Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Aurora! Shaman! Wild Child! Box! Snowbird!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Horsenhero wrote:Didn't the "Dragon" member of China Force end up being Jade Dragon? I can't properly remember since despite the fact he turned into a gigantic dragon, he was a gigantic nobody in the long run.
Nope-though he interacted with the team a lot.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The Marvel Wiki says that Auric and Silver may have been members of China Force, but I highly doubt that.
Here's China Force's wiki page, anyway.
And the Marvel Universe Wiki page.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote:And now... Alpha Flight's enemies!! Or, "Why nobody cares about their book". Featured will be such luminaries as Forgettable Dr. Doom Wannabe, Mrs. Goldar!
Hold up! Wait a minute! There is a Mrs Goldar?!

Uhmm, I mean, I already have a Mrs, by the name of Silvar. What will she say about Mrs Goldar? Now ya really got me in trouble, Jab! :lol:
Jabroniville

The Derangers

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DERANGERS:
Okay, so these guys are a one-off set of Alpha Flight opponents, formed by Scramble (Lionel Jeffries) from the mental patients at the New Life Clinic where he worked, but were freed by Alpha Flight's Aurora. They were then taken over by Bedlam in order to fight Alpha Flight again, before Bedlam slaughtered the rest of the team for turning on him. Members Laura Dean & Goblyn ended up joining the Alpha Flight Trainee Team, and sorta became actual Alphans after a while.

The Roster:
1) Bedlam: Started the team.
2) Breakdown: Abused housewife.
3) Freakout: Drug-addled rock star.
4) Janus: Split personalities.
5 & 6) Laurel Dean & Goblyn: Autistic and her twin
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Breakdown

Post by Jabroniville »

BREAKDOWN (Esme Fernando)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Terry Shoemaker
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #48 (July 1987)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Derangers
PL 9 (56)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Housewife) 4 (+4)

Advantages: 
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: High-Powered Energy Breakdown"
Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (27) -- [28]
  • AE: "Energy Fist" Strength-Damage +7 (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Energy Fist +4 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Energy Breakdown +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4 (+10 Force Field), Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Responsibility (Mental Troubles)- Esme had a nervous breakdown after feeling overly-pressured in her life.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 3 (56)

-Breakdown is a depressed housewife who manifested mutant powers and got put onto Bedlam's Derangers- she was killed with the other two when they turned on him. Her powers are pretty basic (Energy Fist & Blowing Up), but she's an interesting look at what happens when a civilian gains super-powers- despite a lifestyle that gives absolutely ZERO TRAINING for the use of super-powers in fights, she nonetheless appears to do okay in super-fights, and is able to tag experienced fighters. Because in comics, everyone instantly gets decent at fighting when they gain some super-powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Freakout

Post by Jabroniville »

FREAKOUT (Arthur Amadeus Van Krijg)
Created By:
Role: Jobber Villain
PL 7 (72)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Heavy Metal Rocker) 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Berserker Rage"
Immunity 2 (Pain Effects) [2]
Enhanced Adavantages 3: Diehard, Last Stand (Ignores Damage For 1 Round With Hero Point), Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +2

Complications:
Addiction (Drugs)- Freakout used so many drugs that he soon lost the ability to feel pain, and became prone to berserker rages.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 10 (72)

-Freakout was a Heavy Metal rocker who got addicted to drugs that left his brain fried- he was then taken over by Bedlam. He was killed when he refused to take the live of an innocent woman (Sasquatch in his "Wanda Langkowski" form- she'd de-powered because she didn't want to kill Freakout in the altercation) during the fight and thus broke his Mind Control- Bedlam skewered him on some stalagmites. He's a really good, psychopathic fighter whose main advantage is that he'll fight long after he should since he can't feel pain. That's... a bit tricky to stat out (I mean, he DOES take the damage, after all), but a 2-Point Immunity (you can't torture him, and some Afflictions work based off of Pain, such as Ghost Rider's Penance Stare) and two Advantages should cut it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Bedlam (Knowles)

Post by Jabroniville »

BEDLAM I (William Knowlan)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Jim Lee
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #52 (Nov. 1987)
Role: Forgotten Villain
PL 9 (117)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Grab-Bag of Mental Powers"
Mind Control 8 (32) -- [36]
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 10 (20)
  • AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (26)
  • AE: TK Blast 10 (20)
  • AE: Illusion (Vision & Hearing) 9 (27)
"TK Field" Force Field 6 [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Mind Control -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
TK Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+10 Force Field), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Enemy (James Hudson)- Hudson gave Bedlam powers, but also imprisoned him in a cocoon. Now he's after Hudson's old team- Alpha Flight.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 12 (117)

-Bedlam was a convicted murderer who agreed to be experimented upon by James "Guardian" Hudson in order to get a pardon- why Hudson decided that a CONVICTED MURDERER should be subjected to an experiment to GIVE HIM SUPER-POWERS is beyond me, but we wouldn't have a story if he didn't! So Bedlam went bad, fought Guardian & Wolverine, got sealed in a cocoon to end his threat, but then got unleashed by a friend of Hudson's who was trying to copy his experiments. He formed The Derangers and went to kill Hudson, but when they turned on him, he killed most of them. He then turned his attentions on Heather "Vindicator" Hudson, at which point she was forced to kill him in order to save her own life.

-Bedlam has a pretty generic Telekinetic/Telepathic power-set, but can take control of the minds of his lame-brained colleagues pretty easily.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I might bump up Freakout's Str to 4, and give him a couple other Advantages-Power Attack, Withstand Damage-the poor guy did stand up to friggin' PL 11 Sasquatch for awhile, after all-and maybe his "costume" was actually body armor. The implication is Walter/Wanda wasn't able to hold back much, because Bedlam was goading everyone on; basically either he reverted to non-powered Wanda or eviscerated Freakout. So the Deranger's "powerhouse" probably had to be at least PL 8 to last a few panels, "new villain stink" notwithstanding.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote:I might bump up Freakout's Str to 4, and give him a couple other Advantages-Power Attack, Withstand Damage-the poor guy did stand up to friggin' PL 11 Sasquatch for awhile, after all-and maybe his "costume" was actually body armor. The implication is Walter/Wanda wasn't able to hold back much, because Bedlam was goading everyone on; basically either he reverted to non-powered Wanda or eviscerated Freakout. So the Deranger's "powerhouse" probably had to be at least PL 8 to last a few panels, "new villain stink" notwithstanding.

All my best.
Yeah, I was wondering about that- I was like "he was brawling with SASQUATCH? How in hell does that work?" I'll stick some extra stuff on him, perhaps to represent somebody in the state of "Excited Delirium", which is a very real and very dangerous thing. Often seen in drug users, the condition gives what looks like "superhuman strength"- really just a normal person with their inhibitions and "don't do that- you'll overstrain and hurt yourself" portions of their brain removed; they tend to keel over and die as soon as the condition ends. It's the source of a lot of those "police taser deaths", because the "victim" needs a taser used on them, but the condition itself is the real killer.

Edit: Okay, I gave him a boost to Strength & Toughness, plus the Advantage. However, I left him at PL 7- it was probably a PL 10-era Sasquatch that fought him, there was "New Villain Stink" involved, AND 'Squatch had to change forms or else kill the guy, implying that he was eventually going to win pretty decisively.
Jabroniville

Janus

Post by Jabroniville »

JANUS II (Willem Vincent)
Created By:
Role: Jobber Villain, Duplicator
PL 7 (92)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11)
Expertise (Heavy Metal Rocker) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold

Powers:
"Duplicate" Summon 5 (Extras: Heroic +2, Continuous) [25]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +1

Complications:
Responsibility (Psychopathic Side)- Janus has a split personality with a psychopathic bent, which disrupts his creativity.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 9 (92)

-Janus was a creative artist-type who had a psychopathic side. He has the power to Summon a Duplicate of himself, and both are great fighters for some unknown reason. He fought Alpha Flight's Manikin, but the rookie's own Summon Power won out once Purple Girl took control of one Duplicate. When The Derangers turned on Bedlam, he controlled one Janus, and the two strangled each other to death. He fights okay for someone who's basically 1/100th of Jamie Madrox.

-There have actually been FOUR Marvel characters named Janus- the first is the son of Dracula, this is the second guy, a goon in Silver Surfer got the name in 1992, and 2006 saw a random Atlantean in Wolverine's post-Civil War arc receive the name. So... a whole lotta winners, right there.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Jabroniville wrote:
greycrusader wrote:I might bump up Freakout's Str to 4, and give him a couple other Advantages-Power Attack, Withstand Damage-the poor guy did stand up to friggin' PL 11 Sasquatch for awhile, after all-and maybe his "costume" was actually body armor. The implication is Walter/Wanda wasn't able to hold back much, because Bedlam was goading everyone on; basically either he reverted to non-powered Wanda or eviscerated Freakout. So the Deranger's "powerhouse" probably had to be at least PL 8 to last a few panels, "new villain stink" notwithstanding.

All my best.
Yeah, I was wondering about that- I was like "he was brawling with SASQUATCH? How in hell does that work?" I'll stick some extra stuff on him, perhaps to represent somebody in the state of "Excited Delirium", which is a very real and very dangerous thing. Often seen in drug users, the condition gives what looks like "superhuman strength"- really just a normal person with their inhibitions and "don't do that- you'll overstrain and hurt yourself" portions of their brain removed; they tend to keel over and die as soon as the condition ends. It's the source of a lot of those "police taser deaths", because the "victim" needs a taser used on them, but the condition itself is the real killer.

Edit: Okay, I gave him a boost to Strength & Toughness, plus the Advantage. However, I left him at PL 7- it was probably a PL 10-era Sasquatch that fought him, there was "New Villain Stink" involved, AND 'Squatch had to change forms or else kill the guy, implying that he was eventually going to win pretty decisively.
The whole Derangers thing is sort of a weird bit of comics trivia-at one point, they were actually going to be a super-hero team, launched in a 4-issue mini; Marvel was going for an offbeat, Doom Patrol style thing with the characters. But then someone at editorial killed the idea, and the Derangers got used as disposable jobbers for a two part AF story.

Which is why they all got this super-condensed one panel "origins", and their powers and fighting skills just come out of nowhere, even with comic book logic involved. I remember Freakout fighting Sasquatch and thinking: uh...does this guy have any real powers? Sasquatch threw the X-Men's plane the length of a football field but the only thing this guy has going is violent psychosis? I guess mentally I just figured (especially given how pumped up he looked) that the drug overdose activated his mutant powers or something, turning him into a guy who might make a good Captain America or Daredevil level villain. Same with Janus-was he supposed to also be a savate or Thai kickboxing expert or something? Because his power is way worse than Flashback's, let alone Multiple Man's abilities. He was basically a male Duo Damsel, but all they gave for background was an artist who suffered Dissociative Personality Disorder. Nothing else at all.

Because Alpha Flight was always just sort of a goofball mess after Byre got too bored writing the thing and bailed.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shaman! Wild Child! Box! Snowbird! Talisman! The Derangers!)

Post by Jabroniville »

That's bizarre- where'd you hear all that? My info gathering didn't turn up that stuff.
Jabroniville

Scramble

Post by Jabroniville »

SCRAMBLE, THE MIXED-UP MAN (Lionel Jeffries)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Mike Mignola
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #30 (Nov. 1987)
Role: Forgotten Villain
PL 9 (211)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Perception 2 (+3)
Treatment 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Control Over Organic Material"
"Create Body Horror" Variable 4 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Continuous) Linked to Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired & Vulnerable/Compelled & Stunned/Transformed & Controlled) (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Extra Condition, Continuous +3) [86]
Healing 8 [16]
Morph 3 (Any Humanoid Form) [15]
Shapeshift 4 [32]
Senses 1 (Communication Link- Madison Jeffries) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Organic Control +8 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+8 Shapeshifting), Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Insane)- Lionel's inability to resurrect many of his fellow fallen soldiers during the Vietnam War drove him insane.
Relationship (Madison Jeffries- Brother)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 150 / Defenses: 12 (211)

-Lionel is the younger brother of Madison "Box" Jeffries, and can control organic materials instead of synthetics and metals like his brother. He went insane after his power proved unable to resurrect dead soldiers during the Vietnam War, and was under constant psychological care for years thereafter. After escaping his bed at a psychiatric hospital, he went on a rampage, creating tons of "Body Horror"-style abominations before accidentally curing his own insanity by turning his powers on himself- he then undid his own chaos.

-Later on, while leading the New Life Clinic, his insanity returned, and he started trying to form a "master race" of superhumans. He also formed a duo with the first Box (Roger Bochs, who wanted Lionel to grow him some new legs), before merging with the ex-Alphan, and soon Alpha Flight had to stop him once again. Madison soon realized that the only way to stop Lionel was to kill him, and so took his own brother's life, while Roger Bochs's personality re-manifested itself, and realized just how evil he'd become.

-Lionel is essentially a more fearsome version of the Morlock known as Masque, and is able to alter people's bodies into horrible creations that are under his direct command (basically Touch Affliction & Affects Others Variable), as well as Heal himself and others. He's only PL 9, but his combination of powers and what is essentially a Minion-Creating power make him a tough threat for a smaller team like Alpha Flight to overcome.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Jabroniville wrote:That's bizarre- where'd you hear all that? My info gathering didn't turn up that stuff.
I had a casual friend who actually interned with Marvel ain the editorial
dept around that time. Told me there all sorts of arbitrary approvals and cancellations of the lower tier stuff.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I was considering doing a build on Janus (Dracula's son, while possesed by the Golden Angel, and not the more modern, vampire version, since that version would likely just be a modification of the vampire template), since you haven't yet, but I haven't read Tomb of Dracula, and have only seen the terrible anime that's sorta an adaptation, Dracula: Sovereign Of the Damned., and he seems pretty powerful while possessed by the Golden Angel. Wikis say he was almost as strong as Dracula, if not as strong as, and I tend to stay away from higher-power characters, since it's out of my comfort zone.