What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
saint_matthew

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by saint_matthew »

What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics?

Apparently a 150% price hike on DC titles with 5G: According to rumors the new price at DC will be $7.99.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

What I've heard from one source is that DC's 5G will have the monthly books filled with younger replacement heroes for the classic DC heroes. Said classic heroes like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman will instead be appearing in "prestige format books" that will be a bit thicker and cost the 8 bucks you mentioned.

So DC will essentially be flooding their books with "hip new heroes" and force people to pay extra for the characters they actually enjoy.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

"Fire, Ready, Aim!!!"
Davies

Post by Davies »

Somewhat amusingly, the big finale of Event Leviathan was spoiled a month ago by DC's screwy Jimmy Olsen book. Which speaks volumes of the amount of editorial oversight that the company possesses. Or possibly they've stopped pretending to care.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:05 pm Somewhat amusingly, the big finale of Event Leviathan was spoiled a month ago by DC's screwy Jimmy Olsen book. Which speaks volumes of the amount of editorial oversight that the company possesses. Or possibly they've stopped pretending to care.
I'm flipped through the Jimmy Olsen book, and it basically looked like everything I hate about Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool all on steroids.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how did it end?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:15 pm
Davies wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:05 pm Somewhat amusingly, the big finale of Event Leviathan was spoiled a month ago by DC's screwy Jimmy Olsen book. Which speaks volumes of the amount of editorial oversight that the company possesses. Or possibly they've stopped pretending to care.
I'm flipped through the Jimmy Olsen book, and it basically looked like everything I hate about Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool all on steroids.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how did it end?
As Jimmy said, Leviathan is Manhunter (Mark Shaw) completely ignoring any previous characterization he has ever received. He gets exposed in the Daily Planet, and says, "okay, fine, I'll burn the world instead of fixing it". Cue "To Be Continued in some other comic".
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Since I don't know where else to ask, anybody been watching Watchmen on HBO?
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:44 pmSince I don't know where else to ask, anybody been watching Watchmen on HBO?
A Watchemn tv show? You dear sir are clearly mistaken, there is no show about the Watchmen on HBO.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And just to prove that I can post here without whining about the current state of comics:

This is a thing that exists. I don't want to spoil anything about it, but it was a VERY fun, classic Marvel-style story with Black Cat as the main character and narrator. Solid recommend for anyone interested.

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

The Black Cat series has been fun reading so far, restoring Felicia Hardy to her proper personality and role in the MU, along with differentiating the character further from the far better known Catwoman. It gives her a proper gang and establishes Black Cat's history with other super-thieves of the setting. So far, its been an enjoyable respite from many of the more too-serious titles out there.

All my best.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Ares wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 pmSolid recommend for anyone interested.
I'll give it a look-see.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I gotta admit, I've never really liked Gwenpool, but this bit made me laugh:

I'm not a fan of meta-humor in general, but basically admitting that Gwen has no consistent characterization got a chuckle out of me. The part where her and her creator make fun of Grant Morrison got a chuckle out of me as well.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Just so this thread isn't ENTIRELY kvetching, I finally got around to reading some of my pull-file again (I... accidentally dumped the new books under the older ones I'd already read), and damn, Captain Marvel is REALLY good.

Kelly Thompson wrote the phenomenal Jem & the Holograms book, so this ended up in my file, and I tried it out. It's... old-school comics- heroes bickering while kicking ass. First she leads a revolution against the Nuclear Man (aka Makhizmo of all people), who's trying to build a super-harem in a blocked-off part of New York, and then she has her mind switched with Dr. Strange, and the two are giant pains in the ass to each other, bickering while Black Widow snarks at them. Great stuff.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

A great little bit from Savage Avengers #8

Davies

Post by Davies »

So Doomsday Clock is over.

Yeah, I think I'll just leave it at ... well, no. Writing thinly veiled 'fix fic' about celebrities whom you admire and who died decades before you were born is not the act of a well man. I'll leave it at that.