area effect rule for the campaign. It has to go.
Sure. Not having perception range on a telekinesis analog feels a bit strange, but no worries.
StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm I think you're going to need to look at tweaking the Array. 53 is a huge chunk of points but having to lose Perception might be a good thing. You can strip off a few bells and whistles from the other powers an the array and maybe put a few points in ... oh day defense :)
Dropping the Perception range upgrade on the Move Object power wont free up any points as it is an alternative effect; the Create power is the keystone. The low defences/powerful Create effect combo is deliberate - the idea is that he outsources his defences to a Created bubble; hard to kill once the barrier is up, but vulnerable before (a "glass turtle"). On top of that, losing any ranks would also lose the Impervious Toughness 10, thus making his barriers/objects vulnerable to conventional firearms. I'll still change things if you'd prefer a more conventional setup, but that was my line of reasoning.
StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm Other than tweaking the array I think Pulsar looks fine.
In its current state, the array pretty much is Pulsar :P

As an aside, what's the DL on area modifiers? Are they something that we'll be allowed to use later on, or are they just not a thing?
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Not the GM, only an applicant however, what's been nagging me is the hugely powerful create, it is basically fire & forget. You are able to crank up an Impervious 10 Barrier, which is Continuous which means next round you can switch slots and it will remain active with no action required on your part, and you can blast away to all high hell from behind it.

It is immune to damage of Rank 10 or below, so it requires a rocket launcher or something more powerful to have a chance of damaging it. It *still* get's a Toughness save, and if it's damaged (ie. a hole is broken through it, next round you create another one. Meanwhile the entire team is free to turtle inside it and pew-pew through the selective barrier. It's like a floating firebase.

I just know how I would use it, but maybe that's just the war-gamer in me.
Syncretik

Post by Syncretik »

Impervious grants immunity to damage of half its rank in 3e. I've never tried this type of character before, so maybe it will work like that, but I imagine if everyone huddles in the bubble it would get focused down faster than it could be refreshed. On top of that perception range attacks ignore it entirely, potentially indirect ones too, and anyone with teleport/permeate etc can bypass it. On top of that, any non-combatants would get barrier priority, and with his +0 initiative and weak defences, he's very vulnerable in the first round.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm
Captain Chaos: Right off the bat I'm not seeing any issues with the build. May I offer a suggestion? And it truly is just a idea I'm tossing your way. In comic when he was Commander Rogers, Steve had a energy shield that took the shape of a shield, could alter to a shell protecting him and others and had a ranged energy effect (either a blast or energy shield that looked thrown I forget) Have you thought of tailoring Miss America's telekinetic powers as an homage to that and her MCU idol? Its just a thought. Build is good as is.
I was unaware Captain America ever had that ability. Sounds interesting. I'm not quite sure how to build that powerwise but it would fit the character. Let me look through the powers and see if I can come up with something. Sounds like a base energy shield with a couple of alternate effects.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

CaptainChaos wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:27 am
StarGuard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm
I was unaware Captain America ever had that ability. Sounds interesting. I'm not quite sure how to build that powerwise but it would fit the character. Let me look through the powers and see if I can come up with something. Sounds like a base energy shield with a couple of alternate effects.
He's referring to this I think. It's been used by a few people, or at least, variation of it and it's been shown to be a pretty versatile tool and weapon.

On another topic: Just waiting on any comment on Hildr's reworking. I'd not mind hearing from other applicants as well on her.
Tomorrow

Post by Tomorrow »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 pm Apparently the Spider-Man movie has something to do with Chitauri. >.>

Oddly coincidental. I havn't seen it yet, so I have no clue how it's all layed out. But considering I linked Spiderman to him in his backstory, there's likely some tie in between Renegade and the movie.
Without getting into serious spoilers, the only Chitauri take away from Homecoming is that the issue of remnants of Chitauri technology being out in the world post-Battle of New York is apparently a bigger deal than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and other MCU stuff have previously established, especially in terms of potential proliferation. Super-tech based street level thugs and goons are totally a thing in the MCU.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Tomorrow wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:45 am
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 pm Apparently the Spider-Man movie has something to do with Chitauri. >.>

Oddly coincidental. I havn't seen it yet, so I have no clue how it's all layed out. But considering I linked Spiderman to him in his backstory, there's likely some tie in between Renegade and the movie.
Without getting into serious spoilers, the only Chitauri take away from Homecoming is that the issue of remnants of Chitauri technology being out in the world post-Battle of New York is apparently a bigger deal than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and other MCU stuff have previously established, especially in terms of potential proliferation. Super-tech based street level thugs and goons are totally a thing in the MCU.
Which is oddly coincidental since I wrote him as specifally going after criminals using and abusing Chitauri technology to recover it.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Bladewind

Re: OOC: Marvel Cinema Universe 2.0 [Recruiting]

Post by Bladewind »

Dang. I missed this. We'll be following you closely... :lol:

Hero4hire's I was a teenage alien!
Captain chaos's sexy doctor
Todosker's Inhumanly mundane character
Shadowbourne's Grymie
Flynnarrel's door
Zero Prime's cat
Doctor Malsyn's ugly alien
Miss Ro's literally HOT character
Uncanny's predator
Epic's viking lady
Camu's sushi slicer
Syncretik's Pulsar
Tomorrow's ultra

And since I am anal about the linkage thing, so here's the list with hyperlinks... (I didn't check them all, I just quoted and reformatted...)
Last edited by Bladewind on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Tomorrow

Re: OOC: Marvel Cinema Universe 2.0 [Recruiting Closed]

Post by Tomorrow »

You exclude myself and Syncretik.
Bladewind

Re: OOC: Marvel Cinema Universe 2.0 [Recruiting Closed]

Post by Bladewind »

Oops. I just quoted the links. I will definitely fix that - but bear in mind I am sticking my nose where it really doesn't belong. :P

Edit--- and.... added ! 8-)
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document