Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
M4C8

Re: Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 am
BriarThrone wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:05 am
Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:10 am In a bit of actual justice, a UK woman was sentenced to 14 years in prison for human trafficking.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/05/62608860 ... rian-women

If anything, she got off light. Tack on another 5 years, make her 70th birthday present her freedom

I mean, a black woman taking advantage of other women and selling them into actual slavery. I'd love to see the folks over here twist themselves in knots trying to defend that or say it can't happen.
It's not without precedent. African slaves in America were purchased from either African slave-takers or Ottoman slave-ranchers. Interesting that it happened in the UK, though. The very first abolitionist nation, though they pulled some later shenanigans on the colonial Irish. I'd have thought that their laws on trafficking would be crazy tough. That had better be fourteen years of hard labor and restitution.
Right, you and I know that Africa is generally considered the birthplace of slavery because Africans were selling other Africans into slavery across the world. But the narrative a vocal minority of really stupid people espouse is that all the world's evils are a result of men and that black people are the only ones who have ever suffered slavery, and exclusively at the hands of white people. A black woman enslaving other women just completely destroys that narrative. It's just nice to see a situation where someone's race or gender was not used as a "get out of jail free card".
The African slave trade, while a disgusting crime that should never be forgotten, is in reality no more or less important than any other slave trade. Almost every group of people have been taken as slaves at some point in their history, almost every group has also taken slaves, we in Britain for example were taken as slaves by the vikings and Romans for centuries.
The idea of reparations is frankly ridiculous, nobody alive today had anything to do with the African slave trade, there is no way a black American would accept being punished for a crime they didn't commit based purely on the fact that they shared the same race as the perpetrator and yet somehow they expect white people to accept responsibility and be financially punished for a crime the occurred over a century before they were even born.
Slavery in some form or another has existed since the birth of humanity (in Africa ironically) and is as big a problem today as it's ever been throughout our history, people trafficking has been one of the fastest growing criminal enterprises over the last few decades whether it be for cheap labor or the sex trade (there's estimated to be over 100 million girls/women who have been forced into the sex trade in India alone)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Re: Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

Post by Batgirl III »

If you can find me a lving man or woman who was living in slavery on January 1, 1863, and find me the living man or woman who held them in bondage, I will be totally supportive of having the former slave-owner make a reparation payment to the former slave. There seems to be a sever shortage of 155+ year olds in the world today however.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Ares wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 pm I am shocked and appalled at the blatant discrimination Mears is facing. She basically did everything possible, but the police refuse to label her crime "rape".
And thus why I'm glad Canada's Criminal Code has things like aggravated sexual assault. There are pretty specific requirements for it be aggravated, but the fact the crime was a sexual nature and involved a weapon basically guarantees that would be the charge here.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Only if the prosecution actually charges her with it; every state in the union has laws against aggravated sexual assault / aggravated rape / criminal sexual contact... The name changes from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, as do the specific elements of the crime. But, in general, using a weapon to threaten someone into letting you f—k them is a serious crime... That the prosecutor(s) decided not to charge this woman with.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, it's not the fact that laws don't exist that cover precisely what this woman did, they're just not charging her with them because "won't you think of the women".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

One of my best friends experienced the joy of trying to get custody of his children in a United States court after his ex-wife pimped out her daughters to her freshly released sex offender boyfriend who raped his own daughter, and his son had an unfortunate hunting accident before he could testify. The whole thing came to a head when the oldest was twelve years old and suicidal.

The level of resistance he met in the court was shocking. The mother eventually plead no contest to exploiting sexual exploitation of a minor, but the judge (illegally) suspended her sentence, because OBVIOUSLY she was just a victim. She claimed not to know any of this was happening - although we figured it out from hundreds of miles away, despite not knowing the guy's history at the time, so how could SHE have missed it?

The legal system goes to absurd lengths to protect women from prosecution, and then we get the stats for how most criminals are men thrown at us.
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:29 pm Only if the prosecution actually charges her with it; every state in the union has laws against aggravated sexual assault / aggravated rape / criminal sexual contact... The name changes from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, as do the specific elements of the crime. But, in general, using a weapon to threaten someone into letting you f—k them is a serious crime... That the prosecutor(s) decided not to charge this woman with.
I know that, my comment was more that the crime tends to be labeled as rape or something similar. I'm just as mortified that there isn't a charge of rape involved. I actually think its more an issue with the idea that a man can't be raped, rather than having anything to do with protecting women.

Criminal Code of Canada's definition of sexual assault is so broad that there is no way a crown attorney could charge somebody with anything other than sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years, add aggravated sexual assault and we're talking 14 years if convicted. The Edmonton Police Service has a pretty good break down. Although I suppose my view has more to do with not having elected officials operating the justice system, so they aren't beholden to the next election cycle.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Just when you thought a woman raping a man by forcing him to comply by threatening him with a machete was the most disgusting example of a judicial double-standard, we have this bullshit:
“NY Daily News” wrote:Nataliia Karia avoided prison time despite pleading guilty to attempted murder, third-degree assault and criminal vehicular operation for hitting a pedestrian, a bicyclist and another driver as she fled from her home in November of 2016.

A father was dropping off his son at Karia’s home when he found a toddler hanging from a noose in the basement. He released the child, and the 16-month-old boy survived.

Karia fled in her vehicle, striking a bicyclist and dragging another motorist 10 blocks after striking his car, according to the Star Tribune. The bicyclist needed a rod inserted in his leg to avoid amputation, according to the newspaper.

She would also hit a vehicle driven by a pregnant woman. Karia threatened to jump off an overpass before she was taken into custody.

Hennepin County District Judge Jay Quam sentenced her to 10-years probation on Monday after agreeing with doctors that she was a “low risk” to commit more crimes. Judge Quam said her actions were “the perfect storm of factors unlikely to ever be repeated,” according to the Star Tribune.
I’m not an expert, but I think there’s an even lower risk of her hanging any more toddlers if she was inside a prison.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Holy Mary, Mother of God!
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Three charges? A prosecutor that can't find ten to twelve serious charges that apply to this series of events isn't even trying. Probably because it's a waste of time when the judge will never properly sentence a woman. She needs to serve the maximum sentence, and the judge needs to serve it too.
Ken

Post by Ken »

So... can we at least hope people stop sending their kids to Ms. Karia for daycare?

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Probably mental health + gender. A guy here did only 5-ish years for DECAPITATING SOMEONE ON A GREYHOUND BUS because he was "off his meds" and is now "low-risk".
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I haven’t read anything about this case other than the linked article. I’m willing to accept that the judge was sincere in thinking she was acting out of a temporary mental defect and isn’t likely to be a danger in the future, given proper mental health support (and probably several pounds of psychotropic pills everyday). That seems like good grounds for giving her a less-than-maximum prison sentence followed by strictly supervised probation. Not giving her only probation!
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:22 pm I’m not an expert, but I think there’s an even lower risk of her hanging any more toddlers if she was inside a prison.
Probably, but without more insight in to the particulars I'm not actually that surprised. Remember probation means constant check ins, and if you miss one its off to prison you go. Having completed paralegal training in Ontario (for those not familiar it means I could in theory become a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada and provide legal services, or work as a Provincial Prosecutor, but not a Crown Attorney) the thing we have to remember for the legal system is the Golden Thread: it is better to let 1000 guilty men go free than convict an innocent man.

You know what the biggest factor in getting parole in Canada is after age and criminal record? Whether you killed somebody. If you committed a murder your recidivism rate is stupid low, at least as far as the parole board is concerned. Lets say we have a 60 year old woman that murders her husband, because they get into a fight. She pleads guilty, gets a sentence of say 20 years. So after server roughly 2/3 of that she can apply for parole, while will put around 75. What's the likelihood Grandma is going to commit another criminal offense, let alone kill somebody else? Pretty damn low statistically.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:25 am Probably mental health + gender. A guy here did only 5-ish years for DECAPITATING SOMEONE ON A GREYHOUND BUS because he was "off his meds" and is now "low-risk".
That guy also spent 5 years in a psychiatric hospital as he was deemed not criminally responsible, but couldn't reasonably be released as he was a danger to the public. There is a vast difference between somebody knowingly committing a crime and somebody in a psychotic state committing a crime. Remember, to be convicted of a crime you need mens rea and actus reus: the intent and the action. The intent part is wrapped up in all kinds of mental health issues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:22 pm I’m not an expert, but I think there’s an even lower risk of her hanging any more toddlers if she was inside a prison.
It wasn't attempted murder. It was an attempted post-natal abortion.