UGH- Coronavirus probably screwing up my vacation

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Jabroniville

UGH- Coronavirus probably screwing up my vacation

Post by Jabroniville »

Possibly the most "first-world" problem ever, but... I had planned on a Disney World vacation for this year- April 20-May 1st. And because these things require a lot of advanced booking for things, I'd scheduled it in NOVEMBER for dining plans and such, and finally made all my other plans last month.

So now the parks are closed until the end of March... but Disney just cancelled the contracts of all their College Placement workers- which would have extended into April. So now it's looking like they may be closed for most, if not all, of April, or have intensely scaled-back stuff otherwise.

So now I'm sitting here just WAITING to see what will happen. No idea when or if things will be announced, and if I need to reschedule. Early September is another good time to visit, but I'd have to decide IMMEDIATELY to book certain things.

Oh, and work just sent out an email saying that we'd have to self-isolate if we left the country (Coronavirus is much less of an issue here than in other places). So I'd have to keep it quiet if I did choose to go.

Never mind that I work in a grocery store and so we're busy all day long now, and don't have the option of working from home.

This just continues to get more and more annoying for me.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Re: UGH- Cornavirus probably screwing up my vacation

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Goldar

Re: UGH- Cornavirus probably screwing up my vacation

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:05 am Possibly the most "first-world" problem ever, but... I had planned on a Disney World vacation for this year- April 20-May 1st. And because these things require a lot of advanced booking for things, I'd scheduled it in NOVEMBER for dining plans and such, and finally made all my other plans last month.

So now the parks are closed until the end of March... but Disney just cancelled the contracts of all their College Placement workers- which would have extended into April. So now it's looking like they may be closed for most, if not all, of April, or have intensely scaled-back stuff otherwise.

So now I'm sitting here just WAITING to see what will happen. No idea when or if things will be announced, and if I need to reschedule. Early September is another good time to visit, but I'd have to decide IMMEDIATELY to book certain things.

Oh, and work just sent out an email saying that we'd have to self-isolate if we left the country (Coronavirus is much less of an issue here than in other places). So I'd have to keep it quiet if I did choose to go.

Never mind that I work in a grocery store and so we're busy all day long now, and don't have the option of working from home.

This just continues to get more and more annoying for me.
That stinks!

I was hoping things would clear up by the end of March, but it seems many people do not follow the rules and they are spreading the virus, making things last longer. I feel bad for you and hope that things work out. Probably best to reschedule for September, just to be safe. Then, you will have a trip to look forward to after the virus is gone!
Jabroniville

Re: UGH- Coronavirus probably screwing up my vacation

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, I changed my vacation to September, which will hopefully be much better. April is very iffy, and who knows if they'll even leave much of it open by then?

Only issue now is airlines won't let you just cancel and get refunds- it's all in "credit" and you have to spend the credit in a year or so. So my Air Canada flight is probably going to be cheaper because most flights will be cheaper... except it won't matter, because I paid the $590 when it was PROFIT SEASON, and I won't earn any under-charge.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Yes, airlines NEVER refund the flight cost, just "Credit". Flight prices sometimes vary "minute-to-minute" or "day-to-day" I am told, depending on the site used to book flight. Some do not seem to change much by season, but by destination, distance, etc.

I would look forward to your September Trip. :)
Shock

Post by Shock »

Goldar wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:42 pm Yes, airlines NEVER refund the flight cost, just "Credit". Flight prices sometimes vary "minute-to-minute" or "day-to-day" I am told, depending on the site used to book flight. Some do not seem to change much by season, but by destination, distance, etc.

I would look forward to your September Trip. :)
What I've read is that flight booking sites will keep track of when you visit (duh) and if you search the same flight more than once they'll bump up the price because they figure you're really interested and are more likely to buy regardless of minor price differences
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

To be fair, I'd rather have it screw up my vacation instead of my workplace. I'm employed in one of those "critical professions".

People are so paranoid where I work that I got yelled at for waking into a wrong aisle by mistake.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!