Trinity Continuum: Aberrant

If you want to talk about Kickstarter, Go Fund Me and other Crowdsource projects, do it here.
Jetstream

Trinity Continuum: Aberrant

Post by Jetstream »

Guys! You guys! It's here! 2nd Edition Aberrant is being funded!

Super hype!

The first manuscript previews are up, and I'm liking most of what I'm seeing. It's getting updated for the modern era, so lots of their weird 90s stuff is gone (I am sad that there's no XWF, per se, though), and some of the weirder plotlines seem to be gone. Slider wasn't murdered, and it doesn't look like Proteus are the objective villains anymore.

I can't wait for the next one. It should have Character Creation in it. I really, really want to see powers, but I can be patient... I can!
Tattooedman

Re: Trinity Continuum: Aberrant

Post by Tattooedman »

Looks promising. I remember when Aberrant first came out, it had some promise but was kind of pissed away IMO. I'll have to see if I can find this.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Interesting. Aberrant was the first Supers RPG that I was exposed to that tried to be more of a "Valiant / Wildstorm / Heroes / New Universe" type setting that purposefully averted the usual superhero comic tropes. Granted, it suffered the usual White Wolf issues of being super grim-dark, tons of factions, everyone having a dark secret, and then threw in Mary Sue NPCs that actually did most of the work in the setting. Divis Mal has gone on to become one of the most blatant examples of a God-Mode Sue character ever, with one adventure basically having the player characters forced to stand around while Mal handles the big scene.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how this update handles things tho. I still idea mine Aberrant quite a bit, both setting and systems wise.

Heh, this reminds me of a Paragons / Aberrant Crossover I posted up on RPG.net back in the day.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Tattooedman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:29 pm Looks promising. I remember when Aberrant first came out, it had some promise but was kind of pissed away IMO. I'll have to see if I can find this.
Find? The picture’s a link to the campaign.
Ares wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:52 pm Interesting. Aberrant was the first Supers RPG that I was exposed to that tried to be more of a "Valiant / Wildstorm / Heroes / New Universe" type setting that purposefully averted the usual superhero comic tropes. Granted, it suffered the usual White Wolf issues of being super grim-dark, tons of factions, everyone having a dark secret, and then threw in Mary Sue NPCs that actually did most of the work in the setting. Divis Mal has gone on to become one of the most blatant examples of a God-Mode Sue character ever, with one adventure basically having the player characters forced to stand around while Mal handles the big scene.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how this update handles things tho. I still idea mine Aberrant quite a bit, both setting and systems wise.

Heh, this reminds me of a Paragons / Aberrant Crossover I posted up on RPG.net back in the day.
In fairness, the point of Into the Arms of the Angel of Wrath was that Pax and Mal would be doing their thing while the player characters took advantage of the giant distraction to accomplish other goals.

Like rescuing all the prisoners in the Bahrain facility.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:13 am
Tattooedman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:29 pm Looks promising. I remember when Aberrant first came out, it had some promise but was kind of pissed away IMO. I'll have to see if I can find this.
Find? The picture’s a link to the campaign.
Didn't realize that when I looked at it on my smart phone, but thanks.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

God, this was my first real foray into the game forums (I dabbled in the WoD ones, but this was my jam.)

I remember when the line developer came out basically saying we were all playing it wrong. The backlash from the fan base got us a new developer.
Then there was the "Arms" issue. Hopefully in 2019 we are over that particular "shock" point.

I will say that my favorite thing on the forums we (as it is today) the character conversions. I recall on particular thread that came out after the Universe-X story from Marvel. It had a write up of Thor and was done from the view point of his hammer being a sentient member of his original alien race but locked into the form of Mjolnir.

I may have to dig up my old book/pdfs of the game and give them a once over.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jetstream wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:53 pm Slider wasn't murdered, and it doesn't look like Proteus are the objective villains anymore.
So... not Aberrant at all. Maybe a superhero game, but not Aberrant. :(
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

A little less of a quick response- what are the things that make Aberrant, Aberrant to you?

They are changing the system for that the entire setting. I really haven't seen it, it might be better, but it is still different. And yes, they did a d20 version back during the 3.5 craze.

It sounds like they are also making significant changes to the setting.

So I'm not sure when it stops being Aberrant and starts being something else.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

To me it was a superhero conspiracy themed setting with the PCs being the ones to stumble upon a sliver of truth that sets them down the path of figuring out what is really going on. I always thought it was an interesting setting, my problem was that the group I played with was more interested in power gaming than role playing, so the one Aberrant game we played did not work out very well.
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Spectrum wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:25 pm A little less of a quick response- what are the things that make Aberrant, Aberrant to you?

They are changing the system for that the entire setting. I really haven't seen it, it might be better, but it is still different. And yes, they did a d20 version back during the 3.5 craze.

It sounds like they are also making significant changes to the setting.

So I'm not sure when it stops being Aberrant and starts being something else.
I can tell you that the things they’ve changed were the worst parts of the setting, far as I’m concerned. Slider’s murder was the most boring plot in the game, and the sterilization conspiracy was incredibly stupid.

It’s Aberrant because it’s supers in a more realistic world, with all the nonsense philosophizing and transhumanist madness it always had.

Anyway, as for changing the setting, they had to. It’s not the 90s anymore.

Btw, the manuscript is being provided to backers. You can read it if you pledge at all. The setting chapters went up last week, the character creation will be going up tomorrow, powers next week.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

It isn't, but it should be (the 90s)!

I guess that is where my fundamental problem with a lot of the White Wolf reboots comes from.

*waves cane of ancient power*
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 am It isn't, but it should be (the 90s)!

I guess that is where my fundamental problem with a lot of the White Wolf reboots comes from.

*waves cane of ancient power*
Ding dong the witch is dead. The witch, in this context, is the 90s
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

New public preview discussing mega-attributes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... ts/2564268
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Powers chapter is up. They are intensely Kenson’y. There’s a single damage power called Quantum Attack that you trick out with Power Tags.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »