Lego DC Universe - Shazam: Magic and Monsters

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Lego DC Universe - Shazam: Magic and Monsters

Post by Ares »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9h-iAmNFk

I've been watching these DCU Lego films (which exist in a completely separate continuity from the Lego Batman film) and for the most part they're a lot of fun. The characters are all generally flanderized to a point, but it never reaches Teen Titans GO! levels of infantalizing or annoying. For the most part, they're just very simple, very fun movies about DC heroes with exaggerated personalities.

This trailer makes me both a little happy and sad. On the one hand, the overall tone and personality is closer to the classic Marvel Family version of Billy Batson/Captain Marvel and the Monster Society of Evil. On the other hand, he's still got the Nu-Shazam look and name. It's a shame something like this couldn't have come out Pre-2011.

Overall this looks like fun, I just know I'm going to wince a little everytime they call him Shazam. Which I freely admit is perhaps a little petty.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Re: Lego DC Universe - Shazam: Magic and Monsters

Post by Ken »

Shazam is the name of the wizard, period.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:43 pm Shazam is the name of the wizard, period.
Agreed. I'd want Captain Marvel back. I'd even take take (heck, I might even slightly prefer) Captain Thunder. But calling him Shazam is just wrong. If for no other reason than being able to control when saying the word triggers the magic lightning sucks all of the magic out of the magic word.

Plus it means the other Mar-er, Shazam Family kids don't have code names, because what do you call them, other than their first names?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

So I'm in the process of watching this, and I was gushing about this on the Echoes Discord so much that I figured I better come gush about it in here before I annoyed the room.

The short version is that this movie really nails what makes Captain Marvel a fun character, and so far the only real problems I have with it are purely cosmetic. They gave him the look and name of the Nu-52 Shazam, but in all other ways this is clearly a Captain Marvel movie. Even the criminals he captures comment on how polite and nice he is. These people clearly know what they're doing and have embraced the fun aspect of the character, and they do it without making Cap a dumbass or a jerkass the way Geoff Johns, the recent DCAU films or the live action movie did. This Cap is friendly, brave, noble, polite and clever, but he has a childlike sense of wonder and enthusiasm about everything. He thinks everything is awesome, but in an endearing way. He sees the magic in everything.

Best of all, of all people he earns Batman's trust and makes Batman SMILE.

I love this movie. Can't recommend it enough.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And I just finished it. Some very minor complaints, but overall, much better than any other adaptation of Captain Marvel in years. You could transplant this Billy Batson into the actual DC Universe, give him classic look and name, and I'd be happy.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Where did you see this? Which streaming service? Or does someone actually need to go to a cinema?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:28 pm Where did you see this? Which streaming service? Or does someone actually need to go to a cinema?
It's direct to DVD, but they released it on various digital services like Amazon Prime, YouTube and a few other places.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And this is out on DVD and Blu-ray now, so you all have no excuse not to watch it.

Like I said, it's a lot of fun. It isn't perfect. Cap still has the name and look of Nu-Shazam, some of the takes on his powers are kind of wonky and there is a bit of Deus ex Machina at one point. But in terms of Billy's personality, they just nailed it. It's fun, funny, heartwarming and action packed. It's the most Captain Marvel thing I've had since Convergence Shazam.

NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

Ares wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:43 pm Shazam is the name of the wizard, period.
Agreed. I'd want Captain Marvel back. I'd even take take (heck, I might even slightly prefer) Captain Thunder. But calling him Shazam is just wrong. If for no other reason than being able to control when saying the word triggers the magic lightning sucks all of the magic out of the magic word.

Plus it means the other Mar-er, Shazam Family kids don't have code names, because what do you call them, other than their first names?
I remember reading Young Justice back when dinosaurs roamed the Internet, when Captain Marvel Jr. showed up for a little while, and he couldn't tell anyone his actual name because that was his "magic word". At some point, I think they started referring to him as CM3 or something equally ridiculous, and I kept yelling "Just call him Kid Marvel! The joke stopped being funny three issues ago, Peter David!"
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Lieutenant Marvel might have been better, and an injoke to those familiar with Shazam history.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:47 am Lieutenant Marvel might have been better, and an injoke to those familiar with Shazam history.
Lt. Marvel was always my personal choice to rename Freddy. Being Captain Marvel Junior wasn't as big an issue in the Golden Age, since The Marvel Family were the most famous heroes in the universe and everyone knew who they were. The only time Freddy needed to introduce himself was when he encountered time travelers and the rare alien who'd never heard of them. Nowadays, being able to introduce himself is more important, since there's so many heroes in DC and the Marvels overall popularity fluctuates from writer to writer.

NoOneofConsequence

I have for a few years felt that in a separate world of Captain Marvel and other FC characters, there should perhaps be a bunch of "Lt. Marvels", with the idea that anyone who is pure of heart and/or noble of spirit might potentially hear the call to say the Word and help Captain Marvel or others when needed.

And I do admit this was partially motivated by the idea that a Golden Age Captain Marvel/Captain America team up should include at least one scene where Steve gets to yell SHAZAM! and become American Marvel. Just so that my inner fanboy can go "Sqweeeee!" very loudly.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:54 pm And I do admit this was partially motivated by the idea that a Golden Age Captain Marvel/Captain America team up should include at least one scene where Steve gets to yell SHAZAM! and become American Marvel. Just so that my inner fanboy can go "Sqweeeee!" very loudly.
Straight fro the darkest part of the 90s, in the Unlimited Access DC/Marvel crossover there was Captain Marvel Jr, an amalgam of Steve and Freddy, who transformed by screaming "Uncle Sam". It was gloriously stupid.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
NoOneofConsequence

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:13 pm Straight fro the darkest part of the 90s, in the Unlimited Access DC/Marvel crossover there was Captain Marvel Jr, an amalgam of Steve and Freddy, who transformed by screaming "Uncle Sam". It was gloriously stupid.
I really need to find a copy of that at some point. I keep thinking there should be a follow up story about Access where he reveals that he is dying because the two worlds he was born in no longer really exist after Flashpoint/New52 and Secret Wars.

I also keep pondering a new version of The Forgotten Heroes that includes him, Ambush Bug, El Dorado, and others. Because I am weird.