Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ken

Riptide

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Goldar, Superman, RCU Heroes & Villains)

Post by Jabroniville »

Count Zero actually looks pretty cool... though I imagined him a super-villain at first, given the name (how many "Counts" have ever been good guys?) and his faceless nature.

I'm still amazed that you get so many regular players. My group hasn't played a game consistently for more than a couple of adventures since our teens. And I'm just on the cusp of being ignored by pop culture (the 18-35 male demographic).
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

Jabroniville wrote:And I'm just on the cusp of being ignored by pop culture (the 18-35 male demographic).
Pop culture? What's that? Its been so long that I forgot. And even when I fell into that age group, I didn't really pay that much attention to it. ;)
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

jcjec

Post by jcjec »

Ken wrote:As far as the number of regular players go, what isn't evident is our 90% attrition rate. I mean, I've been led to believe that keeping the same campaign world going for nearly three decades is a bit odd. Basically, there's really only 4 of us who've really been in it for the real long haul, and one of those 4 took a 5 or 6 year sabbatical. Count Zero's creator, Doug, might constitute a 5th, but he did have a 15-16 year sabbatical in there.

Our 3 "newcomers" to the group have been gaming with us for 2 or 3 years now, and I hope they're in for the long haul.

We have had other long haulers. One was in for the long haul for the first decade and a half, then took a long sabbatical, then burned his bridges and moved East. One came in around 1998, and was in for years. He, and the friend he dragged in with him are still on the periphery, keeping up with RCU news, but they haven't played in the RCU in a few years. 3 of the 4 of us at the core have had siblings that have been major players at different times.

But there's still the 75 other players who've been a part of the group for anywhere from a session or two to several years that have still come and gone.

I've only scratched the surface.
And this, at the core, is the reason why a majority of the campaigns have leaders that are played either by Ken or myself. It is very hard to have a group leader that may or may not be there after the current adventure. In the core of four / five, Ken runs two campaigns (the CoJ and the Allied Defenders), I run three (Force d'Orleans, Las Vegas Strikeforce Consultants and B.A.D.A.S.S.), Neil runs one, Andy runs Crusader Force and Doug runs Eclipse every couple of years. As he said above, we have three other regular players that have joined us recently, but none of them have shown any interest in stepping up into the leadership role with any of their characters. Neil is a self-professed follower, disliking having to make decisions, and Andy is.... Andy.

I've tried to encourage others to take the leadership role in the past. Andy's Fantastic Man was a great leader on paper, but was fouled up by his player's unwillingness to communicate when it doesn't suit him. I've tried to encourage Neil to lead on occasion, to much consternation on both our parts. Migraine's player stepped up toward the beginning of the Aces, but then fell out of the game due to outside influences until just recently. Eric G's Diamant actually proved to be a good leader of Force d'Orleans for several years, but when he stopped playing, there wasn't a good candidate to step up, short of my NPC, who I didn't want to be telling the players what to do. With an almost complete change-out of the members, it left me with Ham Mulligan as the old guard, who was meant to be the newbie and got pushed through his building story far faster than either Ken or I felt comfortable with. Jason's Stalwart was meant to lead the LVSFC, but quit playing within the first couple of games, leading them to be aimless until Ken agreed to put out his rebellious teen in exchange for a (reluctant) field commander that they needed.

I would love to take some of the pressure off of Ken (and myself, for that matter), but teams need leaders. Even groups like the Champions of Justice, which operates far more by committee than any other, needs someone to step forward when all of the ideas are being retread over and over again and make a decision. As we have a lot of players that like to mull ideas around but not pull the trigger, the leader can do what needs to be done. And my belief is that the GMPC should provide information and allow the players to make up their minds as to which direction to go. I just count myself fortunate that, for the most part, people can respect my PCs enough to allow them to do it when its needed for other GMs.

Just a bit of insight, considering how often its been mentioned that Ken's characters have been put in as leader.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?