Summon equipment cost?

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Poodle

Summon equipment cost?

Post by Poodle »

I was thinking of a character who could animate origami and zhizha (paper chinese grave goods).
I figured he would be able to make animals with his animate objects.

I also wanted him to be able to create equipment that he could make real enough to use. I just looked at create object. A few questions though, would he be able to make a fire extinguisher or a gun or a telephone with create object if he had precise or would he need summon equipment whatever that costs.

Are there limits on PL for created objects?
Could you make a toughness 20 object?
What happens if you animate it using animate object?
What if he made a sword? How much damage would it do if he had create object at level 10?
Could he make armour? What would the toughness be?

If you add a flaw to a container do all powers within it have the same flaw e.g. If you container is magic frost powers and it has a vulnerability to fire how do you work out costs to powers?

Another quick question about alternate powers? If I have a power that originally cost 20pp but flaws bring it down to 5pp an AP can only be 5pp in value. Is that correct?
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
catsi563

Re: Summon equipment cost?

Post by catsi563 »

I was thinking of a character who could animate origami and zhizha (paper chinese grave goods).
I figured he would be able to make animals with his animate objects.
I made a similar character based on a Frisch drawing neat stuff
I also wanted him to be able to create equipment that he could make real enough to use. I just looked at create object. A few questions though, would he be able to make a fire extinguisher or a gun or a telephone with create object if he had precise or would he need summon equipment whatever that costs.
Generally in 3rd ed effect is more important then descriptor but off hand there two answers to this if the GM allows it then sure there no real true limit on create object persay

however a GM may say you can only make objects based on the material at hand or based on the skills of the creator

so a person who makes a paper fire extinguisher might be able to have it look like one but it wouldn't function as one if the gm disallowed it

Precise does allow for more complex creations
Are there limits on PL for created objects?
Strictly speaking yes and no. the damage a created object can do is limited by PL but if you had enough ranks of it as i udnerstand it you can create nearly anything such as a planet or the like
Could you make a toughness 20 object?
yes if the materials were avilaible or the Power had the ranks a GM of course would be well within their rights to go sorry admantium is too hard for you to create or it only lasts a few seconds
What happens if you animate it using animate object?
the same as any other object presuming you can create it. the object acts on your turn under your command or if it has its own intellect then it acts within the limits of its structure and design
What if he made a sword? How much damage would it do if he had create object at level 10?
the sword would do the same damage as a normal default sword unless it were designed to be more damaging by its creator create objects rank only covers the volume and size and toughness so it would max out at rank 10
Could he make armour? What would the toughness be?
yes he could make armor with precise and the armor would max out at PL limits though its material strength would be the create objects rank

you are still limited by PL
If you add a flaw to a container do all powers within it have the same flaw e.g. If you container is magic frost powers and it has a vulnerability to fire how do you work out costs to powers?

In general this is a GMS call 9/10 the answer would be yes based on descriptor so an ice array would all have the same weakness generally to heat and fire

the cost is worked out on an individual basis each power has to cost the same as the base power in the array

so an ice array like such
Array 10+3 Atl effects
create 10 20pp
blast 6 cone 18pp costs 1pp
blast 10 20pp costs 1pp
Strike 10 10pp costs 1pp

the create is the arrays base effect as its most expensive, all other powers fall under that cost base but only spend 1pp on them as they are based in the array. the array goes by by the powers go with it
Another quick question about alternate powers? If I have a power that originally cost 20pp but flaws bring it down to 5pp an AP can only be 5pp in value. Is that correct?
As i remember yeah that is technically correct but i dont usualy reccomend building the least costly power as the base of an array
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

1. If I had a variable power (equipment only).. would it be 3pp/r as this is the listed cost for all feats or would it be 2pp/r as it is a limited version of feats. e.g. Variable power feats only (limited equipment only).

2. If I had 6pp of the variable power, even at 3pp/r that seems like it would give me 10pp of equipment or 50ep. Is that correct? If it was 2pp/r that would be 15pp of equipment. Do I have that correct?

3.If I have a rifle from my variable equipment and someone disarms me, do I have to get it back before I can get another weapon or can I just grab another weapon from my stash or is that a specific limitation?

Apart from the low power level of weapons, it seems too good to be true. I know that equipment has limitations but If the limitation on my rocket is limited ammo and I can just grab another rocket, it doesn't seem like a limitation? I also get that power stunts are handled a little differently and that equipment tends to crap out on you if you try to do a power stunt through it.

Am I missing something? It seems remarkable cheap compared to weapon summoning.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

The answers in order at least as far as Im concerned

1: Id be 5 pp per variable rank as you can have basically any piece of equipment

2: each pp of variable basically buys you the equipment advantage so if you had 2 ranks that would be 10 total pp for 10 ranks of the advantage and thus 50 equipment points so yes essentially that's correct

3: If you are disarmed depending on the method I would rule yes that you would have to take an action to retrieve the rifle or make a new one via your pool.

in essence yes an Equipment based VP is very powerful and any GM would be cautious about it possible requiring a cooldown but the power is not unheard of either , take Momo Yaorozu from My Hero Academia who can basically make anything from her skin cells . SO its also got some neat applications in game if not abused,

Most of the real difference is with weapon summoning you are summoning POWERFUL weapons which can do damage

with equipment your pulling out a popgun compared to a handcannon.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

5pp/rank? even when "any feat, one at a time is 4pp and equipment is a subset of feat?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

its more that the equipment is incredibly versatile and enables you to do all sorts of things even if it is just equipment. its a very broad category which I put at 5 because of the versatility and wide open nature of the powerset which I think most gms would find generous.

have to remember technically as long as you have the points you can pull anything from a sword to a shotgun to a grenade to a helecoptor

Catsi stories
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

true...fair call