Firefly (M&M3E)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Can't Take the Sky From Me (changed to M&M)- recruiting

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I imagine it'd be medium highish, not one of her top skills, but something she'll simply be naturally adept with due to her imposing stature. Anyhow, it'd be a once per combat thing, so I'll let ya figure what'd be apropriate.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Space-born Urchin, Accident-scarred, Alliance Security Training-washout... but otherwise Ace-Pilot.

Nadia Patel

http://newseastwest.com/wp-content/uplo ... i-IPS-.jpg

Nadia was born in space to a community of merchant-trader-haulers and was always more comfortable in the free-floating parts of the ship than the gravity-bound ones She thought she would be a Hauler, just like her folks and her extensive network of 'aunties' and 'uncles', the girl had an aptitude for handling the controls of any vehicle she got behind the controls of. Still, Nadia was a rebellious child. Though you can't get away with much in such a small community, Nadia delighted in getting in to where she wasn't supposed to (locked or not) and slipping through small spaces. She would steal small things, oftentimes without people realizing (that was the funnest). Usually giving them back and soothing over any hurt feelings.

But space is a cruel, cold thing. A 17-year old Nadia was flying one of the 'Whiskers', small, light tug vehicles used to position new parts for attachment and also to transverse the large mass of hauler modules without cycling through the multitude of airlocks between the interlinking parts of the ship-village, her home, The Frankenstein (she still didn't know whay it was called that).

They were docking with an old Shinigami-class patrol ship. A local Alliance officer was sweet on one of the residents of the modular hauling ship and was there for a 'con-juggling' visit, whatever that was, (Nadia just thought they were boinking).

Something on the old Alliance ship exploded out of it's side propelling the largest of debris chunks into the Frankenstein, she barely registered the explosion of one of the living modules as she looked into the cockpit of the Alliance craft. The young Alliance pilot was frantically trying to stabilize his craft and Nadia was quick to assist. She turned her own adaptive-stabilizers to full and locked on to the Alliance ship with the Whisker's magnetic tractor cables. She was monitoring the delicate operation when micro-flotsum from the accident compromised the cockpit of her own craft. She heard tiny hiss-cracks to her right just before her head and face was suctioned painfully to the breach. She felt something give in her ear and the excrutiating pain made her pass out.

She woke up planet-side in a medical facility. One of her 'aunties' from the hauler ship, Auntie Geeta, was there and filled her in. The accident destroyed some of the living modules and Nadia's own parents were among the casualties. Nadia had kept the Alliance ship from doing further damage though and even saved the crew of the Alliance vessel. The Auntie said that Nadia herself was lucky to be alive. Her cockpit was comprimised but the network of cracks was plugged... the pain she felt on her face and the loss of hearing could tell her by what. A mirror revealed a spidery network of scars on the right side of her face and the guaze covered the hollowed out ear cavity as the pinhole breach ripped much of the auditory organ(s) out.

Auntie Geeta shared good news that the pilot who Nadia saved told her heroics to... well, anyone he could and that the girl's medical expenses including the installation of a top-of-the-line bionic ear was covered by a combination of the young pilot's own well-off father and Alliance subsidies.

The rest of the hauler ship Frankenstein needed to get underway but they would be back to pick her up. The emotion-filled girl told them not to bother that she never wanted to return to them. Auntie Geeta left, forlorn.

The next year or so was a fugue of doctor's and rehab and cosmetic surgeries that reduced the terrible scarring to a fine pattern of red spider-webs that *could* be mistaken as decorative by the lay person. At 18, Nadia decided to join the Alliance Security Force because she really didn't have anywhere else to go. She went through Basic training where reflexes born of space helped her excel. She did superbly in flight simulators and was to be fast tracked to flight training when a routine psych eval diagnosed her with a situational space-related PTSD. Her progress and the prospect awaked her childhood desires to be a pilot again and having that ripped away made her fed up with the whole thing. She quit Alliance training before graduating. Now she finds herself on a train, heading for a port, no prospects for the future.

After she turned in her equipment officially she snuck back in to 'acquire' items she was training with.

Complications:
PTSD - As much as she doesn't want to face it and denies it, she does have PTSD related to her accident and space flight involving explosions.
Small chance of recognition - Despite wanting to just remain anonymous, there might be people that recognize her as a brave young pilot who saved people and got her face scarred in the process. The incident was 3 years ago, but still.
Space baby - though Ground-side for 3 years, Nadia spent most of her life in 0-G. Extended physical exertion, especially carrying things impact her harder than others.
Bionic ear - Though top of the line at it's time, the ear can break down and be buggy or potentially lose power or, as an electronic device, be hacked somehow.
Crimes - In her youth she used to take things as pranks and for fun. The stolen Alliance Flight suit and stunner were in retaliation for dreams shattered. Still could get her in trouble, though.
Budding Psychic - Nadia has the potential to be a preCognitive. The Alliance knows that and that's why they have more of an interest in her. She has no clue yet and the GM is free to have any amount of wierdness manifest because of it.

PL7 105

str -2 STA 2 DEX 6 AGI 2 FGT 0 INt 2 AWE 2 PRE 0 [24pp]

Saves [24pp]
Dodge 2+6pp = 8
Parry 8pp = 8

Toughness 2sta+2vest+2Def.roll = 6

Fort 2+4pp = 6
Will 2+6pp = 8

Skills [28pp]
Sleight of Hand 4(+10), Vehicles 6(+12), Expertise - Navigation 2(+4), Investigation 1(+3), Insight 6(+8), Perception 5(+7), Ranged (Pistols) 2(+10), Close (Grapple) 7(+7), Technology 2(+4), Technology (limited-Security) 4(+8 total), Expertise - police procedures 3(+5), Deception 8(+8), Stealth 6(+8), Acrobatics 3(+5)

Advantages [18pp]:
Skill Mastery (Vehicles), Ranged Combat 2, Benefit - Ambidexterity, Luck 1, Equipment 5, Defensive Roll 2, Improved initiative 2, Precise(Ranged, Cover), Prone Fighting, Grappling Finesse, Improved Pin,
From Special: Uncanny Dodge, Evasion 2, Danger Sense,

Equipment:
Undercover Thermal Flight Suit; Protection 2, Subtle, Immunity cold environment, hot environment, Radiation environment (6ep)
Helmet, Immunity Suffocation, Limited O2 supply, immunity vacuum environment (2ep)
Commlink, Laptop (2ep}
Lockpicks {1ep)
Sonic Stun pistol; Affliction (R by Fort, Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Ranged, Cumulative pr4 (12EP)
A: Pair Heavy Pistols Blast, Multiattack, Split Attack, Quirk: Multi and split Requires both, otherwise normal heavy pistol pr 4 (1ep)
A: High powered rifle; Blast 6, (1ep)

Combat:
Initiative +10
Sonic Stunner +10 vs dodge, Fort DC14 Affliction
Brace Pistols +10 vs Dodge, Toughness DC19 multiattack
High powered Rifle +8 vs. Dodge, Toughness DC21
Unarmed +0, DC 13 Toughness
Grappling +7, DC16 (Str or Dodge), then DC21 (Athletics or Sleight of Hand) to Escape

Special
Latent Psychic [4pp]
Advantages: Danger Sense(Mental), Uncanny Dodge, Evasion 2

Space baby;
Movement: Environmental Adaptation (0-Gravity) [2pp]
Favored Environment (0-gravity) [1pp]

Hearing Aid +;
Extended Hearing, Ultrahearing, Radio Sense [3pp]
Second Chance(Fort saves, Sonic descriptor) [1pp]

Attributes 24+ Saves 24 + Skills 28 + Advantages 18 + Special 11 = 105
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I've updated Takashi, with a full build for review. I went PL 7, as I felt that was appropriate for Big Damn Heroes.

A quick discussion,
Tactical Genius: Perception Area Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Favored Environment: Variable; Affects Others, Perception Area: DC 11 - Audio, Precise, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Any Environment; Check Required 4: DC 13 - Tactics & Strategy, Fades)
The above provides everyone Takashi is communicating with Favored Environment for whichever particular environment they are currently in. The power, without Flaws is 6 PP, as such to successfully pull it off, Takashi must exceed a Tactics check of 13 by 6 to get full usage. So with his Alliance Tactics of +8, he must make an 11 or higher on a check result to grant this bonus.

It has Fades on it, I envision this cuts the Favored Environment bonus of +2, by 1 each round, which limits this ability to a 2 round bonus. I hope, mechanically this makes sense to you. Basically, I envision this as a 3E version of Master Plan.

Complications will be forth coming, I just need to get through one more day of work at the office, and I can devote more time to this.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

So far, we've created PL5-7 characters. We really should define what level we are working at
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

ZenGypsy, I will not be approving that ability as written. Please rework it.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

Perception Area Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Favored Environment: Variable; Affects Others, Perception Area: DC 11 - Audio, Precise, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Any Environment; Check Required 4: DC 13 - Tactics & Strategy, Fades
I'd say anything like that is just a way of breaking PL cap at will. Anything that breaks PL cap is supposed to be circumstantial and not really controlled by players without the expenditure of a Hero Point. I myself have played around with ways to favoured environment stuff, but I've realized it's only really useable as fun/experiment, it isn't really appropriate in an actual game.

My suggestion would be just take Inspire and maybe a few ranks of Luck to power it, if you want to represent being capable of buffing your team.
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

Alright so I went through the thread and heres what I see:

Spectrum, we really should get some actual creation rules, I couldn't find anything beyond "M&M 3e, lowish level".

For characters we have 3 proposed so far:
flynnarrel: Nadia, Ex-cop/pilot
ZenGypsy: Takashi, Asian warrior
Corrigon: Ex-Browncoat Doctor *Note, this character was mad ein the firefly rpg rules not using any M&M rules*

Posted Interest:
Strikerst09: Shooter named 'the duke
Dotcor Malsyn: Big rough mechanic lady
Fuzzyboots: Entertainer of some sort
Jemal: Captain or First Officer. Standard mysterious drifter/gunslinger type, acts like he has military experience but isn't in any 'official' military database. Possible he could have been black ops, or maybe he just knew people who were military and learned from them, or watched a lot of movies and taken the role to heart. Has obviously had to work on under-crewed ships b/c he knows a little bit about each system, enough to 'fill in' in emergencies, but not enough to be considered an expert.

Also posted but haven't said anything specific: Atreju, StarGuard
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Yes, I would apreciate some concrete rules before I stat up. I have her fluff already done, just need to make a sheet to go with it is all.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Edited: GM has spoken....
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Erg.

Going to make me really answer this, aren't you?

My initial thought is that the crew of the Serenity don't share a common PL (you can't tell me that Kaylie and River are the same) so why should we. :)

Or, this is a cooperative game where your characters will have an opportunity to shine in their own ways. Some in combat. Some not.

Or that PL is an artificial construct that determines the influence of the a die roll upon the character and not a true reflection on the character.

But.. PL 7 sounds good.

Edit: Please don't feel the need to force your characters to meet saves.

PSS: If the only tool in your box is combat effectiveness, probably going to be a really boring game for you.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Six foot two, three hundred and twenty pound baddass mechanic.
Tracy Iskellian - PL 7
Abilities 8+8+2+2+10+10+0+2= 42
Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 1, Dexterity 1
Fighting 5, Intellect 5, Awareness 0, Presence 1

Advantages 27
Equipment 5, All-Out Attack, Bennefit: Iskellian Family Member, Chokehold, Daze: Intimidation, Diehard, Evasion, Fascinate: Intimidation, Favored Environment: Engine Rooms, Great Endurance, Improved Critical: Wrenches, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Improvised Weapon 2, Inventor, Power Attack, Second Chance: Emergency Repairs, Startle, Skill Mastery: Tech, Languages 1, Takedown

Skills 28 (56)
Athletics 4(+8), CC: Wrench-Fu 3(+8), CC: Unarmed 2(+7), Ex: Starships 8(+13), Ex: Alliance Military Regulations 6(+11), Ex: Ballistic Weaponry 8(+13), Intimidation 10(+11), RC: Shotguns 4(+5), Technology 9(+14), Vehicles 2(+3)

Special 1
Feature: Big-Boned ... Tracy isn't fat, but she's definitely rather over-sized for a woman. It dosn't take much for her to Startle someone, and as such she may perform intimidate checks as a move action without penalty.

Equipment 24/25 EP
Weapons+Armor;
Shotgun: ... Damage 5, Shotgun Properties (10EP)
Wrench: ... Damage 2, Bludgeoning (2EP)
Bulletproof Vest: .. Protection 3, Subtle, Limited to Ballistics (3EP)
1-Point Equipment;
Computer, Commlink, Flashlight, Flash Goggles, Fire Extinguisher, Camo Clothing: Arctic, Gas Mask, Multi-Tool, Repair Kit

Offense
Initiative +1
Shotgun, Slugs: Ranged Damage 5, +5 (DC 20)
Shotgun, Pellets: Ranged Damage 5, +6 (DC 20)/(DC 18 Vs. Protection)
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 14), -5 to escape
Wrench-Fu: Strength-based Damage 2, +8 (DC 21), 19-20 Crit
Improvised Weapons: Strength-Based Damage 1, +7 (DC 20)
Throw, +1 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 19)

Languages
English, Chinese (Mandarin)

Defense 5+2=7
Dodge 6, Parry 7, Fortitude 4, Toughness 7, Will 0

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Special 1 + Advantages 27 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Defenses 7 = 105
Motivation: Responsibility: Fix what's broken
Ever since her expulsion from the military and "High Society", Tracy has become distinctly aware of just how impoverished people are on the border worlds. She keeps her prices low for their own sake, as she travels the rim, and isn't above doing a job for free if she thinks they need the money for something more important.
Her family has taken great strides to drag Tracy's name in the dirt, to make it clear that she's to be in no way associated with them and their company. As such, she tends to get a cold-shoulder from captains in the know when they're out looking for new mechanics, and this is especially true in the core worlds where she was denounced publicly.
Temper: Easy to tick off
Over-sized, court-martialed, banished and humiliated, there's a lot of things that've contributed to the woman's now very short fuse. She might usually prefer to keep to herself when she's capable of it, but if it can be taken in offense, then there's a good chance it'll draw Tracy's ire.
--------------
Born on the core-world of Londinium, Tracy's family claims to trace their ancestry all the way back to Earth-That-Was as being the people who helped build the first colony ships. Tracy herself has had her doubts over this claim for years, but that doesn't take away from the facts. The Iskellian family has been a big part of the starship industry for centuries.
It didn't take long for at the young, recently graduated woman to find herself within several big name projects during her stint as an Alliance Naval Engineer, as with the Unification War being in full swing, the military needed skilled workers. The last and most prestigious of her achievements was being the overseer of a maintenance crew which kept their top of the line Shinigami up and running, working directly under General Lao himself.
But it was following the battle of Serenity Valley that she was grilled by the man, believing it was solely her fault alone that Takashi Rayne's wing was capable of being shot down. That by some incompetence, she wasn't able to keep the ships in peak condition, that they possessed faults which the Independents exploited, or even a wild accusation that she purposefully tried to sabotage the entire operation. Needless to say, she wasn't pleased with the meeting in the least. It was days later that she heard word of the assault on General Lao by that very same pilot, and she found herself seriously reevaluating her own loyalties to the Alliance.
It didn't take long until rumors spread out about her doubts, from god knows who, which eventually led to a dishonorable discharge on account of "Conspiracy to Commit Treason." She was furious, and had to be forcibly removed from the courtroom where the hearing which resulted in it took place. Her own family found itself publicly disowning her shortly after, not wanting their prestigious reputation as the navy's most prominent supplier of ships ruined.
It was years down the line that she found herself struggling to make ends meet on the border worlds where her disgrace wasn't public knowledge. On one of these worlds, a backwater place with a name she couldn't even bother to remember, she had been hired to keep a train running after it's last mechanic died of some terrible disease. She only hoped that the same fate didn't befall her as well.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
------------
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Hopefully, I didn't scare too many people away!

General questions-
why are you on the train? Are you guarding it from bandits in the area? Are you going to provide aid to the sick? Are you just passing through and don't know about the disease?
Is that gear important to the character (Device!) or are they things that can and will be lost (equipment)?
Nearly everyone was a member of the Alliance and is now on the run. Does that need to be changed? Is there something in common that lead to their decision? Your choices here, as a group, will affect the overall storyline. Discuss :)

striker09- I really like either idea. I'd like to see things more fleshed out in either case. With Flynnarrel taking on the pilot, the sniper may be best. Also, think in terms of noncombat abilities. Are you good with animals? Outdoors survival? Where you get your excellent skills? The War? Which side? Why? A bounty hunter? Anything that you would or wouldn't do to catch your quarry?

Corrigon- Great basic concept! I really like the idea of someone just touring and deciding that they need to get involved in a conflict. Why did he so? Any particular event? Do you keep in contact from anyone in the war? I could link you to one of the major NPCs of the adventure (also a doctor that saw war). It's been several years since the Alliance won. What have you been doing since then?

ZenGypsy- I have no problem with you being a tactician, but again, I won't approve that group wide buff that you suggested. It breaks too many PL constraints. Just remember, if you can do it, so can I- and an escalation like that everyone looses. Does he have any skills other than combat? Will you be bored if that isn't a major element of the game? Complications? How will you deal with the social problems of being a member of the Alliance out on the Independent minded Rim?

Flynarrel- Another great character. The space baby angle is one that doesn't come up very often but is very worth going into. There is probably a deeper story of the Alliance pursing their investment. Maybe that's why she ran all the way to the edges of space. Does she know anyone else in the group?

Jemal- on the surface looks interesting, similar to the Operative or maybe Shepard Book? I would recommend working with the others so that you share concept space.

DrMal- I really like the focus on the wrench as a weapon, great for a wrench wench concept. Speaking of which, don't let Jab know that you're stealing his girlfriend ;) Big Boned- looking at your advantages, I think that quick startle would suit you better and be a more effective investment. Other than that, great stuff.

So in general, I like what I see. A few places to explore or polish. I think that we're coming together nicely. Major US holiday weekend is coming up quickly. I'm thinking of a start time in very early December- give folks plenty of time to finish things off.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I also strongly recommend that people take a look at my Nobody Be a Hero game to see how I run things. I'd rather not disappoint anyone by giving them the wrong idea about my pacing and rare use of rolls.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

In answer to your general questions, Tracy was hired on as the replacment mechanic for the train after the last one died due to said terrible disease. She's aware of said disease, and really wishes she had looser morals so she could just up and leave the planet to it's fate instead of sticking around in their time of need. Her gear is all fairly replaceable, nothing particularly unique or special (Though the parka that came with her camo-clothing is pretty much her favorite thing ever to wear). About the Alliance, she's not on the run per se, she's simply... not very welcome in certain circles. Particularly shipyards, or militaristic locations. I had decided to go with that in part because, well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The more direct stuff- Thanks! I found the thought appealing, so I just went with it. And there really should be more characters that look like Zarya, not against her design, but would be nice to have more options when it comes to "Large muscular Woman" characters. Now, that last thing, what's "Quick Startle"? I don't see it on the list for advantages in the core rules.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Spectrum wrote:I also strongly recommend that people take a look at my Nobody Be a Hero game to see how I run things. I'd rather not disappoint anyone by giving them the wrong idea about my pacing and rare use of rolls.
Link to it?