Watchmen: Eppur Si Muove

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Davies

Watchmen: Eppur Si Muove

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:44 pm Since I don't know where else to ask, anybody been watching Watchmen on HBO?
I'm actually waiting for all the episodes to be released so I can watch them in one go, like I read the graphic novel.
Last edited by Davies on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Re: Watchmen: Eppur Si Muovo

Post by greycrusader »

I don't have HBO (once did, but just eventually found I wasn't watching enough to justify an extra charge on my bill), but apparently it is a sequel series based on the ending of the comic, not the movie (which I liked, actually); so Ozymandias unleashed the "squid" bio-weapon, rather than staging an attack by Dr. Manhattan. Considering how controversial the ending (which I also consider the weakest part of the series) is among fans, that's an interesting choice. The TV show is exploring the larger impact of the comics' events on society and the world as a whole.

Jean Smart has been winning almost universal praise for her portrayal of an older Silk Spectre, and interviews with the actress demonstrate she's worked out internally how and why Laurie Jupiter reached her new role from the events in books. Still somewhat hard for me to envision her as ever having the physicality of a costumed hero, however.

All my best.
Woodclaw

Re: Watchmen: Eppur Si Muovo

Post by Woodclaw »

Eppur Si Muovo...
Hell's Bells!
At least get your quotes right!
It's "Eppur si muove" (Yet, it moves), reportedly the final rebuttal of Galileo Galilei after he recanted his theories.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Davies

Re: Watchmen: Eppur Si Muove

Post by Davies »

Fixed.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:13 am
Voltron64 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:44 pm Since I don't know where else to ask, anybody been watching Watchmen on HBO?
I'm actually waiting for all the episodes to be released so I can watch them in one go, like I read the graphic novel.
Now that it's finished, what are your thoughts?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:44 am
Davies wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:13 am
Now that it's finished, what are your thoughts?
I'm disappointed with many of the choices made in the making of this series, but it's clearly done with a great deal of love and respect for the original work. It was better than Doomsday Clock, but that is damning with faint praise.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jean Smart as Silk Spectre sounds like great casting- she was AMAZING on Frasier, and great fun as Mrs. Dr. Possible :).
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:17 pm Jean Smart as Silk Spectre sounds like great casting- she was AMAZING on Frasier, and great fun as Mrs. Dr. Possible :).
Wonderful actress and a lovely woman-but her casting didn't quite jell with me, mainly because I know what Jean Smart looked like in decades past, and she never had the physicality of Laurie Jupiter/Silk Spectre II, instead sporting a curvy, soft figure.

Likewise, Jeremy Irons-the Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias of the series was actually meant to resemble a young Robert Redford (though taller and more muscular), wonderfully handsome but non-threatening. His appearance was supposed to belie his actual menace, whereas Irons always gives off a slightly sinister vibe. Again, amazing portrayal, just think the role was slightly miscast.

Regina King was AMAZING as Angela Abar/Sister Night.

All my best!