He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse

Post by Ares »

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/08/16/he- ... dc-comics/

https://screenrant.com/he-man-comics-ma ... ultiverse/
Prepare yourselves, He-Man fans, for a brand new adventure starring Eternia’s greatest champion in the newly announced He-Man and The Masters of The Multiverse. The six-issue limited series debuting this November from writer Tim Seeley, artists Dan Fraga and Richard Friend, and cover artist Inhyuk Lee. Together, they'll be telling an epic last stand of great heroes protecting their kingdoms against an impossible threat. A threat so terrible, He-Man will be forced to forge an alliance with his greatest nemesis: Skeletor.

The scourge of Anti-Eternia is unleashed on the Multiverse bent on utter destruction. Each version of Eternia has fallen in the wake of his devastation as he steals its power and grows stronger. Now it’s up to a rag-tag team of surviving He-Men from across the multiverse to stem the tide, but to do so they’ll have to recruit the one man in existence that might help them win: Prince Keldor, the man who would be Skeletor!

"The Masters of the Universe franchise continues with the all-new comic book series, He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse," said Rob David, VP of Mattel. "With multiple He-Mans working together from different dimensions to save the multiverse, this series created in partnership with the expert writers and illustrators from DC Comics will be sure to delight new and old fans alike, while adding an entirely new dimension to the Power of Grayskull."

Fans can take a look at the first reality-fracturing cover art for He-Man and The Masters of The Multiverse by artist Inhyuk Lee below:

He-Man Masters Multiverse Comic

"DC has had a long-standing and exciting partnership with Mattel in bringing the adventures of He-Man to comics and our fans," said Hank Kanalz, SVP, Publishing Strategy and Support Services. "DC also knows what it means to showcase characters from across its own multiverse; I’m looking forward to seeing the different iterations of He-Man and other Masters of the Universe characters in this series."

Will this squad of He-Men be able to do what He-Man alone can not? Or will it be Skeletor a.k.a. Prince Keldor who tips the scales? We'll find out when the series begins in November, so until then, read below for the full solicitation details and plot synopsis:
advertising

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE MULTIVERSE #1
Written by TIM SEELEY
Art by: DAN FRAGA, RICHARD FRIEND
Cover by INHYUK LEE
Variant Cover by DAN FRAGA

The scourge of Anti-Eternia is unleashed on the Multiverse! Blazing a trail across the dimensions, he’s devastating each version of Eternia and stealing its power. Now it’s up to a ragtag team of surviving He-Men to recruit the one man in existence who might save them: Prince Keldor, the man who would be Skeletor! This all-new miniseries features the most iconic eras and beloved takes on the Masters of the Universe!

He-Man and The Masters of The Multiverse #1 will arrive at your local comic book ship November 20th, 2019.
You know, after the ThunderCats and Injustice crossovers with He-Man, I am willing to give DC the benefit of the doubt. Plus the crossover junkie in me is squeeing at the thought of this.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Spectrum

Re: He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse

Post by Spectrum »

Curious. Very curious. Of course the first thing that came to my mind was whether they were going to have an (Anti)Monitor analog.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Davies

Post by Davies »

First issue came out yesterday. It's ... interesting, if a bit too obviously Spider-Verse influenced.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I enjoyed it. I could have done without the "Easter Special" version of He-Man, which is (as per Davies) a bit too much "Spider-Verse's Spider-Ham" type material. Curious to see where the writers go with the idea that there is only ONE evil version of He-Man in the multiverse and why.

All my best
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, the weird chibi-He-Man feels way too "Spider-Ham", especially since, to my knowledge, there really wasn't a He-Man like that. Unless that's suppose to be the original Filmation He-Man, which I hope isn't the case.

But the idea of a good Keldor and an evil He-Man is kind of interesting, so I'm eager to see where this goes. Using Live Action He-Man actually makes a lot of sense, since he actually had a dimension hopping device as part of his story.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Ares wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:36 am Yeah, the weird chibi-He-Man feels way too "Spider-Ham", especially since, to my knowledge, there really wasn't a He-Man like that. Unless that's suppose to be the original Filmation He-Man, which I hope isn't the case.

But the idea of a good Keldor and an evil He-Man is kind of interesting, so I'm eager to see where this goes. Using Live Action He-Man actually makes a lot of sense, since he actually had a dimension hopping device as part of his story.
Which is referenced pretty heavily.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I love the concept of a multiversal He-Man story, given the various takes on the franchise we've seen.

- There's the first series of mini-comics where He-Man was more of a barbarian and his vests had two different settings (one for super-strength, one for a personal force field), and where Skeletor was basically the point man for a race of Skeleton Men who were from another dimension and wanted to invade Eternia.
- Then there was the second set that made He-Man more of a protector of the realm, introduced Ram-Man, Trap-Jaw, Tri-Clops and the concept of joining the two halves of the Power Sword. We also got the concept of Teela being Man-At-Arms adopted daughter, and a nifty idea that Teela was created by Skeletor basically draining part of the Sorceress' life energy to create a child he would raise to be his entry into Castle Greyskull. So Skeletor was doing the whole Morrigan/Lilith thing way before Darkstalkers/Capcom.
-Then DC Comics He-Man, which I think introduced the idea of Prince Adam changing to He-Man
-Then Filmation He-Man
-The Post-Filmation mini-comics that combined the Show and Toy Line
-Then Live Action Movie He-Man
-The New Adventures of He-Man, aka He-Man iiIIN SPAAAAAACCCCCE
-Then 2002 He-Man (one of the best takes on the franchise for my money)
-Then 2012 DC Comics He-Man, which has gone through several iterations and at least one variant was used for a ThunderCats/He-Man and Injustice/He-Man crossover.
- The various Video Game He-Man's, which would technically include Mobile App He-Man, which I just learned is the chibi/Easter He-Man who speaks only in references to his games.

It's a fun concept, and like I said, I actually like Movie He-Man is the one traveling the mutliverse for help, as it makes sense with the Cosmic Key. Mobile App He-Man is basically included for dumb comedy, and feels very much like they just wanted their own version of Spider-Ham. He honestly feels like a waste, and if they wanted more comedy they could have just included a version of Orko, whose magic could actually prove useful here.

I'm glad that if they felt the need to kill a He-Man to set the stakes for the crossover, I'm glad they went with a generic universe version. It's a step up from the Spider-Verse Comic, which immediately killed of "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" Spider-Man and "Marvel vs Capcom" Spider-Man in what appears to be pure spite.

For my money's worth, it'd be fun and easy to be get a lot of these versions of He-Man to work.

- Pre-Filmation Mini-Comic He-Man is powerful, but more in the Conan sense, and requires his harness for either superhuman strength or a force field. I'd have it here that he can switch between the force field or superstrength rather than having one harness for each power. He's got more of a Conan / Thundarr style barbarian attitude, but is still very noble and heroic. He's much more home in the wildnerness, can function as a tracker, makes use of ambush tactics, and has a lot of D&D Barbarian / Ranger style skills and fighting tactics. He's tied with Movie He-Man for being the best fighter of the bunch.
- Filmation He-Man has the most raw physical power, is the most noble and a natural leader. He's got a very Superman / Capt. America / Optimus Prime vibe to him that the others respect and they immediately follow hislead.
- Post-Filmation Mini-Comic He-Man isn't as powerful as Filmation He-Man, but he would be able to switch between his various action figure variants for unique power boosts. He switches to Battle Armor/Battle Damage for more armor/durability, to Thunder Punch for more striking power, Flying Fists for rapid attacks, etc. Make him kind of the Kamen Rider of the He-Men.
- Live Action He-Man is the physically weakest of the bunch, being essentially Pre-Filmation Mini-Comic He-Man, but without the super strength harness. However, he makes up for it by being as good a fighter, and having the broadest range of skills. He tends to fight smarter, makes use of a wider range of weapons, carrying around a gun for ranged combat. He's also got a better grasp of technology, making him fairly versatile.
- New Adventures He-Man also isn't as powerful as Filmation He-Man, but his sword has a lot more diverse powers, to the point of having new powers as the plot requires. He's also got access to the most advanced technology.
- 2002 He-Man is almost as powerful as Filmation He-Man, but is a better fighter. Since Adam here is younger than the other Prince Adam's, he's also the one most likely to crack jokes, be impulsive, etc. He actually enjoys having the other He-Men around and uses it as an excuse to relax a little, let someone else be in charge and joke a bit more. But when things get serious, he proves himself as dependable as any other He-Man.

Things like that. Showcase each of them having their own specialization, have them have difficulty working together at first, etc.

The Evil He-Man thing is a concept I'm kind of iffy on, but I'm willing to see how it plays out. Overall, fingers crossed that this doesn't suck.