So, You Want To Save The World, Do You? (OOC, closed recruiting until 27th)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shadowbourne

Re: So, You Want To Save The World, Do You? (M&M3e, OOC, recruiting)

Post by Shadowbourne »

I have a concept or two I could float here...
Thokk_Smash

Post by Thokk_Smash »

Miracle wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:29 pmAbout Secondary effect only having 8 ranks, does that mean if you use 9-12 ranks, it won't happen?
I couldn't tell if this had been answered, but: if the Secondary Effect is only 8 ranks, then it only counts 8 ranks for the Secondary Effect effect--so a Rank 12 Affliction would become Rank 8 for the Secondary Effect. The Dodge save for half-effect would probably reduce it by the normal 6, not half of the Secondary Effect rank.

Edit: At least, that's how it's been done in games I've played in.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Picture by In-Hyuk Lee.

ANDY WARHOL THE DESTROYER, PL 12

Strength 4/10, Stamina 12, Dexterity 2, Agility 6, Fighting 12, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 2
* 84 points

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Interpose, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge * 10 points

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+14), Intimidation 20 (+22), Perception 8 (+11), Ranged Combat: Ki 5 (+7), Stealth 4 (+10), Technology 5 (+6) * 24 points

Powers:
Afterimages - Partial Concealment vs all visual senses * 4 points

Flight 10, 1 Alternate Effect * 21 points
Speed 10, Quickness 10

Ki Techniques - 21 point array, 5 Alternate Effects * 26 points
Physical Augmentation - Enhanced Strength 6, Multiattack 10, Quirk: cannot use Covering Fire
Defensive Field - Immunity 20 (broad descriptor: energy, Limited to half effect), Impervious Toughness 11
Casual Blast - Ranged Damage 7, Accurate 5, Improved Critical 2
Sustained Barrage - Ranged Multiattack Damage 7, Distracting, Improved Critical 2
Full Power Blast - Ranged Damage 17, Distracting, Improved Critical 4
Destruction Wave - Damage 12 (Cone Area 2, Distracting, Tiring; Cone Area 3 on 9 ranks)

Force field projector and scanner - 20 pp, Removable * 16 points
Immunity 9: Critical hits, suffocation, all environmental conditions
Senses 3 - Darkvision, Extended Vision
Senses 5 - Detect life energy/"fighting power", Ranged, Acute, Extended 2
Senses 4 - Sight penetrates concealment, distracting
Ultimate Effort: Toughness saves

Offense:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +14 (Multiattack Damage 10)
Casual Blast +17 (Ranged Damage 7, crit. 18-20)
Sustained Barrage +17 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 7, crit. 18-20)
Full Power Blast +7 (Ranged Damage 17, crit. 16-20)

Defense:
Dodge +12, Parry +12, Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +12 * 15 points

Complications:
Collateral Damage - Andy can be tremendously destructive. Fortunately, he knows it, and generally tries to avoid using his biggest blasts in populated areas.
I Am The Hype - Andy firmly believes that he is the greatest warrior in the universe, and he continues to believe so in the face of all evidence to the contrary. He will confidently trash-talk people moments away from handing him his ass, and being defeated will dampen his self-confidence for, at best, a short period of time before he convinces himself he was tricked or cheated somehow.
Funny-Looking - Andy has bright red skin, long white hair, and horns. He also likes to wear cowboy hats.
Not From Around Here - Andy was a stranger to the earth in his own universe, let alone other universes.

Total: Abilities 84 + Advantages 10 + Skills 24 + Powers 67 + Defenses 15 = 200 points

Ann Duerhaal is part of the elite warrior caste of an alien race that acts as cosmic security forces and police. His warrior caste is very competitive, and when the Cosmic Coil gave him the opportunity to face challenges from other universes, he jumped at the chance to win fame and glory for himself that his fellow fighters could only dream of. He has occasionally been to planet earth, or at least an earth, and he was shocked to find that on earth Ann is not considered a masculine name. He also learned, however, that the name Ann Duerhaal sounds a lot like a celebrity named "Andy Warhol," and after making sure that Andy Warhol was an important and famous person, he started using that as his name around humans.
Last edited by RainOnTheSun on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I Am The Hype - Andy firmly believes that he is the greatest warrior in the universe, and he continues to believe so in the face of all evidence to the contrary. He will confidently trash-talk people moments away from handing him his ass, and being defeated will dampen his self-confidence for, at best, a short period of time before he convinces himself he was tricked or cheated somehow.
So he's DBZA Vegita then? :P

Unfortunate for me as I was planning a character with a similar personality trope lol.
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

You mentioned...Villains? That could be an interesting twist...
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Okay, for anyone who thought they saw a post from me earlier, you Did, but I took it down to put a bit more thought into the concept, reviewing the powers needed and such.

So what I am proposing is a technopathic engineer, a little bit Tony Stark, a little bit Metroman(from Megamind) in personality, so the super smart superstar personality. As mentioned, he is a technopath and has a natural, inherent understanding of any technology he encounters (he doesn't control it with his powers like Royal Pain from Sky High who also claims to be a technopath, but that would be closer to technokinesis)

His primary means of combat is a mech, rather than simple Ironman style power armor. But mechs are huge, what about those small spaces? Glad you asked. He utilizes a highly sophisticated portal transport system linked to his ship where his mecha can fire weapons or even punch things through, giving his access to his tech's weapon systems even in smaller battlefields where his full mecha can't cut loose.

I also mentioned a ship, yes. He comes equipped with a headquarters sized space-worthy ship which can function as team transportation.

And lastly, he does carry a few personal devices for protection, a personal mecha-grade force field built into his mecha neural link frame (which allows him to control his mech externally via his own movements and a virtual holo-cockpit control array)

The big question I really have with him, is how the Cosmic Coil would be about transporting his ship, AND if it would be alright that perhaps he developed some of their portal tech, using a similar system himself, but for not quite so long range.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:03 am
So he's DBZA Vegita then? :P

Unfortunate for me as I was planning a character with a similar personality trope lol.
Plenty of people can think they're the world's greatest ______! They just have to be a different _____, that's all. I suppose I could also try to resubmit Peacekeeper, since she's also from an alternate universe, but she's about as far from "world's greatest hero" as she can get.

(And yeah, if Andy gets in there'll be a fair amount of DBZA in him. It's seriously the most likable Dragonball has ever been for me.)
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Shadowbourne wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:13 am You mentioned...Villains? That could be an interesting twist...
Yeah, I didn't think anyone would submit one, since the group is going to be composed of heroes. Do remember the overall fun tone. I'm not saying you have to make Doofenshmirtz, but don't expect to bring Killgore Bloodbath either.

Cosmic Coil is neutral in their selection. Heroes and villains have their funks now and then. Then again, super powerful villains rarely get bored of being at the top. Don't they?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Great, now I wanna see someone actually play Doofensmirtz.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 am Image

Picture by In-Hyuk Lee.

ANDY WARHOL THE DESTROYER, PL 12
I'm not sure I'm cool with Defensive Shield's build. Half Effect Immunity plus Impervious seems a little like having your cake and eating it too. Maybe make the Impervious one sided also? Like Impervious limited to either physical or energy.

Other than that, it's pretty well build and definitely fits the game's tone. I have prompts bubbling up in my brain now :D
Last edited by Miracle on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:25 am Great, now I wanna see someone actually play Doofensmirtz.
Watchout for the world full of anthropomorphic platypi!
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Miracle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:27 am
I'm not sure I'm cool with Defensive Shield's build. Half Effect Immunity plus Impervious seems a little like having your cake and eating it too. Maybe make the Impervious one sided also? Like Impervious limited to either physical or energy.

Other than that, it's pretty well build and definitely fits the game's tone. I have prompts bubbling up in my brain now :D
If I understand it right, you can't buy more ranks in Impervious than you actually have in Toughness, so if I put a limit on it, I'd have some points left to spend on something else. Maybe Subtle. I could just take the half effect limit off of the energy immunity, too, but I don't want him to be completely immune... any other ideas for it?

For what it's worth, I imagine that a lot of the time when people like Andy fight each other, one of them eventually gets goaded or tricked into firing off a huge Distracting blast with All-Out Attack and Power Attack, along with maybe some Extra Effort, as frequently happens in Dragonball Z. And the other person puts up their defensive shield and just tanks it. And then the first dude is at a huge tactical disadvantage and also demoralized, and quickly gets their ass kicked. I'm trying to make him feel as much like a Dragonball character as I can in a system that doesn't allow gigantic area attacks very easily.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 am Okay, for anyone who thought they saw a post from me earlier, you Did, but I took it down to put a bit more thought into the concept, reviewing the powers needed and such.

So what I am proposing is a technopathic engineer, a little bit Tony Stark, a little bit Metroman(from Megamind) in personality, so the super smart superstar personality. As mentioned, he is a technopath and has a natural, inherent understanding of any technology he encounters (he doesn't control it with his powers like Royal Pain from Sky High who also claims to be a technopath, but that would be closer to technokinesis)

His primary means of combat is a mech, rather than simple Ironman style power armor. But mechs are huge, what about those small spaces? Glad you asked. He utilizes a highly sophisticated portal transport system linked to his ship where his mecha can fire weapons or even punch things through, giving his access to his tech's weapon systems even in smaller battlefields where his full mecha can't cut loose.

I also mentioned a ship, yes. He comes equipped with a headquarters sized space-worthy ship which can function as team transportation.

And lastly, he does carry a few personal devices for protection, a personal mecha-grade force field built into his mecha neural link frame (which allows him to control his mech externally via his own movements and a virtual holo-cockpit control array)

The big question I really have with him, is how the Cosmic Coil would be about transporting his ship, AND if it would be alright that perhaps he developed some of their portal tech, using a similar system himself, but for not quite so long range.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you doing the 'i'm gonna stay in the ship and send down the drones to do my work' thing? I'm not saying a super powerful gadgeteer wouldn't be able to do that. Though it limits options.

I'm not trying to sound mean, I do like the character all except that part of it. Then again, maybe i'm misinterpreting it!
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 am
Miracle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:27 am

If I understand it right, you can't buy more ranks in Impervious than you actually have in Toughness, so if I put a limit on it, I'd have some points left to spend on something else. Maybe Subtle. I could just take the half effect limit off of the energy immunity, too, but I don't want him to be completely immune... any other ideas for it?

For what it's worth, I imagine that a lot of the time when people like Andy fight each other, one of them eventually gets goaded or tricked into firing off a huge Distracting blast with All-Out Attack and Power Attack, along with maybe some Extra Effort, as frequently happens in Dragonball Z. And the other person puts up their defensive shield and just tanks it. And then the first dude is at a huge tactical disadvantage and also demoralized, and quickly gets their ass kicked. I'm trying to make him feel as much like a Dragonball character as I can in a system that doesn't allow gigantic area attacks very easily.
Alright, I misremembered Impervious. I could have sworn it was "Impervious negated damage equal to rank", but apparently it limited to half. So Impervious 11 would make you immune to 5 damage. Which at this level is kind of chump change. And yeah, you can only take Impervious up to your Toughness score. You could take up to 12 Impervious Toughness (as your Toughness is 12) and be immune to 6 damage and lower.

So yeah, you're good!
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Miracle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:18 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you doing the 'i'm gonna stay in the ship and send down the drones to do my work' thing? I'm not saying a super powerful gadgeteer wouldn't be able to do that. Though it limits options.

I'm not trying to sound mean, I do like the character all except that part of it. Then again, maybe i'm misinterpreting it!
Consider yourself corrected then. That was never even close to part of the intention. He's as far removed from the action as Tony Stark is when Ironman's around ;)

The idea is that he himself goes around with the team, and he opens a portal at his location for his mech to shoot through, or punch through, or flick some sorry bastard with a giant mecha finger.

And while I do mention portals, it's very limited. He can open portals from his location to his ship only. Good for egress, bad for just about everything else.

The overall image I want to pull across with this guy is he's got the big gun as his beck and call. If they're outside and in range of his ship, he'll fire his ships guns at some poor guy. Or open a portal and his mecha will punch the enemy or shoot a laser through. And if they are fighting something bigger or large forces, he'll call out his mech and pilot it manually.

Hopefully that alleviates the concern. He's very hands on and present for the action.