"Guardians" Russian Superhero Flick

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: "Guardians" Russian Superhero Flick

Post by Ares »

Not precisely a superhero film, but there was a low-budget urban-fantasy/horror/action film done back in 2010 called "Hellbinders" featuring Johnny Yong Bosch and Ray Park as part of a trio of supernatural demon fighters. The group includes a literally soulless John Wu style dual pistol wielding mercenary (Park), a member of an elite ninja clan skilled at demon binding (Bosch) and a Knight Templar kept alive for centuries who has abnormal strength and durability that fights demons by making their heads explode when he punches them.

Like I said, it's low-budget, direct to video, but immensely entertaining and fun. It feels like something that could have been dropped into a Feng Shui or Dresden Files game without any issue, and the actors are clearly having a blast. You can find it for pretty cheap and I'd recommend it for a one off.

Bit of trivia, but it's also this weird Power Ranger crossover where Bosch winds up getting into a sword fight with the actor that played the Crimson Quantum Ranger from Power Rangers Time Force. It also features Gerald Okamura (the evil Chinese gang member from Big Trouble in Little China dual wielding revolvers and every recognizable Asian mook in the 80s not played by Al Leong) as a Buddhist monk.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Thanks for the recommendation! I still haven't arranged a time to watch Guardians with the boys. The last time I gave them a choice between that and Mortal Kombat (1995), they chose MK.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

If you're willing to look for a martial arts movie, Kung Fu Hustle is brilliant. It's kind of a HK Big Trouble in Little China. I don't recall anything anything in there being super mature, but please someone double check.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I love Kung Fu Hustle. It's actually surprisingly bloody for an action-comedy, though, so not something I'd show my 10-year old. I intend to show them Shaolin Soccer at some point though.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

In terms of some superhero movie recs, some (OK, most...) a bit off-beat:
  • Rise of the Orisha is kind of off-beat, following a female superheroine empowered by the Orisha (over-simplified explanation is that they were to the South American slave population what the Loa were to slaves practicing Voudun in North America, ma mixture of their cultural gods and Catholic saints). It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember much violence, but the main character does costume up in sparkly body-paint.
  • All Superheroes Must Die involves a team of superheroes getting stripped of their powers and put into a deathtrap. This one has a higher amount of violence, but no sex. I haven't watched the sequel.
  • Defendor and Super are both decosntructions, involving non-powered individuals who are more than a little mentally off. Violence is higher in these ones because they don't gloss over the damage caused by someone getting with with a heavy object, or shot. IIRC, Super also has some sex scenes, including one non-consensual scene.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Oooh, if you're going super old school:

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

So, I watched The Guardians last night, I sought out a openload streamed version to watch in bed, since people had been talking about Russian superheroes over on the reddit M&M page.

Now having seen it again I can say this movie is the epitome of "yeah, it's okay" style movie making.

Every element of it is "yeah, it's okay" & combines in to a movie that's "yeah, it's okay." it's like someone came along & said "I want to make a movie that has everything a movie technically needs, but I want it all to be at a level that isn't objectionable, but also isn't outstanding in any way. It must be passable, but ultimately forgettable & you should feel completely neutral to everything going on on-screen at all times."

The end result is The Guardians.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Sounds good enough to watch, then. :)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ken

Post by Ken »

Supersonic Man. The only version in English I've found is from when (the son of) Svengoolie showed it in the mid 80s. Which is when I first saw it.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

I didn't like it at all. The scenario and dialogues were the main reasons for that. If the writing was good but visual effects sucked that would be understandable and I would probably praise it. But the budget was not the only aspect that bothered me unfortunately.

The tragedy element was not bad if I recall correctly. I liked the earth guy and spider-robots. Bear-man was an awesome idea. Also the commander lady was quite beautiful, enough for me to remember.