Batman / Ninja Turtles Trilogy

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Batman / Ninja Turtles Trilogy

Post by Ares »

I just finished reading the third installment of the Batman / Ninja Turtles crossovers, and it's amazing how the writer, James Tynion IV, really gets the characters and does such a great job of making the two franchises blend together. Part 3 especially deserves a shout out for reminding everyone of one simple fact: Batman has NEVER been alone. He's always had a family that he fights for and which supports him.

Overall I'd really recommend all three miniseries. They aren't perfect, but they're a lot of fun.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Re: Batman / Ninja Turtles Trilogy

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 pm I just finished reading the third installment of the Batman / Ninja Turtles crossovers, and it's amazing how the writer, James Tynion IV, really gets the characters and does such a great job of making the two franchises blend together. Part 3 especially deserves a shout out for reminding everyone of one simple fact: Batman has NEVER been alone. He's always had a family that he fights for and which supports him.

Overall I'd really recommend all three miniseries. They aren't perfect, but they're a lot of fun.
I think that Batman has never been alone, but has always kept most people at arm's length. The only two glaring exceptions are Alfred and Dick.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 pm I just finished reading the third installment of the Batman / Ninja Turtles crossovers, and it's amazing how the writer, James Tynion IV, really gets the characters and does such a great job of making the two franchises blend together. Part 3 especially deserves a shout out for reminding everyone of one simple fact: Batman has NEVER been alone. He's always had a family that he fights for and which supports him.

I think that Batman has never been alone, but has always kept most people at arm's length. The only two glaring exceptions are Alfred and Dick.
I'd disagree, as the degree to which Batman keeps people at arms length changes drastically on the era. I'd say that before 90's era DC, Batman was actually pretty close to people inside the Bat-Family, as well as his friends in the Justice League and his allies in the Outsiders. Basically, if Batman let you in on his secret identity, then he trusted you a good deal. This changes in the late 80s/early 90s, when they decided to really double down on Bruce being this dark loner, but I always felt his relationships with Alfred, Dick, Jason, Tim, Barbara, Cassandra, Clark, Diana and others was pretty solid.

It's my own preference for Batman, but I'd prefer that the only people that are scared of him are criminals, and the only people intimidated by him are civilians and people in the heroic community he isn't close to and doesn't fully trust. But to close friends and allies, I prefer more of a Bronze Age Batman who was actually capable of smiling and showing people affection in private.

Granted, that's my own preference, but I'm generally annoyed with much influence Frank Miller's portrayal of Batman had on the character.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

This speaks everything about the series and what made it so enjoyable.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I didn't realize until this crossover how much I needed a Batman vs Shredder fight in my life. Their animated fights were even better!