CW Superheroes: The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Sidious

Re: CW Superheroes: The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow

Post by Sidious »

Well that was an interesting opening.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Good interesting, Ancient Chinese Curse interesting, or just weird?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

not bad. I'm not expecting a comics direct retelling of the story, but they pulled off some good things. A couple of Cameos to start. gathering the heroes. Lots of Shadow Demons that just seem to do... nothing. Green Arrow had a focus, and then a surprise. I wont spoil the big moment. He does give his daughter her own costume so there's that. Also they've eliminated Earth-38.

Looking forward to tonight's ep.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I'll say good interesting.

Nice to see an ep of Supergirl that shows what the series could be...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Bladewind wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:54 amNice to see an ep of Supergirl that shows what the series could be...
That's the worst thing about the crossover, it shows how boring & samey the WB series really are as individual shows. How there is practically nothing superheroish in these shows, worse yet practically nothing human in them either.

I could tolerate the lack of focus on the superheroics if it focused on the human aspects of the characters, heck that's a functional description of The New Adventures of Lois & Clark & that show was pretty good back in the day. Heck it still stands the test of time now & is something you can watch again, that's not something that could be said about the WB shows.... No seriously, try going back to re-watch episodes now, they are essentially unwatchable.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Actually, I kind of disagree with you - oddly, not with what you're saying but how...

This ep of Supergirl, to me, was better than the series because it was more comic-like and superheroic than the series normally is.
Supergirl has gotten really preachy in a blunt, over your head with Harley Quinn's mallet kind of way.

It started in season three when they referenced "building a wall" - when in fact, they had an alien president who was working towards inclusivity rather than division... (political debate is not what I'm looking for, its just that... "the wall" would not exist on Earth 38)

In this ep, the focus was on Supergirl rather than her supporting cast. And while I love character development as much as the next person, the whole thing with Lena (for instance) is just dumb.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I'm just really interested in if they will be doing the fight at the Dawn of Time bit.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Haven't explored too many sites, but I bet Tom Welling fans are peeved...
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

The battle at the dawn of time should be epic.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

It could be... considering they just introduced the Specter (well, in Batwoman)

And that scene where Kara sees Ray... who is actually Superman... I admit, I chuckled.
I do think that Brandon as Supes was underused...

What really got me though was the death of the Flash. It was both great and pathetic all at once. Pathetic that an eight year build up was taken care of on a technicality, great that they used the 90s Flash theme and a clip from that show...
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Ugggg, 3 and a half episodes in & sweet jesus, they have completely given up on writing anything at all coherent. Though it is amazing to see an entire event made up of nothing but plot holes, plot padding, out of character writing & easter eggs.

Like Ollie giving Mia a Green Arrow costume, while on Earth 38.... Hey Ollie, where'd you get the costume from? because you were teleported to Earth 38 by Harbinger & you didn't have it with you when she teleported you. So did you have a female Green Arrow costume stashed their Ollie, you know, just in case your daughter from the future came back to the past & you felt the need to pass on the legacy while on an adventure in Earth 38?

Or why did you all just leave Ollies soul with a random dude you'd never met before, in purgatory, without asking things like "who the fuck are you", "why the fuck are you in purgatory", "why the fuck should we trust you with the soul of our friend Ollie" & "is the thing you need him for more or less important than saving all of reality?" I mean you'd think those would be some pretty important questions to ask, wouldn't you. Nah it'll be okay, the guy had glowing eyes, that's almost as compelling as answering those basic questions.

Or why did you go get an alternate version of the Wave Rider, when you could just have got the Wave Rider? And if you got an alternate version of the Wave Rider, why not travel back in time to use a lazarus pit, rather than to another reality?

Also, why is Superman so completely & utterly useless? Seriously, he's the worlds greatest hero? You wouldn't know it to watch this, because in this he demonstrates zero personality. Did Lex zap him with a personality removal ray? Is he under the effect of beige kryptonite?
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Bladewind wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:54 pm Haven't explored too many sites, but I bet Tom Welling fans are peeved...
Many are, though some believe it is a fitting ending for the character as portrayed in the Smallville series. In my head canon, Tom Welling's Clark/Kal-El is content to relinquish his powers because since the end of the series (and the "11th season" comic), the world is at peace and well-protected, without the need for a Superman. Remember, Lex Luthor is (apparently) reformed, Darkseid was defeated, and the world has quite a few other superhuman protectors-Aquaman, Cyborg, a Flash (either Jay Garrick or a returned Bart Allen),Batman, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes),Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, the Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, Zatanna, and a revitalized Justice Society, including Dr. Fate, a Green Lantern, and Stargirl. And I'm sure Clark has a means of reacquiring his powers if necessary (Kryptonian technology did so previously in the series).

Oh-and I just realized, a neat little tie-in; in the Smallville-verse, Earth-2 was the home of a couple alignment-reversed characters, namely the criminal Ultraman version of Kal-El, essentially swapping with Earth-3 for that distinction. The Arrowverse continued that concept, with the heroes-as-villains on Earth-2 (Zoom, Death Storm, Black Siren, etc).

All my best.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Saw parts four and five... Dawn of Time (part four) was a little on the disappointing side for me, but
The whole thing wraps up too quickly IMO, but it wasn't that bad...

* Spoilers ? *

I loved the ending of though. I mean seriously, they already had the building looking like the Hall of Justice and then they ended with the 70s Superfriends theme !

By the looks of it, they turned all the multi-verses of the Arrowverse into one world, and then built a multiverse out from there. Was a nice touch to see a Brandon Routh Superman in the montage. Don't understand why Doom Patrol and Titans aren't on the same Earth though...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Bladewind wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 am
By the looks of it, they turned all the multi-verses of the Arrowverse into one world, and then built a multiverse out from there. Was a nice touch to see a Brandon Routh Superman in the montage. Don't understand why Doom Patrol and Titans aren't on the same Earth though...
I haven't watched either show, but from what I understand, the link-up between the two shows was vague at best. So now they can both have their own versions of Cyborg without contradicting each other.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Wowser, was that ever a convoluted mess. And talk about an anti-climactic ending. Not to mention all the giant plot holes, like how easy the shadow demons were to kill & yet you are expecting me to believe that they could still kill Ollie?

I mean Not-The-Atom is capable of kicking them to death with a single kick, without powers, but Ollie got killed by them? That's like if Chuck Norris got killed by an onslaught of soap bubbles.

Or that bullshit conclusion where The Spectre Deus Ex Machina the entire thing, totally invalidating the entire "paragons" thing, rendering the first 3 episodes of this special redundant.

Or the fact that the entire paragons thing was bullshit to start with since Lex wasn't a paragon & yet functioned as one any way.