For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: The Blight After

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP:2
Cnd: Damaged (-2 to EM power-array)
PP:0

The power board is immense - much larger than - standard household circuit box. Iona is almost finished scrutinizing the various paths when Diego's silent form materializes between Peter and herself.

After the shape-shifting Ascendant relays the information gathered from his reconnaissance, Iona initially remains quiet. She is wary about offering tactical advice as she feels her knowledge and experience are limited. There is only one fact on which she feels conviction enough to speak. "With each passing moment, the Stronghold presence will increase. If they do not feel that they have enough force to secure the hospital at the present moment, then they will no doubt call in more. Time is heavily against us."

She stops only to shake her head in disappointment. "I hate to be a pessimist, but if the rest of the floors are like the basement, then I do not see how our target could have survived."

Looking back to Diego, she nods in agreement. "I agree with your option to storm the security center. We do not have time to search every floor and every room. We need the cameras. Even if we were to get the wireless network up and running, there is no guarantee that our target is in the last location he was scheduled to be at. We need a visual confirmation."

She pauses once again before asking her final question. "So do you want me to go with you or remain here to provide eventual power?"
EnigmaticOne

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
HP: 2
COND: Fatigued

"You assume that the WiFi network was not shutdown independently of the power system. If it wasn't, then I wouldn't need to go directly to the security office to access the cameras. If it was, then I will have to go there." Peter explained patiently. "The best way I can imagine you persuading Jacob to follow you, is regrettable, as you mentioned. Play the savior, and offer any group he's with an escape and then kill the others."

The distaste for that was evident in Peter's voice. "I would like to avoid it if we can identify a viable alternative."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 0
CND: Haunted, but fine
Form: Mist

Everyone seemed agreed. It was a rare occurrence Diego wasn't going to waste despite not being 100% happy with the plan. "We will need the power on, but with an unknown number of people at the security center we may need need all three of us to quickly dispatch the defenders. If possible to power the hospital from the security center, that would be optimal. Otherwise, just Peter and I will need to go. We can send four dots and two dashes when we arrive and secure the location. From there, we can signal each area with its own code.", begins Diego in his native voice.

"it is very dark upstairs as well, but there is some light from the windows when around them. As we get near the security office, attracting one or two of the creatures would help sell a story of being chased by them and needing refuge. With their guard down, we kill everyone there. Timing will be everything. If they can get a radio signal out, we don't just expose our current mission, but our powers to Stronghold as well. Despite being looters of the great city they have made a third world, they are not stupid. Checking the cameras will also need to be quick. Start with areas he will likely be such as radiology or the area he works in the hospital. Circle out the search from there.", whispers Diego.
Supernaturalist

Iona

After looking over the power board, Iona feels comfortable about sending power to areas of the hospital which she cannot effectively see.

Nodding at both Peter and Diego, she speaks. "I shall go with you. I can power the whole floors of the hospital as you desire. On the other hand, if I can see the computers and cameras directly, I can selectively power those. There will be no need for any kind of 'long-distance' communication between us."

I wonder if the same macabre phenomenon which is occurring here is happening at all the other reported infection sites? If so, Stronghold may be tasked with helping investigate and secure those areas as well. It would be interesting to know just how much the current crisis is straining their resources.

"I am ready to go now if the two of you are."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
Form: Mist

It was all set. "I will stay in my native form until we get close to the hospital first floor. Hopefully we can avoid more of those creatures down here. Once we make it to the stairs leading up to the first floor, we will need to move the barricades they put in place with as little change to them as possible. These creatures possess some intelligence, so they may think the creatures moved them. A possible patient, a priest, and a beautiful woman should be able to get into the security office. I will do the talking backed up by Iona. Keep whatever we say as close to the truth as possible. The best lies are mostly true. Once inside, we need to quickly dispatch everyone and work as quick as possible to scan the cameras.", whispers Diego.

He waited for any further questions. There was always more questions or ideas so he had learned to wait. The plan wasn't without it's risks, but he didn't see any other good way to go about it aside from searching the whole hospital himself which would take a bit of time.
Stealth 24, Perception 28 in case either will be needed
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

With Diego taking point, he is able to scout ahead and spot trouble before the other two could run into it. There are times when you need to stop and wait for several minutes for a group of monstrosities to leave an area so that your gorup can pass unnoticed, and others time you need to take alternate routes to the stairs. Something you begin to notice is that more and more of the Things are congregating at one of the stairwells. To avoid them to make your way to the stairwell on the opposite side of the floor, and begin to ascend. It is strangely humid in the stairwell, and the walls seem to breath around your. The movement of shadows cast by Peter's light makes the walls appear to contract and expand. The eeriness is pervasive, but you manage to reach a barricaded door at the ground floor. Desks, tables, and even a metal hospital bed are piled up to block off access to the floor.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Iona

Diego's shadowy form safely guides the trio to a heavily barricaded door. And though he often unnerves her, Iona must admit that without his stealthy reconnoiter, the group would not make it to the door undetected.

She eyes the pile of objects stacked against the door, her keen mind already tackling the problem of how to remove each piece quietly and carefully. She does not want the barricade to come crashing down.
OOC: Do all the objects appear to be metal (or at least partially-comprised of some metal).
After scanning the pile from top to bottom, she whispers to her comrades: "Do you wish to remove the objects by hand? I could save my magnetic-field manipulation to transfer objects that are too heavy or unwieldy to move manually."

She awaits in silence for her peers to respond.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
Form: Solid

Based on the skirmish in the morgue and the assembling of the creatures, Diego was convinced they weren't mindless beast bent on feeding. Some disease or science experiment reminiscent of what Sokolov had in his lab provided by Stronghold had gotten loose. Diego would need to find out more eventually, once the mission was over. Causing targets chaos and mayhem to achieve the ultimate goal of utopia was one thing. Senseless or too obvious actions such as releasing the virus or transformational agent was just stupid. He was beyond the moral concerns of it all. For Diego it was all tactical and utilitarian in nature. Too showy without a correspondingly vital reason had too much risk to it all.

Diego ensured no creatures were immediately close to them and looked at Peter. "Could you seal off the entrance to this stairwell from the basement in a manner to make it seem like a wall? If we are going to use this path again I'd prefer it not to be the point these creatures decide to use to come up to the first floor." , says Diego. He had to think one step ahead as they were on a clock. It was only a matter of time before the creatures decided to barge into the first floor with numbers that may very well overwhelm any protecting forces.
After scanning the pile from top to bottom, she whispers to her comrades: "Do you wish to remove the objects by hand? I could save my magnetic-field manipulation to transfer objects that are too heavy or unwieldy to move manually."
"We need to be as careful as we can, yet still be able to plead innocents who were caught in the basement just in case the other side of the door is guarded.", remarks Diego. He examined the door and the barricade plus looking for any vents he could use to check the other side of the door. They needed to get close to the security office and beg for shelter there. Too far from it and they risked being offered security from the creatures somewhere else.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

Peter turned his gaze to the wide gap of the stairwell with a frown. Undoubtedly, he could do so, but... "The people up here likely will notice, and know it suddenly appeared, even if I do make it look seamless." Unless Diego was uninterested in explaining it away - but it might be connected to the trio, and questions asked.

All the same, Peter used his flashlight to illuminate each end of the existing gap so he could make sure the would-be filler material fitted properly.
Games
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:There is an eclectic assortment of materials used to construct the barrier. About one third have some amount of metal in their construction.

As for Peter creating a barrier, it is doable. Since his Create has Subtle 1 he can indeed make it look like the same material as the rest of the wall. Peter pointed out an issue though, people who know the area or who approach from the stairs side will know that wall isn't supposed to be there.

There aren't any vents in this area, however in his nanite-cloud state Diego can easily pass through cracks in the barricade to get to the other side. There is a chance someone could notice if there is any light on the other side of the barrier though.

Since Diego is making a point of looking around and inspecting his surroundings, make a Perception check for him.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona begins removing objects from the barricade, starting from the top. Her lack of strength dictates that she choose small objects over heavy ones unless the larger objects have metal. In those cases, she carefully levitates the piece up and away from the pile before setting it gently on the floor. If she is unsure whether removing an object will cause the pile to collapse, she waits for help from Diego and Peter.

"So..." she whispers in Diego's direction, "...if we meet guards or Stronghold soldiers, will your first intention be dialogue or outright hostility? I just want to be clear."
OOC: Here's my Dodge check: Supernaturalist:1D20+8 → 19(11 + 8). Ok I got a 19, so I did not succeed. I must make a level 25 Toughness DC. Here's my roll: Supernaturalist:1D20+12 → 28(16 + 12). I rolled a 28, so I succeeded the check. I assume that I was just lucky that the stack of objects in front of me absorbed the shrapnel and disapated the force of the blast.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Wed May 27, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego took in the scene at hand. Inside he grimaced a bit. There was too many variables. Still, they had to keep going and avoid fighting as long as possible. "These creatures are gathering by the other stairwell. I have little doubt they plan to storm it as they do not seem like mindless zombies. Their actions previously showed a level of strategy. If not a wall, perhaps a few boards or something to reinforce the door.", says Diego.

Turning to look to Iona now in his Spanish priest form, Diego goes over the plan in a similarly hushed tone. "We have the advantage in that these creatures pose a serious danger to humans. If we come out of the basement and run into security patrols we can tell them we were in the basement when we ran into these creatures. All of this is true. As a priest, I can say I was looking for a quiet place to council a badly injured patient. For your part, you can say you were down stairs hoping to examine the bodies out of scientific curiosity. If we run into more creatures, we should try to run or seek help initially. Using out powers will only make things more difficult for us unless we can do it in a subtle way, but if we must, we must.", remarks Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The door leading out of the stairwell open outward, into the hallway. The barricade is built up right against the door. Opening the door a crack is about all you can manage at first. Diego takes in what he can from the crack, which is so distant faint light source leaking through the cracks of objects piled up in front of the door. As she can't physically reach the objects she wants to maneuver Iona begins to move those that she can with her electromagnetic projectors. Small objects at the top of the barricade are pushed back out of sight. She could have easily knocked the barricade aside, but Iona takes her time trying not to draw attention to what she is doing. Eventually enough material has been removed that you can push the door open with some effort.

It is as you do that, and the barricade bends inward under the pressure of the door, that a bright flash of light erupts in your faces followed immediately by an intense wave of force. Shrapnel from the debris carried along with the explosion pelts each of you.
OOC wrote:As you begin disassembling the barricade you set off an explosive trap. Diego was the only person taking the time to inspect the area, so I asked him to make a Perception check to notice it. He did not meet the DC.

Everyone make a DC 20 Dodge check followed by a DC 25/20 Toughness check.

If you fail your Toughness check you are also knocked back into the wall behind you and down the stair well. Make another Toughness check at the same DC. Those of you who suffer this Complication get 1 HP.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

Peter managed to bring up enough of a 'hardened' air screen to weaken the blast force and shield him from the shrapnel, even as the wave still threw him back a bit.
Dodge: 1d20+6 22
Toughness: 1d20+10 29

And that's probably going to lead to a crap roll next time.
Games
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego should have been expecting this, but somehow he missed it. As the blast flew at him, he dodged with supernatural quickness and the blast that did hit him got absorbed into his malleable form to be extinguished quickly. When life gives you lemons, make a lemon drop one of old lovers used to say to him. When the soldiers would invariably hear the explosion, they would likely come running. Once it was clear the three of them weren't monsters, selling the story might be easier and hopefully they could make it to the security office for Peter to scan the cameras. Whispering to the others, Diego made sure to reinforce the plan. "Make for the security office.", is all Diego conveyed readying himself to run towards where he once had flame thrown at him.