New Vindicators Academy of Europe #30: Allegory of Prudence (M&M 2E - IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Michuru

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #30: Allegory of Prudence (M&M 2E - IC)

Post by Michuru »

BERLIN, 9PM (NPCs: The Drifter, Fach, and Magnitude)
The scream caught Magnitude off guard. Though his hands flew to cover his ears, the damage had already been done: the blind teen was now deafened as well. Fortunately, he had other senses to rely on...

Erzherzog Mueller seemed more crippled by Fach's scream than he was. The man was stumbling--his equilibrium no doubt thrown by the sonic assault. There would be no diplomatic way out of this now. They were going to have to fight, and they knew almost nothing about what their opponents' were capable of.

Magnitude grabbed the Drifter and Fach's wrists and began to run. Once they were outside, he took them into the skies.

ISTANBUL, 10PM (NPCs: Ashworth and Fiore)
Pasha Nazif listened to all that Ashworth and Fiore had to say. He called in another of his retinue--Agha Remzi--to begin mobilization of their forces. As the pair told their story to the ruler, others entered and they were introduced to Serasker Peker and Serasker Kunt, the viziers who commanded the Pasha's forces. Once he had conferred with them briefly, he turned his interest back to his guests. "One thing I do not understand is your own world. You do not rule it?"

"No," Ashworth said. "If anything, many of us are treated as second-class citizens. Some of the students who came with us to your world are actually refugees from countries that sought to imprison them because of their abilities."

"Fascinating," the Pasha said. "Why do you not simply rise up and overthrow them? We have the power of gods--should we not be worshiped as them?"

Fiore felt suddenly very uncomfortable with the man. He found himself wondering just how free the non-powered people of the Ottoman Empire truly were...

LONDON, 8PM (Current and Taheka)
Taheka transformed and made his way back into the bag. Slinging it back over his shoulder, Current made his way closer to the fence. He vaulted over it, and then... it felt like he had been stabbed in the brain. It was a flash of a headache that vanished as soon as it had come on him.

He started for the palace when he felt the intense heat from a jet of flame streaming for him. Jumping out of the path, Current looked back. On the other side of the gate was Francine Applebottom, holding out a lighter and commanding a stream of fire to stretch impossibly from it. Ellen was beside her. Behind them, another agent was swelling in size: the man was easily forty feet tall at this point.

They had spotted him. It was literally fight or flight time.
Lady Woolf - Notice: 1d20+2 20

I cool with Lex auto-saving the initial area attack. I was struggling to think if he had ever actually met Applebottom, but even if he has not, I feel like his involvement with the Arnett's would have given him a glimpse at her picture once or twice. I think he'd at least know her on sight.
MOSCOW, 10PM (Fluxx and Imago; NPCs: Puck)
One cold January Sunday in 1905, Father Georgy Gapon led a demonstration towards the Winter Palace. Looking for reformation on the ruling class' power and improvements to working conditions, the protestors intend to deliver a petition to Tsar Nicholas II. On the various bridges and entries into the area, the protestors were met by the Imperial Guard, who proceeded to open fire. Though no one knows officially how many lives were claimed that day, the death toll is estimated as close to five-thousand. Unbeknownst to the protestors, the Imperial Family got word of the march the night before, and had relocated to Alexander Palace, enjoying the seclusion almost as much as they did the security it afforded. From that point forward, the Winter Palace was only used for formal receptions.

From what Martin understood of this world's history, the point of divergence occurred in 1914, with the assassination attempt of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. It stood to reason to him that Bloody Sunday likely occurred, but it was doubtful that the Winter Palace was stormed in 1917. The February Revolution had likely never happened here; Alexander Kerensky might have never led the Russian Provisional Government out of the building; surely, the Leningrad Siege had not even been dreamt of in this reality. Martin couldn't tell what odd turns had led to the Tsar returning to the Winter Palace and making it the seat of the Romanov Empire, but staring up at the gilded emblems adorning the gates, his curiosity was piqued. 

This time of night, there were hardly any throngs of tourists dotting the landscape of the palace square. There were a few people--mostly guards, he reasoned by their stoic stances and studious gazes. As they observed them, the trio was astonished to see obvious super-human traits among the guard: one man who passed them had translucent skin while another had mandibles; a bald woman walked by with some sort of mohawk that may have been part of a dorsal fin, Fluxx hypothesized. It wasn't too surprising, given what they already knew of this world, but it was slightly jarring to see people with powers in positions of authority.

Fluxx watched them closely. He tried to spot the differences in their uniforms--of the regalia they wore. He noticed the majority wore the same thing; very few had any variation to it. It may have been rank: watching the majority interact with those view, he saw them saluted as they passed.

He thought he had it down--what symbolized lower ranks--but the lack of a crowd was eating at him. Where were all the normal people?
We can hold your roll, EO.
PARIS, 9PM (Shiver; NPCs: Sidestep)
Sidestep was silent for a moment, but his jaw worked. "He killed her," he said quickly. "He killed my mom.

"We knew what was coming, but we wanted to get as many people to safety as we could. Me and my mom and Eric and his mom... We got everyone from our school out of there and we got everyone's families. Then we went to the city and started bringing as many people through as we could."

This was hardly news to Violet: those four alone were responsible for saving hundreds of lives in the minutes before Prodigy sacrificed an entire universe to imprison the Armada in an infinite loop. Few had been willing to say it, though. If they mentioned it--if anyone told Abe how much of a hero he had been--they'd just be calling attention to the fact that his mother was the only one who didn't make it back from that rescue mission. She was on the other side, working to save more, when the connection between dimensions was sundered. She was left on the other side with them, locked in a time loop.

"I took Natasha to her family and got all of them out. I got Sarah's family and Remington's and Javier's. My mom was all I had left though, and she didn't make it out. And now, this stupid thing takes us to this stupid world where we meet this woman and she's my mom but she's not my mom, you know? She's too young and she..." He wiped his eyes on the cuff of his sleeve. "She doesn't even know who I am."

TEHRAN, 10:30PM (Greystone and Ursa; NPCs: Gabrielle and Maze)
Ursa transformed and took the shirt. As he inhaled, he watched as Greystone led the way out of the room--already tracking the empress' brother's scent. The others followed him into the hall and Greystone peered around the corner. There were two guards up ahead, flanking a door. The scent led there.
Stealth check, if you will.
TOKYO, 4AM (NPCs: Benson, Sophie, Stephen)
Steven took an inventory of what resources were open to him: with the belt and gauntlets, his strength was magnified to levels he had never imagined. The hammer was heavier than it looked and took immense strength to heft. Further, if he threw it, it would hit it's target.

His mind went to Thor--the Marvel Comics character, not the actual god, who... apparently had actually existed, according to Mister Benson. Who knew? In the comics, Thor could fly by throwing his hammer and letting it pull him via the leather loop on it's end. This hammer had no such loop. It was likely a good thing, as throwing it with this much strength might dislocate his shoulder, or worse.

Jack had recovered and was charging back to him, diving towards the ground. Stephen couldn't fly, but the accoutrement he had been given were augmenting his strength to super-human levels. It stood to reason that it had to be more than just his ability to lift something, right?

He began to squat down, praying he was right. "You want a piece of me?" he growled.

"Steven, don't!" the queen said from behind him. "You can't-"

Steven screamed and jumped into the air. He looked down and realized he was easily thirty feet above the shoreline and still gaining altitude. A mad grin flashed over his face. "COME AND GET IT!" he snarled as he pulled back the hammer.

He twisted in the air and slammed the weapon into Jack's face, knocking him off course and to the ground. The impact also threw Steven off his own trajectory--a blessing in disguise, he realized as a inescapable truth hit him: his strength had increased, but his durability had not.

As Steven started to plummet into the bay, something grabbed him. He looked around to find himself hovering the air, as though held up by invisible hands. It took him a moment to realize he was being held by the hands and belt. Magnetism. The queen was using her powers to keep him aloft, he realized.

She was too far out to cry to, but maybe she could see him. With his bolstered strength, he was able to move despite her holding him by both wrists. He pointed forward with the hammer and a moment later he began to propel forward.

The brief briefing Mister Benson had gave him said that Mjolnir could home in on a target. If Jack, for instance, hid behind a wall, the hammer could fly around the wall to attack him. Steven hoped it could do that even without a barrier between himself and his target. He imaged his opponent--pictured where he wanted it to hit--and he let the hammer fly.

Jack was flying to meet the youth. He broke off into a laugh as the hammer fell short of hitting him. "Looks like I already got everything you had!" he roared, belching flames from the side of his mouth.

Steven smirked as he saw the hammer arc back around and rise up over them. He just had to keep Jack's focus on him. This was going to hurt, he realized...

He turned aside and brought his arms up to cross over his face. Baptized in fire, Steven let out a scream. It hurt. It hurt worse than anything he had ever felt, but it was over as soon as it started. Mjolnir connected with the spot in Jack's back right beneath the shoulder blades. Steven couldn't savor the sight of the hammer thrusting him downward--down into the bay. Jack and the hammer shattered through the surface of the otherwise serene waters, but Steven paid none of it any mind.

His focus was entirely on the pain.
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Fluxx

"Tourists will not work..." he says then proceeds to explain all he'd reasoned and observed. "We can get in more simply by adopting ze uniforms of guardsmen and walking in. I do not know 'ow common shifting or disguise powers are... or invisibility powers for zat matter," he looks at the fae, "so zey may 'ave counter measures in place. I can release an odor neutralizer to cover against olfactory detection, or at least confuse ze issue. I zink zis route of deception would be more effective."
"Something pithy this way comes."
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

"I can quite literally turn Dennis into whatever I want him to be." Puck looked at Imago and watched as fur grew over the Swiss boy's skin. He could feel something in the seat of his pants--a fluffy tail he had grown. The youth was now a hybrid rabbit-human hybrid. "This one time, I turned this guy into an ass. A good time was had by all. Me. A good time was had by me."

Like that, Imago reverted back to his natural form.

"All three of us could physical transform into someone else--not just look it, but be it. The only issue is that we'll be all dressed up with nowhere to go. Where are we headed after we adopt these identities? I can talk to the Ruskies and find out what we need, but I'm not really that smooth of a talker."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Will our powers remain unaffected? As to where to go, we can try to find out before going in where zey might be keeping 'im or we could look around when we get in zere." he offers.

"Per'aps we can find an establishment ze guards frequent and Dennis can talk zem out of ze information disguised as new guards? Surely zese hired statesman use English as a go between wiz ze Soviet guards, language should not be an issue."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 0= (1HP - reroll) CND: Normal

Lex sighed, "And everything seemed to be going so well."

He glanced around. Ellen, Applebottom and giganto man.

"I swear to god- Are you a treasonous bitch in every dimension, or does god just hate me?" Lex mutters to himself as he glances Applebottom's way.

Honestly in a straight up fight he still felt like he had a chance against the three of them. On the other hand kicking the hell out of security to deliver a letter probably wouldn't go over well. Also with Ellen around getting into a fight made not delivering that letter much more likely. And they'd be getting backup, pronto.

Besides, he honestly didn't feel like a fight at the moment.

Instead he made a break for the building.

"Wait, oh yes, wait a minute, Mister Postman," Lex sings to himself as he races up the side of the building, jumping, vaulting off of window sills, flag poles, and any other object he can get his hands on.

New plan: Get to roof, find door, release Tamati. Tamati goes under door, they go inside deliver letter...
OOC: Monkey Climb check: 1D20+15 = [3]+15 = 18

I'm going to assume that's not good enough to get up the wall. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
HP Reroll on monkey climb: 1D20+15 = [12]+15 = 27

Move action to climb, which means he's only going 60 MPH up the side of a building...
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Tamati "Taheka" Stevens
HP: 2
Condition: Normal

Unsure what was happening outside the bag, Tamati wondered whether he should ask the Drifter about getting a big screen TV set up in whatever this place is or even better a gaming rig just to fill in the time of course.
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

LONDON, 8PM (Current and Taheka)
Current was on the palace roof in a heartbeat and made it to a door. Kneeling down, he slipped the bag off and opened it up. He reached in for his companion and as he drew him out, heard a booming voice: "The other one was in the bag." Looking over his shoulder, he saw the tall one stepping over the fence, carrying some of his companions.

It didn't matter. With Taheka out of the sack, the pair were able to flee the fight. Taheka slipped under the door and and opened it. Current took a last look over his shoulder to see the giant pitching one of his companions at them. Shutting the door and locking it, the pair hurried into the palace.

Navigating it was going to be a nightmare. One, they had no inkling where they were going; two, they had no idea where the king would be. They made their way to one of the lower floors, continuing to scour the halls, only to run into a barrier. It was almost invisible--almost, except for when the light hit it in a certain way. It was an energy Current was all too familiar with: it was Kirstie's reflection field. If it came from whom he thought it came from, did this mean that Kirstie was capable of shaping her powers? That she could create force fields around other things?

"Hullo," said a familiar voice. The American didn't need to turn to know that they had found William Arnett. "We stop giving tours a bit after four, I'm afraid."

"I only alter cosmetic appearances. Don't get it wrong: it's real, unlike Den-den's tricks, but you're still technically you. Not sure if it'll work on you, but I'm down to give it a shot, Marty. Any requests? I call dibs on Dolph Lundgren." Suddenly, Puck turned into Ivan Drago. "If he dies, he dies."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 0 CND: Normal

"Oh thank god," Lex says with a sigh of relief, "Tamati may I introduce William Arnett."

Truth be told he was relieved that this was pretty much over. The only question was who's side was this William Arnett on? Lex was hedging his bets on this one not being a traitor, because if William was a traitor they were all pretty much doomed already. King included.

He took a breath to explain and then remembered that something was about to come through the door behind them in short order. Realizing there wasn't time he did the only thing he could think of, and talked like his girlfriend.

"WecomebearingaletterfortheKingfrom-" Lex pulls the letter from the bag to read the names he wrote on the envelope, "QueenSophievonHapsburgRuleroftheAustrianEmpireandShahbanuGabrielleAlvarezofthePersianEmpirewarningofthreatsagainsthismajestyfromCarlosCarolien."

"We'refromanotherdimension,we'renotinterestedinfighting,andhowdidyoumakeaforcefield?"
He pauses as he has to stop for a breath of air, then to Tamati he adds, "Man, Kirstie is going to lose her mind when she finds out she can make force fields!"
EnigmaticOne

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #27: The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp (M&M 2E - IC)

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Imago
HP: 3

"Worth a shot." Dennis studiously tried to ignore Puck's decision to temporarily give him a tail. This was quite in Puck's character after all. As for playing the new guard, his acting abilities shouldn't be that rusty...
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Fluxx

Fluxx will nod to Dennis. "Let's find a drinking establishment for guards. I will leave ze interactions to you, Dennis. Puck, zank you, if I run into a problem maintaining it I will request assistance 'andling my disguise." he says.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Tamati "Taheka" Stevens
HP: 2
Condition: Normal

"Dude you need to slow down" as Tamati could barely understand a word Lex was speaking at super speed.

"Ah what he said your lordship, we are messengers for Queen Sophie and Queen Gabrielle who want to warn the King of a threat from Carlos Carolien." Tamati was pleased that he remembered most of the names.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Violet Lear
HP: 1

"She's not your mum." Violet frowned. "You don't want to get into that. Dimensional clones are weird. Terrible really. They look the same but they're not." She was quiet for a minute. He must have known at least something about Black Ice, especially after the thing on the news.

"You know, we all lost somebody. I'm not gonna say get over it, because I haven't yet either. But you just gotta keep going. It sucks, but your life isn't over, right?" They were getting close to the palace. She pointed at it. "Look, we're almost there."
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Greystone:
[Jack Rexroth]
HP: 1
LP: 2
OOC wrote: Ursa transformed and took the shirt. As he inhaled, he watched as Greystone led the way out of the room--already tracking the empress' brother's scent. The others followed him into the hall and Greystone peered around the corner. There were two guards up ahead, flanking a door. The scent led there.
Jack was not surprised to find Gabriel’s scent leading to a guarded room, and moved as fast and as quietly as he could towards the pair of guards.
OOC wrote: Jack’s Stealth: _: 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 0 CND: Normal

"Believe me if he married Carla and had a daughter in this dimension? He speaks it fluently," Lex says sagely before continuing in a deadpan, "But with my luck he married some woman I never met and has a son named Kent."
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

LONDON, 8PM (Current and Taheka)
Sir Arnett stared at the pair curiously. "Dude," Taheka said, "you need to slow down."

"You wanna have another run at that where you don't sound barmy?" asked the older man.

"Believe me," Current said, "if he married Carla and had a daughter in this dimension? He speaks it fluently, With my luck he married some woman I never met and has a son named Kent."

"Sorry, sir!" Current and Taheka turned to see some of the other knights closing in from behind. Ellen and Applebottom were joined by Paladin and the one who had grown. 

"Ah, what he said your lordship, is that we are messengers for Queen Sophie and Queen Gabrielle who want to warn the King of a threat from Carlos Carolien."

As they offered out the envelope, the man took a look at the seal and raised a hand to slow his knights' charge. "Royal messengers," he said. "I'll take them to meet with his highness. Sir Baxter and Lady Wolfe will accompany us."

The man turned and his cape streamed behind him as he strode through the halls of the palace. "So, how shall I be introducing you? You two have names?"

ST. PETERSBERG, 10PM (Fluxx and Imago; NPCs: Puck)
Imago rolled the dice and it paid off: the guard did use English as a common language. It made sense, given that most mercenaries were American. In no time at all, he had all of the information that they needed: the curfew had only just started a few hours ago, following an attempt on the Tsar's life. Three women had attacked the Winter Palace and the man and his family had been whisked away to another location: Alexander Palace, some fifty kilometers south of where they were now.
I've also corrected my error: the Winter Palace is in St. Petersberg, not Moscow--my knowledge of how things are in our world is influencing me here.
PARIS, 9PM (Shiver; NPCs: Sidestep)
"She's not your mum." Shiver frowned. "You don't want to get into that. Dimensional clones are weird. Terrible really. They look the same but they're not."

Sidestep frowned. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize how insensitive that could be... I mean, Black Ice and all..." He shook his head. "I have to admit, all this... time and space jumping had me thinking what I would do if we could go back, you know? If I could just stop my mom from making another trip back to our world? Would I? Would she believe me? How would I know the right time to stop her? Should I just not let her go at all? Hell, the whole refugee thing is pretty much FUBAR, you know? Lot of people in Vienna ain't happy to have that many people suddenly show up. Martin has to be pushed trying to help everyone and Fiore's been doing his best to try and help with food. Sometimes I think it would have been better if we didn't save them, and then I think I hate myself for thinking that. Like, would I really be willing to sacrifice that many people just to save my mom? Or what if stopping her just caused Eric or his mom to end up trapped over there? Would I be able to live with myself if things played out like that? Would I care?

"Anyway, it's too very different things, but... do you think about Black Ice like that? Like, what you would do if you could go back? What you would sacrifice to stop her? What if it meant you becoming more like her?"

Fortunately, Shiver didn't have to answer. They were getting close to the palace. She pointed at it. "Look, we're almost there."

The palace was in sight. "One step forward," he said. They both took a step together and were standing in front of the palace.

Someone must have spotted them. A man called out in French. Sidestepped grabbed Shiver's hand. "I can get us out of here, but they might see us teleporting around as a sign of aggression. Say the word, and we're out. How do you want to play this?"
Before I forget (or just... disappear), three hero points to Violet as I believe you're birthday is next Wednesday?
TEHRAN, 10:30PM (Greystone and Ursa; NPCs: Gabrielle and Maze)
Greystone pressed his back against the wall, confident that he hadn't been spotted. Relaying what he had discerned, Gabrielle nodded. Blue flames emerged from her skull, bleeding from her eyes. Of course she could take them beyond the doors--it was her home, after all. She could likely imagine the room, but had no notion of what they would be walking into.

The Nephilim queen led them one step forward and into the room around the corner. They found themselves in a receiving room: chairs and sofas overwhelmed them, each decked in shawls and pillows. Tables were scattered among them, bearing intricately made pitchers beading with condensation. A television was tune to a gossip news show: a German noblewoman Greystone had never seen before had gotten engaged to someone bearing an uncanny resemblance to Dag.

"Sister?" Gabriel Farouk asked from one of the sofas. He wore only a robe over his underwear, and had an IV running from his arm.

Jack's eyes fell on a surgical scar over the youth's abdomen. By the blue threads poking out of his chest, he wagered whatever had been done to him was fairly recent.

TOKYO, 4AM (NPCs: Benson, Sophie, Stephen)
Sophie lowered the crying Stephen to the shoreline. Benson had cobbled together a makeshift crutch and was limping his way to them. "How did you do that?" he asked the boy. "The way you made the hammer arc back around?"

"Now is not the time, sir!" the queen shouted from Steven's side. His body was burned. His clothes--his father's jacket--were horribly singed. His first big fight and he had only just barely survived it. Still, as she looked out towards the sea, she realized that he had won it. He had stopped Jack--an older version of Jack from an alternate world, and he had done it without any powers of his own. "I'm sorry, Stephen," she told him. "I brought you along thinking that you and your teacher would need protecting. I didn't imagine you'd be the one protecting us."

Benson dropped to the beach beside them. "What about Jack?" he asked. "Is he...?"

"I imagine Stephen has him pinned under that hammer. He won't die. Likely he can adapt to breathe underwater. He'll survive, but he won't bother us soon. Your hammer, though..."

Benson looked them over. Sophie was wobbling; Stephen was out of commission; his leg was broken. Retrieving the hammer now would just liberate their opponent. They would not survive a second round. "We need to get Stephen to a healer."

Queen Sophie turned and was looking towards the city. "Stay with Stephen. I need to see the emperor."

Without another world, the diminutive woman took off, leaving Benson and Stephen alone on the beach. The archeologist let out a long sigh. "Guess it's just us, then." An uncomfortable silence fell over them--one broken on occasion by the burned boy's agonizing grunts of pain. "When I first left... See, I was part of this group. We located objects and studied them--safeguarded the world from them, actually. Can you imagine the devastation if something like this fell into the wrong hands?

"Anyway, when I left, I took something--bracelets. Bracelets that let me control the wind. I, uh... I ended up losing those, but I found these no long after. I've had them for some time.

"I've never really been much of a fighter, but I ended up in a few brawls. I just swung the hammer around, you know? Just... hit people. Hard. Sort of like you did at first. What you did--turning it into a boomerang... How did you do that?"

Stephen couldn't answer. He simply cried and wished the burns covering his body would stop aching. Benson wasn't sure how those bracelets Martin had handed out worked, but if he could heal through them, he wished he had one for the boy.

"I may not be part of that group I told you about, but I still believe in making sure that artifacts like these don't end up in the wrong hands. I may not be the best fit for these, but that doesn't mean I'm so irresponsible as to just give them over to a boy. Still... maybe we can... work on it. Pull through this, Stephen. When we get back to our world, I'll talk to the headmaster and see to having you get some training with these. Who knows, maybe some day you'll have earned them..."

Stephen turned his head to look at the man. "Do... you think I can be a hero?"

"You just saved me and the queen, and at great personal cost. Don't you get it, Stephen? You already are a hero."