Reminiscing about Mr. Rogers

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Reminiscing about Mr. Rogers

Post by Ares »

I was a child of the 80s, so between the fun cartoons, there were shows like Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Fred Rogers was a big part of my childhood, but unfortunately, when I hit my teenage/early 20s, I sort of dismissed the importance of a lot of my old memories and joked about how corny the guy was. It was only after I researched him when I was a little older than I realized how valid my initial impressions had been and what a truly remarkable man this was. Unfortunately, by that point, Fred had passed away, and I never had a chance to even write him a simple note thanking him for his contributions.

I'm not a fan of hypocrisy, which is why I get grumpy on here sometimes: the last few years especially have been so saturated with it. I let that frustration make me obsess about it and bring it up, and I'll admit, sometimes I behave pretty hypocritical myself. But anytime I need to find my moral compass, I do a little research on Mr. Rogers, and I can course correct.

So in honor of the movie that's being released soon (if it hasn't already), here's a couple of videos on the man, the myth, the legend.

20 Facts About Mr. Rogers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWHYJpJcLcU

Mr. Rogers, the Man Too Nice to Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z966lQ4KZwc&t=678s (warning, mild NSFW language)
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Re: Reminiscing about Mr. Rogers

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ya know...I was never a fan. Never really watched his show. Nothing against him, but it just wasn't for me.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I remember that I watched it. I remember that my brother watched it. But I recall very little of it.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I watched it in my toddler days, that hazy time between learning to walk and being able to old talk in complete sentences. Too young to remember much, I do remember that I enjoyed it... But most of my memories are second-hand from watching my younger cousins watch it.

There might have been nicer men to have walked the Earth than Mr. Rogers, but I doubt it.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I was a child from a very poor family,so money was always tight and we couldn't always afford a TV line,but we could always get PBS for free.Fred Rogers taught me more in a month than my Dad ever tried to do.He taught me how an Adult should behave,The importance of keeping your word,How to handle and look at Death,and so much more it's shocking....

Nowadays,thanks in no small part to Fred Rogers,i have a Major case of "GoodNeighborItis".And i thank the man everyday for it....
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

So no one else remembers when Fred Rogers took his show to the set of The Incredible Hulk? I think it was to show kids that the Hulk wasn't a scary monster, but a man in green body paint. It was kind of mind blowing seeing those two worlds collide, though.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:54 pm So no one else remembers when Fred Rogers took his show to the set of The Incredible Hulk? I think it was to show kids that the Hulk wasn't a scary monster, but a man in green body paint. It was kind of mind blowing seeing those two worlds collide, though.
Oh,i loved that Episode! It's honestly what got me intrested in Acting in the first place....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I just watched a documentary on Mr. Rogers called "Won't You Be My Neighbor". You all need to Go Watch it. Now.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.