New Vindicators Academy of Europe (OOC - Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Michuru

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe (OOC - Full)

Post by Michuru »

It's one of the things that influenced my decision with regards to how Oscar acted. One, he is very inexperienced. The same holds for his paramour. Like HH pointed out, as nobility, he would get some degree of training. Think of the pilot episode of Game of Thrones, with the Stark boys learning to shoot. Oscar would have undergone something similar, though not as intensive as his ritter. That's the primary reason why Oscar has so little invested in combat: he's never seen combat. Even in his time with the Armada, he hasn't had to actually fight for his life.

What Oscar does have, however, is a lot of ranks in impervious. Nothing has ever hurt Oscar. As far as he knows, he's invincible. Oscar charging headlong into danger fits, because for Oscar, there is no danger. He's been living among the Armada for over a year, and from his perspective, his enemies powers were: making swords that can't hurt him, augmented strength and regeneration, avoiding attacks, binding someone in silk ropes. To Oscar, none of them could hurt him, but they could hurt someone else: Fach.

Oscar is, deep down, a good person. Back home, he was going to be married off to a woman he didn't love, while the man he loved was forced to marry his sister. He wanted to be with the man he loved. A plan was formed, and Oscar's crime is going along with it. Oscar was party to a plot to commit regicide. Oscar was going to kill his parents and his sister for this. That's pretty heavy, and far off from what he really wanted. Then, he ends up with the Armada, and now he's going along with the destruction of multiple dimensions. He'd become a monster and then he meets Fach. Fach talks him down and shows him how far he's come. She effectively wakes him up to what he's done. Oscar is facing that he's a monster--complicit in so many crimes. Oscar is ridden with guilt and determined to atone. So, when one of their number is quickly taken down (Gaspar), he's determined not to let anything more happen to them--especially Fach. Again, Oscar's perspective is that he's invincible... so what are these people going to really do?

Sure, the thing that makes the most sense is for him to begin using magnetic control to grab the swords as Cleave can make them, but that still leaves two others who could do something to Fach. For Oscar, this was about tying them up--distracting them with him so that no one reaches the rest.
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Yeah that explains it way better than how I said it.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

If he was a PC he'd have survived that. It would have been part of his "heroes' journey". Unfortunately, as an NPC, the tragedy of his death is a part of a different heroes' "heroes' journey". He really should have checked his character sheet to know where he falls in the cosmic order of things. :ugeek:
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Horsenhero wrote:He fought well enough when we met him the first time. Not to mention, in feudal governments most "knights" are expected to be battlefield proficient. It's a relatively modern convention that people get knighted for stuff that doesn't involve doing grievous harm to other people.
Yeah, most Knights were, to my knowledge, warriors who'd managed to do something of note. They'd be granted land to control and cultivate with the understanding that they owed taxes to the King and that they'd need to create and maintain a fighting force that could be called upon by the King in times of need.

It allowed the king to have a huge army without having to having to maintain and fund a standing army.

The other nobility were a little hit or miss from a martial standpoint from what I understand. They still had to maintain taxes and a fighting force, but it was a good possibility that they'd be less trained in combat or even if trained less experienced in true life or death combat.
Your Dukes, Earles and what have you.
I believe it was possible to buy a noble title in some places. After all, the kingdom always needs more money.

And I believe Oscar was pretty high ranking, he was next in line for the throne.

Admittedly my knowledge of nobility is basically along the lines of "Good enough to play D&D" so don't quote me on any history exams. ;~)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Horsenhero wrote:If he was a PC he'd have survived that. It would have been part of his "heroes' journey". Unfortunately, as an NPC, the tragedy of his death is a part of a different heroes' "heroes' journey". He really should have checked his character sheet to know where he falls in the cosmic order of things. :ugeek:
I kind of regret his passing because there was a lot of interesting potential there.
Imagine him having a big epiphany about what he'd done, having to sort out a relationship with somebody he loved who may or may not have been after him for power instead of love, and then an adventure trying to convince the sister he tried to murder that he'd turned over a new leaf and deserved a second chance.

Maybe a battle including Oscar leading the remaining ritters in to face off against some force bent on destroying his family as a way of penance.

... And now I'm off to check my character sheet to check where I fall in the cosmic order of things. ;~)

Hey, who wrote "whipping boy" on here?!
Shock

Post by Shock »

My dad's having a health crisis right now and it's probably going to impact my posting ability at some point. If I disappear for a few days, that's why.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Sorry to hear that, Shock.
Hopefully he's feeling better soon.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

That sucks man. I hope everything turns out okay.
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Sorry to hear that Shock, hopefully things turn for the better soon.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

Arkrite wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:If he was a PC he'd have survived that. It would have been part of his "heroes' journey". Unfortunately, as an NPC, the tragedy of his death is a part of a different heroes' "heroes' journey". He really should have checked his character sheet to know where he falls in the cosmic order of things. :ugeek:
I kind of regret his passing because there was a lot of interesting potential there.
Imagine him having a big epiphany about what he'd done, having to sort out a relationship with somebody he loved who may or may not have been after him for power instead of love, and then an adventure trying to convince the sister he tried to murder that he'd turned over a new leaf and deserved a second chance.

Maybe a battle including Oscar leading the remaining ritters in to face off against some force bent on destroying his family as a way of penance.

... And now I'm off to check my character sheet to check where I fall in the cosmic order of things. ;~)

Hey, who wrote "whipping boy" on here?!
That would have been an amazing story to tell with him. Unfortunately, it would have also required me sending people back to Oubliette-1,127 faster than I'm intending. There's an adventure planned there, but it's a bit further off. Oscar's remaining at the school would have created numerous problems. Despite his inexperience and lack of finesse, he's a powerhouse who changes a lot. Essentially, problems would cease to be problems, purely because he exists. Further, the longer he's around, the more he'd change. Think about it: someone with his power, wanting to make a difference? He's obviously joining the Volunteers to try and do some good. It has some plot potential for HH. I mean, Oscar is in love with Kas. If the Herzog doesn't switch sides, too... then there's conflict with Kas and Oscar, as Oscar would have feelings for Kas. "I get that you're not the man I fell in love with, but you look just like him. Maybe it's not fair to transfer that onto you, but I can't help but do it. My affection for him is not something I can turn on and off." Stuff like that.

From there, a couple of things can happen: Kas might actually start to like Oscar, and then Oscar might not even want to go home. Or, as he pines for Kas, Oscar starts to get to know some of the others. Juozas is slowly coming to terms with his homosexuality; Lexus is someone who loved and lost, and would get Oscar. Plus, Lexus was in Laputa: he gets what it means to want to redeem yourself. Either Juozas or Lexus could work as someone else he could fall for. Honestly, Lexus and Oscar is something I probably would have liked to work with. Again, though... having Oscar around means problems for the baddies. For instance, I have intentions to have the Mileau--the French mafia--become more of a problem for everyone. They are essentially mooks with guns and an illusionist. Oscar's magnetism renders all but the Esper pointless.
Shock wrote:My dad's having a health crisis right now and it's probably going to impact my posting ability at some point. If I disappear for a few days, that's why.
I'm sorry to hear that, man. I hope everything works itself out for you and your family.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Shock wrote:My dad's having a health crisis right now and it's probably going to impact my posting ability at some point. If I disappear for a few days, that's why.
May things get better.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Michuru wrote:For instance, I have intentions to have the Mileau--the French mafia--become more of a problem for everyone. They are essentially mooks with guns and an illusionist. Oscar's magnetism renders all but the Esper pointless.
Yeah, that's Dennis' job! :P
Games
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

EnigmaticOne wrote:
Michuru wrote:For instance, I have intentions to have the Mileau--the French mafia--become more of a problem for everyone. They are essentially mooks with guns and an illusionist. Oscar's magnetism renders all but the Esper pointless.
Honestly, Dennis will end up doing the inverse. I mean, Illusion vs. Illusion. Either both of us render everyone else's teams pointless, or we just sit and counter each other's illusions while the others beat on each other. :-p
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Michuru wrote:
EnigmaticOne wrote:
Honestly, Dennis will end up doing the inverse. I mean, Illusion vs. Illusion. Either both of us render everyone else's teams pointless, or we just sit and counter each other's illusions while the others beat on each other. :-p
Except you said 'mooks with guns' so just the Milleu gets rendered pointless.
Games
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Sorry to hear about your Dad Shock, my thoughts are with you.