OOC: Marvel Cinema Universe 2.1 [Now Showing]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Syncretik

Re: OOC: Marvel Cinema Universe 2.0 [Recruiting]

Post by Syncretik »

Hello all, I've been lurking around both this board and the Ronin Army one for a while, without posting anything more than a few rules queries, so I figured it was probably past time I actually applied for a game, and the premise of this one seems very interesting, so I'm officially sticking my oar in.

Unfortunately I've been a little busy of late so I haven't had time to nail everything down, but the basic concept for my character is thus: he's an "Inhuman" who was captured by HYDRA for use in one of their myriad super-soldier creation experiments; specifically a program integrate the power of the Tesseract into living people (the Tesseract was in SHIELD's hands for a good while, so I figure HYDRA would have had plenty of opportunities to get some time with it; their original aim being to create weapons like Zola did/SHIELD would later do, until some bright spark suggested they try and use the power to create agents capable of taking on anything the good-guys could throw at them). Many unsuccessful experiments later, the research team "acquired" Ronan, and the power/painstakingly-developed (emphasis on the 'pain') experimental techniques interacted with his Inhuman gene to finally create a successful result. The process of developing this power to usable/useful state was very long and exceedingly unpleasant, but, eventually, their dreams were realised. Then the events of The Winter Soldier happened; HYDRA was unmasked and mostly destroyed, following which Ronan was either rescued by a SHIELD team, or simply escaped in the chaos (I haven't decided yet).

Between then and a little before the start of the game, I figure he went into higher education (trying to pick up the pieces of his life, and all that), and did a degree in Theoretical Physics (both to try and better understand himself, as well as general interest); possibly a doctorate to, depending on how the timeline works out (what's the interval between the fall of HYDRA and the start of the game?). His education could be sponsored by SHIELD, prior to their dismantlement, if he was rescued by them/maintained a half-decent relationship, or he might have decided to skip the whole 'avoiding the people you care about so they don't get hurt' drama and reconnected with his parents, and taken a more conventional route to University/College.

As for how he gets into the hero-ing business, my current notions are that he either finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, and is forced to use his powers to save himself and/or other people; or, for a softer reveal, his psychologist/councillor suggests it might be good for him to start using his abilities to help people, as a way to help him deal with/get over his trauma (the councillor could potentially be a member of SHIELD/the UN, depending on the nature of his relationship with them).

------------------

As far as his powers go, he'll be focussed on energy-matter conversion (Create Object), energy projection (Blast), and sub-space manipulation (Flight/Teleport) i.e. Tesseract-y stuff. Weakness-wise, he'll be vulnerable to fear effects (courtesy of his past trauma), pretty useless at close range, and vulnerable without the protection of some kind of Created barrier (I plan on making his Dodge/Parry/Toughness sub-par).

So there you go. I hope you like the concept; feedback is always appreciated. I'm going to go and hash together a draft of his stats whilst I wait; I'll wait a little bit before fleshing out the character completely, in case there any issues I need to address.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

StarGuard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:26 amMiss Ro: Ditto for Red Nova, hits the campaign marks ... what would you think of a grandfatherly link to early SHIELD or Strategic Scientific Reserve (SSR)?
I'd 100% be down with that. I was actually toying with the idea of making her a shield agent to start.
Camus

Post by Camus »

StarGuard wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:26 am Camus: Nice background. I can't decide if using the Silver Samurai moniker like this is genius or what. I think the former probably. My only question is there an "origin" for his max human statline? I think the Hand connection might be a good place to work from there.
Thanks for the many compliments! I hadn't really given much thought on the origin of his above average talents, although in his era there were many such great talented swordsmen, but of course other clans wouldn't try to buy in the rival's clan daimyo, despite how good he was with a sword! Are you suggesting having the Hand meddling with him somehow? I don't want to step on the NPC characters background so much (Like Chase or Iron Fist), but if you think it would be a good hook I have no problem.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Suddenly Jimmy's ability to speak and understand ancient Japanese seems much more useful.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

'aight. Hildr is completed short of any needed tweaks. Feedback is always welcome.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@Epic ; Thanks for the info, I added the necessary tweaks.

Who else wishes the new spider man movie came out sooner?
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Working on the background now, just up to the point where his wrestling career is apparently ended due to injury, however, a thought comes to mind. Timelines ...

Assuming the game starts in 2017, the Chitauri happened in early 2012? So five years ago? SHIELD imploded in 2014 with the events of Winter Soldier, and finally the Ultron event in Sokovia occurred in 2015, while vigilantism rose in New York as the media focused on the actions of the Daredevil?

Which would put the events of Civil War in 2016?

Just trying to make sure we have a consensus as some of these may factor into our collective backstories, and I just want to make sure I have the timing right.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

All i know is the events happen in the order of the movies(flashbacks not withstanding and I'm not as familiar with the TV series, given they run over a longer period, so harder to place exactly unless they use dates), not how much time occurs between them, so I kept time relatively vague with the movie events as markers and noting that there was in fact time in between them, if not how much.

I do see what you are getting at though. Based on the years you put there, Hildr's been training herself back into warrior form for about a year and a half maybe and has been on Earth since, I guess late 2013 if we go by movie release year (She arrived during the events of Thor: The Dark World), so has been on earth for about 3 and a half years, during which Washington had a big scare (Winter Soldier), Ultron happened 2 years ago, which is when Hildr started her retraining, (Antman happens as well, but those events weren't as widespread. SHe may have heard of stuff, but I think the aspects that Antman himself played wouldn't be quite so front and center) and then Civil War was one year ago.

Seems like a fair timeline.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Just a quick pop in during my lunch. Will hit the other concepts tomorrow on my day off.

Syncretik: looks like a good start. I am surprised there aren't more Inhuman based ideas. Descriptor wise I don't even see need for the Tesseract - sometimes less is more - but both are good sources as power origins ala Daisy and Wanda.

MissRo, actually everyone thanks for helping each other with ideas. It's the kind of esprit de corp that makes for a good community :-)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Something pithy this way comes."
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

StarGuard wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:02 pmMissRo, actually everyone thanks for helping each other with ideas. It's the kind of esprit de corp that makes for a good community :-)
Always happy to help. <3
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:03 pm I don't know if this helps

http://www.christiantate.co.uk/wordpres ... TE_MCU.jpg
Oh God, my brain hurts just looking at that. XD Horrible flashbacks to chemistry class in highschool.
Camus

Post by Camus »

MissRo wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:42 am

Oh God, my brain hurts just looking at that. XD Horrible flashbacks to chemistry class in highschool.
Ha ha ha thought the same
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
T0DOSKER

Post by T0DOSKER »

Well that was a treat. I actually hadn't seen any of the Marvel One-Shots and that web of wonder inspired me to do so, pretty cool stuff.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've seen more complicated timelines...

Still, helpful in it's own right.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Firstly, Syncretik thank you for showing interest in the game and coming forth with your concept. I look forward to seeing it in character form. Highly suggest Thorpocalypse formatting :)

As an aside ....
I'm trying to decide whether or not the television show Inhumans is actually going to be a thing and if so how to incorporate it into this game ... or not.

If it is as it appears to be ... outside the Agents of SHIELD universe ... that creates ... game Complications.

In every sense of the word ;)

Open Bias: Even though I liked Daisy (and Lincoln), I've always been a fan of the Royal Family and disliked the AoS approach.

Neat timeline. I don't agree with some of its extrapolation and it will be inaccurate for the game but fun to read as a thumb sketch