M&M 3E X-Men AU Children of the Atom (Recruiting closed)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shadowbourne

Re: Interest: XMEN AU

Post by Shadowbourne »

Here is a question...is there anything that you have issue with when it comes to submissions? Things that immediately push the submission back. What could negatively impact your decision?
Tomorrow

Post by Tomorrow »

Sorry if I overloaded you with a list (I removed it), its just not clear what kind of game you're wanting to run tone/theme-wise even within the context of the two options. I mean, in terms of option one alone, there are various examples of super-teen settings/shows with quite varied tones/themes. If the game is option 1, would we be shooting for more Teen Titans, X-Men Evolution, Young Justice, or maybe something else? Though now it seems like your going with option 2, so maybe this isn't important.

Also my question about powers wasn't so much about what a GM could counter, it was more about what you personally would take issue with. For example, I've been in a Pathfinder game where I had to abruptly drop my Blood Mage because a while after the game had started the DM disclosed to me that the concept of the blood magic stuff was making them sort of squeamish. It had nothing to do with effectiveness/counter-ability of the character, it was just a hang up for them. One of the characters from the previous list had a power whose primary application was introducing drug-like chemicals into the bodies of others. Mechanically, that's like a really simple Perception Ranged Affliction effect. No big. But the power itself, regardless of balance, might not be acceptable to certain GMs because of personal tastes and such.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

H4H does bring up an excellent point. I do think option 2 could work, but the stars do pretty much have to align, given the nature of pbp games.

Considering that I really do want this to succeed, I think I'll pull rank and say we're doing option 1 instead. Sorry to those who were really hoping for option 2, though I know at least some of you liked both ideas regardless were just more interested in the freedoms option 2 presented, thinking more on it, something like that would be more suitable for a tabletop or some other more instant medium like discord.

I will update the first post to reflect this and PL/PP stuff.
Hawk wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm Is either one acceptable?
As I said in a previous post, I am not going to select ideas from lists because it gives an unfair impression that it has a greater chance of success. THat having been said, you gave the absolute minimum of information there, kinda like if I asked what was for dinner and you knew it was a magnificent steak or a simple hamburger but all you told me is "it's got meat". Both as power sets sound reasonable, but whether you are implementing them in a way congruent with Marvel style mutants is not something you really hinted at.

To clarify; HOW or WHY are they like a brick with enhanced running speed? I know "Because mutant", but what mutation allows this particular power set to exist for them? Same with the solar powers. I don't care what the power set itself is, so long as it is detailed to some degree because mutants seem as though they have have damn near ANY power set and ti be a mutation, and that is fine. But there are more details than a basic description of the power set; I point out Cyclops' eye beams again. They are simple energy blasts, but there is an explanation as to where the energy comes from.
Shadowbourne wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 pm Here is a question...is there anything that you have issue with when it comes to submissions? Things that immediately push the submission back. What could negatively impact your decision?
Ultimately, I expect that most people on these boards, unless they specify otherwise, are pretty familiar with M&M and know what power combinations are abusive. I did take a break from the game for a few years, but I've gotten the hang of it again quickly, so when it comes to abusive mechanics, I'm pretty sharp at spotting them. Just don't use them, or implement a counter balance to it and make sure you're pointing out that you are aware you've got something potentially abusive and what you did to counterbalance that potential abusive power to reign it in.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to list things that will negatively impact a submission besides what i mentioned above because they are things that can be specific to how something was put together or a detail that just seems off, and if I come across those, I'll generally point out or ask about them, and that said I don't expect anyone here would go specifically try to build something that will try and break the game or grief the rest of us, for a variety of reasons.

What I can say that will positively impact a submission is details. Depth. Creativity. I don't need a novel or masterful writings for any of those things, but if you can take a less mainstream power and make an interesting character out of it, I am more inclined to look more closely at it, or take a more overused archetype like bricks or speedsters and apply an interesting mechanic to those powers. Character background and personality are obviously big elements, but so are powers, as they are one of the biggest identifying features of a superpowered character, and mutants in particular tend to have very interesting powersets outside the norm, or executed in unique ways (Again, friggin' Cyclops. Love him or hate him, his eye beams have like two paragraphs of explanation on his wiki page. For simple optic blasts. It's a power that is constructed with a single power mechanic (Damage) with a few modifiers added. And it has TWO PARAGRAPHS of explaining how they work and their properties. I don't expect anyone to go to this length by ANY means (Please, please don't make me read a novel), I just mean this as an example of how even the simplest power can have a depth of flavor through detail.)
Tomorrow wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:29 pm its just not clear what kind of game you're wanting to run tone/theme-wise even within the context of the two options. I mean, in terms of option one alone, there are various examples of super-teen settings/shows with quite varied tones/themes. If the game is option 1, would we be shooting for more Teen Titans, X-Men Evolution, Young Justice, or maybe something else?
Fair point. I REALLY loved Young Justice (Season 3 please @_@) and would love to do something more in that tone; modern, mature but not too dark, definitely dealing with personal and interpersonal issues (complications are golden here), you are teenagers after all, trying to figure the world and yourselves out, add on that being a mutant. Worse puberty surprise ever (Or best depending on your take on it. I would love to have gotten super powers, squeaky voice and acne be damned). That said, I mean more in tone, less in the actual team dynamic.
Tomorrow wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:29 pm Also my question about powers wasn't so much about what a GM could counter, it was more about what you personally would take issue with. For example, I've been in a Pathfinder game where I had to abruptly drop my Blood Mage because a while after the game had started the DM disclosed to me that the concept of the blood magic stuff was making them sort of squeamish. It had nothing to do with effectiveness/counter-ability of the character, it was just a hang up for them. One of the characters from the previous list had a power whose primary application was introducing drug-like chemicals into the bodies of others. Mechanically, that's like a really simple Perception Ranged Affliction effect. No big. But the power itself, regardless of balance, might not be acceptable to certain GMs because of personal tastes and such.
Again, fair point. I am much more concerned with what can be abused, but you are correct that the game's tone is an important detail to consider. Something lighthearted isn't going to mesh well with the ability to expel blood from your opponent's pores or something, regardless of how that is built exactly..

So your drug-themed power, while definitely something I could see as an X-Man mutant, not the best choice for a PC (Though if you don't mind, I may borrow that power set idea since it could make for an interesting story), I mean, there was a character who used her pheromone control to seduce and sleep with others, a character who induces drug-like chemicals into someone else's body is definitely an interesting mutant power, but probably not the best choice for a player character.
EpicEclipse

Re: Recruiting: M&M 3E X-Men AU (Name pending)

Post by EpicEclipse »

First post is updated. Have at it and I'll fill in more information about teachers and stuff between work as i can. Suffice to say, Xavier is the headmaster of the school. If you would like for a specific canon X-man character to be a professor in the school, I can certainly be flexible to allow it in so long as I don't have other plans for them. (And right now that list is quite small because I like to use original characters)
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Hawk wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm Is either one acceptable?
As I said in a previous post, I am not going to select ideas from lists because it gives an unfair impression that it has a greater chance of success. THat having been said, you gave the absolute minimum of information there, kinda like if I asked what was for dinner and you knew it was a magnificent steak or a simple hamburger but all you told me is "it's got meat". Both as power sets sound reasonable, but whether you are implementing them in a way congruent with Marvel style mutants is not something you really hinted at.

To clarify; HOW or WHY are they like a brick with enhanced running speed? I know "Because mutant", but what mutation allows this particular power set to exist for them? Same with the solar powers. I don't care what the power set itself is, so long as it is detailed to some degree because mutants seem as though they have have damn near ANY power set and ti be a mutation, and that is fine. But there are more details than a basic description of the power set; I point out Cyclops' eye beams again. They are simple energy blasts, but there is an explanation as to where the energy comes from.

Sorry. I am new to M&M, and this would be my first build. I will provide better details later.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, welcome and happy to have you. I look forward to seeing what you, and everyone for that matter, lays out on the table.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

What age[s] are you looking for? We should all be around the same class level I'd think for group cohesion.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

Callsign: Shadowjak
Name: Anton Jakova
Nationality: Ukrainian
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9”
Weight: 153 lbs.
Description: Pale, Eurasian features lend an almost aristocratic air. At the same time, a sleek and almost feral vulpine cast plays about his features. Framing the predatory countenance, long black hair the color of night ripples with a purple sheen with his slightly pointed ears peeking out. That same sheen gleams in his cold gray eyes when they reflect light. A single glance affirms who is the predator and who is the prey. In addition to his natural features, Anton has a healthy mix of piercings and a unique, tattoo he calls his Hex/Scar*.
  • Hex/Scar. The Hex/Scar is an amalgamation of scarification and tattoo that winds around his body, especially his torso and arms. It is composed of spiky, tribal-like runes in a coiling, skeletal serpentine pattern. The Hex/Scar pulses with his every heartbeat, giving the bodyart an eerie semblance of life.
Enshrouding his form is a beat up and tattered, hooded Duster/Greatcoat he calls his Duskmantle. An odd mix of Gothic and Urban, it flows with a mix of arcane patterns, leather straps, and skulls. Flat black, deep as midnight, only the hand drawn runes and sigils add any color, a deep, neon purple. The left arm is sleeveless, with his wrist and hand wrapped in black and purple leather strapping. This exposes the Hex/Scar, an amalgamation of scarification and tattoo that coils around his left arm and torso. Ripped, black jeans and scuffed Doc Martens protect his legs and feet.

Shadow of the past...
Breathing heavily, the slim figure runs full tilt, trying to elude his pursuers. Up, over, and through, he flows over the terrains almost effortlessly. Even so, the fleeing form, cannot help but glance back at those who chase him. In doing so, he almost collides with the large brick expanse of the wall that is suddenly in his path. Instead of impacting with a momentum stealing thud, the figure simply flows into the wall, melting into a sliding patch of darkness that glides up its height.

At the top, the figure emerges from that pool of darkness in a graceful leap that allows it to sail across the buildings roof, only touching down for another vault over the other side. Paranoia, or instinct, something drives him on...moving out into moving traffic,reaching out to slip into the darting shadows of the speeding traffic. Like a graceful ballet, the reformed darkness dances from car to car, sliding through the rush hour as an unassuming shadow.

Yet...yet no matter how far...no matter how fast he goes, he cannot escape the feeling of being...pursued. A feeling that no longer just follows, but one that moves all around with the same ease he does. Coming to a halt within an alley. Turning, he looks to face those who chase him. He is tired of being prey. He is tired of running blindly. Time to show his teeth.

“Anton Jakova,” the voice is both authoritative and compassionate. Not an easy tone to pull off without sounding condescending. More importantly, while he hears the voice, his hears do not register it. Shaking his head, Anton looks wildly about, seeking the one that chased him. “Anton Jakova, are you tired of running?” The voice echoes even though there is no sound. It reaches deep into him, pulling memories forward. Memories he has pushed down, suppressed. Memories he had forgotten.

His parents...just large faceless figures, with no definition, no feelings. They were brief in their impact upon his life. Nothing more than a flicker. Then came the cold church. The place where he was one of many. Where he was just another mouth, just another body. The nuns...them he remembers. Their abusive, relentless need to make him be one of the many. Their need for him to fit in...and the pain and neglect that came when he inevitably did not conform.

That, however, was nothing compared to the emergence of his mutant gift. That first time he slid into a shadow and flowed effortlessly. That moment of freedom. That exhilaration...all ruined by the immediate response of witchcraft and deviltry. The vile viciousness they resorted to when one of their charges displayed what they clearly considered satanic abilities. That pain...

That was the first night that he ran. He ran into the night away from the pain that had been his life. It was their that Anton learned another valuable lesson. Pain often followed you. It did not give up, it did not relent. He just changed its delivery.

Alone, one the streets, Anton turned to his newfound gift and used it to survive. And survive is what he did. He could go anywhere, get in anywhere, and take anything he wanted. However, there were rules. Rules that he did not know. You never took from those that needed it more than you did. You never took from those that you wanted something from...you needed them more than what needed from them. And you never took from those that could take from you...someone who would take from you.

The time all burred together. The moments of triumph, the moments of loss, and more importantly, the moments of discovery. He became a whisper. The shadow that stole...the darkness that took. He became a local urban legend. Then...then he became a problem. More specifically, he became someone's problem. Someone who took from others, someone who needed no one, someone who nobody took from.

The next flashes show running...more and more running. They show close calls with little to no rest. They show fatigue...they show fear. What they don't show is who. Who is the one. There is no face, there is no name.

“All of that...Are you not tired of all of that? Are you not tired of having no home?” The voice is soothing, pleading, yet...yet while it is a question asked, there is a thread of promise woven into it. Standing there in the alley, Anton braces as his head twists from side to side, looking for the origin of the voice. His agitated state, animates his shadow. Its demonic, feline form twitching and slinking, often in the opposite direction.

“Come with me Anton...Come with me and I will offer you a home,” His head jerks back to the opening of the alley as the shadow of a man glides across the wall. A man in a wheelchair. “A home where you will not be called a demon...” As the form wheels into view, Anton looks to bolt, yet...yet something beyond the words radiates from the man. Certainty. The conviction of one who knows that what he says is what will be. “A place where you and your gift...all of your gifts will be accepted. A place where you can be what you have always wanted to be...what you should be.”

The man is now directly in front of him, looking up at him. “ Anton Jakova...you deserve to be happy. You deserve to be...you. Come with me. Come to Xavier's School for the Gifted. Come be free.”

Attributes 32pp
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 2, Fighting 4, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Mutation: Umbral Transmigration 48pp
Anton is a dimensional conduit for a parallel dimension composed entirely of dark energy. Referring to it as the Shadowzone, Anton can shift between a three-dimensional “mass” state inherent to our dimension and the two-dimensional, quasi-energy state of the Shadowzone. Anton can also project his dimensional shift to objects and targets, shifting them into the two-dimensional, quasi-energy state.

Anton's main use of this ability is Shadowflow, a form of Skitching( grabbing onto a moving object and riding while using some form of wheeled conveyance) that optimizes his Umbral Transmigration. He has also developed several stunts using his enhanced mode of mobility.
Shadowflow 34pp Total
---Insubstantial 4: Shadow(Must list a Vulnerability: Light Attacks) (20pp)
---Visual Concealment: All, Darkness and Shadows only (4pp)
---Enhanced Advantage: Hide in Plain Sight (1pp)
---Movement 3: Slither ad Wall Crawling 2 (6pp)
---Feature 2: Switchable Tether (2pp)
*Alternate Effect:Umbral Undertow 32pp
---Subtle Damaging Move Object 7 with Accurate 3 and Variable Descriptor(Collisions/Impacts)

Shadowstride 8pp Total
---Leap 1(1pp)
---Speed 1(1pp)
---Movement 2: Sure Footed and Safe Fall (4pp)
*Alternate Effect: Shadowshift
---Teleportation 3(250 feet), Medium: Shadows with Change Direction, Subtle and Turnabout (6pp)
*Alternate Effect: Shadowtag
---Speed 8, Limited: Only while Tethered in Shadowflow (4pp)
---Movement 1: Trackless (2pp)

Shadowboxxing 3pp Total
---Damage 2 with Accurate 1

Umbral 3pp Total
---Immunity 1: Suffocation while in Shadowflow. (1pp)
---Senses 2: Darkvision (2pp)

Advantages 10pp
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll 4, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Language 1(Base Ukraine: English),Move-By Action, Uncanny Dodge

Skills 13pp
Acrobatics 4(8), Deception 2(3), Expertise: Streetwise 6(7), Perception 4(6), Sleight of Hand 4(6), Stealth 6(10)

Offense
Initiative +4
Umbral Undertow +8 DC22
Shadowboxxing +6 DC17

Defenses 17pp
Dodge 10, Parry 10
Toughness 6/2 without Defensive Roll
Fortitude 5
Will 5

Complications:
Shadow of the Beast: Anton's shadow has a decidedly inhuman silhouette. While still a bipedal humanoid in form, it has feline and reptilian aspects; sleek, pointed ears...or horns? Sinuous, serpentine tail-like appendage that flows about. Hands that end in talons...In addition to its demonic shape, the shadow moves freely without any cues from Anton. This freedom results in its portrayal of Anton's current emotional state and his hidden desires. This, along with the shadows demonic form caused Anton to be label as something sinister and supernatural in the Old Country.

Oh my Goth: Labeled a warlock by the nuns that had raised him, Anton has adopted a an Urban Goth style, mainly due to his early religious influences and persecution. The emergence of his gifts have solidified this by their very nature, pushing his taste into alternative and dark flavors. This gives Anton a perceived persona...one of evil and wicked.

Shadows in the Dark:
Anton has a powerful nemesis. One that he does not who they are. This hidden, powerful enemy has not forgotten that the young mutant took from him. That the Shadowthief stole from him, proved that some could take from him. The truly sad hing is that Anton has no idea what he took from this individual. Currently the nemesis is only searching in Eastern European countries. Should Anton's whereabouts be earned, Anton Jakova will once again be hunted.
Last edited by Shadowbourne on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 am, edited 20 times in total.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

I have narrowed my concepts down to the following. Opinions welcome.

Fastlane can almost instantly "build" vehicles around himself (Summon Vehicle) also a Savant-level auto mechanic. He could *probably* do air or spacecrafts eventually, but not at first. He would be more "Fast & the Furious".

Martyr Martyr's body can sustain a sickening amount of damage and he keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny. This would be Half Effect Immunity and some Super-Stamina but with the Subtle modifier so it appears that every blow, every cut is doing damage. He is just *taking it*.

Redline a living battery, Redline can charge up anything with a powersource by touching it. Amping up energy weapons he holds or recharging batteries. He can also overload things and can probably "shock" people too. (Some kind of Array with Boost/Damage/etc)

Overdrive Mutant modified endocrine system. Giving adrenal boost, maybe pheremonal stuff. Basically a "just superhuman" scrapper with thought out biological descriptors.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 pm What age[s] are you looking for? We should all be around the same class level I'd think for group cohesion.
As far as I am aware, Xavier school puts students in classes based on ability, not age, you can be a range and still have similar classes.

There are two ways we can go, have all the PCs have connections to each other outside of class or something else... like being trouble cases that need remedial/detention. Breakfast Club style. :p

Ultimately your character should be in the teenager range, 13-18. It isn't a huge range so it can be pretty flexible.
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

The backstory for Shadowjak will definitely work in the remedial/detention vein of things.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Epic, how do you feel about players including made up members of the staff in their backstories? Had the thought to make her father a teacher.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Camus

Post by Camus »

Name: Rafael Schults AKA Briophyte Height 1.7 mts
Skin: Bark Weight 25 kg
Hair: Leaves Shape
Eyes: Green-yellow Age: 16

Bio:
It was a nice spring day, and the school gardens were in full blossom. The mutant haters would not understand how these children played like normal children do, because the very reason contradicts their world view: it is because they are normal children, only with some special gifts or problems, in some cases. The later could be said about the lonely little man sitting under the shade of a willow tree, the only tree in the gardens not adorned with flowers. In the distance, his silhouette could seem like that of any other young boy. Up close, his skin was as rough as the willow tree bark, his hair undulating in the wind like the undulating branches of the tree that gave him shade. Several different sprouts of vegetation grew on his mossy body, some also flowering due to the warmth of the season. But this lone man's eyes, green and yellow, were fixed in the school building. The white walls and the tall roofs. His name was Rafael, and had entered Xavier school for the gifted this very year. Part of him was glad, he didn't get violently bullied like in his previous school, and many students had reached out to him, despite his looks. However, even in this place there were "names". Some boys called him Broccoliman. Trent. Bulbasaur. Their number knows no bound. He reasoned that the problem was not that he was half plant, the problem was himself. How he accepted himself. If he wouldn't embrace his own self with respect and pride, then no one, no matter they are half-cauliflower, would respect him. Then there is Laura of course, but she is set aside from the rest of the mortals. Her mutations is constant production of light, smething she cant control for now, so she dresses in layers of obscuring clothing. She was the first to approach Rafael, and both have established what could be called friendship. Rafael feels strangely attracted to her, even beyond what one could call romantic. He is actually not sure if he can harbour that particular emotion anymore, but he reasons that it is only logical for a plant to be attracted by the sun.
Some mutants have relatively inconspicuous mutations, or powers that activate at determined moments, otherwise living a relatively normal life. Others however, are forever changed when their X gene manifests. Rafael is a mutant whose genes experience time regression. It is known that all life is connected to a single point in history, and while time is the only thing that separates a person from an algae, times is only relative for the information contained in the genetic code. Rafael's X gene produced a time shift in his genetic code, turning him into a fern-hybrid. Permanently. Suffice to say, the few years that took his transition were the worst.
After that, normal life was almost impossible. Even his parents neglected him, and it was by his own will that he found Xavier school, and convinced his parents to sent him there. Years later he would find that he unconsciously coerced them to do that... With a shuffling of leaves, he shakes his head.
Rafael stood up, in his own woody legs. If he had changed so much in the outside in a few years, then there is no reason he couldn't change in the inside. Purposefully, he walked down the hill of the willow tree, casting a last glance at it. It was his first friend.

Complications
Reclusive : Rafael tends to be by his own, either sitting by the willow tree of walking around the gardens.
Willow Tree : The Willow Tree of the school is his first friend, it has told Rafael many things about the school, and listens to Rafael's problems all the time. Rafael will go to great lengths to protect it.
Monstrous : Rafael looks like a shambling tree man from the Lord of the Rings, not many people want to take hi out to dinner or even ask for the closest bus station.
Bullied: Rafael has been bullied since he was a child, but he has undertaken a change of heart, and will stand u against it, whether it is he who is the target, or someone else.
Acceptance: As most young people Rafael wants to be accepted. While this has been accomplished in some extend thanks to the professor and his school, he was a great length to go. This complication also extends to his kind, the acceptance of mutants as equals is one of his.
Laura Fredrick : Laura emits sunlight continuously through her skin. Laura is Rafael's second friend after Willow tree, and both get along well. Rafael doesn't know it but he is actually feeding on Laura's sunlight, which attracts him to her, like a sunflower. Would Laura stop emitting her light, if she manages to control it, perhaps Rafael will feel no more attraction towards her.

Abilities ( 38 pp)
Strength 5 , Stamina 6 , Agility 0 , Dexterity 0 , Fighting 2 , Intellect 6 , Awareness 0 , Precence 0 .

Powers ( 40 pp)
- Quick-vine ( Affliction 8 : 1st: Impaired and Hindered, 2nd: Immobile and Prone. Resisted by Fort. Extra condition (+1), Limited degree (-1), Linked: Unnarmed attack ) · 9 point/s
- Knockout spores ( AP: Affliction 8 : 1st: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Stunned. Resisted by Fort. Extra condition (+1), Limited degree (-1), Linked: Unnarmed attack ) · 1 point/s
- Charming spores ( AP: Affliction 8 : 1st: Entranced, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd Controlled. Resisted by Fort., Linked: Unnarmed attack ) · 1 point/s

- Sprout poisonous spines ( Affliction 6 : 1: Dazed; 2: Stunned. Reaction (Being attacked), Limited degree ) · 18 point/s
- Sprout vines ( AP: Extra limbs 4 : Extra limbs 5 (Grants advantages 9). Elongation 3 ) · 1 point/s

- Plant physiology ( Immunity : Disease (Not immune to Diseases affecting plants), Poison (Not immune to poisons affecting plants), Starvation and thirst (Requires water and sulight), Sleep ) · 4 point/s
- Celulose ( Protection 4 ) · 4 point/s
- Plant symbiosis ( Comprehend plants ) · 2 point/s

Advantages ( 8 pp)
Close attack 3 , All out attack , Favoured environment(Forests), Improved aim, Power attack, Move by action.
Vines advantages : Chokehold, Fast grab, Prone fighting, Imp. Disarm, Imp. Grab , Imp. Hold , Imp. Critical: Unarmed attack , Imp. Trip, Instant up .

Skills ( 14 pp)
Acrobatics 0 (+ 0 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 0 (+ 5 ), Expertise( Science ) 4 (+ 10 ), Insight 0 (+ 0 ), Treatment 6 (+ 12 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 0 (+ 6 ), Close (unarmed) 3 (+ 8 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Ranged combat (Blast) 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 6 (+ 6 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 4 (+ 10 ), Stealth 5 (+ 5 ).

Offence
Initiative: 0
Throw + 5 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Ranged
Unarmed + 8 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Melee, reach 30ft. applies grab
Grab + 8 Attack for DC: 18 Range: Melee, reach 30ft.
Quick-vine + 0 Attack for DC: 18 Range: 1st: Impaired and Hindered, 2nd: Immobile and Prone. Resisted by Fort. Extra condition (+1), Limited degree (-1), Linked: Unnarmed attack
Knockout spores + 0 Attack for DC: 18 Range: 1st: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Stunned. Resisted by Fort. Extra condition (+1), Limited degree (-1), Linked: Unnarmed attack
Charming spores + 0 Attack for DC: 18 Range: 1st: Entranced, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd Controlled. Resisted by Fort., Linked: Unnarmed attack

Defence ( 20 pp)
Parry: Rank ( 4 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 6
Dodge: Rank ( 6 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 6
Toughness: Feat/power ( 4 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Fortitude: Rank ( 4 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Will: Rank ( 6 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 6

Power points
Abilities 38 + Defences 20 + Skills 14 + Advanteges 8 + Powers 40 = 120
Last edited by Camus on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:29 pm Epic, how do you feel about players including made up members of the staff in their backstories? Had the thought to make her father a teacher.
Go for it. PM me the father's details.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Skew
Wallace Iverson

Wally [exerpt from psych evaluation]: "I 'immigrated' from Dover Harbour, England. (Yes, its got a 'U' you heathen colonists.) You'd migrate too if everythin' smelled like fish an' you had ta look at France every day. 'Immigrated' in this case means I made my way to London an lived on tha streets until some toffer inna wheely chair found me jus' as I was liftin' quid offa some rich bird downtown. He made me put back me hard-earned cash an' brought me cross tha pond ta a swanky school in New York (which I gotta say, I've never been ta 'Old' York, but I gotta think it smells heaps better than the city bastardizing it's name)."

"Okay, I admit it. I aint never had tuppence ta rub together. What? Ya won't me ta say my father was a faffer with a penchant ta knock me about when he was in his cups an me Mum was a knackered nark til she died when I was 9? It was hard on me sis when that happened. She became the target for Dad's.... Look, she pulled a runner when I was 12. Things got uglier for me but that was fine. Fine. I was 13 when I found out I was a mutie. When I learned I could make space go off at all these wonky angles, (sorta like... fold the world askew an such, get it? Me handle: Skew. Tha's clever that is.) Anyways, I thought I'd get outta tha' bunghole of a town, make meself a arseload of money, buy me own flat, maybe a couple Astin Martins like Bond's got, an live the high life, Bob's yer uncle. Only it didn't work out that way. Nuffin but a begger's life stealin' to survive out there, dodgin' tha bobbies and pinching ta eat. It was always excitin' though. I dunno how it's gonna work here at Stuffed-Shirt Finishing Academy for Mutie-Freaks, but I'll give it a go. Dun worry about yer fine China and silver candlesticks, I promised no sticky fingers while I'm 'ere; your stuff's safe as houses. No other kids better not think they can mess wif me though. My power may not be the flashest in a dust up but I can be a crafty and vendictive sod. An' if powers don't come into it I've been in my fair share of scraps."

Height: 5'7"
Weight: None-a-your-bleedin'-business
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Light Brown

Abilities [20pp]
Str 2
Sta 4
Dex 0
Agi 2
Fgt 2
Awe 0
Int 0
Pre 0

Advantages[6pp]: Luck 2, Improved initiative, Uncanny Dodge, Extraordinary Effort, Equipment 1
From powers: Evasion 2

Equipment: Brass knuckles (add 1 to unarmed damage), Lock picks, GoPro (Video recorder) 2, cellphone

Skills [30pp]: Sleight of Hand 12(+12), Technology (Bypassing Security Only, 1pp) 4(+4), Expertise: Burglary 6(+6), Perception 8 (+8 ), Stealth 6(+8), Deception 12(+12 ), Investigation 4(+4), Expertise: Streetwise 4(+4), Close Combat (Unarmed) 6(+8)

Defenses: [12pp]
Toughness 4Sta+ 6 Wierd space = 10
Parry 2Fgt +4Wierd space = 6
Dodge 2Agi +4Wierd Space = 6
Will 0Awe +7pp = 7
Fort 4Sta +5pp = 9

Powers:
Hard life on the streets {training descriptor}
-Second Chance(Will vs. Mental Afflictions), {Representing Stubbornness}[1pp]
-Senses-Low-light Vision [1pp]

Weird Space, [16pp]
-Enhanced Dodge 4
-Enhanced Parry 4
-Protection 6
-Evasion 2
{Wally Surrounds himself with oddly angled Space that directs incoming attacks at odd angles, even redirecting the force into a glancing blow.}

Deflect, Reflect, Redirect, Accurate 4 pr 8, Extended Range [29pp+4AE]
{The key Combat application of a portal power, Wally can intercept incoming attacks and send them at foes (either the original attacker or another foe. +8 to hit new Target.}
AE: -Elongation pr5 {900 ft}, Subtle 2, Quirk - cannot 'wrap'[no grapple bonus], Feature 2: Does not occupy intervening space, Indirect 4, Perk/Feature - Wally can bring small things to himself through his portals, (13p)
-Movement - Permeate 3, (6p)
{Elongated limbs couldn't normally 'pass through' solid objects. With Permeate 3 they can at no speed reduction. Since M&M is an effects based system I felt this was needed to accurately represent the power of sticking an arm through a portal. This might be overkill, but it made sense to add it.}
-Senses: Vision gains Penetrates Concealment and Extended 2 (6p)
-Enhanced trait - Improved Critical 4 to unarmed strike (4p)
{Wally can reach through spatial skews to pick someone's pocket or manually manipulate an object. He creates a portal by his eye to let him see through intervening space as well. He can also punch someone in the back of the head or in the nads hence the Improved critical. With Indirect 4 this attack can come from any direction anywhere so the target might be vulnerable the first few attacks (GMs call). Of course he's still thwarted if the inside space is dark.}
AE: Enhanced Trait, Affects other only, Add Perception Range to any close or ranged attack up to power 10 (20points), Reach 8 {adds 40 feet to the touch range of who he grants the Perception Range too}
Feature -Skew picks target.
{Flavor-wise, Wally creates a portal for an ally near him and chooses the end point of that portal. The ally CAN (they are under no obligation to do so) attack through the portal and hit that target.
Mechanically, Wally's touch-range effect (extended to 40ft) grants the target (who must be an ally and willing or else the effect would have the 'Attack' modifier) increased range-Perception for one of their attacks (either Close or Ranged), up to PL10. But it would normally let whoever he was Enhancing pick their target so the Feature represents that Wally controls the target.}
AE: - Remote sensing (Sight/Hearing), Simultaneous, Subtle{DC25 to detect}, Quirk: No depth perception in either sense, PR 5,
- Communication (Auditory), Subtle pr 2
{Wally creates small portals in front of his eye of just inside his ear, scanning an area [up to 900 feet] with them. DC27 to Notice. He can likewise whisper/Speak through a portal almost directly in someone's ear if need be [Up to a mile].}
AE: Teleport, Portal, Extended, Change Direction, Precise pr 5
{Silvery portals let Wally step 900 ft, or, if he pushes it, 30 miles, but the journey is jarring (Vulnerable for 1 round).}

Run up portals; Flight 1, Platform [1pp]
{Wally can create silvery portals that lead to the ground and run up them like stairs or stand on one to hover.}

Offenses:
initiative: +6
Unarmed, +8, DC 18 Toughness

Abilities 20+ Skills30 + Advantages6 + Defenses12 + Powers52 = 120

Complications:
Trouble-maker - Wally's reputation as a street rat from England has probably got around the school. His attitude as not-a-team player doesn't help things. Nor his 'tough guy' posturing.

Family - Wally's got a Father in Dover and though he hasn't come looking since Wally ran away it doesn't mean he can't cause trouble.
Wally has a sister, Beatrice Iverson (goes by Bea or Tricia, or even Trixie). Wally hasn't seen her in 4 years. He looked for her when he first ran away but no luck. He doesn't know if she's manifested any abilities or what has befallen her.

Some lines you just don't cross - Wally is an equal opportunity douchebag, he'll be surly and downright verbally abusive at anyone. He has no problems enacting or participating in violence either. But he will not engage in non-consensual touch with a member of the female sex especially in an 'inappropriate' way. He cannot abide that in others either. He's got a sister after all. Somewhere.

Vices - Wally smokes (Nearly everyone in England does and cigarette's were easy to get). He's also the kind to drink if he can get away with it. He'll try to refrain as he doesn't really want to get kicked out of school. And as stores won't sell cigarettes to minors in America his options are limited.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:07 am, edited 8 times in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."