Eldritch City (3E MM)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Re: Eldritch City (Recruiting, 3E MM)

Post by Spectrum »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 am So how much of the setting do you have defined, and how much can we define as part of our backgrounds? Does it have a zoo, a good library system, useful public transit?

Is Eldritch City a major city (Chicago/New York/LA), or a smaller city (Hartford/Indianapolis/Sacramento)? And mostly for weather/climate, approximately where is it (East coast/midwest/west coast/etc.)?
Hopefully answered most of these questions over in the character thread. Please let me know if you have more so that I can think in the right directions. :)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:14 pm
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 pmAreas of Campaign Interest: Intrigue, Action, Romance, Exploration and Military. I'm going to throw clarify Exploration for this game to Mysteries and Military to Supernatural. Each player can spend 100 pts among those categories to show where their interest lies.
Intrigue 15, Action 10, Romance 5, Mysteries 40, Supernatural 30

Noted.
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm Joshua "Binder" Lopez

Comprehend (Spirits) or Comprehend (Spirits) limited to ghosts? 1 rank? 2 ranks so that they can hear you back? If ghosts, does having points in other languages make sense? Limited to English speaking ghosts?
Huh. I could have sworn that was built differently where the first rank was the "you can talk to ghosts and they can talk back" and the second was more or less "and others can hear them through you". Depending on how you define how ghosts work (I think Comprehend was more or less assuming they existed only as background, as with things like Comprehend (Plants)), I could pretty readily do the Comprehend 2 and take off the Senses part where he can see ghosts despite them normally being invisible. As regards languages, I figure he'd be as baffled as anyone else if he encounters a ghost that speaks another language.

What, M&M not having a consistent rulesset? You must be kidding!
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm Contacts/connected with proper limitations to show you have friends in (dead) places?
It's possible. :)
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm Will want to explore how you defined the summon more. I like the idea but it could be tweaked.
Honestly, I'm sort of iffy on the Summon. I took it out in some of my builds. A lot of it depends on whether you see the ghosts as mechanics or individual characters. My Remote Sensing power already handles the "go out and look at this for me" and the "Ghostly Feedback" handles a lot of the supporting role. Arguably, I could just buy an attack and define it as "I ask a nearby ghost to scramble the electronics" or the like. It would probably reduce costs.

Possibly sidekicks/sidekick if you have a few particular ones in mind? Move object/ranged damage? How do you see the role?
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm What is the narrative on see through spirits? Again spirits vs ghosts.
It basically involves the ghost going out, checking things out, and coming back to relay what it's seen. And I'm not entirely certain where you see the distinction between spirits and ghosts.
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm Can you step across or is that in the future?
In the original Freedom City heist game, we were required to have a "secret motivation" that only the GM knew about until it came up. His was that the reason he could see ghosts was due to a near-death experience that was nearer than he made public, to the point where he could shed his mortal form and go ghostly. The one game I got a chance to play him in had that happen when they needed a way to get past some enemies.

Nice.
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm Are you familiar with Wraith the Oblivion? How do you see the world of the dead?
Not really. I played a little bit of Vampire back in the day, but not really the other systems. I had figured that the afterlife is the sort of thing that people, when they move on, are seldom seen again. Ghosts are those who cannot, or won't, move on.
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm How much a criminal is he? Is he taking that direction because its fun or because its easy or doesn't know a different direction at this point?
He's involved in crime because he has med school debts, he can't pursue his chosen profession due to being known as "the crazy psychologist who sees ghosts" and the ghosts disturbing him to try to get him to solve their problems, and because solving ghostly problems isn't nearly as profitable as you might think. It started out as someone asking if he could ask a ghost about something and moved on to him actually directing ghosts to case places. He's been on-site a few times, but he generally tries to avoid being in the thick of the action both for purposes of legality (since most authorities don't believe in ghosts, they really don't have much of a basis to accuse him of being part of the crime, since there's generally no other link between him and the target) and for safety (he doesn't particularly like being shot at).

Honestly, the crime part is partly an artifact of the earlier setting, where everyone was criminals, and partly because I'd read a few books about people who could talk with ghosts (I highly recommend Jim Bernheimer's Dead Eye series, with Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper not being bad either) and their discussions on how, due to the extra-normal aspects of the profession, there wasn't much legal protection from getting outright denied recompense for your finds.

I enjoyed the Odd Thomas movie much more than the first book.
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm Once we work together to define the world of the dead, we can talk about your ghost build.

Odd thought... (original) Ghostbusters really didn't bust ghosts.. lots of demons and other spirits, but very few ghosts.
I dunno... it was about 50/50, and you have to figure that a lot of the ghosts were off-screen because the others were more interesting to show.
Ghosts- spirits of the unquiet dead.
The more I think about it, it's like an odd foreign language translation where English doesn't quite have the same concept but they try to come close.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Zero Prime wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:47 pm Just curious if the thread is still open for recruitment, as I had an idea for a character.

In the vein of In Nomine, I was curious if a Divine Agent would have a place in Eldritch City. I was thinking along the lines of an on-the-take cop, who, in a moment of crisis, gave his life to save his partner from those who had been buying him off. He was then returned to the mortal coil, with an imperative to carry on with the work of the divine.

I have one ability that may be ... difficult, but was curious if we could make it work ...
Blood calls for Blood (Super-Senses 7) (acute, detect: Murderers (Mental) 2 (ranged), extended 2 (-1 per 1k ft), tracking 2 (normal speed); Distracting, Limited (Source: Blood of the Victim))
It seems like a neat power, with Acute it would let me pick out a killer in a crowd of killers, if I had contact with the blood of one of his victims, but I wouldn't necessarily know who it is until I got into visual range. Anyways, just a thought exercise at the moment, but if we're still open for recruitment I can work on a sheet.
The discussion after this idea explained my concerns pretty well.. and offered some nice ways to handle it. Thanks folks!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Heritage367 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 am Darlene's final form!
Still not sure about having telekinesis and telepathy on the same character, but I'm very happy with it overall.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 am
Spectrum wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:08 am Holiday season is upon me and running me a ragged. Will catch up soon!
Holiday season = worse time to kick off a game = plenty of time to construct a character. :p

I should have SOMETHING up tonight
Says it pretty well!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:34 pm Began sketching out history here. Still lots to write. Questions will help things rise to the top.
Some really good info overall, thanks! Having a lot of experience playing Pathfinder, the First World generally equated to Fae for me. In your setting, is that and The Dreaming closely related, or are they definitely distinctive?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I've compiled the current numbers on those scores:

Intrigue: max 20 (Psistrike, Flynnarrel), min 10 (EpicEclipse), avg 17
Action: max 35 (EpicEclipse), min 10 (Dr Malysn, Fuzzyboots), avg 18
Romance: max 25 (Malsyn), min 5 (Fuzzy, Flynn), avg 11
Mysteries: max 40 (Fuzzy), min 20 (Malysn, Epic), avg 27
Supernatural: max 30 (Fuzzy, Flynn), min 20 (Malsyn), avg 26
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:29 am
Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:34 pm Began sketching out history here. Still lots to write. Questions will help things rise to the top.
Some really good info overall, thanks! Having a lot of experience playing Pathfinder, the First World generally equated to Fae for me. In your setting, is that and The Dreaming closely related, or are they definitely distinctive?
Not very familiar with the First World in Pathfinder- what, you mean that the books are more than crunchy bits for my weekend murderhobo fetish?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:33 am Not very familiar with the First World in Pathfinder- what, you mean that the books are more than crunchy bits for my weekend murderhobo fetish?
Scandalous, isn't it? ;P

In their setting, the First World is quite literally that. The first draft of the material plain and acted as the testing ground for the gods untill it was "overwritten" by the shadow and material planes. Prototype creatures creatures populated it, but it's chiefly resided by the Fey.

I'm gonna take a stab and presume that they have no real relation here though, yeah?
------------
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

That description sounds more like the Umbra (animism) than the Dreaming (imagination).
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Gotcha!
------------
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 pm Fortinbras- I really like the concept but wow.. that is really fast healing. Knock it down significantly and we might have something.

Fortinbras
The creature that calls himself Fortinbras was given life forty years ago by the alchemical genius known as Count Urlich. Fortinbras was one of Urlich’s earliest creations, a humanoid creature made from scavenged body parts stolen from cadavers and given unholy animation through the combination of esoteric chemicals and electricity. Fortinbras was an important and early stage in Urlich’s development of his skills, and the long quest to construct for himself a Philosopher’s Stone. But Fortinbras was only one of the Count’s servants and Urlich’s skill in creating them only grew with time.

Fortinbras’ first decade of life was spent doing the Count’s dirty work: acquiring new specimens, assisting in various experiments, breaking the legs or necks of anyone who crossed the Count and drew his ire. At first Fortinbras followed through with the Count’s every wish with zeal. Gradually, however, as his awareness grew and he met people outside of the Count’s circle, his eyes were opened to the possibilities of life and freedom. Or perhaps some remnant of the life he once lived before his resurrection began to bleed through into his consciousness, and give him aspirations towards something better. The hatred towards Count Urlich came later, but it was no less fierce than Fortinbras’ desire to be free and find his own way.

In time Fortinbras was pushed aside by new and more loyal and powerful creations. He was forced to do more menial and less prestigious tasks. He began to think of escape, believing that he might disappear unnoticed if he was careful and cunning. Nothing could have been further than the truth. When Fortinbras fled, Urlich sent his best hunters after his wayward creation, lamenting that he had allowed Fortinbras to develop free will.

But that free will, and the determination to remain free, allowed Fortinbras to elude his pursuers when he could and to fight them when he had to. The years passed and Fortinbras made his way in the living world, amongst normal humanity in all its beauty and horror, occasionally running afoul of his old master’s servants. Fortinbras found a home in Eldritch City after years of wandering, setting up shop as a consulting detective.
PL: 8
Abilities: STR: 8 STA: 8 AGI: 4 DEX: 4 FTG: 8 INT: 3 AWA: 3 PRE: 0
Skills: Deception 6
Expertise: Streetwise 3 (+6)
Insight 6 (+9)
Intimidation 6
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 6 (+9)
Feats: Diehard
Great Endurance
Luck
Power Attack
Ranged Attack 3
Well Informed
Powers:
“Living Dynamo” Immunity 5 [Electricity]

“Nothing that big can move so fast” Speed 2 [120 ft.]
  • AP: Leaping 2 [30 ft.]
“Spark of Life” Regeneration 5

“Lightning Bolt” Ranged Damage 4

Offense: Unarmed +8 [Close, DC 23], Thrown Object +8 [Ranged, DC 23], Lightning Bolt [Danged, DC 19], Init +4
Defense: Dodge: +8, Parry +8, Fortitude +8, Toughness +8, Will +3
Complications: Motivation [Acceptance, Doing Good], Complications [Enemy (Count Urlich), Power Loss (Immersion in Water), Prejudice (Created)]
Description: Fortinbras is a tall and powerfully built humanoid creature with pale, almost translucent skin and vivid, unsettling scars patterning his entire body. He has long dark hair that only grows on the top of his head and intensely blue eyes that occasionally flash with electric light when he is feeling intense emotions. The faint smell of ozone follows wherever he goes. Fortinbras wears black or blue almost exclusively, often bought secondhand or at thrift stores.

There is a wellspring of electricity within Fortinbras’ sturdy frame, which fuels his powerful musculature and durability, and serves to heal him from any damage he may acquire. Normally, his body recovers from wounds at an accelerated rate, although if he has direct access to a source of electricity, he can be supercharged and heal almost instantly. He has learned to generate short range bolts of electricity from his hands, which strike with all the power of a large handgun. He can be stunned and “short-circuited” by immersion in water, however, and avoids swimming or large bodies of water whenever possible.

He is haunted by the dark deeds he performed as a servant of Count Urlich, and strives to make up for them by doing as much good as he can now. Of course, few people trust or turn to a hulking, scarred monster like himself. Those that do will find a dedicated ally.

Under the Hood
I don't know why I reposted the whole thing. Easier to cut and past for your files?

I knocked Regen down to half and gave him a few more Advantages and some Powers I left off that I would have liked anyway. Hopefully that's a low enough Regen - he recovers one ever other round, I think? - with the option to rapidly recover if he grabs a power line or jams his thumb in a light socket. I do want him to be a bit of a tank. I'd have given him Impervious Toughness instead if I liked at all what 3E did to Impervious, and I'd like him to be able to soak damage. I have no idea how important combat will be, but I built him the way I would any character I'd bring to a table.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Re: Holding Back being OP

Preface: this is all subjectively my opinion.

It CAN be, but for two things, it is HIGHLY situational given the conditions that a late required to activate it, and the extra power built into the higher power form is still subject to GM approval and generally so long as the character isn't just using the extra points to make themselves invulnerable, the character gets a boost of power and should still have weak spots that can be exploited. (Using my own character that has Holding Back from Bladewind's game, she can be gassed out with her relatively poor fort resistance and while her toughness does go up a little, she doesn't get any special immunities or resistances at all, so while her offense goes up quite a bit, her defense doesn't go up quite as much.)

Not that I intend to try and use it, I feel it's a great mechanic, but not something that works on just any concept, and certainly something gms should keep a watch on and be stingy about it's use, but not something I think should be outright excluded since there are concepts where it is very appropriate (and even then very unlikely to ever actually come up in game unless the gm intentionally frames the scene for it)

That all being said, I'm not sure any submission here sounds like holding back is really necessary over something like extraordinary effort to represent some extra kick they can call on.

Edit: Bladewind's werewolf, I can see where he was intending to use it, but Morph with the metamorph extra would work better honestly, just shifting points towards a more single-minded aggressive build setup. Doesnt really need the extra PL of Holding Back I think
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:05 am I don't know why I reposted the whole thing. Easier to cut and past for your files?
Easier to alter the original sheet and let me know that you changed it.

Thank you for not pming me. :)
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I should have something up tomorrow.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document