M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Horsenhero

Re: M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

Post by Horsenhero »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 pm
StarGuard wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 pm
pathfinderq1 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:39 pm So Rose's first plan (to go undercover as the villains' new sidekick Ice Ice Baby) has been foiled by the Check Required on her Instant Change (two rolls failed, a 3 and an 8)...

Just as well I'm guessing as it would seem posing as an ice villain sidekick might have been a stretch for her.

>Logical planning is not her strong suit- it was just a passing fancy...
On the plus side, I think she has a new RP quirk- only uses own teleportation. She will stunt an AE for her own teleport to do an Extended only version, once she knows how far away they are, and use an HP to counter the fatigue. She intends to 'land' someplace where she can be hidden from the bad guys, using Hide in Plain Sight and a 20+6= 26 Stealth check.
I'm curious as to your thoughts on why the sudden quirk and what caused it to develop? Could she not improve on her own teleport as the characters grow but not have the quirk?
In character, read Kraken by China Mieville to see to danger of Star Trek style teleportation- Rose would rather stick with what she knows; as someone who has been teleporting as long as she has, she knows the dangers of an unfamiliar method. From a more meta perspective, think of it as niche protection- when you can only really do one thing, you want to do that thing (even if somebody else can do it "better" as part of the broad power selection toolbox).

Anyway, with the monitors showing the scene she doesn't need Accurate, so she can definitely stunt a personal extended teleport that should have good enough range.
Well I'm not 100% against the quirk, but I would encourage people to strongly consider whether a particular complication might turn out to be more trouble than it's worth when it comes to team activity. Almost all complications will turn out to be HP generators at some point, but that's not always worth it.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Do you need a roll from me for using the HQ equipment to set up a swamp monster tracking thing?
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:26 am Do you need a roll from me for using the HQ equipment to set up a swamp monster tracking thing?
Normally the HQ isn't set up for this. It's got communications, which can get feeds from areas with cameras or the like in place (as long as they go over a network feed and don't simply record to memory), but it doesn't have an independent sensor system for a place as remote as Beecher's Stand...so, a Technology roll to allow the HQ to tap into surveillance satellites will be necessary.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Horsenhero wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:01 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:26 am Do you need a roll from me for using the HQ equipment to set up a swamp monster tracking thing?
Normally the HQ isn't set up for this. It's got communications, which can get feeds from areas with cameras or the like in place (as long as they go over a network feed and don't simply record to memory), but it doesn't have an independent sensor system for a place as remote as Beecher's Stand...so, a Technology roll to allow the HQ to tap into surveillance satellites will be necessary.
Technology: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21

Lucky roll there. If it's good enough, Emily probably fluked into it more than anything. Either way, she mostly just doesn't actually want to trudge around a swamp xD
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 am
Horsenhero wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:01 am
Technology: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21

Lucky roll there. If it's good enough, Emily probably fluked into it more than anything. Either way, she mostly just doesn't actually want to trudge around a swamp xD
Well, it won't be flawless, after all you're looking for something you have no idea what it looks like or is made of. This will allow for some perception checks where none might be available before...so...good idea. Nice roll.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 pmIn character, read Kraken by China Mieville to see to danger of Star Trek style teleportation- Rose would rather stick with what she knows; as someone who has been teleporting as long as she has, she knows the dangers of an unfamiliar method. From a more meta perspective, think of it as niche protection- when you can only really do one thing, you want to do that thing (even if somebody else can do it "better" as part of the broad power selection toolbox).
I am just curious pathfinder, are you concerned I am trumping your abilities? From my understanding, Presto is a combatative, short range teleporter ... when I made Verdejo, I was interested in playing someone whose powers were both, changing his underlying humanity, and presented a danger to him and the environment requiring them to be kept under control. My inspiration being John Osterman's transformation into Dr. Manhatten, struggling to keep a hold of his fleeting humanity.

The idea of a long distance teleport appealed to me, and was not covered by any of the builds presented except for Warlock. So I included it in my build, however, I certainly wasn't trying to step on anyone's niche. :/
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Okay, so this is one of the things I dislike about the online gaming experience- this is the sort of thing that could be sorted out around a table with a minute of talking, but online it tends to spiral. My goodness, all this tumult over an informal quirk, not even a full-blown Complication.

I am fine with Vulcan's powers being what they are. Heck, it even frees Rose from improving her mass teleport slot, which wasn't really optimized for group travel anyway (but it lets her 'throw' cars, which is kind of fun). Like I said, I just want to ride my own one trick pony when the situation allows.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Yeah, online communication is really open to interpretation, I just wanted to make sure you were comfortable with Vulcan's teleport and didn't feel like I was attempting to crowd in on your niche.

Either way, I tend to err on the side of caution. Good to know!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Okay, so are we retconning that we went back to the school to get a boat to find a swamp monster before the party later tonight? It feels like we (New Chapel) are stalled.
"Something pithy this way comes."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Okay so maybe Rakshasa is more Kon-El than Kaldur'ahm than I'd care to admit. I'll have to work on it ;)

All Rakshasa ideas are just suggestions of course. Despite my first love (war gaming) my M&M tactics are average at best.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm Okay, so are we retconning that we went back to the school to get a boat to find a swamp monster before the party later tonight? It feels like we (New Chapel) are stalled.
Based on what Horsen said, Emily couldn't set the computers to scan in such a way they could just not go to the swamp unless something came up. It can assist us in searching, but it cant do all the work for us basically. So we would have ended up going to gey a boat unless we opted to skip it for the night ans just go to the party (which emily would have voted for)
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Halloween was busy...

...everyone award yourselves 1 HP for the GM being occupied elsewhere all day.

>New Chapel...sorry, I thought your plan was to return to campus and get checked out on the air boat, but if you want to hold off until after the party...that's fine with me.

**It should be noted you only have one victim you know of and one guy who believes it might be a swamp monster. It isn't like there's a rampaging beast out there doing it's best imitation of a Scyfy channel movie monster**

>Ravensport...I'll get to the smackdown with the Ice Agents promptly. Halloween activities derailed my planned combat activities.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Yes, but what would make for a better story/adventure? A bunch of teen heroes (eager to prove themselves to their betters) waiting for hours until the party or them at least checking out the site of the last attack?

We could make this a story about Johnny, annoyed with all the computer stuff, goes off on his own, maybe talking D'an into going with him. If he finds something Ronan can teleport and Emily has incredibly fast flight if he doesn't then maybe he looks foolish.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

my thinking was we get the scanning stuff set up, go to the party, get into some shinanigans there only to have to extricate ourselves and get to the swamp.

In my opinion, considering it was Johnny's idea to go to the party in the first place, it makes less sense for him to opt out of the party in favor of a swamp, so pushing for the swamp over the party seems like a 180 for him.

Either way, I think you underestimate the amount of trouble the group can get into to make for an interesting story at a party populated by teenagers. As for the "waiting for hours" part, narrative time passing is an option as we make plans for the swamp and get dressed for the party and actually go. We dont need to rp out all the hours in between. :P
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

It’s midday right now. The party isn’t til tonight. No contradiction. No 180.

I’ve tried telling 16 year olds to wait. Doesn’t work well.

I’ll go with group cohesion though.

Johnny can just get distracted by video games and realize there’s not enough time before the party.