What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
NoOneofConsequence

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

I look at that fan art of Dick, Kori, and Mari and think: "Why is DC not offering me this as a monthly comic? I might actually pay $4 a month for that."

But then I'm the same person who wondered why the first thing out of Disney after buying Star Wars wasn't an animated series about kids at a new Jedi Academy run by Luke, so what do I know.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm I look at that fan art of Dick, Kori, and Mari and think: "Why is DC not offering me this as a monthly comic? I might actually pay $4 a month for that."
Same here.
NoOneofConsequence wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm But then I'm the same person who wondered why the first thing out of Disney after buying Star Wars wasn't an animated series about kids at a new Jedi Academy run by Luke, so what do I know.
Also this.
Mark Hammel is a voice actor too, you could have real Luke!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Young Justice animated series and the CW “Arrow ‘Verse” series all started at roughly the same time as “The New 52.”

Every episode of those shows just left me wondering why I couldn’t be reading comics set in either of those universes instead of the Giant Pile of Bleh that was the mainstream comics continuity.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:01 pm Rage just wasn't ready Emotionally for it yet(that's always been my Major Beef with Batson's transformed look: He's too "Adult" to hang w/teen's his own age, but not Mentally prepared to hang w/Adult's)
Batson's "transformed look" wasn't meant to hang with anyone. If Billy wants to hang out with people his own age, he reverts to Billy. And the Captain isn't meant for social encounters with adults. Whiz Comics #15, the Captain tries. He takes Beautia on a date. And people start picking fights with him. It gets weirded when, since he's faced with danger, the Captain says the S-word and turns back into Billy!!!

The idea of super heroes just sitting around chilling together never crossed Bill Parker, or the old wizard's mind.

Even Mary and Freddy who don't shift age like Billy (or at least they didn't) didn't go around in their super hero forms. Heck, Freddy had a bum leg, and Junior still reverted back to Freddy.

With great power comes great responsibility. The Batsons and Freddy never said it, but they lived it! Being the world's mightiest mortals was what they became when they needed it, not when they wanted it. And if they tried, karma would bite them in their red cheesy behinds.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:17 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 pm Did I miss something? Like, was she kidnapped by the Khunds or Ra's al Ghul or some other baddie when she was an infant and purposefully raised by supervillains to be a selfish prick?
Worse. Her mom is a popular, classically attractive heroine that everyone loves. The only way to respond to such an injustice, regardless of the love, attention and care she would have doubtlessly been given, is to be super edgy.

*SNORT* Sad but true.
Ares wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:17 pmImage
There are only two main things wrong with this cartoon.
1) Kory's starbolt isn't red-orange (darn you cartoon network!) and it doesn't go SKEEEEEEEEEEE!!

2) Babs would be a better life partner for Dick.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Now that depends on Opinion ken. I can honestly see him with either one as a life partner. While i personally perfer Kory(she has a much more upbeat attitude and will stand up to Bats, if need be), Barbara Gordon would be just as viable an option.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:58 am 2) Babs would be a better life partner for Dick.

Hmmmm. . . .

Ares wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:51 pm

We will have to agree to disagree.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:09 am Now that depends on Opinion ken. I can honestly see him with either one as a life partner. While i personally perfer Kory(she has a much more upbeat attitude and will stand up to Bats, if need be), Barbara Gordon would be just as viable an option.
Are you implying that Barbara Gordon would not stand up to Bruce? Wha—!? Babs created the mantle of the Batgirl without Bruce’s permission, ran for (and won) a seat in Congress against his wishes, retired against his wishes, created the Oracle persona without his input, created the Birds of Prey against his wishes, ripped him a new one during No Man’s Land when he tried to make Helena the next Batgirl... and so on and so forth.

I’m team #DickBabs all the way. So is the Batman:

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Besides, the obvious solution is for Dick, Babs, and Kori to relocate off-world for a little why and embrace the polyamorous cultural heritage of Tamaran.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

This is one of those discussions where I think that both ends will work... on the condition of finding a good way to tie up the other loose end.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

They tied it up rather well in the Arkham Games(Babs got married to an older Tim Drake while Dick got Kory), but they had to play with the Timeline a bit to do it.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Tim!?

Yowza. The pre-Crisis relationship between Babs and Dick was already pretty “Mrs. Robinson-y” given that she was at least ten years his senior (Babs had earned her Masters degree and was well established in her career long before her debut as a hero. Dick hadn’t even graduated high school yet. She even got elected to Congress before Dick finished college.)

Post-Crisis continuity erased her time in Congress and made them a little closer in age (by virtue of hand-waving Dick’s tenure as Robin to a vaguely shorter period of time in a vaguely defined past) but kept her having been working as a librarian before she became Batgirl and that he was still Robin when that happened. Which again, means she must have held a Master’s Degree.

Post-Flashpoint in the “New 52” the writers decided to stupidly make her a university student and it was a repeated plot point that she was struggling with her classes. This made zero sense and was apparently done just to make her the same age as Dick... who was now an older adult running around working as an Agent of S.H.I.E... er... Agent of Spyral. Yeah, it was dumb.

DC has had like eighty reboots since then and I no longer pay attention.

Dick and Babs. Tim and Steph. Accept no substitutes.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Yeah I can't see Babs having less than 15 years on Tim. That pairing makes no sense at all. I have to say I prefer Dick and Barbara being about the same age, probably because I never did any pre-Crisis reading
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’ve always kinda reconciled the age difference as having head canon that Babs finished her Masters Degree quite young (she’s canonically a genius with an eidetic memory) and that Dick started university a few years late (he was busy being the Boy Wonder). So she was probably “about thirty” when she debuted as Batgirl and Dick was “about twenty” when he became Nightwing. Leaving an age gap that was “about ten years.”

But Tim was always “about fifteen” when he became Robin. So him hooking up with Barbara would just be creepy.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Even though I know the age gap isn't supposed to be that big, the Bruce/Barbara pairing creeps me out as much as a potential Barbara/Tim pairing.

Then again, I prefer Dick and Kory and like the Ted Kord/Barbara they had going at one point.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.