Avengers End Game

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Bladewind

Re: Avengers End Game

Post by Bladewind »

Although I don`t totally agree with the notion of "what they did to the male characters" as you put it, I do get what you mean. I might've changed the phrase (not to take away from your perspective) to what they did to a certain mail character...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Bladewind wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:08 pm Although I don`t totally agree with the notion of "what they did to the male characters" as you put it, I do get what you mean. I might've changed the phrase (not to take away from your perspective) to what they did to a certain mail character...
Oh no, it wasn't just one. They insulted all BUT one. Again, I'm not going to spoil anything more.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Chris Brady wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:25 pm Oh no, it wasn't just one. They insulted all BUT one. Again, I'm not going to spoil anything more.
Fair.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I saw it and was blown away entirely. too most of the night to process what the movie meant to me.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Great film. Only two possibly three characters arcs brought to a close.

Left wide open for more films with most characters
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Anyone else think the Spiderman: Far From Home trailer was too soon?
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Bladewind wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:02 pm Anyone else think the Spiderman: Far From Home trailer was too soon?
No, they need to push this alternate universe thing so they can shove more female characters into our faces. Hopefully, they won't destroy Spider-Gwen, like they did with Captain Marvel, but I have no real hopes anymore.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Chris Brady wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:45 am
Bladewind wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:02 pm Anyone else think the Spiderman: Far From Home trailer was too soon?
No, they need to push this alternate universe thing so they can shove more female characters into our faces. Hopefully, they won't destroy Spider-Gwen, like they did with Captain Marvel, but I have no real hopes anymore.
I love how everybody seem to assume that Mysterio is telling the truth and the multiverse concept is true. Mysterio has always been about misderection and illusions.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Considering that there has been only one MCU film headlined by a female character, I would hardly say they have been shoving female characters in our faces.

Unless there is a massive change, I doubt the next batch of films will be predominantly female.
Woodclaw wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:47 pm
I love how everybody seem to assume that Mysterio is telling the truth and the multiverse concept is true. Mysterio has always been about misderection and illusions.
Could be a lie with an element of truth considering we have had hints of Captain Britain now.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

When will it be considered appropriate to openly discuss the film? I know the internet review "ban" on spoilers is over, but I don't wish to spoil anyone's enjoyment.

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I've got a "first two weeks are spoiler free" rule when it comes to new releases. After that point, you should feel free to discuss the film in total, as there's been ample time to check the film out and they should be avoiding threads like this if they still haven't seen it yet.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Corrigon wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:00 pm
Considering that there has been only one MCU film headlined by a female character, I would hardly say they have been shoving female characters in our faces.

Unless there is a massive change, I doubt the next batch of films will be predominantly female.
Have you seen Endgame? They effectively removed all the male characters from prominence. Even the ones who have renewed their contracts. Cap is an old man who decided that having his girl was more important that saving earth, that's a hero for you. They wimpified Hulk into the 'approved' male archetype. They made THE GOD OF THUNDER (who by the way has been fighting for possibly centuries, he wouldn't have been that depressed over this big a loss) into a fat slob and about as useful, hell he even became UNWORTHY for the hammer, and gave Asgard to a Valkyrie, meaning now that she's the lead in any Asgard based movie. Nebula is now more important, due to her hastily created arc.

Also, Nebula's actress is now being given an MCU film, there's also talk of being A-Force to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, they need to bring more female characters to supplant and nullify anything the original Avengers.

'But what about Black Widow?' Well, they got rid of her, because she's feminine and comfortable in it. Can't have that competing with the wooden acting of Captain Marvel, might make the new fact of the MCU look bad!
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Chris Evans and RDJ chose not to renew their contracts; that's the reason they were written out; Scarlet Johannsen is signed for at least one Black Widow solo movie, so I scarcely think Marvel is writing the character out to avoid "sex appeal", especially as Zoe Saldana will continue on as Gamora (the CMU's other skintight leather-clad female warrior-the one with bare arms and shoulders). Yes, its reportedly a sequel, but if its successful I imagine there will be follow-ups and BW will be brought back in the modern day continuity. I disagree with how Cap was written out-I think it would have been better to give him a compelling reason (besides his old romantic interest), such as coming across a timeline where there was NO Captain America and the U.S. needed a super-solider to battle the Nazis. Or bring Peggy into the modern day (from one of the alternate timelines) and have them both MIA but not confirmed dead (leaving that door open).

I thought the writers went too far with Thor-what should have been commentary on loss and survivor's guilt became too much a joke at the character's expense (Rocket mocking him is one thing, his mother making an insulting remark is another)-this has been done before, as when Tony Stark's PTSD was turned into a punchline during the epilogue of Iron Man 3. But Thor clearly was still worthy of Mjolnir-he wields the "borrowed" hammer AND Stormbringer against Thanos in the climatic battle. Banner/Hulk was NOT handled well-while apparently "Prof Hulk" is a popular with audiences, the character conflict from last film was not given on-screen resolution, and while the Banner persona accomplished a great deal, there needed to be a crowning moment for the Hulk, such as a rematch with Thanos sans the power stone. Giant-Man got several of these moments near the end, however.

There's no current plans for any Asgardians-based movie, so Valkyrie as their leader is kind of moot, and while Karen Gilian has expressed interest in directing an MCU film, there is nothing on the schedule-its just conjecture.

Upcoming Marvel films include solo movies for Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, GotG, and Shang-Chi, all of which have male leads. There will likely be a CM 2, another Ant Man and the Wasp sequel, and supposedly the Eternals will star Angelina Jolie as Cersei. But the upcoming films scarcely feature female heroes disproportionately. The announced streaming series include only one with a female co-star, WandaVision.

Not seeing what you're seeing here.

All my best.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

That's skipping over a lot of details. Let's start with Black Panther, with it's myriad of nonsensical problems, but let's focus on Chadwick Bosman. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm the only who is, because his movie sure as hell didn't. He's the most boring part of the movie, with the media constantly raving about how 'awesome' the psychopathic Killmonger was, comparing him to Magneto (who did it much better and made more sense), and then there's the women. Who kicked more ass outside of the flower powered, indestructible suit wearing main character. Why exactly was the flower power juice so desired if the Wakandan women could kick more ass without it, and were apparently, the main soldiery of the Royal family? That movie's action scenes focuses primarily on them too, outside of a couple of kingly challenges.

As for Ant-Man and Wasp? Yeah, I have to agree, Wasp was awesome. Capable, strong, feminine, the one who pretty much kicked Ghost's tortured butt all over the screen. I'll be honest, I LOVED watching her work, the best part of the fight scenes were her.

But Ant-Man? He was mostly there for the comedy, not really doing much as his suit was conveniently defective and when he did get into a fight, he spent most of it as a distraction because he couldn't beat up a girl. A real superhero that one. And a pretty lousy thief, now that I look back on it.

Everyone knows that the real star of Guardians of the Galaxy is a CGI tree played by Vin Diesel. Everyone loves Groot! I love Groot. You love Groot. I am Groot! And Peter Quill already is a joke character, so making him useless isn't all that hard, especially if a hoof to the nuts incapacitates him. As for Gamora, she LOOKS sexy, but she doesn't act it, which is how the movie producers want it, can't have her showing up Captain Marvel, of course!

And really, SHANG-CHI, you consider HIM as a main line character? That movie will be lucky if it pulls Ant-Man and Wasp numbers, much less Ant-Man ones. Dr. Strange is a cult favourite, sadly, he's not going to be a mainline hero either.

Actually, I'm going to stop there and ask you this question: Who will be the next group of characters in an Avengers movie? Most of the real powerhouses are now female. Hawkeye's retired, and apparently passing on his Bow to one of his girls, Iron Man left a daughter behind, Nebula made a good showing, Thor is off in space, leaving Valkyrie to be the next Asgardian representative, and given how they've said she's at the very least bi-sexual and are likely making Captain Marvel full lesbian, if the hints on Twitter are something to go by, as well as all the resposting of the Cap Marv/Valkyrie kissing fan art that they've been doing. Professor Hulk is now going to be a harmless leech on screentime, because he won't want to hurt anyone.

No, I don't think there will be many male superheroes in the bigger franchises from here on in. The MCU is pretty much over.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

To my knowledge,the Avengers franchise will be dormant for some time. The success or failure of any future films are difficult to predict, so its unclear if Shang-Chi, Nova (another planned film with a male lead), or even future Dr. Strange or Ant-Man/Giant Man movies will grow into "mainline" heroes to the cinema-going public. And GotG was even more obscure-prior to its massive success.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding. All my best.