Injustice: Absolute (Young) Justice [M&M 3e Recruitment CLOSED]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
endwaar

Injustice: Absolute (Young) Justice [M&M 3e Recruitment CLOSED]

Post by endwaar »

Hello all, and thanks for visiting this humble little thread of mine. As a first time visitor and poster (I literally just made an account the day of this post, after searching to find a place to scratch my M&M 3e itch), I hope that I'll have a long and fun time here at the community!

Regardless, I was struck by inspiration today on an idea for a game set in the Injustice: Gods Among Us alternate world of the DC Universe, after both games and assuming that Batman won his battle with Superman at the climax of Injustice 2. I would play the role of the GM in this case, and I'd like say, 4-6 players to take on the roles of the new Young Justice members in this post-Regime world.

I've read some of the comics about the intervening time - between the games, and in the five years between Lois' death and the fall of the Regime - and am moderately knowledgeable about the setting as a whole, though as it's not hugely detailed, I'm more than prepared to make stuff up. I'm an experienced GM, though I will admit to being something of a novice in M&M, and humbly suggest that I'm willing to dedicate a fair amount of time to this.

A few administrative bits and bats (no pun intended) before I wrap this up. More will be added as interest is shown.
  • RECRUITMENT IS NOW REOPENED UNTIL SEPTEMBER 20th
  • Power Level is 10, PP is 150.
  • You may play canon characters, though I can think of only two from the games that would apply immediately off the top of my head: Barbara Gordon/Batgirl and Supergirl/Kara Zor-El. Maybe. I'm not entirely certain on that one. If you'd like to play Superboy, we can discuss it, as I have specific plans for him.
  • Any canon character that isn't in the games or the comics is something I'd be open to discussing. But really, I think that's a bit premature. If anyone's interested, let me know, please!
  • Original Characters are absolutely allowed as well. 'tis a new generation and all that!
  • As part of your character submission, I'd like at least three paragraphs of backstory for all characters, including stuff like how the Regime affected their lives, and how they view the use of lethal force, why they are who they are, etc. I welcome longer ones, so I can sink more hooks into the backstories, but three's the minimum. There's no need to discuss why they're joining Young Justice, as we'll be handling that in the prologue.
  • I'll be happy to work with you all on your character submissions, so just PM me. I also have discord, and am open to using it to discuss stuff, so if you want that, let me know as well.
  • I'm on EDT right now - that is GMT -5, I think, but it might be -4, given that it's DST where I am. Just so everyone knows.
  • Also, for those still building... Batman's fresh out of Robins at the moment. Any applicants?
As requested below, here's a brief synopsis of the continuity.
I wrote: The Regime has fallen - permanently. Between the Insurgency's successful overthrow a year ago, and the Brainiac Invasion shortly thereafter which resulted in their primary proponents being imprisoned - and mostly depowered. Superman himself was sent to the Phantom Zone after a magical ritual and golden kryptonite stripped him of his powers completely, while Wonder Woman was likewise exiled, but into Tartarus, where her powers avail her naught.

The New Justice League, with Batman at its head, is slowly rebuilding itself, while the people of the world strive to determine the shape the world shall take in the future. Bruce and Selina Wayne's wedding was seen as a sign of hope and rebirth in these dark days, and while many factions dispute over what the next steps ought to be, no one questions that the New Justice League will prove instrumental in ensuring that the people have the right to make that choice, free of fear of the Regime and other superhuman-backed societies like it.

Into this, young heroes must stride, discovering themselves even as they perform their heroic duties.

Timeline of Recent Events
  • Year One
  • Joker forces Superman to kill Lois Lane and his unborn child, and the rest of Metropolis dies with them.
  • Superman kills Joker, taking the first steps on his path to becoming a tyrant.
  • Superman removes dozens of prisoners from Arkham, placing them in a “secure place” and killing a few of them. Damien Wayne kills (accidentally) Nightwing, when he throws his staff at the back of his neck.
  • The Titans – Superboy, Wonder Girl, Starfire, and Red Robin – are exiled into the Phantom Zone when Superboy lashes out at Superman and Superman breaks his ribs, piercing his heart. There they remain for the duration of the upcoming war.
  • Apokolips invades, and Superman kills Darkseid’s son.
  • Batman founds what will eventually become the Insurgency, and Superman declares him a criminal.
  • Batman, Black Canary, Catwoman, and Green Arrow all arrive at the Fortress of Solitude. Superman thinks that the team out to steal the green pill is actually there to hurt his parents, and beats Ollie to death with his bare hands when he accidentally hurts Pa Kent.
  • Superman pulls a Bane and breaks Batman’s back, after publicly revealing his identity.
  • Wonder Woman is cast into a coma by the death of Captain Atomic, as he tries to kill Superman.
  • Sinestro kills Kyle Rayner, destroying his ring, before going down to Earth, where he “surrenders” to Superman.
    Year Two
  • The Green Lanterns and the Guardians decide that Superman has become a threat, and order his arrest.
  • John Stewart and Hal Jordan refuse to be held on Oa whilst Superman is being imprisoned, and fly back to Earth.
  • John is killed by Sinestro, who blames Guy Gardener, driving Hal Jordan into a rage that causes him to kill Gardener, and taints him.
  • Sinestro blackmails Hal into accepting a yellow ring when Hal loses his green ring whilst flying and holding Carol Ferris due to Ganthet’s revocation of his title at the worst time, and the two eventually convince Superman to accept a yellow ring himself.
  • Flash, Damien Wayne, Cyborg, and Raven are all captured.
    Year Three
  • John Constantine, whose daughter’s mother died due to the war with the Green Lanterns, escapes to Doctor Fate’s Tower alongside her.
  • He gathers Detective Chimp and bargains with demons – revealing to him and Batman that he’s holding Raven.
  • The Spectre aligns itself with Superman, despite his tyrannical ways.
  • Superman is cast into a deep coma-like sleep, even as Wonder Woman awakens from hers.
  • Superman gives up the yellow ring to Diana, awakened by Ares’ magic, and Wonder Woman crushes it.
  • Superman comes to rescue the imprisoned Regime allies, only to be faced by Trigon.
  • Mr. Mxyzptlk reveals that he was masquerading as the Spectre the entire time, protecting his investment in annoying Superman, and the battle spirals out of control.
  • Huntress dies as Wonder Woman breaks her neck with the lasso of truth.
    Year Four
  • The Greek Gods decide, on Ares’ manipulations, to war with Superman.
  • In a contest of champions intended to be to the death, Wonder Woman is forced to fight Superman as Zeus himself watches on. She breaks Superman's arm, and is nearer to victory than any before her before Sinestro blasts her, destroying the sanctity of the trial by combat.
  • The results are rather predictable, and Superman (somehow) wins his war with the gods.
    Year Five
  • Nightwing, now the new Deadman, for some inscrutable reason known only to him, gives Damien (the little brat) his Nightwing outfit.
  • Batman and Lex Luthor work together to prepare to create a way to summon the Justice League of an uncorrupted Earth, and Batwoman dies to help do just that.
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us takes place - Gotham City is destroyed, the Metropolis that was rebuilt is destroyed.
    Year Six
  • The Regime has fallen, but Jason Todd takes the mantle of Batman, and creates his own Suicide Squad in service to Ra’s al Ghul’s ecoterrorist organization, one that gradually morphs into Grodd’s Society.
  • Kara Zor-El arrives on Earth, and is quickly taken into Khandaq, where Wonder Woman (once freed by renegade Amazons), Black Adam, and Damien Wayne (the brat) indoctrinate her with their point of view.
  • Tim Drake dies when Dru-Zod escapes the Phantom Zone alongside the Titans and kills him, only to be executed himself by the AMAZO android that Ra’s and the others.
  • The AMAZO android destroys Dhubai very nearly, with only a combined effort of the victorious Insurgents, the returned Titans, and the defeated Regime Remnants, culminating in Supergirl destroying it on the Moon.
  • Injustice 2 takes place, and Batman wins his battle with Superman.
  • Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle are married, though not without its unique crashers – Athanasia al Ghul, Damien Wayne, and other supervillains attempt to crash the party, but fail.
  • The reconstruction of Gotham, Coast City, and Metropolis are getting back up on their feet.
  • Injustice: Absolute (Young) Justice begins.
The New Justice League
  • Batman - Publicly known to be Bruce Wayne, Batman is one of the leaders of the New League.
  • Catwoman - Though only a nominal member, Selina Wayne is a part of the Justice League nowadays. Who'd've thunk?
  • Harleen Quinzel - When she's not running her own gang of vigilantes (Harleen's Horde) in New Gotham, Harleen serves as Batman's second fairly often.
  • Supergirl - As Superman's cousin, Kara Zor-El works to redeem her family's symbol in the eyes of the Earth.
  • Black Canary
  • Green Arrow - From another dimension where he lost his own Dinah, Oliver Queen remains in the New Justice League, and is a part of the circle of wealthy rebuilders of the world.
  • Green Lantern - Though still unpopular on Earth, Green Lantern has redeemed himself in the eyes of the Guardians (somehow), and once again Hal Jordan serves as the Green Lantern of the sector.
  • Zatanna - The New League's prime magician, Zatanna works to keep many of the prisoners locked in the late Dr. Fate's tower. She helped to depower Superman earlier this year.
  • Firestorm
  • The Ghost - As part of his ongoing efforts to redeem himself, Barry Allen has adopted the name of Ghost, until such a time as he feels worthy of being the Flash once more.
  • Steel - In the wake of her uncle's death, Natasha Irons took on the role of Steel, and remains as a member of the New Justice League.
The Titans
The Titans current primary mission is hunting down Damien Wayne to bring him (brutally) to justice for his crimes during the Regime's reign, as well as for the manslaughter of Dick Greyson. Starfire in particular is absolutely burning with rage about the whole matter.
  • Starfire
  • Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark)
  • Superboy
  • Batgirl
  • Miss Martian
  • Blue Beetle
  • The Atom (Ryan Choi)
  • Empress
Current Roster Submissions so Far
Submissions wrote:
Last edited by endwaar on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 41 times in total.
Awaken

Injustice: Absolute (Young) Justice OOC IC
MacynSnow

Re: Injustice: Absolute (Young) Justice [M&M 3e Interest Check]

Post by MacynSnow »

Couple of things;

1) Vien Venu, welcome to the community and i hope you have simply Gads of fun....:D

2) I am certainly intrested in this idea and would like to call immediate Dibs on either Speedy(Roy Harper) or forgotten Titan character Golden Eagle(Charley Parker)....
Last edited by MacynSnow on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Put me down as tentatively interested.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
endwaar

Post by endwaar »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:41 pm Couple of things;

1) Vien Venu, welcome to the community and i hope you have simply Gads of fun....:D

2) I am certainly intrested in this idea and would like to call immediate Dibs on either Speedy(Roy Harper) or forgotten Titan character Golden Eagle(Charley Parker)....
Oh, thank you! And both of those are open. Um. Obviously. As you are the first person to comment. I'm kind of feeling like I'm digging myself deeper here, so I'm gonna quit whilst I'm still behind.
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 pm Put me down as tentatively interested.
Certainly.
Awaken

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

^_^ Welcome to the boards. Congrats on deciding to run a game. Fair warning, it is not something for the faint of heart, but it is doable and we have had people come in and successfully run games without a long tenure here.

Once you move to recruiting, I'll cross-post this to the games thread on the other board (we no longer post interest threads for historical reasons related to a high rate of churn).

Until then, I'd recommend reading through the games here and on the other board to get an idea of the conventions of how things get run. It's not adamant rules, but it is what people have come to expect.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Welcome to the board!

What Power Level and how many Power Points were you thinking?

Could the more DC-impaired among us get a one-two paragraph description of what this continuity looks like at the time of the game?
On a related note, what was the tone you were shooting for with this game? Dark and gritty like Injustice, or something more hopeful with a world on the rebound?
endwaar

Post by endwaar »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:07 pm ^_^ Welcome to the boards. Congrats on deciding to run a game. Fair warning, it is not something for the faint of heart, but it is doable and we have had people come in and successfully run games without a long tenure here.

Once you move to recruiting, I'll cross-post this to the games thread on the other board (we no longer post interest threads for historical reasons related to a high rate of churn).

Until then, I'd recommend reading through the games here and on the other board to get an idea of the conventions of how things get run. It's not adamant rules, but it is what people have come to expect.
Understood! My mistake then, but I shall strive for the stars and doubtlessly tumble and bruise myself. Oh well. Anyways, I appreciate your guidance, and hope that I won't make any super-big errors. I'll definitely get to looking.
Nunya B wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:13 pm Welcome to the board!

What Power Level and how many Power Points were you thinking?

Could the more DC-impaired among us get a one-two paragraph description of what this continuity looks like at the time of the game?
On a related note, what was the tone you were shooting for with this game? Dark and gritty like Injustice, or something more hopeful with a world on the rebound?
Thanks to both of you for the warm welcomes.

Okay, for Power Level and Points, I'm less than certain, because the PL could be all over the place. My assumption is that PL 10 is a good starting point, but I'm not entirely sure that there won't be canons who are higher or lower than that - not much, usually only PL 8-11, I think, but there might be some issues, so I'm adopting a wait-and-see posture, as well as being open to suggestions.

With regards to the latter question, yes - I'll put something together to post in the first post shortly. Tonally, it's a mixed bag, I think - I am aiming towards a rebound in hope, but there will be some darker stuff - nothing that'd break beyond the rules of the forum, of course, but some dark stuff. Dying is a risk, if not a great one, and there won't be any super-resurrections.
Awaken

McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Welcome to the forums! :D

I'm interested in playing, no solid ideas yet.

PL 10 is often the default starting point and good for well-rounded starting heroes. Teen hero games sometimes start at PL 8 as the sidekicks/students or similar younger heroes still often have room to grow and evolve and might not be quite as powerful as say their mentors.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Thank you for getting that setting overview up!

I am conditionally interested:
- Being not a DC person, I'm not really interested in digging through DC canon characters to find one to play. I believe you're open to original characters though, if I'm reading the OP correctly?
- I've been apping for a bunch of PL8 120PP games and am burned out on the constraints thereof. I am not particularly interested in another. I do have a PL8 160PP character I'd love to run, even if it was in a PL9 game (eg, trade a PL for some PP).
- I would be interested in a PL10 150PP or higher game.
Last edited by Nunya B on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

Color me interested. I stopped reading the comic a while back, but might go ahead and hunt it down for inspiration. I wonder if the series ever did anything with Rann, Thanagar, or Skartaris.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Curbludgeon wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:40 pm Color me interested. I stopped reading the comic a while back, but might go ahead and hunt it down for inspiration. I wonder if the series ever did anything with Rann, Thanagar, or Skartaris.
Weirdly enough they only mentioned it briefly with Hawkgirl/woman when she allied with the Regime.That's why i myself was thinking of using a lesser known Hawkman supporting cast member.If you want to use Golden Eagle instead,your more than welcome to(that's why i called double dibs with Speedy,just in case:D ).
Toast Burglar

Post by Toast Burglar »

A DC Adventure set in the post-regime Injustice universe? Color me interested.

A DC World which not only sees Superman as a villain, but in which he was depowered, and then dimensionally exiled, sounds like my favorite offshoot yet!
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I might be interested depending on what you settle on for the final set-up. I tend to dislike playing canon characters, I much prefer originals where I have the freedom to make them the way I envision them. With canon characters there always feels like a certain expectation for personality and behavior and so on.

Standard PL10/150pp would be great, but I'm really flexible.
endwaar

Post by endwaar »

Okay, so, having read through the stuff above, I'm inclined to say that we'll do a PL 10/PP 150 game.

Also, I'm gonna probably open this up to recruitment tomorrow, since tonight I'm already starting to slow down.
Toast Burglar wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 am A DC Adventure set in the post-regime Injustice universe? Color me interested.

A DC World which not only sees Superman as a villain, but in which he was depowered, and then dimensionally exiled, sounds like my favorite offshoot yet!
I'm not very fond of Superman myself, and am more intrigued to explore what his absence means than what his presence means, if that makes sense. It may not. As I mentioned above, tired and out of it.

I've also updated the OP to say that originals are allowed more explicitly.
Awaken

endwaar

Re: Injustice: Absolute (Young) Justice [M&M 3e Recruitment]

Post by endwaar »

I have opened recruitment. See some more details up in the OP.
Awaken