Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (X-Statix! The Hellions! Genrration X!)

Post by Jabroniville »

X-Cutioner's Song- Part Nine (Uncanny X-Men #296):
* Cyclops & Jean make their jailbreak, and attack many of the Dark Riders on their way through Stryfe's base- Peterson's art is a fair bit better, here- I wonder if he was pressed for time earlier. They seem to be doing a little better than most of the heroes up till this point, as they can hold off the entire team- none of the DRs are down for long, but Scott manages to shrug off a Blast of some kind and they're doing alright. A lot of the rest of the issue is establishing what's happened so far, what Apocalypse is doing (he offers to cure Xavier if they join him in attacking Stryfe), and Stryfe going through some weird roundabout method of "proving" that Scott & Jean will sacrifice an innocent baby to save themselves, because he thinks that's what they're all about. When they refuse, he's all doubt-ridden and upset.

Part Ten (X-Factor #86):
* Jae Lee's art takes a MAJOR upgrade in the drawing of the X-people in the Page 2-3 Splash here, especially with the women's hair. Archangel looks beyond menacing, and even Apocalypse looks cool instead of the weird "anorexic swirling tentacle monster" he was under the others. Apocalypse manages to save Xavier's life, super-charging the T-O Virus and letting it go out of control- this extinguishes it once it converts Xavier's entire body to machinery... which then reverts it BACK (SCIENCE!). Meanwhile, Stryfe demands Scott & Jean submit to him and beg for mercy, and they refuse. And AGAIN he whines about how he doesn't get it. And finally, Cable, Bishop & Wolverine "Bodyslide" to Stryfe's Moonbase, only to encounter a full squadron of Dark Riders.

These last two have been almost entirely focused on setting us up for the endgame- not a bad idea in a 12-part story, really. It makes the "Big Finale" seem bigger.
Jabroniville

Jubilee

Post by Jabroniville »

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT IS TWO-THOUSAND SEVENTEEN PUT AWAY THE GODDAMNED GIANT YELLOW JACKET!!

JUBILEE (Jubilation Lee)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Marc Silvestri
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #244 (May 1989)
Role: Annoying Teenage Girl, Mall Rat, Replacement for Kitty Pryde, Uber-Dated Character, The Totally Radical One
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, Generation X, The New Warriors III
PL 8 (108)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Street Rat) 4 (+4)
Insight 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Daze (Deception), Evasion, Improved Trip, Luck, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Plasmoid Fireworks"
Dazzle Visuals 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24) -- [28]
  • AE: Dazzle Visuals 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Touch Range) (14)
  • AE: Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)
  • AE: "Plasma Blast" Blast 9 (18)
  • AE: "Plasma Fury" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (16)
"Mind Shield" Enhanced Will Save 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Attacks) [2]
Immunity (Own Powers) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Fireworks +7 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Area Fireworks +7 (+7 Affliction, DC 17)
Multi-Blast +7 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Blast +7 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Plasma Fury +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +1 (+2 D.Roll), Fortitude +3, Will +5 (+9 vs. Mental Attacks)

Complications:
Responsibility (Riff-Raff... Street Rat...)- Jubilation Lee was orphaned at a young age, and was forced to live on the streets.
Reputation (Horrible, Horrible Fashion Sense)- The giant yellow eyesore of an overcoat is one thing, but the giant green shades and pink shirt?
Responsibility (Wolverine)- Jubilee had a mentor in Logan, who viewed her as some kind of link to innocence.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 16 (108)

Jubilee- A Decade of Terror:
-Oh dear God, don't even get me started on Jubilee. OK, I just have to: Desperate for another "lighter touch" to Wolverine stories that Kitty Pryde used to produce, and with proto-'90s artists desperate to make more people wearing trenchcoats in books they drew, Marvel popped in another character to the later-Claremont X-Men. Enter Jubilee, who quickly went to the 1980s-inspired "reader insert" character; ie. the plucky, sarcastic teenage character who got to hang around all the big, tough and cool X-Men, while remaining flippant and comedic throughout. The only problem is, Marvel did the EXACT SAME THING years earlier with Kitty Pryde, so this rubbed old fans the wrong way with a new replicant of the old concept. Plus Marc Silvestri (I always assumed it was Jim Lee, but it wasn't) basically copied almost the exact design of Boom-Boom, who'd appeared years earlier in the Secret Wars II storyline, and was now a regular in X-Factor.

-So the character was a double rip-off, wandering around, being "comedically wacky" and making sarcastic jokes and calling people "Dweebs" and saying "fer shoor" and stuff (it was the early '90s). But hey, Marvel was busy giving the artists (Lee took over the X-art by this point) whatever they wanted to keep them happy, so that forgives THEM a little bit. But then Jim & the other Image boys leave Marvel high and dry, recreating all their characters in Image, so Marvel's stuck with Kitty/Boomer Lite, and they have to give her something to do.

-Jubilee was pretty much only around for a single decade, but since this contained the 1990s X-Men cartoon, it brought her to more people's attention than poor Kitty Pryde did (MAN would Kitty have been a better character for that cartoon, too- she'd fit in so much better). Brought in during the LATE late '80s, Jubes had fairly weak powers, a lot of attitude, and was pretty much the embodiment of what supremely uncool adults thought "hip" teenagers of that era were like. Yeah, we all apparently liked giant hoop earrings, big Canary Yellow trenchcoats, and green wrap-around sunglasses. This is annoying for me, because the whole "Mall Rat" stereotype is something that teen fans used to write in to the New Mutants book with PRAISE for avoiding- showing teenagers as something other than braind-dead pop culture-spouting imbeciles. Jubilee instead confirmed all of that.

-Almost every bit of her dialogue in this era was excruciating- babbling incessantly, grousing about everything, and even saying words like "def". She wasn't any good in fights. Her insight was about zero. There were a small handful of good moments (her reaction to the death of Illyana Rasputin being one of them), and she DID once crack a joke about Iceman wacking off to National Geographic's "Naked Pygmies" ("DRAAAAAAAAAAAKE!! Time to be master of your DOMAAAA-AAAAAIINNNN!!!"), but for the most part, The Decade of a Million Jubilee Stories was an awful one.

Jubilee's History:
-Jubilee discovered the X-Men while hiding out and living in a mall (yes, a literal MALL. She embodied being a mall rat THAT MUCH), following some of the X-Ladies home. She uncovers Wolverine being tortured by the Reavers, helps him off the makeshift crucifix, and helps him heal. After this, she essentially becomes his new sidekick, going on a World Tour with him and eventually joining the X-Men. She thus takes a part in both his book, and the X-Men one, splitting off with the "Jim Lee-Drawn" guys in the spin-off book of the early '90s. Here is where I met (and hated) the character. Around this time, most of that squad was introduced in the X-Men Animated Series, which used Jubilee constantly early on, making her super-annoying and dating the cartoon for years (if the leather jackets hadn't already done so). Seriously, any other character save Dazzler would have dated the cartoon less- Jubes had only been around for a few years by that point, and her quick descent into obscurity made this cartoon more "Made in the early '90s" than any other 'toon of its era.

-The mid '90s would be the true test of her character, when Wolverine abandoned her to do his solo-book stuff (he was going through Adamantium withdrawal, turned monstrous, etc.), and she was thus "orphaned". Her status as a big-name X-Woman and the cartoon made her ideal for the "spin-off" book Generation X, and so Jubilee went from "Teen Sidekick" to "Teen Ensemble Cast" in an attempt to give the new team some credibility (ie. not build a book entirely with new characters).

-Jubilee in Gen X was a modification of her past self, as she started acting like Kitty used to act with the New Mutants, doing a "When *I* was with the X-Men..." routine. However, the book's slow slide into unpopularity would essentially put the axe to her character for good- some of her co-stars got to "upgrade" to X-teams, but for whatever reason, nobody felt like doing the same with "damaged goods"- an established character. So Chuck Austen used Husk, and another guy used Chamber, and M say play in Peter David's books... but Jubilee basically disappeared. She was crucified on the X-Mansion's lawn along with other "forgotten" characters, and went on a couple missions with an X-team, but wandered off again- even a book by Robert "Invincible/The Walking Dead" Kirkman tanked, pretty much sealing her fate then and there. She was thus chosen as one of the few established characters to lose her powers on M-Day!

Forgotten Jubilee:
-Jubes would go through the wringer after this, briefly joining that failed New Warriors squad of other de-powered mutants as "Wondra". After that, they did a REAL left turn, suddenly infecting her with vampirism and making her a full-fledged blood-drinker! And that wasn't a one-off- that power STAYED. Vampire Jubilee is now her status quo, and she's appeared in a handful of books that way, including X-23's (which is the only time I've found Jubilee palatable). And oddly, she became a mother- adopting a young baby named Shogo.

-Ultimately, Jubilee now stands as one of the most forgotten & dated of the "Main" X-Men. Though more important than most one-offs or jokes (Stacey X, Maggott), she's held back by so many factors. First off, her "iconic appearance" is pretty much just a monstrosity of dated '90s-ness, which means she can't REALLY pull off the same outfit in modern times. Secondly, her "Teen Sidekick" schtick has been done both before and later, so she's redundant on that front. Thirdly, she's aged past that point anyways, and they never established what "Adult Jubilee" should be, like they did with Kitty Pryde. And so she sticks out like this sore thumb along with many other '90s characters, makes the '90s Cartoon look weirdly dated (though let's face it- the constant use of Bishop & Cable, plus Gambit and the "Jim Lee" costumes also does that job), and she's gone through this weird Crucifixion/De-Powered/Super-Costumed/Vampire phase that makes her history bizarrely convoluted for such a "new" charater (a mere 30-ish years old!). I mean, reading that last bit of stuff that's happened to her may as well have "The writers have no clue what to do with her" written on them, it's so obvious.

Jubilee's Stats:
-Jubilee is not that tough- a low-level Blaster, inspired pretty much entirely by Boom-Boom, who was herself no powerhouse. Emma Frost declared her "potentially the most powerful mutant ever", like half the kids in that freakin' book (one of my big pet peeves about it), because she could blow up matter subatomically or some crap, but she was no major player. So yeah, she's pretty much done as a character by now, I think. She's just SUCH an icon of the weird '90s Jim Lee era, and nobody really wants to touch her anymore. And since Generation X eventually became a forgotten, third-tier book, it led nowhere, and her powers never developed.

-Jubilee's a team Sidekick, and fits that by being a PL 8 fighter who's not very strong or tough, but is quick, hard to hit, and a decent supporter with her visual Dazzles and a Blast- all of which hit reasonable levels in her adulthood. There's not really much else to her, truth be told. Most of the New Mutants could have kicked her butt.

JUBILEE (Jubilation Lee)- Early '90s Version
Created By:
Role: Annoying Teenage Girl, Mall Rat, Replacement for Kitty Pryde, Uber-Dated Character, The Totally Radical One
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, Generation X
PL 7 (105)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Deception 4 (+5)
Insight 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Daze (Deception), Evasion, Improved Trip, Luck, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Plasmoid Fireworks"
Dazzle Visuals 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24) -- [26]
  • AE: Dazzle Visuals 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Touch Range) (14)
  • AE: Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)
Immunity (Own Powers) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Fireworks +7 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Area Fireworks +7 (+7 Affliction, DC 17)
Multi-Blast +7 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +1 (+2 D.Roll), Fortitude +3, Will +5 (+9 vs. Mental Attacks)

Complications:
Responsibility (Riff-Raff... Street Rat...)- Jubilation Lee was orphaned at a young age, and was forced to live on the streets.
Reputation (Horrible, Horrible Fashion Sense)- The giant yellow eyesore of an overcoat is one thing, but the giant green shades and pink shirt?
Responsibility (Wolverine)- Jubilee had a mentor in Logan, who viewed her as some kind of link to innocence.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 17 (105)

-'90s Jubilee is only marginally cheaper, but less effective overall

NOPE NOT HOMOEROTIC AT ALL.

JUBILEE (Jubilation Lee)- Vampire Powers
Created By:
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, Generation X, The New Warriors III
PL 9 (157)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Deception 4 (+5)
Insight 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Daze (Deception), Fast Grab, Evasion, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Luck, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Startle, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Vampire"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrowth) [5]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Vampiric Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]

"Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage Linked to Weaken Stamina 8 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to One Rank Per Round) [2]

"Vapor Form" (Activation -2) [-2]
Insubstantial 3 [15]
Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Flaws: Partial) [2]
Flight 1 (4 mph) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Vampire's Bite +10 (+8 Damage & +8 Weaken, DC 23 & 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +7 (+8 D.Roll), Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications:
Vulnerable (Requires Blood)- Without blood, Jubilee will die- she constantly hungers for the substance. A teammate bleeding in her vicinity is in grave danger, especially if she hasn't fed for a while.
Weakness (Sunlight, Silver, Holy Water)- Either will cause the equivalent of Damage 10, and is not able to be Regenerated.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Vampires must succeed in a Will Check against the wielder's Presence, or else suffer from Affliction 10 (Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed).
Disabled (Garlic)- Vampires will not willing pass doors covered with garlic, and the stuff itself is noxious poison to them.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 67 / Defenses: 13 (157)

-Jubilee as a vampire is a fair bit more dangerous than her regular self, being a very fast, blood-draining fighter. She can turn into Vapor as well, but that's the only other uber-Vampire trick I've heard of her doing.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (X-Statix! The Hellions! Generation X! Jubilee!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, I'm always stunned at how long my bios have gotten :). Characters I don't even LIKE (Sage, Jubilee) end up with a full page's worth of essay points about how much they suck, and characters I DO enjoy get just as long stuff praising them. I think that's gonna be my new "style"- laziness with the builds (some barely alter from when I last posted them), but a TON more info, and a little Character History that reads like a less-detailed, more-opinionated version of Wikipedia's bios. Lord knows the X-people have the worst overly-detailed Wiki bios ever (just read Rogue's or X-23's if you don't believe me).
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

And you'll be happy to know that Generation X will be making a return to comics with the Vampire Jubilee (with her child? She has a baby now?) in prominent roles. Also in the series will be Quentin Quire, Eye Boy, Bling, Nature Girl, Benjamin Deeds (?) and a new guy. They're going to be in a new Xavier Institute in Central Park (don't ask me...I just work here).

I know you're thrilled to hear about favorite characters of yours returning to comics.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Horsenhero wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 am And you'll be happy to know that Generation X will be making a return to comics with the Vampire Jubilee (with her child? She has a baby now?) in prominent roles. Also in the series will be Quentin Quire, Eye Boy, Bling, Nature Girl, Benjamin Deeds (?) and a new guy. They're going to be in a new Xavier Institute in Central Park (don't ask me...I just work here).

I know you're thrilled to hear about favorite characters of yours returning to comics.
Huh- sounds like a collection of "One Kid From Each Generation", actually- Jubilee from the '90s/Gen X. Quire from the Morrison era. Bling! (remember, you have to include the "!") from the Young X-Men era. Eye Boy & Nature Girl from Wolverine and the X-Men. Deeds from the "Semi-Dark Cyclops and His X-Men Renegades" book (he was the guy who could copy the appearances of others and mess with tech).

And yes, I had to look up who Nature Girl & Deeds were. The former was 100% a Backgrounder, and Deeds never got a cool nickname so I forgot what his was. Plus it's been a while.

I will say that Vampire Jubilee in X-23 was the most tolerable I've ever found that character, so maybe she won't fill the book with miserable suck. Angsty Jubilee is more fun that "40-Year-Old Writing Teen Slang" Jubilee.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (X-Statix! The Hellions! Genrration X!)

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:26 am Huh- this is the second time in only a few months that someone I've had an almost-physical altercation (ie. Hobo screaming at and threatening me after I told him to quit harassing people) with has turned up dead: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmo ... -1.3950701

Apparently I've gained godlike powers over life and death. Someone better warn all my enemies.

Shit, has anyone heard from Fildrigar in a while?
You're almost as dangerous to be around as Jessica Fletcher.
Last edited by M4C8 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:44 am
Horsenhero wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 am And you'll be happy to know that Generation X will be making a return to comics with the Vampire Jubilee (with her child? She has a baby now?) in prominent roles. Also in the series will be Quentin Quire, Eye Boy, Bling, Nature Girl, Benjamin Deeds (?) and a new guy. They're going to be in a new Xavier Institute in Central Park (don't ask me...I just work here).

Huh- sounds like a collection of "One Kid From Each Generation", actually- Jubilee from the '90s/Gen X. Quire from the Morrison era. Bling! (remember, you have to include the "!") from the Young X-Men era. Eye Boy & Nature Girl from Wolverine and the X-Men. Deeds from the "Semi-Dark Cyclops and His X-Men Renegades" book (he was the guy who could copy the appearances of others and mess with tech).

And yes, I had to look up who Nature Girl & Deeds were. The former was 100% a Backgrounder, and Deeds never got a cool nickname so I forgot what his was. Plus it's been a while.

I will say that Vampire Jubilee in X-23 was the most tolerable I've ever found that character, so maybe she won't fill the book with miserable suck. Angsty Jubilee is more fun that "40-Year-Old Writing Teen Slang" Jubilee.
I actually like Chamber, if nothing else he looks kind of cool and his powers have great potential but as you've stated he's been relegated to a background at best. So far it doesn't look like he's even going to appear in the new Generation-X book which includes nobodies such as Bling, Nature Girl and Morph (Deeds)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I heard rumblings of a New Mutants movie being in development, but I dunno about that.

Also, man, what weird stuff has been going on in Marvel lately, and with characters being replaced? Especially in the Iron Man books and Civil War II having been a thing. (Seriously, why?)
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:02 pm I heard rumblings of a New Mutants movie being in development, but I dunno about that.

Also, man, what weird stuff has been going on in Marvel lately, and with characters being replaced? Especially in the Iron Man books and Civil War II having been a thing. (Seriously, why?)
Marvel has been on a mission to broaden the number of ethnicities represented in the collective company portfolio. Since creating and selling new characters has proven extremely difficult and there is probably pressure coming down from their evil overlords (Disney) to get it done, we now have Ironheart (essentially Gizmo from the Initiative repackaged with a cooler name), a re-introduction of Captain America 2099 and more. You can blame or credit (take your pick) the success of Miles Morales for this strategy.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

... I collected all of Generation X.

I'm not entirely sure why, except that it was a teen-focused book, and I was a teenager who was first able to start collecting comics right as it debuted. I mean, I didn't like most of the characters. Synch was boring. Skin was simultaneously ridiculous and boring, which is a neat trick. Jubilee was... Jubilee. Monet was a stereotypical snob, Penance was an anti-character, and together they form one of the most convoluted bits of useless, pointless chicanery in comics history. Chamber had an interesting concept, if you examined it, because he was basically a purely psionic being walking around in the useless husk of his ruined former body... and yet still managed to be a stupid stereotype of British hipster musicians. And then there's Husk. Oh, boy, Husk...

Husk was probably the reason why I got hooked on this comic. I was... shall we say "involved?" Involved with a blonde from Kentucky at this point in my life, so Husk was extremely My Type when the book came out. Insta-crush. (We all know how crushes on comics characters are strange and foreign things around here, right?) When the book started, she was depicted as being extremely competent and confident and prepared to take on Monet for the role of team leader. Then, the team hit its first bit of adversity, and she reverted to "aw, shucks, country girl in over her head" immediately, and never came back as far as I could see.

Oh, and the stories were pretty bad too.

Still, I liked Banshee and Emma Frost as they were presented in that book, so I guess that's something?
Jabroniville

Husk

Post by Jabroniville »

HUSK (Paige Guthrie)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Jackson Guice; Fabian Nicieza & Tony Daniel
First Appearance: The New Mutants #42 (Aug. 1986- generic Guthrie Sibling), X-Force #32 (March 1994- as Paige)
Role: Annoying Younger Sibling, Wannabe Superhero
Group Affiliations: Generation X, The X-Men
PL 9 (127)
STRENGTH
1/9 STAMINA 2/7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Farming) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Computers) 7 (+9)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 6 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Interpose, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Alternative Forms Via Shedding Outer Layer"
Variable 6 (Flaws: Limited to Humanoid Single-Substance Forms) [36]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs, Diehard) (Flaws: Requires Shedding Form) [4]

(Form Examples)
"Diamond Form" (Strength 8, Stamina 5, Protection +2, Increased Mass 1) (29)
"Rubber Form" (Insubstantial 1, Stamina 3, Protection +2, Elongation, Immunity to Falling Damage) (19)
"Acid Form" (Insubstantial 1, Weaken Toughness Aura 5- Affects Objects) (30)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Strong Forms +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2 (+9 Strong Forms), Fortitude +4 (+9 Strong Forms), Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Guthrie Family)- Paige is second-oldest, and is a rival of sorts to Cannonball, who she admires, but doesn't want to follow the mistakes of (such as going on the run with X-Force).
Relationship (Chamber or Archangel)- Paige fell for the deformed bad-boy Chamber while on Gen-X, but she also went for uber-rich team leader Warren Worthington III while on Chuck Austen's run.
Quirk (Temporary Nudist)- Paige's clothes are shed along with her skin whenever she "Husks" to a new form. This can prove embarassing, provided there's not enough Censor Steam around.
Power Loss (Husking)- Paige must be able to physically tear away her dermal layer to properly change forms. She also must know the chemical make-up of her form, meaning that she has to memorize most of them, and can't just randomly invent new ones.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 13 (127)

Husk the Newbie:
-Husk was initially Sam Guthrie's annoying younger sister, dreaming of bright lights and big cities while being an awesome mutant superhero (in contrast to the more humble country-boy Sam, who would've been plenty happy to just be on the farm). She had a decent, interesting mutant power, essentially like Colossus but with more versatility, but with a "shedding" add-on, making it a bit more unique. In her debut story (Child's Play- a crossover between X-Force and The New Warriors, featuring the Hellions & New Mutants being kidnapped by The Upstarts), she comes up with the idea to have the Gamesmaster try to guide the next generation of mutants, in opposition to Xavier & Magneto, bringing the conflict to an end. This sets up up adequately to be one of the major stars of The Phalanx Covenant, leading into Generation X.

-In her new book, Husk sort of acted like "the normal one", dropping her Southern accent and behaving like a typical teenager. However, she had an off & on thing with Chamber (and his missing lower face), and develops into the team's computer expert. However, she became one of the more odd characters after Generation X ended, as she went onto Banshee's disastrous "X-Corps" (which ended in his death), and then Chuck Austen's legendarily bad 2001 Uncanny X-Men book, which featured her dating her team leader, Angel, who by this point was... a certain number of years older. She was nineteen, and he was at least as old as Spider-Man, Cyclops and others. So not QUITE as creepy as some people made it out to be. But the scene where they have a romantic moment, and he takes her clothes off in mid-air to bang... while her MOTHER is standing beneath them? No. Just... it's Chuck Austen. He sucks and is weird when it comes to sex.

Post-Austen Husk:
-Austen was soon booted off the book, and Paige kind of disappeared for a long time, being one of those "background characters" that just kind of shows up every once in a while. Her relationship with Angel was glossed-over and largely forgotten. She was a minor character in Wolverine and the X-Men, which showed her fraying mental condition over several problems (such as the deaths of three of her siblings at the school) manifest in "flaking" skin and other bizarre behavior, all while The Toad (the janitor at the school) developed a crush on her. She eventually goes completely batty, joins the Hellfire Academy, and fights the X-Men, only for Toad to rescue her by tearing off layer after layer of her skin, revealing a "normal" Paige underneath, amnesiac to everything that's happened. It was eventually revealed that her powers "husked" not only her skin, but her mind- a Secondary Mutation. She made a brief attempt to actually date the Toad for real (in gratitude for him saving her), but he eventually confessed that he figured she'd always be disgusted by him, and went off with some villains, leaving her crying.

-Husk overall is a bit of an odd one. First off, her code-name is TERRIBLE. Her visual appearance is "Generic Blonde Chick" (early X-Force issues had her as a skinny platinum blonde, which might have worked better). Her powers are somewhat interesting, but usually minor-league- I think she'd be better off in the "Colossus" tier of Strength instead of somewhere below Rogue, Beast and others. And her personality is just kind of... bleh. She's one of those female characters dependent on the male characters in her life- her relationships with Chamber, Angel and then Toad of all people... those defined her more than her personality ever did. And her "flaking personality" thing in W & tXM was probably my least-favorite running story-arc of that book, as it had the other teachers ignoring her obvious mental distress, Toad's creepy crush being "rewarded" in the end, and it generally just wasn't all that interesting.

Husk's Powers:
-Husk started out as mostly an unskilled teenage character, and didn't get a huge amount of boosts. It's pretty clear that she's one of the weaker X-Men, since she's just an "upgrade" of a teenager and thus isn't a master of using her powers yet, and only got onto the Big Leagues of exactly one short-lived team. Her "Husking" is basically a Limited Variable (not a Move Action like a Shapeshift is- it takes a bit too much time), since she can adopt any outer shell, but is limited to humanoids (in her debut, she actually turned into A BIRD, but this has never been replicated, as I guess they didn't want a real Shapeshifter on Generation X).

-Her only drawbacks are that she must know exactly what she's transforming in to (some would use a Skill Check Required for that, but I think since she knows the eventual chemical components of her forms after doing them dozens of times, so I would call it a Complication at-worst-- she isn't gonna FORGET Diamonds all of a sudden), and that she has to physically tear off the skin on top, requiring a bit of free hands. All in all, she can turn into a pretty good minor-league Powerhouse (but nothing on Colossus or Rogue's level) with her Diamond Form. The only problem I'm having is theorizing why she would take any OTHER kind of form- diamonds seem ludicrously more strong & durable than stone or metal, and "Wood Form" seems to bring more weaknesses with it than anything else. I mean, at least The Absorbing Man is stuck using the materials at-hand.

HUSK (Paige Guthrie)- Generation X Version
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Jackson Guice; Fabian Nicieza & Tony Daniel
First Appearance: The New Mutants #42 (Aug. 1986- generic Guthrie Sibling), X-Force #32 (March 1994- as Paige)
Role: Annoying Younger Sibling, Wannabe Superhero
Group Affiliations: Generation X, The X-Men
PL 8 (111)
STRENGTH
0/8 STAMINA 2/7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Farming) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+5)
Expertise (Computers) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+3)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Disarm, Interpose, Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Alternative Forms Via Shedding Outer Layer"
Variable 6 (Flaws: Limited to Humanoid Single-Substance Forms) [36]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs, Diehard) (Flaws: Requires Shedding Form) [4]

(Form Examples)
"Diamond Form" (Strength 8, Stamina 5, Protection +2, Increased Mass 1) (29)
"Rubber Form" (Insubstantial 1, Stamina 3, Protection +2) (13)
"Acid Form" (Insubstantial 1, Weaken Toughness Aura 5- Affects Objects) (30)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Strong Forms +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+9 Strong Forms), Fortitude +3 (+8 Strong Forms), Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Guthrie Family)- Paige is second-oldest, and is a rival of sorts to Cannonball, who she admires, but doesn't want to follow the mistakes of (such as going on the run with X-Force).
Relationship (Chamber or Archangel)- Paige fell for the deformed bad-boy Chamber while on Gen-X, but she also went for uber-rich team leader Warren Worthington III while on Chuck Austen's run.
Quirk (Temporary Nudist)- Paige's clothes are shed along with her skin whenever she "Husks" to a new form. This can prove embarassing, provided there's not enough Censor Steam around.
Power Loss (Husking)- Paige must be able to physically tear away her dermal layer to properly change forms. She also must know the chemical make-up of her form, meaning that she has to memorize most of them, and can't just randomly invent new ones.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 10 (111)

-PL 8 Husk is a little weaker and less-capable all-around, while still being fairly tough.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

M

Post by Jabroniville »

Every woman on "X-Factor" dresses like this. And they love Jamie Madrox, because Peter David is writing.

M (Monet or Nicole & Claudette St. Croix)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Chris Bachalo
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #316 (Sept. 1994)
Role: The Bitchy Rich Girl, Bitch With A Heart of Gold, Super-Power Lottery Winner, Flying Brick
Group Affiliations: Generation X, X-Corps, X-Factor Investigations
PL 10 (181)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+9)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+11)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+6)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 4 (+9)

Advantages: 
Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Many), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Superpower Lottery"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Protection 2 [2]
Regeneration 5 [5]
Immunity 2 (Disease, Poison) [2]
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Extended Hearing & Vision) [3]

"Low-Level Telepathy"
Mind Control 6 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (14) -- [15]
  • AE: "Telepathy" Communication 1 (Mental) (Feats: Reach 2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) Linked to Mind-Reading 6 (Feats: Reach 2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (9)

"St. Croix Family Merging Powers"
Morph 1 (Feats: Metamorph) (Flaws: Limited to While Merging, Limited to St. Croix Family Members) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Mind Control +9 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +10, Fortitude +8, Will +6 (+10 vs. Mental Attacks)

Complications:
Reputation (Giant Bitch)
Relationship (Family)- Her brother Emplate is evil, and her sisters merge together to become her, except when they don't. Don't ask.
Disabled (Autistic)- Though it makes her a super-genius (because autism is totally a superpower, yo), sometimes it makes her comatose and non-responsive, because one of the St. Croix twins was autistic.

Total: Abilities: 96 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 11 (181)

M- Team Bitch:
-M is the winner of one of the most dubious awards in all of comics: the most inane, bizarre, overly complex origin story in the history of the medium. Seriously, every time I read what it was, I pretty much forget it because it was so complicated. See, she was M, and a teammate was named Penance. Then it turned out that Penance was actually M, and M was actually her two sisters, who had merged to make M, because they didn't want their father to lose his favorite daughter. Or something. It was totally insane, and made the Generation X book look completely ridiculous (I mean, try explaining that origin story to anyone, comic fan or not). This was apparently Larry Hama's doing, as it wasn't Scott Lobdell's initial idea for the character. Marvel has calmly resorbed that book into its X-line, having given up on many members (Jubilee, Skin, Penance & Synch), while adding a few more to short runs on other X-teams (Husk, M, Chamber), which always bugged me, because the far superior in EVERY WAY New Mutants ended up with so few "Graduates".

-M also has a very "bleh" power-set (essentially combining a low-level Flying Brick with... minor Telepathy? Really?), but at least had a solid personality- she was the Alpha Bitch. As the book was somewhat High School-oriented, it made sense to make at least one character a super-rich, nasty, mean girl who was brutal to everybody. That she was a multiracial character was something that made her a bit different (her father was a biracial aristocrat from Monaco and his dark-skinned second wife). As her father was a wealthy ambassador to France, Monet grew up vain and spoiled, thus producing a lot of conflict with the rest of her team. Also, her brother was the crazed villain Emplate, and it turned out her sisters were actually a version of Monet, and Penance was actually the real Monet. M also later started dating Synch, making Jubilee (who constantly feuded with M) very jealous. M started acting more vulnerable to her teammates after Synch died, but this was near the end of the book, and the team split up after their mentors had issues.

Post-Generation X:
-M, like her teammates, fell into a varied state of X-Limbo, kind of messing around with Banshee's "X-Corps" military outfit in order to keep an eye on him after his beloved Moira died, before joining the X-Corporation when Mystique broke that squad up. M then joined the roster in X-Factor Investigations, Peter David's love letter to Marvel's D-League Mutants, and you don't have to ASK David to write snide, bitchy characters, so it's a match made in heaven right there. She plays into the whole "Bitchy to hide her true feelings from everyone" aspect, making pretty good friends with most of the same people she makes fun of (sorta like a sitcom character), in addition to being one of the more powerful members of the team (and most versatile).

-Like every woman in a David-written book, M had a fling with Jamie Madrox, but it ended when he couldn't remember whether or not a duplicate of him had slept with her or with Siryn during a night of mutual passion. She later befriends Siryn and helps her get through the horrible "death" of her newborn infant. She also has to deal with Strong Guy's love for her- she admires him, but of course doesn't share his feelings, and tries to let him down easily, only for him to be resurrected without a soul, and later she has a one-night-stand with the X-teen Darwin, who'd carried a torch for her for a while by that point. She kind of moved on to X-Limbo once more after that, but has ended up in an X-team under Magneto's control, as he vows to "protect mutantkind at all costs".

M's Stats:
-M has a pretty boring power set, being a balanced Flying Brick with some Immunities, and various other side powers. She's rather limited in combat to pounding away at stuff, but she has low-level, short-range Telepathy, a Mind Shield, etc. A very weird little build, and I figure her for PL 9.5 these days- she's quite powerful, but doesn't stand out as that much tougher than, say, Ultra Girl.

-M is also a good example of how "Attractive" works, particularly for a "non-flirt" kind of character. Her imperious, insulting, mouthy personality makes her the enemy of every woman she meets, yet it's a recurring trend that several guys in each series will want to date her, fall in love with her, and do anything to defend her- Synch, Strong Guy, Darwin, etc. Essentially, she's just better with men than with women. I would imagine her power would work equally well with women attracted to her- do you have any idea how many women I know online have confessed to massive crushes on Vidia from Disney Fairies? BatgirlIII was only ONE of them- lesbians LOVE her! That "bitchy, snarky-girl with black hair" thing seems like a universal fetish for that particular breed of female, I tell you hwut.

M (Monet or Nicole & Claudette St. Croix)- Generation X Version
Created By:
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #316 (Sept. 1994)
Role: The Bitchy Rich Girl, Bitch With A Heart of Gold, Super-Power Lottery Winner, Flying Brick
Group Affiliations: Generation X, X-Corps, X-Factor Investigations
PL 9 (173)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+9)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+11)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+6)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 4 (+9)

Advantages: 
Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Close Attack, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Many), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Superpower Lottery"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Protection 2 [2]
Regeneration 5 [5]
Immunity 2 (Disease, Poison) [2]
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Extended Hearing & Vision) [3]

"Low-Level Telepathy"
Mind Control 6 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (14) -- [15]
  • AE: "Telepathy" Communication 1 (Mental) (Feats: Reach 2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) Linked to Mind-Reading 6 (Feats: Reach 2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (9)

Morph 1 (Feats: Metamorph) (Flaws: Limited to While Merging, Limited to St. Croix Family Members) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Mind Control +9 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +10, Fortitude +8, Will +5 (+9 vs. Mental Attacks)

Complications:
Reputation (Giant Bitch)
Relationship (Family)- Her brother Emplate is evil, and her sisters merge together to become her, except when they don't. Don't ask.
Disabled (Autistic)- Though it makes her a super-genius (because autism is totally a superpower, yo), sometimes it makes her comatose and non-responsive, because one of the St. Croix twins was autistic.

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 8 (173)

-M is the toughest of Gen-X even back then, being a pretty-tough Flying Brick character.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I still remembering taping the Gen X movie back in 96. Still have it, transferring it to DVD years ago.

I actually liked the Arly/Buff character in it. She just had a great slant to her. I mean a teenage girl who was uncomfortable with her body, who wore baggy clothes, and was super female bodybuilder buff underneath. It's something that I thought would work pretty well in comics.

Granted by the end of the movie she's wearing a skintight costume and she looks totally normal
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, I remember my friends being all "WOW! That is AWESOME!" to the image of that chick putting on her shirt, and you could see this GIANT muscles on her back. Naturally they used a normal-sized actress for the part, so it was all movie trickery.
Jabroniville

Penance

Post by Jabroniville »

PENANCE (Monet St. Croix or Nicole & Claudette St. Croix, aka Hollow)
Created By:
First Appearance: Generation X #1 (Nov. 1994)
Role: The Outsider, Silent One
Group Affiliations: Generation X, The Loners, Avengers Academy
PL 8 (111)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Close Combat (Claws) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 7 (+4)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Improved Critical (Claws), Power Attack, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Merging Twins/Diamond-Hard Skin"
"Sharp Skin" Damage 2 (Extras: Aura +3, Permanent +0) [8]
"Diamond Skin" Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 9) [13]
"Claws" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Penetrating 6) [10]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Claws +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +9, Fortitude +7, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Mute)- Penance cannot speak to others at first- this ability came to her years later.
Disabled (Permanent Powers)- Penance will cut pretty much everything she comes into contact with, whether she wants to or not.
Enemy (Emplate)
Relationship (M)- It's too complicated to really get into.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 9 (111)

-So with the whole fustercluck that is Penance & M's origins dealt with, we basically were left with the two as separate characters again. Penance is a solitary, non-speaking character meant as the big "mystery" of the Generation X series, and she was Yet Another '90s Clawed Character. Apparently Lobdell imagined her as a Yugoslavian girl named Yvette, but Larry Hama decided to go with the "She's actually M and then some twins"- they were merge into Penance instead of being a fake "M", and would remain that way until a bomb separated them from the body, which would move around on its own- apparently no longer needing their psyches to maintain it.

-Years after Generation X ended, Penance (now called "Hollow" because Speedball took the original codename) showed up in The Losers, a book about D-League heroes, where she grew attached to Phil "Green Goblin" Urich, eventually leaving the team with him after he blows up on Mickey "Turbo" Musashi for going after Chris "Darkhawk" Powell. After this, she essentially vanishes, showing up in the background of Avengers Academy, but not being sent to Arcade's island or any of that stuff. Despite being based off of the sister of M, she never appears in X-Factor Investigations, and it seems like most writers just don't want to deal with her, and instead dump her somewhere.

-Penance is a "Generic Claw Character", but has Diamond-Hard Skin & Reaction-Based Damage thanks to unusually sharp portions of her body.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.