Suicide Squad 2021

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Spectrum

Suicide Squad 2021

Post by Spectrum »

Well this just dropped.

I'm not sure if it hit the bowl.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
CaptainChaos

Re: Suicide Squad 2021

Post by CaptainChaos »

Never saw the first one. Mainly because it featured Harley Quinn. I just don't understand the fascination with that character. I would have watched Birds of Prey if Harley Quinn was not in it.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

CaptainChaos wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:04 pm Never saw the first one. Mainly because it featured Harley Quinn. I just don't understand the fascination with that character. I would have watched Birds of Prey if Harley Quinn was not in it.
Well, then it could have potentially been an actual Birds of Prey film and not "Harley Quinn and Her Hangers On".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I was hoping for an actual Birds of Prey film. The characters have so much potential and the DC universe could use a good film other than Wonder Woman.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I'm cautiously optimistic. My biggest issue is that there are a lot of named characters played by reasonably big name actors. The first Suicide Squad suffered a bit from having too many main characters (although more, honestly, for a rather nonsensical plot).

I enjoyed the Birds of Prey film. Then again, I also enjoyed the first Suicide Squad film as well.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yes, the first movie was undone by a convoluted and meandering plot, along with the Joker/Harley subplot, which wasn't well developed enough to be anything but a distraction (BTW: Jared Leto's behavior may have been gross on set, but there was nothing particularly wrong with his Joker interpretation, IMO). Margot Robbie nailed Harley Quinn, Will Smith was a decent Deadshot (the movie's writers were off the mark a bit however), the other cast members were good enough, though Flagg and Katana seemed superfluous. But I really enjoyed the first 30-40 minutes.

BofP...well, I enjoyed parts of it, particularly Margot Robbie (again), but I don't think it ultimately came together-the tone is all over the place, honestly. Black Canary and Huntress are too far astray from their comics roots, and Cassandara Cain is a an-in-name-only plot device used for a cheap joke at the end. The film also had some of the worst marketing I've ever seen for a big studio comic book movie.

All my best.
Last edited by greycrusader on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Huh. I actually really enjoyed the Huntress interpretation. Deadly in combat, but practicing catchphrases in the mirror won't make you good at coming up with good combat dialogue and her approach definitely left her very socially stunted.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I may have been distracted by the actress playing Huntress (Mary Winstead?) not looking REMOTELY ethnically Italian-American.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Recently watched this one and, in my opinion, it hit a lot of its mark. While it's definitely on the side of colorful and goofy (it's James Gunn in his Guardians of the Galaxy style), it also captured the actually expendable nature of the group, and how, despite them being who we're cheering on, they're villains who have done terrible things.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I watched it recently too. I found the first half laugh-out-loud funny. The second half not so much. It did, however, make me miss Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, and made me glad to see Starro the Conqueror used as a legitimate threat.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.