Firefly (M&M3E)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: Can't Take the Sky From Me (changed to M&M)- recruiting

Post by Flynnarrel »

Spectrum wrote:2. Planet based, going on a trip on a train through a plague ravaged village on a line beset by bandits.
So, we're on an outer rim planet (maybe border planet), where did the train come from and where is it going to?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Atreju

Post by Atreju »

So sorry, I was waiting to hear more info on this and I suppose I wasn't getting notifications. :( (fixed that setting now :D )

Anyways, I am for sure wanting to be a Shepherd Book type... I'm thinking a Newly Ordained Shepherd, ex Freelance Investigator & High-Stakes Gambler, which gives me a past in a lot of circles, some fighting skills, but now I've left that crazy life to help others (maybe out of guilt for what I've had to do in the past!?).

Would his type be more of a monk, or cleric, or bard? Sorry, haven't played paper-pencil RPG in over 15 years, may need help with some things here and there but I did already start reading through the rules - http://www.d20herosrd.com/ .
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Flynnarrel wrote:
Spectrum wrote:I also strongly recommend that people take a look at my Nobody Be a Hero game to see how I run things. I'd rather not disappoint anyone by giving them the wrong idea about my pacing and rare use of rolls.
Link to it?
http://roninarmy.com/threads/1014
http://echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewto ... ?f=15&t=14
http://roninarmy.com/threads/1257
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Atreju and Striker- I did some work on chracter sheets for both of you last night. Do you want me to go ahead and finish them off or would you like to work on them yourselves? I'm planning on leaving a few points for customization if I do.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: what's "Quick Startle"? I don't see it on the list for advantages in the core rules.
Looking back over things, I'm thinking of improve demoralize from 2e, allowing you to make an demoralize attempt as a move action with no penalty rather than a -5.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

For characters with high enough Treatment skills:

The Bloody Sweat
The Bloody Sweat is a highly contagious airborne fever, though the likelihood of transmission increases dramatically with direct fluid contact in the form of blood or saliva. The disease has a rapid incubation period of twelve to twenty-four hours, followed by a prolonged prodromal stage of many weeks during which the symptoms manifest. The most successful treatment window is during the earliest part of the incubation period. If treatment is administered during incubation, the disease can be fully cured within a few days. Although the disease is still treatable during the prodromal stage, it is extremely resistant to most medicines.

After a few weeks, the disease becomes full-blown. Its major symptoms include dramatically increased fever, open sores, and frequent, heavy nosebleeds. Within days of progressing to this state, the infected frequently die—the Bloody Sweat has a mortality rate of nearly seventy percent. The illness’ final, lethal symptoms are a drastic spike in temperature followed by the flow of blood from the victim’s pores in a gruesome sweat that gives the malady its name.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Fēngshōu (Bountiful Harvest), out near the Dragon's Spine mountains, is the major breadbasket on Sahadeva and of importance to the rest of the Dragon's Egg planet out in the Blue Sun System. There was a mechanical crisis a few years ago, causing a season of bad crops, which nearly led to starvation of the entire moon. Only through costly intervention were fatalities kept to a minimum. What passes for a local government isn't eager to have that happen again. The Blood Sweat has come on Fengshou recently and people are eager to put an end to it.

The Harvest train line represents the best way to get supplies in and out of Fengshou. Unfortunately, the local raiders realize that as well and make it a frequent target. The mountain range is full of little nook and crannies that allow them to hide pretty effectively. While security has been able to fend off attacks they haven't been as successful in actually ending the threat.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Spectrum wrote:
Doctor Malsyn wrote: what's "Quick Startle"? I don't see it on the list for advantages in the core rules.
Looking back over things, I'm thinking of improve demoralize from 2e, allowing you to make an demoralize attempt as a move action with no penalty rather than a -5.
Ahhh, I see. Would you allow then, for me to take that as the effect for "Big-boned"?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Yep, my intention is to have that instead of big boned.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Spectrum wrote:Yep, my intention is to have that instead of big boned.
Gotcha, I've edited that as the effect. Thanks, mate!
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Updated Takashi's build, and added Complications. To answer your question Spectrum, Takashi, similar to Malcolm Reynolds, comes from a military background, and was good at it. Yes he is built to effective caps, though I tweaked those slightly. He's now got slightly more Deception & Persuasion, as well as Contacts & Well Informed and some knowledge of Rim planets trade routes, and such.

I am fine with the game being more narratively driven than a combat game, in fact I hoped for it. Takashi is good at combat, and if he threatens violence, typically he means it, but it doesn't mean that I can't, or don't, want to roleplay a resolution to a scenario without having to resort to combat.
Atreju

Post by Atreju »

Spectrum wrote:Atreju and Striker- I did some work on chracter sheets for both of you last night. Do you want me to go ahead and finish them off or would you like to work on them yourselves? I'm planning on leaving a few points for customization if I do.
Yes, I'll take whatever help I can get. :)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Spectrum wrote:Fēngshōu (Bountiful Harvest), out near the Dragon's Spine mountains, is the major breadbasket on Sahadeva and of importance to the rest of the Dragon's Egg planet out in the Blue Sun System. There was a mechanical crisis a few years ago, causing a season of bad crops, which nearly led to starvation of the entire moon. Only through costly intervention were fatalities kept to a minimum. What passes for a local government isn't eager to have that happen again. The Blood Sweat has come on Fengshou recently and people are eager to put an end to it.

The Harvest train line represents the best way to get supplies in and out of Fengshou. Unfortunately, the local raiders realize that as well and make it a frequent target. The mountain range is full of little nook and crannies that allow them to hide pretty effectively. While security has been able to fend off attacks they haven't been as successful in actually ending the threat.
Hmmm... Nadia left her training and wanted off that planet as soon as possible. Having no where else to go she decided to try to rejoin the crew-family of the Frankenstein so she hoped a transport to a planet that the Frankenstein usually frequents this time of year - Dragon's Egg. Due to that area's frequent troubles the merchant-haulers would typically bring (relatively) inexpensive food stuffs to Fengshou. The transport that Nadia was on would only land in a different town so Nadia had to take a train to Fengshou in hopes that The Frankenstein would be making their normal delivery there. She didn't know about the plague or the bandits and was just trying to get to a place that might accept her. Spectrum can decide if they are actually there or not.

As to other people, Nadia could have met and struck up a friendly conversation with other travelers.

Re: Another plot hook for Nadia; I wanted to give the Alliance a good reason to hunt her. Sure some stuff went missing when she left and that might be why Nadia is avoiding them but since I'd already decided she had danger sense, what if that indicated a latent psychic power that the Alliance 'Special Division' wanted to exploit? That might open up some story lines for you in the future, Spectrum. And Psy ability might b e something to incorporate into Nadia in the future. What do you think?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Atreju, let me know what you think. Based on some of our conversations, I think that you'll like him. Feel free to ask questions.

Big items:
1. You don't carry weapons but have a great knack for finding things to hit or throw at folk. You're more accurate than damaging.
2. Also don't wear armor, however Luck or a High Power has a way of things not hurting as much.
3. Three times per 'session' you can edit the scene to add some element in the scene that would fit but isn't described.
4. An overall well rounded character, but needs to be played smart rather than trying to bull through things.

Shepard Penance - PL 7

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 0, Dexterity 3, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
Benefit, Status: Shepard, Connected, Contacts, Eidetic Memory, Jack-of-all-trades, Luck (Edit Scene) 3, Quick Draw, Skill Mastery: Expertise: Gambling, Well-informed

Skills
Athletics 5 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 9 (+9), Deception 4 (+7), Expertise: Gambling 8 (+10), Expertise: Shepard 6 (+8), Insight 4 (+7), Investigation 6 (+8), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Throw 6 (+9), Sleight of Hand 2 (+5), Treatment 2 (+4), Vehicles 2 (+5)

Powers
Defensive Luck: Protection 3 (+3 Toughness; Sustained)

Gambler: Feature 1

Whatever's At Hand
Hit somebody with it!: Enhanced Trait 3 (Advantages: Improvised Weapon 3)
Throw it at somebody!: Enhanced Trait 3 (Advantages: Throwing Mastery 3)

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 12)
Throw, +9 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 17)

Complications
Addiction: Just one more game can't be bad, can it?

Honor: Following the Scripture isn't easy out in the Black. Help people make peace before they die.

Motivation: Doing Good: You have a lot to make up for.

Relationship: Lots of old 'friends' want to pull you back. Lots of old enemies want you back too.

Responsibility: You've seen the darkness of humanity and know how hard it is to see a way out.

Languages
'Pidgeon'

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 8 + Advantages 11 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 105

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2015 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Flynnarrel- I like it, I like it. I'm really happy with the group so far and the creative juices are flowing.