Degrees of Failure

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Davies

Degrees of Failure

Post by Davies »

At last, your turn has come, and you prepare to use your special ability that could possibly end the battle you and your allies are fighting. But your success is not assured; on this occasion, fortune is not with you -- the dice roll indicates that you have failed to use your special ability.

Rate the possible outcomes of this event from least undesirable to most undesirable.
  • Nothing happens, but you are allowed to take a different action that doesn't require the use of a special ability.
  • Nothing happens, and you have wasted your turn's action.
  • Nothing happens, you have wasted your turn's action, and your capacity to use this ability is now limited (you still spend the spell points, must wait for cooldown, etc.)
  • Something happens, it is out of your control what that something is, but it might be a benefit or hindrance, and your capacity to use this ability is now limited.
  • Something happens, it is out of your control what that something is, and it is a definite hindrance, but your capacity to use this ability is not limited.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Shock

Re: Degrees of Failure

Post by Shock »

In order:

1) Nothing happens, but you are allowed to take a different action that doesn't require the use of a special ability.
2) Something happens, it is out of your control what that something is, and it is a definite hindrance, but your capacity to use this ability is not limited.
3) Nothing happens, and you have wasted your turn's action.
4) Something happens, it is out of your control what that something is, but it might be a benefit or hindrance, and your capacity to use this ability is now limited.
5) Nothing happens, you have wasted your turn's action, and your capacity to use this ability is now limited (you still spend the spell points, must wait for cooldown, etc.)

Explanation: 1 is pretty obvious. No downside. Something happening is always more interesting than nothing happening, IMO. I can understand someone having preference to the reverse. And losing your ability to choose later is worse than not receiving a limitation.
Hellstormer1

Post by Hellstormer1 »

Uuummm....can you provide more context?
"NOPE!"
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hellstormer1 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:43 am Uuummm....can you provide more context?
What more context do you want?
Hellstormer1

Post by Hellstormer1 »

Each of these choices depends on the system, the rules, the setting, the situation you're in.....context means a lot. You want us to make a list based on....well, practically nothing. And I get the feeling there's a story behind why you're asking this. Telling us that story would help add to the context to make choices for the list.
"NOPE!"
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hellstormer1 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:20 am And I get the feeling there's a story behind why you're asking this.
No, this is an entirely hypothetical situation.