When did "Ugly Female Protagonists" become such a thing?

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
kirinke

Re: When did "Ugly Female Protagonists" become such a thing?

Post by kirinke »

Well with the Steven Universe example, the Gems aren't human. They have approximate human forms, but they aren't human. Heckfires, they aren't even organic! They're essentially sentient rocks.

The human characters have more normal appearances. None of them are models and they aren't supposed to be. They're supposed to represent normal people. Even Steven is a bit on the pudgy side, though in the Movie he did grow up and slim down some. He still has a normal build.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

kirinke wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:09 pm Well with the Steven Universe example, the Gems aren't human. They have approximate human forms, but they aren't human. Heckfires, they aren't even organic! They're essentially sentient rocks.
That might be the logic the creators used to get around Cartoon Network's usual practices, but it's fairly clear the Gems are meant to be female due to the voices, pronouns, etc. Much was made of the show having a "same sex wedding" and how LGBT positive it was. None of which I've got a problem with, as the show's creators actually made their own unique property to explore what they wanted to, rather than, say, taking a pre-existing franchise and changing it almost beyond recognition to promote an agenda *cough*NewSheRa*cough*.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Lol. True. I actually though the wedding of Sapphire and Ruby was well done. As you can guess, I'm a fan of Steven Universe. The over-all themes and storyline are very powerful and the characters are well thought out.

Battle Init
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

kirinke wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:05 pm Lol. True. I actually though the wedding of Sapphire and Ruby was well done. As you can guess, I'm a fan of Steven Universe. The over-all themes and storyline are very powerful and the characters are well thought out.
Very cool. I respect the heck out of shows like it and Adventure Time for taking a risk, doing their own thing and finding a fanbase.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Both of them are a heck of alot better than say Teen Titans Go.

Battle Init
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

kirinke wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:59 pm Both of them are a heck of alot better than say Teen Titans Go.
I've had agonizing bowel movements better than Teen Titans Go.

BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

If I have to choose between watching an episode of Go and a kick to the face... I'm thinking it over.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Lol. I've watched Teen Titans Go. It's stupid.

Battle Init
Shock

Post by Shock »

It's a target audience thing. In my experience kids 6-10 love it.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Shock wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:07 pm It's a target audience thing. In my experience kids 6-10 love it.
It's meant for the kids who still think jingling keys in their face is valid entertainment.

Serious the show is terrible, and I tend to be very forgiving of bad shows with little effort thrown in. I grew up when CNN had to suffer through both the Johnny Test marathons and CN Real, and neither of those are as cancerous as Teen Titans Go is.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Teen Titans Go has no redeeming qualities. I think the original Teen Titans had much better acting, scripts and storylines. Not to mention better animation.

Battle Init
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

kirinke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:28 am Teen Titans Go has no redeeming qualities. I think the original Teen Titans had much better acting, scripts and storylines. Not to mention better animation.
Technically not true, there is at least one unironically good thing that came from the show. The song Night Begins to Shine from one of like, 2 episodes where someone who actually gave a shit wrote the scripts.