Magic 40,000: The Warhammering

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Batgirl III

Magic 40,000: The Warhammering

Post by Batgirl III »

To quote a friend of mine when he shared this news with me: "God is dead and we have killed Him, for He committed suicide after seeing our folly..."

Warhammer 40,000 is coming to Magic: The Gathering
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Re: Magic 40,000: The Warhammering

Post by Davies »

Brexit must be cutting into GW's profits more than I'd expected. What a pity.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Quite the opposite. Games Workshop’s latest financial report shows the company is doing great. 2021 is on course to be a better year than 2020, and 2020 was a better year than 2019...

I don’t know what Hasbro’s financial situation is, but I’d wager they’re probably the weaker party in this deal.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Judging by the video games market, Games Workshop will let anyone with 20 bucks and a business card license their property so this shouldn't be all that surprising. I'm looking forward to dropping a Foot of Gork on my opponent's creatures.

In my opinion, Lord of the Rings is actually a worse fit for Magic. Flashy spells don't fit there at all.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’d have thought Age of Sigmar would be a natural fit. It’s already about super-powerful magical heroes jumping from one realm / plane to another and duking it out with armies of fantastic creatures and über-powerful spells.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Yeah Warhammer fantasy does seem like the best match. The only reason I can guess they went with 40k is the overall higher popularity.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Well, they kinda did all the pure Fantasy stuff(and their saving the D&D stuff for the Core Set Spot this year) already, so 40k is the only GW linked thing they had open. It's a MUCH better fit than LoTR at the least....
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:06 am Quite the opposite. Games Workshop’s latest financial report shows the company is doing great. 2021 is on course to be a better year than 2020, and 2020 was a better year than 2019...

I don’t know what Hasbro’s financial situation is, but I’d wager they’re probably the weaker party in this deal.
Based on what I read recently, Hasbro suddenly realized that Wizard of the Coast is profitable again, in 2020 D&D and MAgic it accounted for 1/7th of the net profit of Hasbro, making them its most profitable brands.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Would explain why MTG has done all the weird stuff it did lately....