Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Emma Frost! Chamber! Banshee! Synch! The Neo!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

damndest thing about Callisto....under Claremont....was I think in that Excalibur book where she and Angel are fighting Viper and they all get buried under some rubble....with Angel holding it up(???!!!) Callisto and Viper start going on about how hot Angel makes them and sort of agree to share him
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:47 pm ^_^ What, no mention of Claremont deciding to to have Masque give Callisto tentacles, which she decided to keep up until she was depowered?

Claremont is... a bit strange. It's only when you read his book from afar that you realize how up-front he was with his kinks, and how he wanted to show them off. Leather Storm. Leather Bodysuit Rachel Summers. Tons of Mind Control & Evil Versions of female characters. Ladies with Tentacle Arms. Girls cutting their long hair short and transforming into tough chicks.

It's kind of eye-rolling at times, but also a bit endearing in a way. I mean, I'd never be able to share my kinks so openly like that. That's why I'm so incredibly subtle and discreet about my liking giantesses, bossy raven-haired humiliatrixes and nice "Good Girls".
Jabroniville

Berzerker

Post by Jabroniville »

BERZERKER (Ray Carter)
Created By:
Louise & Walter Simonson
First Appearance: X-Factor #11 (Dec. 1986)
Role: One-Shot Character
Group Affiliations: The Morlocks, The Tunnellers
PL 8 (78)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+6)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Sewer Dweller) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Electrical Control"
Blast 10 [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Electrical Blast +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Weakness (Water)- If Berzerker is doused in water while using his electrical powers, he will take the full force of the Blast, which is easily capable of killing him (ie. it actually did).

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 8 (78)

-Of all the characters to get brought into another medium... BERZERKER (totally getting that Clerks song stuck in my head now...)? This mohawked punker guy was the leader of The Tunnellers, a one-shot group of Morlocks who fled the Mutant Massacre by moving onto the city streets, where they ran afoul of a common street gang AND the city police, resulting in a battle with X-Factor (then disguised as The X-Terminators). As his team fell dead around him, Berzerker freaked and lashed out with full power against Cyclops, who knocked him into the water, where his electrical powers killed him.

-VERY short-lived guy, obviously, but that's not the funny part. The funny part is when the X-Men Evolution cartoon series came out, featuring the X-kids as young students with Storm & Wolverine teaching them, they added THIS GUY onto the "New Mutants" secondary team of mostly background characters. I didn't even recognize him at the time, and figured him for a newly made-up guy like Scrappy-Doo... I mean Spyke. But nope, they took a one-shot character and made him a New Mutant, and even used him to link the team to the Morlocks. For stats, he's a pretty buff guy with a high-powered Blast, but still has the accuracy of a jobber, making him a power-heavy PL 8 who's extremely vulnerable to most attacks, and with a very weaksauce weakness.
Jabroniville

Blowhard

Post by Jabroniville »

BLOWHARD (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Louise & Walter Simonson
PL 8 (48)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Sewer Dweller) 4 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Healing Wounds"
"Wind Storm" Affliction 8 (Strength; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Condition, Requires Pipe) (16) -- [17]
AE: "Smash Into Things" Air Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Requires Pipe) (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Wind Storm +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Air Blast +6 Area (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 5 (48)

-An older-looking guy dressed like Friar Tuck, with a silly cork pipe, Blowhard created large wind-storms as Area Effects, making him a reasonably good team player, but he was still vulnerable. He may be one of the few named characters in comic book history to be killed by COMMON GANG MEMBERS. Seriously, the Tunnellers met up with a street gang, they got into a fight, and Blowhard ended up gunned down and killed. To put this in perspective, BOOMSLANG once survived being shot by gang members. Talk about blowing your Toughness save...

-Blowhard's powers manifest as an Affliction that Trips in a huge 60-foot Burst, as well as an optional Area Blast that can hurt guys. This makes him a PL 9, but Wind-guys are often much higher in PL than they are in practice, as they're good a tripping guys or knocking things over, but are relatively easy to hurt. Note how much Blowhard here makes use of the disparity between Dodge & Parry, representing how easy he was to hit and kill. He WAS strong enough to knock The Beast on his ass, but that didn't really hurt him or anything, so he's just a pretty strong fat guy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Scaleface

Post by Jabroniville »

SCALEFACE (Name unknown)
Created By:
Louise & Walter Simonson
PL 5 (37)
STRENGTH
0/8 STAMINA 0/4 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+2/+10)
Expertise (Sewer Dweller) 4 (+4)
Insight 4 (+5)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Giant Lizard Form"
Alternate Form (Activation: Standard -2) [-2]
Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, +3 Speed) -- (18 feet) [12]
Enhanced Strength 2 [4]
Enhanced Skills 4: Intimidation 8 [4]
Reduced Stamina 2 [-4]
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Scent) [2]
"Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Lizard Unarmed +2 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +3/+0 (DC 13/10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0 (+4 Lizard Form), Fortitude +1/+5, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 9 (37)

-Scaleface has, on first appearances, a really awesome and useful mutant power- the ability to turn into a gigantic Super-Lizard! You could easily write a team book featuring such a powerhouse, right? It has a great visual, it's believably powerful, and it's extremely unique. So of course this was a throwaway character that did nothing except act as the voice of reason, then get shot to death by the cops. Yeah, a 20-foot lizard got shot to death by a handful of bullets from a police officer's gun when he panicked (he felt bad about it later, upon realizing he'd shot a young girl). Looks like SOMEBODY didn't gain the full Stamina from their size increase- something I put into her build, removing some points from the Growth power.

-Scaleface returned as a zombie twice- once in Necrosha (which brought back every dead Mutant) and once in an earlier She-Hulk storyline (as part of the "X-Humed").
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh man- re-reading the early "Claremont Returns" issues of X-Men... this is some painful stuff. I mean, the over-arching story isn't SO bad (the X-Men are in a space shuttle crash, while Cecilia Reyes is trying to save Nightcrawler from some Neo while Charlotte Jones- Archangel's ex- is chasing a drug dealer around), but the Neo are just... ugh.

And of all things, the whole "I am _____" thing I was talking about before? That's even worse than I remember it. Domina literally says the line "I am DOMINA" THREE TIMES in the space of TWO ISSUES. And Jaeger pulls off an "I am JAEGER", while Salvo says "I am SALVO, little spike! I am the living gun!". HOW IS THAT A CATCHPHRASE, CLAREMONT?!?

The Neo are all talk, too- they totally "Gamora" their fights, proving incapable of defeating Dr. Reyes- a defensive-powered amateur hero, while she gets used to the new offensive capabilities of her powers. Then Rogue friggin' catches bullets at super-speed, THROWING them back, because that's totally a thing she's been established doing before! As I'd never read Claremont's original version of Rogue before this, I hadn't realized she was his favorite target for "Super Featz/OP" stuff, so I was completely taken aback at her becoming a worldly leader with great tactical skills and supreme mastery of her powers. Psylocke also absolutely NOTHING like the character seen previous- here, she's snarky, mouthy and British. Fabian Nicieza truned her into an Inscrutable Oriental/Dragon Lady, prone to a complete lack of emotions except in freakish circumstances. Claremont's rep for "ignoring what anyone else has done and act like you never left" is front and center. Though I don't recall his Psylocke acting anything like that before. For example, she says "Get stuffed, TESSA, you great, sodding cow!" That's Betsy Freaking Braddock?!?
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hellions! Gen X! Jubilee! M! The White Queen!)

Post by Arkrite »

Hrmm... I can't remember the exact issues anymore but here's what I remember

-Nate gets tooled by a crazy hobo with claws that tear right through is TK shield
-Electro one shots Nate and leaves him pretty much useless for the entire comic barring one TK shield to protect some civies
-Nate gets knocked about by a group of minions packing armor and weapons designed to counter his abilities. Until he steals their poorly designed canons and starts a counter attack.

Seriously though, a gun where the barrel is situated below the hand? How do you aim that?
It looked super cool and high tech when I was a kid but now I just can't figure out how you would aim that "high tech" weapon ;~)

Something that will probably not make me very popular is that if I was given the choice between Jubilee and Kitty? I'd go with Jubilee.
Kitty might have been a huge deal, but she was a non-entity when I finally got into the X-Men.
And looking back at what they did with her it's obvious that Jubilee was supposed to be a new Kitty incarnation that... well, nobody seems to know what to do with. Which is a shame, I could see a lot of potential story lines beyond "I'm disappointed I'm treated like a kid" and "I was an X-Man once"

The one thing I would love to see? The character who is constantly talking about how they used to be an "X-Man" who's terribly annoying... until the fighting starts and suddenly their useless annoying bragging gives away to actual useful experience.

Sadly in most of those stories the characters always seem to be alarmingly competent regardless of their lack of experience.

In regards to Gen X I found the early comics seemed to have heart. There was a lot of potential there, even though they never really seemed to find it. But when Larry Hama took over... egh.
The guy did some good GI Joe but, man, what the hell was he thinking with Penance?
I mean, I'd say that turning Speedball into a guy named Penance was the only thing that was worse, but the Speedball thing was malcious intent. The Penance being Monet thing? Somehow he thought that was an interesting/good idea.

White Queen> Oh my god, a woman who dresses sexy because she wants to be desired. And isn't afraid to show it.
Welp, time to wait for the SJW to shut down my fun, because no women ever has wanted to dress sexy or be desired.

Also really love the fact that the White Queen A) wasn't just born that way and had work done and B) Isn't bothered/ashamed of it.

Not that I'm really promoting women getting work done, my preference is quite the opposite, but it's refreshing to have something difference every once in awhile!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Actually, Emma Frost manages to avoid the SJW Brigade thanks to her being INTENTIONALLY a skanky dresser. It's basically any OTHER character where it becomes a giant issue to them.

As for Jubilee/Kitty... I think you're not alone. But everyone else is afraid to speak, for fear that I SHALL DESTROY THEM... so kudos to your bravery :).

I dunno with Hama. I never found his Wolverine that great, either. I just don't think he "got" superheroes the way he got the "Soldier's POV" series that was G.I. Joe.
Jabroniville

Sunder

Post by Jabroniville »

SUNDER (Mark Hallett)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Paul Smith
First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men #169 (May 1983)
Role: Powerhouse
Group Affiliations: The Morlocks, Muir Island X-Men
PL 9 (68)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Sewer Dweller) 4 (+3)
Intimidation 9 (+8)
Perception 3 (+2)
Stealth 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Super-Strength" (25 tons)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- Sunder is a hulking brute, and clearly not a normal human.
Relationship (Callisto)- Sunder is completely subserviant to his boss, and will do whatever she asks.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (68)

-Sunder's basically just a generic powerhouse- a big guy who does Callisto's bidding as her resident Bruiser/yes-man. He seems to be the strongest of the Morlocks, and is in fact a founding member (alongside Callisto, Masque & Caliban). He was seen kidnapping Angel, and later Kitty Pryde, in their involuntary weddings down in the Tunnels, but rarely got into major fights. He lost a leg to the Marauders' assault, but got to keep his life, alongside all of the other recognizable, named Morlocks during The Mutant Massacre. What's funny is that his X-Men link is only on that "Muir Island" makeshift team that doesn't really count, but he still showed up on a first-generation Marvel Card as a member of the whole group, making me think he was some forgotten member when I was a kid. This bothered me for YEARS- particularly because the guy on the card is clearly STRONG GUY (back when he was just "Guido"), not Sunder!

-But no, he was on the team for five seconds, then got shot to death by Pretty-Boy of The Reavers. As far as stats go, he's quite an effective PL 9 Powerhouse guy, but he lacks the durability and Defensive capabilities of a good brick- a guy with a MACHINE GUN killed him. What kind of a Powerhouse can get brought down by common weaponry?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Looking forward to the next run, with just a couple comments. Claremont is definitely better with a collaborator and strong editor (and no matter how much crap people dump on him, it was Jim Shooter who wanted the characters quantified and that gave birth to the OHOTMU).

The Firestar/Bucky book was Young Allies, a riff off the "teen team" the original Bucky formed during Roy Thomas' run on The Invaders in the 1970's (also featured Gravity, Spider-Girl and Toro, a new creation for the book).

Finally...nothing could justify Avengers Arena. Dennis Hopeless should still be flogged for that trash.

Carry on!
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hellions! Gen X! Jubilee! M! The White Queen!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:20 am Something that will probably not make me very popular is that if I was given the choice between Jubilee and Kitty? I'd go with Jubilee.
Kitty might have been a huge deal, but she was a non-entity when I finally got into the X-Men.
And looking back at what they did with her it's obvious that Jubilee was supposed to be a new Kitty incarnation that... well, nobody seems to know what to do with. Which is a shame, I could see a lot of potential story lines beyond "I'm disappointed I'm treated like a kid" and "I was an X-Man once"
Not to mention that common thread of "Wolverine is my new Daddy! Daddy... why are you ignoring me now that a new little girl has shown up?"
Arkrite wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:20 am The one thing I would love to see? The character who is constantly talking about how they used to be an "X-Man" who's terribly annoying... until the fighting starts and suddenly their useless annoying bragging gives away to actual useful experience.
Agreed. Although I kind of feel like they'd risk turning into Riley from BtVS, trying to do hand signals and implement plans while all of the kids are not certain what they're talking about.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Wasn't Sunder killed when Thor bopped him on the noggin with his big old hammer in Mutant Massacre?
Spam

Post by Spam »

Goldar wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:44 pm Wasn't Sunder killed when Thor bopped him on the noggin with his big old hammer in Mutant Massacre?
You maybe thinking of Blockbuster
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ah, so I am, friend Spam! Thank you.

He sort of looked like Sunder, didn't he? Same power-set?
Spam

Post by Spam »

Goldar wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:51 pm Ah, so I am, friend Spam! Thank you.

He sort of looked like Sunder, didn't he? Same power-set?
Both big strong bald guys. What they need is flowing blonde hair and maybe be 50 tall and made of gold to make them stand out.