Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dan Hibiki! Charlie! Rose! Evil Ryu! Sakura!)

Post by Batgirl III »

danelsan wrote:I really like Makoto's design, too, except for the "please strangle me" thing on her neck. Yeah, yeah, someone who reads a bunch of comic books and plays a bunch of games has had to suspend disbelief for much worse stuff, but sometimes you can't.
Hmm, if only someone would come up with a way to model the potential Drawbacks and Benefits of capes...

(Ya'll see what I did there?)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Karin

Post by Jabroniville »

KARIN (Karin Kanzuki)
Created By:
Unknown
First Appearance: Street Fighter: Sakura Ganbaro/Gives It Her Best! (1996)
Game Appearances: Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter V, Namco X Capcom, Capcom Fighting Evolution
Home Country: Japan
Role: Token Schoolgirl Perv-Bait, The Rich Bitch, The Rival (to Sakura)
Vague Martial Art Basis: Karate & Judo
PL 8 (109)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+13)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 3 (+4)
Insight 3 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+5)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Wealthy Family), Benefit (Uses Close Combat for Feints), Defensive Attack, Evasion, Improved Critical (Fireball), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Guren Ken" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Successfully Feinted Last Round) (Inaccurate -1) (2) -- [3]
  • AE: "Arakuma Inashi" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Opponent Parried Last Round) (Reduced Parry 1, Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Being the Greatest)- Karin is obsessed with being the best- her family motto. She still hunts for Sakura, the only person to ever defeat her. This will be accomplished by beating the $#!& out of people. 
Weakness (Predictability)- Karin, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 9 + 13 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 22 (109)

-Yup, Sakura was such a big hit that she got her very own rival. Your typical "High Falootin' Schoolgirl From a Rich Family" (a popular archetype of both sides of the Pacific, but typically coming with blonde ringlets of hair in Japan), Karin seeks "Victory in all things", because it's the family motto. She debuted in some Sakura-based manga, and uses the typical "blonde even in Japan" look, complete with a frilly red outfit. Karin lost a fight to Sakura, and basically did a "Mini-Sagat", not taking the loss well (see: her family motto), and pursuing Sakura afterwards. In her video game debut, she was also hunting down Shadaloo, because it was threatening the interests of the "Kanzuki Zaibatsu" (ie. corporation). Eventually, she defeats Sakura... but acknowledges that her win was more due to luck than skill, and so she abandons the family motto, and attempts to fight for "the sake of the fight", not just "to win".

-Karin was the huge shocker entrance into Street Fighter V, leaping over a dozen more popular characters- she'd only EVER been in the third Alpha game, aside from two Crossover game appearances! Here, she has taken over her family business, humorously committing a hostile takeover and stealing it from her own dad. Previously calling her opponents "Commoners", she has shifted to a more humble persona, showing real character development (a rarity for this franchise) and begun considering them honored adversaries. At least this version is as ripped as the other SF girls- her Alpha incarnation looks like she'd lose a fistfight against Macauley Culkin.

-Karin is much like Sakura, but has fewer Special Moves- one is basically one of those unpredictable "has multiple strikes generated from the same jumping animation" that Vega has, giving her a bonus if she Feinted well. This makes her a bit more accurate all-around than Sakura (+13 is a HUGE attack bonus for a teenage girl), but less versatile.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Looking at the designs of some of the later builds confirms that I was right to quit gaming after 97
Jabroniville

R. Mika

Post by Jabroniville »

R. MIKA (Rainbow Mika)
Created By:
Unknown
First Appearance: Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998)
Game Appearances: Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter V, Street Fighter X Tekken
Role: Girl Powerhouse, Miss Fanservice
Vague Martial Art Basis: Professional Wrestling
PL 8 (97)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 7 (+9)
Expertise (Pro Wrestling) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)
Persuasion 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive, Chokehold (Daydream Headlock), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 3

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Power Strike" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Special Moves"
"Daydream Headlock" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: +2 to Hit If Opponent Parried Last) (Reduced Parry 1, Inaccurate -2) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Flying Peach/Shooting Peach- Ass Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Paradise Hold/Wingless Airplane/Rainbow Typhoon" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit If Opponent Parried Last) (Reduced Parry 1, Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Daydream Headlock +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Star of the Ring)- R. Mika wants to be the greatest pro wrestler ever, and joins the tournament to this end. This involves beating the $#!& out of people.
Relationship (Zangief)- R. Mika idolizes Zangief soon after meeting him, and wants to impress him. And break him like a pony. Ew.
Weakness (Predictability)- R. Mika, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to her Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 + 13 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 18 (97)

-R. Mika's a character from Street Fighter Alpha 3, back when they were really throwing whatever ideas they had at the wall to see what would stick. She's basically the Sakura to Zangief's Ryu, worshipping The Red Cyclone like a fanatic. Curiously, she resembles the stripperific outfits of '90s-2000s-era WWE women's wrestling more than Japanese Joshi Puroresu, which features some INCREDIBLE athletes, jarring toughness, ugly faces mixed with cute young girls, and incredible workrate. No less than The Dynamite Kid has outright stated that Japanese women's wrestlers were some of the best wrestlers of ANY gender in the world, and that many wrestling moves debut in the women's feds, which then get picked up by the Japanese men, and then American Indie wrestlers steal them. Witness Megumi Kudo's Kudo Driver becoming Shane Helm' "Vertebreaker", and other moves like it. Some American women's wrestlers were great (Trish Stratus, Victoria, Molly Holly chief among them), but none are even CLOSE to Aja Kong, Manami Toyota or Megumi Kudo.

-I find R. Mika's design a bit stupid, though. There's Fanservice and then there's like "HEY LOOK AT MY TITS!", and this is the latter. It comes off as weirdly cloying and embarrassing, versus the simple, good-natured perversion of Cammy's Power Thong or something like that. It's basically like the Jiggle Physics of Dead Or Alive, a series which pushed the Fanservice so hard they're more well known for that than any gameplay qualities the series had. Hilariously, despite wearing THIS OUTFIT, fans still complained because Capcom altered the camera in one scene where she gratuitously slaps her ass as the set-up for a move, so you could not longer see it. I'm like... in a world where DeviantArt (and much, MUCH more hardcore options) is available, why is THAT a big deal?

-R. Mika's a solid comedy character, at least- her outfit and her obsession with Zangief is played entirely for laughs- she klutzes around, uses her butt for attacks, and plays up to the camera. Pretty much your standard Anime Miss Fanservice deal here. The Udon comics feature her a lot more than the games ever did (after Alpha 3, she basically fell off the face of the Earth until coming in as a surprise entrant for Street Fighter V). But she gets extra points for calling the "Wrap My Thighs Around The Opponent" move the "Paradise Hold".

-Fighting Style: R. Mika's a teenage girl-type fighter, but utilizes a lot more Grappling in her Special Moves and regular offense- this makes her fairly unique, as most Capcom Grapplers are monsters like Alex, Zangief & Hugo. She's hardly elite by any means, but she fits the PL 8 status of the other "Young Girl" fighters in the franchise. She'll have to appear in a few more games before I elevate her to "PL 9" status. Her Wingless Airplane is a Frankensteiner, and her Rainbow Typhoon a Giant Swing- the others are kind of random throws. One of her Supers entails doing a Moonsault off of a ringpost that has come out of nowhere (clearly there for laughs, but it implies some Create Object), while Street Fighter V adds one where her PARTNER, Yamato Nadeshiko (named after the "Japanese Ideal Woman" archetype- a strong woman hidden beneath a veil of calm, serene femininity), comes out of nowhere to assist in a finishing move.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I meant to comment when you posted Zangief, but never got around to it. The tournament you ran did a good job showing how grapple rules for Mutants and Masterminds need work. It's funny how for most rpg systems the rules for grappling are either overpowered or (in Mutants and MAsterminds case) pretty ineffective, there is almost never a middle a ground.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I recall in 2e, they were broken in the OTHER direction, as a strong guy could grab an elite fighter once and basically end the fight instantly. Granted, it was easier if you were like "Comic Book Strong", but yeah- in that Tourney, there was NO WAY you could grapple a rival anywhere near your strength level. T.Hawk & Sheeva were attempting grapples with every hit, and failed every single time.

It rendered "Grab-Based" moves completely worthless, which is one of the first things I removed when I went over these guys' stats.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Oh yea, in 2E grapples were really strong. 3E grapple rules seemed like a bit of an over-correction. I almost wonder if grab should use Athletics instead of just Strength. That way super strong characters can still just brute force it (since Athletics can be used untrained), but people with actual training in the skill are still viable grapplers.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ken

Post by Ken »

L-Space wrote:I almost wonder if grab should use Athletics instead of just Strength. That way super strong characters can still just brute force it (since Athletics can be used untrained), but people with actual training in the skill are still viable grapplers.
That seems like a good idea. I like it.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: R. Mika

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: "Daydream Headlock" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: +2 to Hit If Opponent Parried Last) (Reduced Parry 1, Inaccurate -2) (2) -- [4]
AE: "Flying Peach/Shooting Peach- Ass Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
For those of us who don't play the game, what are the "Daydream Headlock" and "Shooting Peach-Ass Attack"?

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Ken wrote:For those of us who don't play the game, what are the "Daydream Headlock" and "Shooting Peach-Ass Attack"?
Daydream Headlock is pretty much where she performs a crushing headlock and then jumps forward slamming their face in the ground. The Shooting Peach (it is not officially known as the Ass Attack :lol:) is where she jumps at the opponent and hits them with her butt. How that is supposed to actually do damage to an opponent, I have no idea. It would be pretty distracting though :).
Formerly luketheduke86
Ken

Post by Ken »

L-Space wrote:The Shooting Peach (it is not officially known as the Ass Attack :lol:) is where she jumps at the opponent and hits them with her butt. How that is supposed to actually do damage to an opponent, I have no idea. It would be pretty distracting though :).
Well, getting hit by 140 lbs. of anything being flung at you is going to hurt, even if it's fairly sift and nice to look at.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote:
Jabroniville wrote: "Daydream Headlock" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: +2 to Hit If Opponent Parried Last) (Reduced Parry 1, Inaccurate -2) (2) -- [4]
AE: "Flying Peach/Shooting Peach- Ass Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
For those of us who don't play the game, what are the "Daydream Headlock" and "Shooting Peach-Ass Attack"?
Usually if a move has a weird name, I describe it after the official name. Hence, Shooting Peach has the descriptor "Ass Attack".
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote:Image

R. MIKA (Rainbow Mika)
Created By:
Unknown
First Appearance: Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998)
Game Appearances: Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter V, Street Fighter X Tekken
Role: Girl Powerhouse, Miss Fanservice
Vague Martial Art Basis: Professional Wrestling
PL 8 (97)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 7 (+9)
Expertise (Pro Wrestling) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)
Persuasion 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive, Chokehold (Daydream Headlock), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 3

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Power Strike" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Special Moves"
"Daydream Headlock" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: +2 to Hit If Opponent Parried Last) (Reduced Parry 1, Inaccurate -2) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Flying Peach/Shooting Peach- Ass Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Paradise Hold/Wingless Airplane/Rainbow Typhoon" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit If Opponent Parried Last) (Reduced Parry 1, Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Special Moves +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Daydream Headlock +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Star of the Ring)- R. Mika wants to be the greatest pro wrestler ever, and joins the tournament to this end. This involves beating the $#!& out of people.
Relationship (Zangief)- R. Mika idolizes Zangief soon after meeting him, and wants to impress him. And break him like a pony. Ew.
Weakness (Predictability)- R. Mika, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to her Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 + 13 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 18 (97)

-R. Mika's a character from Street Fighter Alpha 3, back when they were really throwing whatever ideas they had at the wall to see what would stick. She's basically the Sakura to Zangief's Ryu, worshipping The Red Cyclone like a fanatic. Curiously, she resembles the stripperific outfits of '90s-2000s-era WWE women's wrestling more than Japanese Joshi Puroresu, which features some INCREDIBLE athletes, jarring toughness, ugly faces mixed with cute young girls, and incredible workrate. No less than The Dynamite Kid has outright stated that Japanese women's wrestlers were some of the best wrestlers of ANY gender in the world, and that many wrestling moves debut in the women's feds, which then get picked up by the Japanese men, and then American Indie wrestlers steal them. Witness Megumi Kudo's Kudo Driver becoming Shane Helm' "Vertebreaker", and other moves like it. Some American women's wrestlers were great (Trish Stratus, Victoria, Molly Holly chief among them), but none are even CLOSE to Aja Kong, Manami Toyota or Megumi Kudo.

-I find R. Mika's design a bit stupid, though. There's Fanservice and then there's like "HEY LOOK AT MY TITS!", and this is the latter. It comes off as weirdly cloying and embarrassing, versus the simple, good-natured perversion of Cammy's Power Thong or something like that. It's basically like the Jiggle Physics of Dead Or Alive, a series which pushed the Fanservice so hard they're more well known for that than any gameplay qualities the series had. Hilariously, despite wearing THIS OUTFIT, fans still complained because Capcom altered the camera in one scene where she gratuitously slaps her ass as the set-up for a move, so you could not longer see it. I'm like... in a world where DeviantArt (and much, MUCH more hardcore options) is available, why is THAT a big deal?

-R. Mika's a solid comedy character, at least- her outfit and her obsession with Zangief is played entirely for laughs- she klutzes around, uses her butt for attacks, and plays up to the camera. Pretty much your standard Anime Miss Fanservice deal here. The Udon comics feature her a lot more than the games ever did (after Alpha 3, she basically fell off the face of the Earth until coming in as a surprise entrant for Street Fighter V). But she gets extra points for calling the "Wrap My Thighs Around The Opponent" move the "Paradise Hold".

-Fighting Style: R. Mika's a teenage girl-type fighter, but utilizes a lot more Grappling in her Special Moves and regular offense- this makes her fairly unique, as most Capcom Grapplers are monsters like Alex, Zangief & Hugo. She's hardly elite by any means, but she fits the PL 8 status of the other "Young Girl" fighters in the franchise. She'll have to appear in a few more games before I elevate her to "PL 9" status. Her Wingless Airplane is a Frankensteiner, and her Rainbow Typhoon a Giant Swing- the others are kind of random throws. One of her Supers entails doing a Moonsault off of a ringpost that has come out of nowhere (clearly there for laughs, but it implies some Create Object), while Street Fighter V adds one where her PARTNER, Yamato Nadeshiko (named after the "Japanese Ideal Woman" archetype- a strong woman hidden beneath a veil of calm, serene femininity), comes out of nowhere to assist in a finishing move.

....on the other hand
Jabroniville

Ingrid

Post by Jabroniville »

INGRID (aka "The Eternal Goddess")
Created By:
Hidetoshi Ishizawa
First Appearance: Capcom Fighting Evolution (2004)
Game Appearnaces: Capcom Fighting Evolution, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (Updated Re-Release)
Home Country: Unknown
Role: Mary Sue, Magical Girl
Vague Martial Art Basis: Unknown
PL 8 (143)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+13)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+13)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (History) 11 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+7)
Insight 8 (+11)
Perception 6 (+9)
Technology 7 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Sunshot) 2, Improved Critical (Sun Moves) 2, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Martial Strike" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Special Moves"
Mind-Reading 4 (8) -- [11]
  • AE: "Sunshot" Blast 4 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Reduced Defenses 2) (5)
  • AE: "Sun Arch" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Sun Upper/Lower & Sun Dive" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Sunshot +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Sun Moves +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications: 
Motivation (Getting Psycho Power Back From Bison)- Ingrid apparently used to have the Psycho Power that Bison now has, and she wants it back. This will be accomplished by beating the $#!% out of people.
Weakness (Predictability)- Ingrid, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to her Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 15 + 13 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 22 (143)

-Ingrid's a controversial addition to the canon. Debuting in Capcom Fighting Evolution (a failed 2-D fighter that attempted to throw a bunch of different characters into one game), she basically acts as a bad FanFic character come to life- she's a super-wise teenage girl who's a counter-point to an established major character (Bison), controls the same power (which is already covered as a concept by Rose), has SILVER HAIR, is a Very Special Snowflake, and even gets to recite a "You Suck" speech against Bison that he's not as capable or as powerful as she is. She's fairly well-hated by the fandom for good reason, and her only in-canon appearance is the handheld version of Street Fighter Alpha 3, which probably doesn't count.

-Fighting Style: Ingrid is another standard Girl Fighter, but she can also read minds. I made her PL 8 because she's a one-shot loser who we'll probably never see again, but there's some evidence that she can time travel (by what means we have no idea). She might even have other powers, but this is all that shows up in her video game self.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

and now we're back