Captain Marvel MCU

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
BlueBiscuit

Re: Captain Marvel MCU

Post by BlueBiscuit »

I liked the movie, and I will say this: I have never liked any of Marvel's various Captain Marvels in any of the stories I've read with one of them. I found them all pretty bad at worst, forgettable at best, Carol included.

So at the very least, this movie has the only take on the character that I've found actually likeable, so gets a +1 for that.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:05 pm Yeah, unfortunately the only thing that a big box office really means is that a sequal is likely.

I can think of a large number of high grossing movies which are... really quite bad.
And a lot of really low grossing movies that were really quite good.

But at the end of the day the movie companies are more interested in money than quality.

But I can't really say anything, because had Serenity made big money in the Box Office I'd have been shouting about it from the mountain tops :lol:
That depends. See, part of the issue is that a lot of people were told that you had to see Cap Marv to understand End Game. Thing is, various rumours (And I want to stress these are RUMOURS) are coming up about how none of the old actors are happy with the new focus, there's also a perception that the MCU is dead after End Game, a lot of people are speaking of it as an end of the era. There's also talk of reshoots, some of which claim to lessen Cap Marv's Influence.

But the entire Cap Marv movie thing has been insane.

But here's the thing, what we should be watching is how well the NEXT film in the franchise is doing. It's like Solo and The Last Jedi, there was enough of a backlash that affected Solo's showing. Honestly, Solo isn't that bad a film, it's mostly forgettable, but the fan dislike of TLJ (which some of the... Ah... Access Media, I'll call 'em, claim was the cause of a internet trolls, which is laughable, because that would barely scrape up 50k, and Solo lost at least 80 million) caused most of the fan base to not watch it.

We're in a similar situation with Captain Marvel, the movie itself was going to do well. (It did better than I thought it would, I figured it'd cap out at about 800m, but before finding out it apparently, needed 750m to break even according to a Deadline article) it's End Game we need to watch. Now, it's going to do well, no argument. But how is the audience going to react after Captain Marvel? That's what we need to see. Also, a lot of the interviews coming out are contradictory of late.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ares wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:49 pm
catsi563 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:39 pm *shrugs* meh just pointing out facts her current BO is still on going and with the weekend coming shes likely to hit the 1 billion mark. as for the so called 40k purge most of those as I showed earlier were posted before the movie even came out a number far in excess of what should have been given that IW barely had 50+k for its entire run.

Did I enjoy the movie sure I did. Hell it was one of the first in a long time I actually held debate with myself as to whether to see it in IMAX and pay the extra to do so. its been successful and I think deservedly so.
I've got no problem with you or anyone liking the film, given I thought the film was okay. I just find the repeated "well, if you ignore the criticisms, plot holes and controversies it's made a lot of money" comments very "Michael Bay". ;) No hard feelings.

I mean, a boycott was never going to work with Carol, and people trying for that were kidding themselves. It's the first MCU film of the year and the lead in to Endgame. There was no way it wasn't going to make bank.
Whoa.

Hold up.

You can say what you want to about Captain Marvel but by Odin, how dare you bring Michael Bay into this. That man is an American treasure!!!

He directed The Divinyls I Touch Myself video!!!

He taught us that there is gravity on asteroids!!!

He made explosions dialogue!!!

All hail Bay!!!
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Finally got around to watching Captain Marvel. It was good, kind of a throwback 90s film with uncomplicated good guys and bad guys (at least after the reveal), lots of fist fights and explosions, and a curbstomp battle at the end to ensure that we have no risk of thinking the hero in peril in the final act. While I appreciated the 90s vibe, I do agree that the film felt like it was shoehorned into continuity in a pretty clumsy way. It's got the feeling of the "this is the way things always were from now on" retcon that tend to set people's teeth on edge, when they could have just as easily established it as a "this was what happened when you weren't looking, but which does not change the existing canon".

Eh, I give it a B grade. I probably ought to have waited until it came out on DVD, then checked it out from the library.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

because the movies coming out in a week on DVD and this was just too funny :lol: :lol:

Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

though this isn't a bad follow up.

Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories