Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Arkrite

Re: Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

Post by Arkrite »

You ever wonder what life would be if certain technology wasn't available?
Like what if we didn't have computers? What if we didn't have access to search engines? We'd still need to get information.
So how would we do that? Well we could go to the library and do research, but that sounds a little too much like effort.

Instead wouldn't it be easier to just go down to the local collage and ask a guy who knows everything?

If Google Was A Guy
If Google Was A Guy (Part 2)
If Google Was A Guy (Part 3)
If Google Was A Guy (Part 4)
If Google Was A Guy (Part 5)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

These ones are kind of fun, thought I tend to lean into the music ones more than their other stuff.

Bad Lip Reading is exactly what it sounds like. They take a video and dub over with what it looks like the people are saying.
The end results can be hilarious, in my opinion. They're all pretty comedic and largely just come across sounding crazy at the best of times.

"THE FORCE AWAKENS: A Bad Lip Reading" (Featuring Mark Hamill as Han Solo)
"SOY PABLO" Extended Trailer -- A Bad Lip Reading of Narcos, a Netflix Original Series

Music
"SEAGULLS! (Stop It Now)" -- A Bad Lip Reading of The Empire Strikes Back
"HOSTILES ON THE HILL" — A Bad Lip Reading of The Empire Strikes Back
"BUSHES OF LOVE" -- A Bad Lip Reading of A New Hope

There's a lot of other ones in there. The Hunger Games ones make me laugh.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

These days a lot of people are looking for something to do.
Well, after they finished their yardwork.

So why not spend time on the most overly complex giant MMO in existence: Outside.
Now the problem with Outside is that it's too complex. Just including animals and insects is over two million different options, and let's be honest, some are just better than others.
I mean, why would you play a shrew when you'd need a heavy snowfall, or preferably an ice age event to be a good build? There are better rodent builds out there.

In fact there a number of builds that should be avoided at all costs.

But don't worry, there are plenty of options for having a good time playing Outside. Sometimes this can even include abusing the physics engine of the world to accomplish tasks. These tricks can take a sub standard build and make them dominant.

But let's be honest, most people want to know which class is the most Over Powered: is it geese, flying builds in general, or just the internet's second favorite meme: The Honey Badger.

Maybe you just want to know which bear build is best, or where your favorite shark measures up.
Well this is the channel for you. In no time at all you'll be playing Outside!

In case I did a poor job of getting the joke across: This channel is called Tier Zoo. The host approaches the animals of our world as if they were character classes in in a video game.
A video game called "Outside".
The different periods in the world? Those were just patches. Dinosaurs weren't wiped out, they were nerfed for being too OP.
The Overpowered Geese video is one of my favorites because Geese are just awful.
And the swan attacking the "Beware aggressive Swans" sign was perfect.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Speaking of Honey Badgers, here's a cute little video about Stoffle the escape artist.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

One of those things that surprises me that really shouldn't is that comedy from back in the day can still be very funny all the way up to modern times.
A good example of that?
Abbot and Costello.

Two skits of theirs that have always made me laugh
Warning: Turn down your audio, it's loud! Who's on First (audio only)
7 x 13 = 28
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I don't get excited anymore.

I don't know why. Maybe I just had too many instances where things went wrong, or I wound up disappointed too often... I just don't get excited about pretty much anything anymore.

Which is why I love watching Adam Savage. The man just seems to be excited and amazed by everything the world has to offer. It's infectious, it's fun, and I find myself watching videos with him simply because I get to live vicariously through him and experience that excitement again.

Now I should be putting up Mythbusters, but there is another channel that Adam has been working on so I'll post a few of the videos here.

Adam Savage's New Mechanical Claws!
He purchased a set of mechanical super long fingers with articulated motion. I want a set too, but I'd never use them for anything :lol:

Adam Savage's One Day Builds: Custom NERF Rifle
How to disassemble, customize, and paint a nerf gun so it looks like a sci-fi (Maybe borderlands) item.

Adam Savage's One Day Builds: 1000 Shot NERF Blaster!
Pure silly action. Let's add a gigantic magazine so we can fire non-stop nerf balls! Because why not!

There are lots of build videos were Adam builds props, or designs cosplay costumes for conventions he's going to attend, or just shows off the silly/weird/strange stuff he's got. It can be fun

How Adam Savage built a real Iron Man suit that flies
Aaaand this one is a bit misleading.
Somebody designed a set of handheld rockets attached to a backpack that allow a person to fly around, so Adam of course had to test it out... and then build an ironman armor set for the pilot to wear :D
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So I'm one of those guys who loved D&D from a young age... but has never really played it.

It's always sparked my imagination, I love the concept, but playing? Not so much.
And I can find the rules confusing at times, so it's nice to have some short videos which clear this up.

And heck, sometimes it's just nice to see what clever things you can do with utility spells, which is half the fun of D&D in my mind.

So here's a channel which has these things: The Animated Spellbook.

I love that these videos include stories of the adventures where they were used to give them flavor, and each video is only two to three minutes long.
Quick, to the point, and lots of fun.

5E D&D a great utility spell!

My favorite 1st level D&D 5E spell

The deadliest thing in D&D
Tell me you've never run into this, or heard of somebody running into this. :lol:

D&D5E Mage Hand

TRUE STRIKE
Or as I call it: It seemed like a good idea at the time.

And to continue the D&D story goodness, here are some campaign diaries. They are longer than the other videos, but I just love the story and the characters.
Sadly there's no resolution yet, but here's hoping another video will be coming soon.
The Cold Road Pt 1 (D&D Story)
The Cold Road Pt 2 (D&D Story)
The Cold Road Pt 3 (D&D Story)
The Cold Road Pt 4 (D&D Story)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Somebody sent me this the other day.
It is both silly, crazy, and filling me with the urge to go to the grocery story to try some cooking.

Better McMuffins - You Suck at Cooking (episode 109)
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

I've got an odd or end for you.

I have a CBR headline generator

https://cbrheadlinegenerator.herokuapp.com/
Ken

Post by Ken »

saint_matthew wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:24 am I've got an odd or end for you.

I have a CBR headline generator

https://cbrheadlinegenerator.herokuapp.com/
This is pretty damned funny.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So we all have something we try to share with everybody we come across.
Ares has Captain Marvel, Jab has... well, Jab's loves are legion.

Me? I like old radio shows where you can listen to an entire episode of a mystery, adventure or comedy while you're busy doing something else.
Cooking, cleaning, folding laundry, going for a walk/run, or doing yardwork; it's just nice to have some entertainment while your hands/eyes are busy.

I'm fond of a lot of older radio shows, but for this I'm going to be talking about a group who were creating radio dramas as recently as ten years ago.
Decoder Ring Theater is a group in Toronto that, between their other gigs, would come in to record radio shows. It's a small group, but I've always found their series to be a lot of fun.

The Red Panda Adventures - Super Hero Action
The Red Panda series is a throw back to The Shadow and The Green Hornet radio shows, focusing on a Mystery Man style of super heroics set in 1930's Toronto.
The primary characters are the Red Panda, a martial arts gadgeteer with spooky hypnotic powers, and his sidekick the Flying Squirrel who is largely his sidekick because she wants to be called that, not due to any lack of skill or talent on her part.
The series starts in the great depression with the Flying Squirrel just starting to officially work with the Red Panda and the series progresses into World War 2, and beyond.
I will admit there is a point (about 70 episodes in) where they start talking about retirement and I start feeling a little annoyed because I'd rather hear about more exciting adventures and less about how they're planning on not having them any more :lol:

The series is a lot of fun, but I would say that the first episode is far from the best. They need to take some time to introduce the characters, the powers, they dynamics, and most of it gets done in the first episode and... well, it's functional it's not a great episode.
The second episode, on the other hand, is pretty good. You get to see the Red Panda and Flying Squirrel do a rooftop patrol, see them interacting with criminals and a super villain. It's fun, snappy and gives a good feel for things.

The easiest way to get into it would probably be through their YouTube channel:
The Red Panda Adventures playlist has about 70 or so episodes which isn't all of them but it is a good large number. I suggest listening to them in order because there is a progression to things.

You can also find their stuff on Google Play Music and formerly in the podcast section of iTunes (which I think is iMusic now or... something?). I'd also suggest their website to download them as MP3s.

Black Jack Justice - Detective Noir
Black Jack Justice follows the adventures of Jack Justice and his partner (definitely not sidekick) Trixie Dixon, Girl Detective.
Set just shortly after World War 2 in an unnamed US city, these adventures follow Jack and Trixie as they try to close cases and keep their little detective shop running.
One of the things I always enjoyed about this series is that the characters have a pretty good moral compass, and a lot of the stories are less about doing what's legal, and more about doing what's right.
The best part of this series is the snappy dialog and the banter. Jack and Trixie are partners, and would actually do quite a bit to keep the other out of trouble... but they also can't stand each other and spend a good amount of time tossing snappy dialog back and forth.
It's a nice little tightrope to walk, but they pull it off nicely, sometime even admitting that they enjoy the comebacks and missing them when they're not around.
It's also fun to have a series where it's not a Will They/Won't They situation. Unless we're talking about them shooting each other, in which case I'll admit, it's still up in the air! :D
Black Jack Justice is much easier to get into since the most important characters are Jack and Trixie, and all of the other characters can be dolled out slowly as needed.
As much as it might not seem like it this series also has a progressing story line so you'll probably want to start at the beginning.

Black Jack Justice YouTube Playlist

Youtube only has seven episodes, not even enough to finish the first season, but you can find the rest (All 72(!) and some audio books) on Google Play Music or the apple equivalent, or their website

Sadly both of these series have come to a conclusion, but considering there is a significant number of seasons for both, and that both are a lot of fun to revisit? Well, there's lots of entertainment to go around.

And best of all? It's all free!
Ken

Post by Ken »

More comparatively recent audio plays : http://www.twerponline.net/
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I get bored, I go check out netflix.
This guy? He got bored, tried to become a bird watcher. Then those darn squirrels started eating the seeds. So he started trying to prevent them from getting the seeds.
Eventually it just turned into a challenge to see if he could make something that they couldn't get into, and since he was bored, wound up turning into a Ninja Warrior challenge for squirrels.

Man vs. Squirrel- Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Arkrite wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:03 pm I get bored, I go check out netflix.
This guy? He got bored, tried to become a bird watcher. Then those darn squirrels started eating the seeds. So he started trying to prevent them from getting the seeds.
Eventually it just turned into a challenge to see if he could make something that they couldn't get into, and since he was bored, wound up turning into a Ninja Warrior challenge for squirrels.

Man vs. Squirrel- Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
Okay this is officially my favourite thing of today & it's only 9.30 in the morning.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Have you ever gotten a scam e-mail?
If you answered no, then you are lucky beyond all measure.

For the rest of us we get these on a regular basis, we curse them, we shake our fists, we day dream about getting revenge... and then we delete it and move on.

Comedian James Veitch? He asked the question we all were wondering: What if I respond to spam?
Well, This is what happens when you reply to spam email.
And of course he didn't learn his lesson because there were More adventures in replying to spam.

And then he started getting wrong number texts.

There are more videos by him, I found most of them to be pretty funny, so if you're still looking for more after that he did a series of videos called "Scamalot".