Eldritch City (3E MM)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Psistrike

Re: Eldritch City (Recruiting, 3E MM)

Post by Psistrike »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:13 am Quick question, Spectrum, the 3 skill points per power point, does that apply to the combat skills?
*facepalms* I forgot that detail when building my character, need to adjust skills and stats with that in mind now. :oops:
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So, would someone who is a ghost be a viable character idea for this game?

More specifically, someone who outwardly resembles a ghost, but is not ACTUALLY a ghost- and one of her driving motivations is to find out what she actually is and how she got to be that way. 'Hope' is permanently insubstantial, and has very limited means of interacting with the physical world (primarily interaction and investigative/sensory abilities, though may be able to stunt an 'affects corporeal' power).

I used her as an NPC years ago (for a supers meet eldritch horror game), but she definitely does not fit in a traditional supers game- this one looks different enough that it might fit.

Anyway, let me know. If it doesn't work, I have plenty of other ideas. Too many, really.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Psistrike wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:19 am
FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:13 am Quick question, Spectrum, the 3 skill points per power point, does that apply to the combat skills?
*facepalms* I forgot that detail when building my character, need to adjust skills and stats with that in mind now. :oops:
I'm in a bit of holding until that's clarified...
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

combat skills still cost 2/pt
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I have brought Joshua up to specs with the houserules and setting. I have a prototype ghost minion as well. Would you prefer if I simply put him in his own post rather than inside my scattered comment on three proposed characters?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Been having a little writer's block with build inspiration, but I think I found something that may inspire me. I'm hoping to have something up on my days off this week (Wednesday and Thursday)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:25 am So this weekend has been a total loss in terms of creative output- I'll try to get a concept pitch up in the next day or two. It is, as usual, a matter of too MANY ideas, rather than too FEW- I'm watching the other concepts go up, and letting them narrow my field a little.
Don't worry too much about it, not planning on starting the game until the New Year.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm I have brought Joshua up to specs with the houserules and setting. I have a prototype ghost minion as well. Would you prefer if I simply put him in his own post rather than inside my scattered comment on three proposed characters?
If you want to edit things down so that it's all together, would be good.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Psistrike- I like Lexi a lot more than your reaper concept!
Camus

Post by Camus »

Ok I think I can throw my hat in with this concept.

"Wise" Diomedes, a man who almost becomes the vessel for the entities beyond the veil. He managed to pull out with most of himself intact but He was cursed and retains a small link with the other side. The others used the opportunity to disseminate agents into the world. He wears a mask to conceal his face, deformed by the curse. He has wandered through many places, searching for the agents of the other side, and for a cute to his curse, and the people of the land call him the Yellow Pilgrim.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Joshua "Binder" Lopez

ABILITIES [30 PP]
STR 2 AGI 1 FGT 1 AWA 2
STA 2 DEX 2 INT 3 PRE 2

ADVANTAGES [7 pp]
Defensive Roll 2, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 2, Ranged Attack 2

With Ghostly Feedback: Beginner's Luck, Defensive Roll 4 (+2), Evasion, Ranged Attack 4 (+2), Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

SKILLS [9 PP]
Expertise (Psychologist) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Streetwise) 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 6 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Pistols) 6/4 (+12/+10)

POWERS [53 PP]
  • Can Touch Ghosts - Affects Insubstantial 2 (Limited to Ghosts, Narrow Variable Descriptor - handheld weapons/bare hands) [2 pp]
  • Comprehend (Spirits) [2 pp]
  • Ghostly Feedback - Enhanced Traits [9 pp]
    • Beginner's Luck
    • Defensive Roll +2
    • Evasion
    • Ranged Attack +2
    • Uncanny Dodge
    • Well-Informed
    • Ranged Combat (Pistols) 2
  • Sense Spirits - Senses 2 (Counters Concealment [ghostly], Limited [Ghosts]) [2 pp]
  • Summon Spirit - Summon 6 (Heroic, Mental Link, Narrow Type (Ghosts), Attitude: Indifferent) [25 pp]
  • See Through Spirits - Remote Sensing 3 (All Sense Types, Range: 250 feet, Medium (Spirits), Subtle) [13 pp]
EQUIPMENT
Heavy Pistol (Blast 4)
Undercover Shirt (+2 Toughness)

DEFENSES [21 PP]
Dodge: 7 (+8) [+10 vs. Area Attacks]
Parry: 3 (+4)
Fortitude: 4 (+6)
Toughness: 2 (+8)
Will: 7 (+9)

COMBAT
Melee: +1
Ranged: +6
Initiative: +1
* Heavy Pistol: +12 (DC 19 Toughness)
* Unarmed Attack: +1 (DC 16 Toughness)

BACKGROUND
Joshua was a therapist in Eldritch City, specializing in counseling people through divorce cases. Truth be told, he wasn't great at his job. He was smart enough, and he studied hard, but he just didn't have that knack for understanding people that was necessary for really helping people with their problems. Then, one day, his eyes were opened. He stepped out of his office, tired, and swerved out of the way of a slightly translucent fellow with a mumbled excuse before double-taking and turning. Ghosts. Hundreds of ghosts roamed the streets of Eldritch City from every era and time. The first thing that Joshua did was to go home and have several strong drinks. Then, the next day, he tried to go back to work. The problem was, the ghosts started to figure out that he knew about them. They began to pester him at all hours of the day, asking him to help resolve their problems.

It didn't take long before he had to close his practice. He couldn't concentrate past the ghosts. Then, one day, he snapped and punched one. Much to his and the ghost's surprise, his fist made solid contact. It wasn't a strong hit, but the ghost had grown disused to being touched, and had no way to retaliate, and retreated rapidly. Word must have quickly spread on the spiritual realm that Joshua was no longer a chump because the requests for help went down to a trickle. Unfortunately, Joshua's reputation in the physical world was already pretty much ruined as too many people knew him as the psychologist who talked to thin air. And so, he turned to a life of crime. Well, not right away... he tried to make money by locating lost caches of money, bringing comfort to the forlorn, and so on, but it just didn't quite work out. Most caches of hidden money got found pretty quickly and the con artists playing spiritualist were better at consoling those with lost loved ones than Joshua. But ghosts get just about everywhere and there was a market for information on things like the combination of a security system or the layout of a vault. Initially, he just got information for others, but he eventually became more bold, and started doing his own retrieval missions, training in the off-time with a former Marshal from Eldritch City's early days of cattle drives until he got pretty good with a gun.

Joshua is all too aware that, when you stare at the abyss, it stares back at you. And when you can see ghosts, there's a good chance they notice that you can see them...

COMPLICATIONS
  • Reputation — Joshua is known among the spirit community and, all too often, he is sought out, whether he likes it or not. He also has a bit of reputation among the living for exorcising homes of ghosts, albeit a fairly low-key one. The latter is partly by choice and partly because his methodology lacks a lot of the flash that others use; he basically sits there and talks the ghosts into resolving their problems.
  • Reputation — In the psychology world, Joshua is known as a bit of a nutcase.
  • Obligations — Joshua owes favors to members of the spirit community. The favors have been traded and he's lost track of who owns them. They may get called in.
  • Distracted — Joshua is easily distracted, the legacy of seeing a lot of things no one else has to deal with seeing. He can't turn his Sight off, and sometimes he won't see or hear something because there's a ghost in the way.
  • Power Loss — Joshua's "Ghostly Feedback" powers are dependent on communicating with the constant background noise of ghosts around in. Sometimes, the ghosts just aren't there, or aren't interested in relaying information.
  • Secret — Joshua has a secret motivation for wanting a big score...
APPEARANCE
Joshua has messy sandy blond hair that he used to keep shellacked down when he was a psychologist, and watery blue eyes that perpetually look a little unfocused, primarily because he's seeing things that others are not. His typical day-to-day wear is a white button-up shirt (unbuttoned at the top, no tie) and a black best, with black jeans below and black sneakers. He has a nervous demeanor, always glancing around, although again, this is in part due to him getting distracted by the ghosts around him.

His nose is slightly crooked from having been broken, and he has a small scar in the middle of his forehead. No, it's not a legacy of criminal activities, but rather the result of tripping in his house while a bit drunk, and catching the corner of a desk with his face.

Abilities 30 + Skills 9 [21 skill points + 4 combat] + Powers 53 + Advantages 7 + Defenses 21 = 120 pp

Example Summon:
Ghost - PL 6

Strength 0, Stamina -, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages
Fearless

Skills
Insight 6 (+6), Perception 12 (+12)

Powers
Drain Life: Weaken 10 (Affects: Stamina, Resisted by: Will, DC 20)
. . Scramble Electronics: Nullify 10 (Alternate; Counters: Electronics, DC 20; Effortless; Reduced Range: close)
Ghost Form (Activation: Free Action)
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait -10 (Traits: Stamina -6 (+0))
. . Flight: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)
. . Ghostly Invisibility: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses)
. . Immunity: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects)
. . Insubstantial: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal)
Protection: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness)

Offense
Initiative +0
Drain Life: Weaken 10, +2 (DC Will 20)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
Scramble Electronics: Nullify 10, +2 (DC Will 20)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 15)

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 2, Parry 6, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 6, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 4 + Powers 67 + Advantages 1 + Skills 6 (18 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 90

Validation: Complications: At least 2 Complications are required

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 am Psistrike- I like Lexi a lot more than your reaper concept!
Thanks, glad I went with her instead. Adjusted her stats due to forgetting about 3 skill ranks/1 pp except for close and ranged combat. Thus bumped up Expertise: Illusion Magic, Insight, Perception, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth by 2 ranks each and used the 4 points saved on skills to get Defensive Attack and Improved Trip to represent her self-defense training more and Skill Mastery 2 [Expertise: Stage Magician, Sleight of Hand] to represent she has been training in these since before she could walk.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Dropped my acrobatics skill due to Spectrum clarify the part about combat skills.

I really like your illusionist too, Psistrike!
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Heritage367

Post by Heritage367 »

Name: Darlene Lampwick
Base of Operations: Eldritch City
Height: 5’3”
Weight: 112 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Blonde
Power Level: 8
Hero Points: 1

ABILITIES
Strength 0
Stamina 2
Agility 3
Dexterity 3
Fighting 0
Intellect 2
Awareness 2
Presence 4

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Deception 6 (+10/+12)*
Expertise: Cooking 3 (+5)
Expertise: Dance 2 (+4/+6 when Performing)
Expertise: Law 8 (+10)
Expertise: Mystical Phenomena 3 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Investigation 8 (+10)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 6 (+10/+12)*
Ranged Combat (Move Object) 10 (+12)
Treatment 1 (+3)
Vehicles: Driving 3 (+5)

OFFENSE
Initiative +3
Move Object +12 (Ranged, Damage 4 [DC 19 Toughness])

DEFENSE
Dodge 6
Parry 8
Fortitude 6
Toughness 2 (10)
Will 10

ADVANTAGES
Attractive
Contacts
Connected
Equipment 4
Languages 1 (Spanish)
Luck 1
Skill Mastery 2 (Deception, Persuasion)
Well-Informed

EQUIPMENT
Binoculars - 1 point
Car (Mazda Miata) - 11 points
First aid kit (in car) - 1 point
Laptop computer - 1 point
Smartphone (Audio Recorder, Camera, Flashlight, GPS, Internet) - 6 points

POWERS
Cloak of the Mind
• Precise Concealment 10 (All Senses but Tactile, Limited to Lifeforms/Mental effect) – 11 points

Grasp of the Mind
• Precise Subtle Move Object 4 (800 lbs)
AP: Subtle (×2) Flight 4 (30 mph)
AP: Subtle Sustained Protection 8 (Limited to Physical Attacks) – 12 points

Touch of the Mind
• Perception Area Affliction 8 (Will Save, Visual, Limited Degree – Impaired, Stunned)
AP: Perception Area Affliction 8 (Will Save, Visual, Limited Degree – Entranced, Compelled) – 9 points

APPEARANCE
Despite her petite size, everything else about Darlene is big; her smile, her laugh, and her flashy/trashy taste in clothes. She favors leather and pleather jackets, revealing tops, tight pants and high heels, either pumps or ankle boots. She also never goes anywhere without an oversized purse and a pair of sunglasses, typically perched on top of her head. As comfortable as she is in these outrageous outfits, at least part of her appearance is an act; she knows people tend to underestimate a 'blonde bimbo'.

PERSONALITY
Very extraverted ever since she was small, Darlene has become a bit more reflective since recovering from her coma; sure, she can still turn on the charm and Southern sass when she wants to, and she's still a lot of fun at a bar or party, but now there's a somber undertone beneath her oversized persona. Dar has seen the darkness people are capable of, and her compassion for others burns as bright as her quest for justice.

When she's not fighting crime or the forces of darkness, Darlene enjoys cooking huge Southern-style meals for her friends and Latin dancing. She also loves to drive fast cars, and is fairly impressive behind the wheel.

BACKGROUND
A pint-sized Southern dynamo in three-inch heels, Darlene Lampwick was a party girl waitress until her big sister Louise, sick and tired of her devil-may-care lifestyle, encouraged her to try to make something of herself. So Dar enrolled in the paralegal program at Athens Technical College; after graduation, no one was more shocked than Darlene when she found out she was actually good at her new career. Things seemed to be looking up for the feisty young woman when she found a position at a prestigious law firm in Eldritch City.

But then three years ago, she was sexually harassed by Charles Raymond, a senior partner at the firm where she worked. When she complained, her concerns were dismissed; enraged, she did a little digging into his background, and came upon some very dirty secrets, things involving strange and dark forces that someone was willing to go to great lengths to keep hidden...

The driver was just supposed to scare her, not run her MINI off the road and into a river; she was trapped inside the flipped-over car as it slowly flooded with water, unable to get the doors open. Darlene ended up in a unresponsive coma for three years, during which she believes she was in touch with 'outer entities', faceless beings whom she claims taught her new ways of seeing the world. When she awoke, she found she had unusual mental abilities and a passion for justice, whatever the cost. She's also being reading a lot more (Dar might be one of the few people to wake up smarter from a traumatic head injury), especially about others like herself who have unusual 'gifts'.

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Justice. Darlene is sick and tired of seeing powerful people get away with murder, sometimes literally. She’s no killer, but her thirst for justice can take her down some fairly dark paths.

"Ah’m with the band.”: Even though her life has changed in so many ways, Darlene’s fashion sense has not; she still dresses like a groupie hanging around backstage at a Van Halen cover band concert, which is not always appropriate.

"Ah got a bit of a temper.": Sometimes Darlene has a hard time holding her tongue when she's upset.

“Ah missed some stuff.”: Three years out of your life is like ten years in pop culture reference years; Darlene has a very full TiVo and a lot of catching up to do.

"You ain't stickin' me in no damn box!": Her harrowing experience has left Darlene with fairly acute claustrophobia; among other things, she will now only drive a convertible.

"They made him a what now?": During the time she was comatose, the man who put her there, Charles Raymond, has become a senator. And he is very unhappy to find out she's awake...

POWER POINTS
Abilities 32 + Powers 32 + Advantages 12 + Skills 21 + Defenses 23 = 120 Total
Here's how Darlene is looking now; let me know if math or concept needs adjusting.
Last edited by Heritage367 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm dealing with some holiday annoyance. I will try to post soon.

I have cleaned out my inbox. I think that the only message that wasn't fully sent was from pathfinder.