M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: M&M 3e, Young Protectors (Recruiting)

Post by Flynnarrel »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:50 pm Now that we got some builds scattered in here, I figured I'd comb through and post a list of the characters and their mentors for easy reference of Herosen and for anyone who is curious what mentors are already being sought after and what sort of stuff has been submitted.

Flynnarrel / Knave of Hearts / Jack of Clubs / Mentor: Queen of Hearts / Mini-Hulk, except "Puny Banner" is an Errol Flynn type second story man thief.
Thanks for collecting these together. As a note, it's just Jack Clubs (no 'of'). It's a play off of 'Hulk Smash' that still fits the suit of cards motif. And Errol Flynn is the inspiration for my username! :)
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Updated with correction. Fussy people. :P

Zero Prime / Vulcan / Mentor: Io / Energy and matter manipulator
Flynnarrel / Knave of Hearts / Jack Clubs / Mentor: Queen of Hearts / Mini-Hulk, except "Puny Banner" is an Errol Flynn type second story man thief.
McGuffin / Blade of Poseidon / Mentor: Oceana / Half-Atlantean warrior
EpicEclipse / Blitz / Mentor: Hand of Glory / Mobile artillery blaster
Hawk / Devil Dog / Mentor: Mr. October / Genetic jackpot Crime-fighter
Hero4Hire / Yeoman / Mentor: Castellan / Arthurian mystic-empowered warrior
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Syncretik wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:19 pm
Hero4hire wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:50 pm Powers
Boons of the Fisher King
Alt1 Carnwennan; Shadow Knife of Arthur: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Affects Others, Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.)
Alt2 Coreiseuse; Wrathful Sword of King Ban: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 22, Advantages: Improved Critical, Improved Smash, Weapon Break; Penetrating 7; Inaccurate: -2)
Alt3 Fail-not; Infallible Bow of Tristan: Damage 4 (DC 19; Affects Insubstantial: half ranks, Increased Range 2: perception, Precise)
Alt4 Healing of the Sangreal: Healing 7
. . Invulnerability of the Green Knight: Protection 7 (+7 Toughness, Advantages: Ultimate Effort: Toughness; Impervious [4 extra ranks], Subtle 2: undetectable; Distracting)
Alt5 Lady of the Lake's Ring of Dispell: Nullify 7 (Counters: Magic, DC 17; Broad)
Alt5 Shield of Evalach: Deflect 7 (Reflect)
Alt6 Skein of Thread
. . . . Snare: Cumulative Affliction 5 (1st degree: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless and Immobilized, Resisted by: Dodge, Overcome by Damage, DC 15; Accurate: +2, Cumulative, Extra Condition, Precise; Limited Degree)
. . . . Swingline: Movement 1 (Swinging)
Alt7 Strength of Gawaine: Enhanced Strength 5 (+5 STR, Advantages: Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ultimate Effort: Strength Check)
Alt8 Stride of Llamrei
. . . . Running Speed: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round, Advantages: Great Endurance)
. . . . Unfaltering step: Movement 3 (Dimensional: Fey Realm 1: one dimension, 50 lbs., Sure-footed 2)
. . . . Vaulting: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour).
8 AE widely varied AEs: pushing things a bit, maybe?
I suppose that would be up to Horsenhero? If he deems it so I will happily work with him to make changes he would like. Myself I do not see anything particularly game-breaking, and was going for an Ultra-Boy meets Shazam thing with the info I had from Castellan I as a guide. The varying effects all follow a tight theme of Arthurian "Powers".

Thank you for sharing your opinion, however.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

He definitely hits that Ultra-Boy note. Would also add spell-casters will often have a similarly large array with also seemingly wildly varied powers linked that they are all spells. I don't see this as too different.

Like H4H said, ultimately up to Horsenhero, but I just wanted to add my input on it as well.

(Also, regarding using a sword with Strength of Gawain, I recall reading somewhere equipment with a rank less than the strength of the person wielding it would break. Devices are a different sack of fish, but your sword is just equipment yeah? So that's moot. Either way, he seems unlikely to want to break his sword)
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:20 pm He definitely hits that Ultra-Boy note. Would also add spell-casters will often have a similarly large array with also seemingly wildly varied powers linked that they are all spells. I don't see this as too different.

Like H4H said, ultimately up to Horsenhero, but I just wanted to add my input on it as well.

(Also, regarding using a sword with Strength of Gawain, I recall reading somewhere equipment with a rank less than the strength of the person wielding it would break. Devices are a different sack of fish, but your sword is just equipment yeah? So that's moot. Either way, he seems unlikely to want to break his sword)
I recall that rule from past editions. But was unsure about it making it into 3e. Plus I wanted full disclosure. :)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

One thing I did notice though;

Yeoman's stamina is 4, I'm guessing the chainmail adds 3 (without looking in the book since it's standard equipment on the list there), but when he uses his Invulnerability array option, it's got Protection 7. I've heard arguement about protection superceding any toughness bonuses from equipment and that's neither here nor there I suppose, but Protection does stack with Stamina at least, so wouldn't that push his toughness well past the cap? Or were you trying to do something else here?
Syncretik

Post by Syncretik »

Hero4hire wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:09 pm I suppose that would be up to Horsenhero? If he deems it so I will happily work with him to make changes he would like. Myself I do not see anything particularly game-breaking, and was going for an Ultra-Boy meets Shazam thing with the info I had from Castellan I as a guide. The varying effects all follow a tight theme of Arthurian "Powers".

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:20 pm He definitely hits that Ultra-Boy note. Would also add spell-casters will often have a similarly large array with also seemingly wildly varied powers linked that they are all spells. I don't see this as too different.

Certainly this is just personal opinion, it just seemed a bit crazy to me, what with Healing, Deflect, Nullify, Concealment, and a variety of offensive powers. Still, I'll be putting up the crunch on my mage in a minute, and then we can all decide whether or not I'm a hypocrite :P
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

N'SeKt
PL:7 PP:120
Name:Tobin Grimes
Mentor: Bestiary(Daniel T'Kona)
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 156lbs
Abilities 34
Strength 4, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Khrysalid
In the middle of Tobin's chest is the Khrysallid. The Khrysallid is a glowing chink of amber the shape of an insect chrysalis about the size of softball. This has bonded with his body and has sent out veins of glowing amber across his torso. When Tobin taps into the Khrysallid, it rapidly forms layers of chitin across his body for myriad of uses...everything from protective layers and natural weaponry to even wings for flight. The chitin also covers Tobin's features, hiding his identity. Whether this is natural or in response to Tobin's want of anonymity has yet to be determined. The Khrysallid will also disguise it's own presence of Tobin through camouflage. When viewed in it's inactive state, it will appear to be some sort of tribal markings, which Tobin plays off as something he got off camera while filming Myth Hunters.
Exomorphic Carapace[Protection 5]
Stingers/Pinchers[Damage 3 with Variable Descriptor/Close Group: Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning]
Skittering[Leap 2, Movement 2: Wall Crawling 2, Speed 2]
Flittering [Flight 4: Winged]
---AE:Burrowing 4
---AE:Speed 4
Antennae[Senses 6: Acute, Analytical Olfactory. Acute Ranged Tactile. Tracking: Olfactory. Ultra Hearing]

Advantages 18
Agile Feint, Beginners Luck, Benefit 1: Famous, Benefit 2: Independently Wealthy, Close Attack 5, Fearless, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages 4(Base English: French, German, Spanish, Ukrainian, Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian, Portuguese ), Move-By Action, Well Informed

Skills 18
Acrobatics 6(10 ), Athletics 6(10), Expertise: Mythology 6(7), Investigation 6(7), Perception 6(7), Stealth 6(10)

Offense
Initiative +4
Stingers/Pinchers +7 DC22

Defenses 18
Dodge 7, Parry 7
Toughness 7
Fortitude 6
Will 6

Abilities 34+ Powers 29+ Advantages 18+ Skills 18+ Defenses 18 =117

Complications
Paparazzi: Tobin's face is still a household item. His life has been documented from the time he was six...always in some sort of exotic, foreign location. So much so, that Tobin has forgotten that this is not a normal thing.
Last of the Hunters: Tobin is he last member of the Grimes family. His family's activities, while televised were not always viewed by others as appropriate or even legal. Throughout their life, the Family Grimes has made a handful of enemies, both private and sometimes even governments. As the last living member, Tobin is now the bearer of those crimes and inheritor to those grudges.
Bug OUT: the Khrysallid imparts insectoid/arthropodic morphic abilities. It also harbors a distinctly inhuman set of instincts within it, This instincts are primal in their needs...Hunger, Anger, protect the Nest...things of these nature. In times of stress, these instincts can push forward and overwhelm T
Myth Hunters...every week for almost a decade, the Family Grimes braves exotic locals to delve into ancient myths, seeking truth behind the legends and stories. Dr. Ulysses Grimes, His wife Mai Lin and their son Tobin would uncover such legends as the First Crown of Atlantis and Kain's Fist, the first murder weapon. Every week for nine years, the world watched as they brought myths into the light and revealed the true history behind the stories.

The tenth season? The tenth season tragedy struck. The story for the tenth season was one that would literally rewrite history itself. The myth of a forerunner civilization...one that predated even the dinosaurs! Deep within the Amazon Jungle was supposed to lie evidence of such a race. No strangers to dangerous locations, the Family Grimes dove into the quest with their typical thirst for the impossible.

However, they were not alone I that...The Hegemony was also looking, except for completely different reasons. As fate would have it, The Grimes did discover something...a temple hidden by an overgrowth of vegetation that had been precedented when compared to all of their other discoveries. Underneath what the jungle tried to hide was a temple built out of an unknown substance...a temple in the shape of a gigantic insect hive. Cutting the way to the center, film crew in tow, Myth Hunters find glowing piece of amber, shaped in the form of a chrysalis cradled in among a nest of vines and growth.

At that same moment, the Hegemony arrives with a contingent of Faithful.

What exactly transpired next has been kept secret. A decision that has the highest levels of power backing it. Rumors have abounded, theories put forth, and outright fables concocted. What is true though is that the only survivor from that last expedition was Tobin Grimes. And that he only survived through the intervening of Bestiary. The Protector had been on the trail of Hegemony in the hopes that he could stop whatever they had planned on doing.

To Tobin, the attack is all a blur. He remembers the camera crew yelling loudly....then he remembers the first sound of guns. His father push Tobin back as he grips a machete, his mother screaming no...then he is tripping, falling onto the glowing amber. The intense warmth and eerie buzzing coming from it. Then a new sound...a sound of fallen leaves rustling in the wind...a hundred thousand different vibrations...new screams. The rest is even blurrier...

It has been a year now since the world lost the Myth Hunters. Tobin has resurfaced in Ravensport, seeking some anonymity and a chance to heal. A chance to forget. His eyes house a haunted look and his shoulders seem to carry a new weight. With a new guardian, Daniel T'Kona, Tobin has come to Ravensport to learn and to live the life he never had a chance at...Normalcy.

Here is the basic build...comments and suggestions appreciated.
Last edited by Shadowbourne on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:55 am, edited 11 times in total.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Syncretik wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 pm
Hero4hire wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:09 pm I suppose that would be up to Horsenhero? If he deems it so I will happily work with him to make changes he would like. Myself I do not see anything particularly game-breaking, and was going for an Ultra-Boy meets Shazam thing with the info I had from Castellan I as a guide. The varying effects all follow a tight theme of Arthurian "Powers".

Certainly this is just personal opinion, it just seemed a bit crazy to me, what with Healing, Deflect, Nullify, Concealment, and a variety of offensive powers. Still, I'll be putting up the crunch on my mage in a minute, and then we can all decide whether or not I'm a hypocrite :P
Taking a look at the original Castellan. While I don't have access to his sheet, he has a lot of powers. I can just go with his patrons/power-set, but was going different "patrons" just for the sheer joy of the research and not just be a carbon copy.

He certainly is a swiss army knife of powers though!
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Shadowbourne wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:57 pm N'SeKt
[

Here is the basic build...comments and suggestions appreciated.
He seems to be PL 8 when the campaign is PL 7/120pp
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 pm One thing I did notice though;

Yeoman's stamina is 4, I'm guessing the chainmail adds 3 (without looking in the book since it's standard equipment on the list there), but when he uses his Invulnerability array option, it's got Protection 7. I've heard arguement about protection superceding any toughness bonuses from equipment and that's neither here nor there I suppose, but Protection does stack with Stamina at least, so wouldn't that push his toughness well past the cap? Or were you trying to do something else here?
I was pretty sure Protection from equipment does not stack? See notes as to the Trade-offs.

Edit: Looked it up

BONUS STACKING
Equipment bonuses are limited compared to the bonuses
granted by other effects. Generally, they do not stack with
each other or other types of bonuses, only the highest
bonus applies. Thus a hero with a high Protection bonus
doesn’t get much, if any, advantage from wearing a bulletproof
vest. The only exception to this is Strength-based
weapons, and there are limits on them as well (see Melee
Weapons, later in this chapter).
Last edited by Hero4hire on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Hero4hire wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:08 pm

I was pretty sure Protection from equipment does not stack? See notes as to the Trade-offs.
I think I missed part of the build notes while half asleep. Also looked up Beetle 3 for the precedent because I'd never seen Distracting used that way before, but it appears to check out just fine. :D *scribbles note for later use regarding distracting*
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:18 pm
Hero4hire wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:08 pm

I think I missed part of the build notes while half asleep. Also looked up Beetle 3 for the precedent because I'd never seen Distracting used that way before, but it appears to check out just fine. :D *scribbles note for later use regarding distracting*
Technically it isn't terribly cost efficient? Losing 8pp in Defenses for a savings of 4pp. But I think it fits the concept. So I went with it.
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

He seems to be PL 8 when the campaign is PL 7/120pp
D'oh!...

That is why one should always ask for suggestions. Thanks H4H!
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

Fixed PL Issue...