Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Frenchie

Post by Jabroniville »

JEAN-PAUL DuCHAMP (aka "Frenchie", Bloodline, Monsieur LeBlanc)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Don Perlin
First Appearance: Werewolf By Night #32 (Aug. 1975)
Role: The Hero's Pilot Sidekick
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (98)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Mercenary) 6 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 6 (+10)
Vehicles 6 (+11)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Guns & Stuff), Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Guns +8 (+4-6 Ranged Damage, DC 19-21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Marc Spector)- Jean-Paul & Moon Knight are old allies from their mercenary days, though occasionally some things drive a wedge between them.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (98)

-Jean-Paul DuChamp, nicknamed "Frenchie", is Moon Knight's personal pilot, showing up in most of Marc Spector's stories, despite taking a two-year gap between appearances right off the bat (showing up in 1975, then again in 1977). He's an ex mercenary who's allied with both Marc and Bushman (Marc's employer, then enemy), designing and piloting Moon Knight's "Mooncopter". At one time, he went undercover to infiltrate The Committee (one of Marvel's numerous criminal organisations) as Monsieur LeBlanc, thus taking a more direct role in Moon Knight's activities. At one point, he was crippled by Marc's brother, and then learned that he could transform into his ancestors because of some weird stuff with his lineage. All in all, he's just kind of "The Hero's Buddy", and an occasional confidante of a pretty crazy character, and prone to long disappearances whenever Moon Knight gets cancelled.

-Though a skilled mercenary and pilot, Jean-Paul is quite specifically in the "Human" category of things, and so doesn't match up well against most anyone who actually wears tights for a costume.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dark Beast! The Vidkids! Juston Seyfert! Jean Grey/Phoenix!)

Post by Goldar »

Thanks Catsi and FuzzyB.

I was missing some of the pieces. And, if you read some of the 90's stories, Jean either didn't have many feats and/or she seemed less powerful than she was in the late 80's.

Although in Revolution, she seemed very powerful, the few issues I saw.

And I think Morrison did the last run while Jean was still alive. She did some powerful things there, both with and without the PF.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

as far as Jean goes.....it's truly odd considering how hot I am for redheads....but Jean never did it for me. I liked the character all right I guess, but I dunno, not one of my favorites. I def. don't have the same lust for her that Jab does....obviously
Jabroniville

The Jury

Post by Jabroniville »

THE JURY
Created By:
David Michelinie & Mark Bagley
First Appearance: Venom: Lethal Protector #2 (March 1993)
Role: Armed Vigilantes

-The Jury debuted as a band of Punisher knock-offs in Venom's big Limited Series- meant to capitalize on the enormous popularity of the fairly-new Spider-Man villain. It was organized by a man whose son, a Guardsman, was suffocated by Venom's Symbiote during a breakout at The Vault. The group hunts Venom and thus encounters Spider-Man, defeating him and trying to guilt him into helping them steal something as penance for the "crime" of bringing the Symbiote to Earth. Their leader, Orwell, eventually abandoned the team to die after making a ton of money from their evil corporate "owners". Orwell is booted out, and his eldest son Maxwell takes over, recreating the team.

-Their "mission" by this point is to capture criminals and deliver extra-legal "trials", with Maxwell as defense attorney, and a non-Jury person as prosecutor. They also flew around in a ship called the "Justifier". In their only big "Supervillain Kill", they put their newest member Wysper up against The Tarantula (Luis Alvarez- the second one) in a gladatorial contest, telling Tarantula that if he kills Wysper, he can go free. When Wysper is told that Tarantula is the villain who killed her husband, a Guardsman, in a jailbreak, she finds it within herself to kill him, by snapping his neck.

-Later, the Jury tracked down Hybrid (a former Guardsman now bonded to a Symbiote comprised of the five that faced Venom in ANOTHER of his Limited Series). He is saved by the New Warriors, and is able to convince the Jury that he's in control of the creature. After this, the Jury lost their funding and hit hard times- they were forced to work as bodyguards & hired goons for a rival of Tony Stark's, and U.S. Agent was made their leader. This was in Thunderbolts, and they were sent against that team (just after their public reveal as ex-Masters of Evil), and later, Songbird EASILY defeated the entire team, thus making them look like choads. They haven't been seen in a long time.

JURY MEMBERS
Created By:
David Michelinie & Mark Bagley
First Appearance: Venom: Lethal Protector #2 (March 1993)
Role: Armed Vigilantes
Group Affiliations: The Jury, The Guardsmen
PL 7 (107)
STRENGTH
2/7 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Expertise (Guard) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Law) 4 (+5)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 2 (+3)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages: 
Equipment (Radio, Gear), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Modified Guardsman Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [36]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Power-Lifting 1 (6 tons) (1)
Protection 3 (3)
Immunity 5 (Radiation, Suffocation 2, Pressure, Vacuum) (5)
"Fire or Sonic Blasts" Blast 6 (Feats: Split) (13)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
-- (44 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Enhanced Strength +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Blasts +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications: 
Motivation (Punishing Criminals)- Most members of the Jury are former Guardsmen sick of seeing criminals constantly escape or be treated too nicely in courts of law.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 8 (107)

-Jury members are armored vigilantes, wearing modified Guardsmen uniforms (against Tony Stark's will) and carrying a lot of gear. Most of them never even received real names, but were close with Hugh, General Orswell Taylor's son, who died in a Vault breakout. They stat up more or less like generic Guardsmen, but with an upgrade in Mental Stats and combat, up to PL 7.

Jury Members:

BOMBLAST- PL 7 (109): Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+5) [2]
-A former Soldier who joined the Guardsmen. He played the "knife game" where you stabbed around your fingers to avoid getting cut, and generally seems a bit immature and "macho".

FIREARM- PL 7 (107):
-His Armor shoots fire from the arms. All that's known about him is that he's black.

RAMSHOT (Samuel Caulkin)- PL 7 (107):
-Hugh was a close friend of Samuel, the Guardsman who died in The Vault's breakout. His Blast was a Sonic one.

SCREECH (Maxwell Taylor)- PL 7 (113): INT 2, AWA 3 [6]
-The unfortunately-named Screech was the younger brother Hugh. His Blast, like Ramshot's, was Sonic in nature. He eventually stepped down from the field to become the commander of the unit once General Taylor was seen as unfit- he set the group up to engage in "kangaroo courts" and be their own judge, attorneys, and jury.

SENTRY (Curtis Elkins)- PL 7 (108): Armor Has Strength 8 [1]
-Sentry's armor was the strongest- he could even hold down Spider-Man briefly during a fight. He also has a powerful "Energy Gun" and a lockpicking tool in his right glove.

Power Armor with the boobs sculpted on will never not be funny.

WYSPER (Jennifer Stewart)- PL 7 (107): Armor has AE to Blast: Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) [0]
-Wysper's husband was murdered by the second Tarantula during a break-out at The Vault- this leads her to join The Jury. In order to get inducted in, she had to kill the Tarantula in melee, which she only did after being told of the villain's guilt. After this, she's basically their "Token Girl". Her suit can fire Sonic Blasts that can also cause imbalance in the enemy.

GENERAL GEORGE ORWELL TAYLOR:
-The unit's original commander, he formed it after the death of his eldest son. However, they left him when he was corrupted by his dealings with the Life Foundation, and his paranoia that they wanted to usurp his authority got out of control. He was eventually arrested.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Hybrid!? How many gorram "symbiotes who bonded with a good man and are now heroic" are there in the Marvel Universe!?

Toxin, Hybrid, Anti-Venom...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:38 am Hybrid!? How many gorram "symbiotes who bonded with a good man and are now heroic" are there in the Marvel Universe!?

Toxin, Hybrid, Anti-Venom...
Well if you count the time Hybrid was split back up into 4 separate symbiotes to be put on soldiers, the piece of Carnage that Sentry ripped off that bonded with a doctor, and the clone of Venom that was possessed by a demon the bonded with Flash Thompson's neighbor I think it's right around 10 or so ;).
Formerly luketheduke86
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

L-Space wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:04 am Well if you count the time Hybrid was split back up into 4 separate symbiotes to be put on soldiers, the piece of Carnage that Sentry ripped off that bonded with a doctor, and the clone of Venom that was possessed by a demon the bonded with Flash Thompson's neighbor I think it's right around 10 or so ;).
One was one too many.
Jabroniville

Joseph

Post by Jabroniville »

JOSEPH (Max Eisenhardt & Eric Magnus Lensherr)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Roger Cruz
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #327
Role: The Hot Platinum-Haired Guy, The Interrupting Love Interest (to Rogue & Gambit), The Redeemed Villain (but not really), The Clone, The Scrappy
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, The Acolytes
Fate: Sacrificed himself to save the world from Magneto's alteration of the Electro-Magnetic Field.
PL 11 (170)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Insight 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Knowledge (Technology) 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Magnetic Blasts) 4 (+10)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
Attractive, Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: The Lesser Master of Magnetism"
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Senses 4 (Detect Magnetics/Metals- Ranged, Acute & Analytical) [4]

Force Field 9 (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Impervious 19) (43) -- [65]
  • Dynamic AE: "Magnetic Energy Blast" Blast 12 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating) (38)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wide Area Blast" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Penetrating) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: "Line Area Blast" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: "Metal Storm" Blast 12 (Extras: Multiattack) (Quirk: Requires Metals -2) (35)
  • Dynamic AE: "Metal Trap" Snare 12 (Quirk: Requires Metals -2) (35)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mass Trap" Snare 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (45)
  • Dynamic AE: "Magnetic Lifting" Move Object 12 (Feats: Precise, Increased Mass 3- 1,500 tons) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Metallics -8) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Nullify Electronics & Machinery 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (43)
  • Dynamic AE: "Shape Metal" Transform Metals to Metals 9 (Feats: Increased Mass 5- 100 tons) (42)
  • Dynamic AE: "Metal Everywhere!" Environment 4 (Impede Movement 2) (9)
  • Dynamic AE: Concealment 10 (All Senses) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (11)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Magnetic Blast & Metal Storm +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Area Blasts +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Metal Trap +10 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Mass Trap +11 Area (+11 Affliction, DC 21)
Thrown Object +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+13 Force Field, +7 Impervious), Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications: 
Responsibility (Possibly Magneto)- Joseph is tortured with the knowledge that he may in fact be the Master of Magnetism, a mutant terrorist that has taken hundreds of lives.
Power Loss (Magnetism)- Joseph can lift a variety of non-ferrous objects by manipulating the tiniest of metallic substances, but some objects are beyond his capabilties.
Relationship (Rogue)
Rivalry (Gambit)- Over Rogue, above.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 81 / Defenses: 18 (170)

-I always found Joseph rather interesting as a concept, though nobody really seemed to like him in the fandom (Scott Lobdell was a pretty bad X-writer- most of his stories seem like crap looking back on them). Initially, it appeared that Magneto had recovered from his mind-wiping at Xavier's hand, and ended up an amnesiac, long-haired pretty boy, who then joined the X-Men to atone for his past sins. Now, Magneto had already JOINED the X-Men at one point, in a very nice bit of storytelling in the mid-80s, but that didn't really take. This was handled a bit clumsier (as were most of the plots during the "Joe Mad" era of X-Men), but I dug the appearance of a Magneto-powered guy (but less "Team Killing" in power) wearing a regular X-Men Blue & Gold uniform, hitting on Rogue and feuding with Gambit.

-Of course, his unpopularity led to a VERY quick and unsatisfying pay-off, as the REAL Magneto returned, mocked the pretender, and Joseph was killed saving his team (and the world). And that was pretty much the last anyone heard of Joseph. Yeah, the poor bastard was so disliked that he was pretty much written out of everything the second he'd passed on. HOWEVER, the character was revived a few years back, with his original creator bringing him back and implanting Magneto's old memories into him, causing him to believe that he was the original. He murders 40 anti-mutant campaigners while dressed as the villain, builds his own version of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (clones of the original group from the '60s), and fights- Magneto (this being his own Limited Series) kills the clones and imprisons Joseph in Utopia's X-Brig, where he hasn't been seen in half a decade.

-Joseph is powerful as hell, but limited by his inexperience and fears of his own power- he's my Magneto build, boosted a bit in his physical stats, but considerably lower in power. He's a PL 11 ass-kicking Blaster with many Dynamic Alternate Powers, so he's extremely useful. His only flaws are a relative lack of mental attributes, Skills & Advantages.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: The Jury

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:20 am Power Armor with the boobs sculpted on will never not be funny.
What about non-powered armour with the boobs sculpted on?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 amJean Grey is the Rachel Roth of the Marvel Universe
I read that and asked myself "who's Rachel Roth". Then I looked it up. And then a) I understood your reference to the Terror or Trigon and b) asked myself when the f*ck did Raven get a "real name" and c) funny she doesn't look Jewish.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Jade Dragon

Post by Jabroniville »

JADE DRAGON (Dei Guan)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Jim Lee
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #59 (June 1988)
Role: Background Character
Country of Origin: China
Group Affiliations: 3-Peace, The Mutant Liberation Front
PL 9 (140)
STRENGTH
1/10 STAMINA 2/10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Freedom Fighter) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+5, +7 Size)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Transforms into Dragon"
Alternate Form (Move Action) [-1]

Morph 1 (Dragon) [5]
Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed) -- (12 feet) [8]
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

"Fire Breath" Blast 9 (18) -- [19]
  • AE: "Fire Cone" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Dragon Form +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Fire Breath +8 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Fire Cone +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+10 Dragon), Fortitude +3 (+11 Dragon), Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The People's Republic of China)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 12 (140)

-Jade Dragon's been on the run from China for a while- he's the orphaned child of parents who were branded as "intellectuals" and executed during China's Cultural Revolution and sent to the iron mines. A mysterious "Geomancer" then arrived, telling Dei Guan of their ancestors, and giving him the power to transform into a Jade Dragon- though he had suffered, he considered himself a Chinese patriot, and registered with the army as one of their agents after the Gang of Four were brought down after Mao Zedong's death.

-Jade Dragon used his great powers to slaughter a band of monks who the government wanted dead- his conscience struck him after this, and he turned on the army officers who'd ordered him to do so. After this, he hooked up with Alpha Flight, helping them against the Dreamqueen, but still refused to defect from China. Nonetheless, the Chinese government sent China Force to capture or kill him- however, they all ended up the pawns of the Dreamqueen. Jade Dragon eventually returned to China (following the defeated China Force through one of Laura "Pathway" Dean's portals), determined to prove that he was not a traitor.

-After this arc, the character was ignored for several years, before all of a sudden popping up in an X-Force Annual where he'd joined 3-Peace alongside Nuwa and The Collective Man, fighting against China's superhuman conscription (ie. China Force). They fought Dani Moonstar and the members of the Mutant Liberation Front, who were only pretending to be on their side. They were able to escape when Dani (herself a mole on the M.L.F.) let them do so, at great risk to herself. His status as a minor-league Chinese superhuman from the time when few people cared about Alpha Flight (despite a young Jim Lee creating his design) holds him back, as most writers will just use The Collective Man instead.

-A seemingly-awesome power-set (he turns into A DRAGON), Jade Dragon is nonetheless kind of ruined by being a fairly weak fighter who only does background stuff. You'd figure a giant dragon would be more bad-ass, but no. Simple Flight/Strength/Fire Breath stuff, all at relatively low levels, though he's a solid PL 9 (135) balanced character, unlike many others on the "Random Background Foreigners" list.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Nuwa

Post by Jabroniville »

NUWA (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Mike Wieringo
First Appearance: X-Force Annual #3 (1992)
Role: Background Character
Country of Origin: China
Group Affiliations: 3-Peace, The Mutant Liberation Front
PL 9 (111)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Thief) 3 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 4 (+7)
Vehicles 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Turns Targets Against Themselves"
Affliction 9 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Asleep) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective, Cumulative, Concentration Duration) [45]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The People's Republic of China)
Power Loss- Her abilities are rendered much less effective if the target is jacked up on something like caffeine beforehand.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 11 (111)

-Nuwa's only appeared three times in all of comics, and her personality's changed accordingly. In X-Force, she was a freedom fighter with The Collective Man & Jade Dragon, but in a later Manifest Destiny appearance (more than ten years later), she was a generic thief, stealing from the mall using her powers. Obviously C.B. Cebulski didn't do the research, but you could hardly blame him for such a minor character who'd appeared exactly once before.

-Nuwa is a weak character, with only a single attack- the ability to render people unconscious instantly. It had a wide reach and considerable dexterity (Selective Auras are like that), but it's still her only attack. Effective against legions of Mooks or Jobbers (like the M.L.F.) though.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:20 am
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 amJean Grey is the Rachel Roth of the Marvel Universe
I read that and asked myself "who's Rachel Roth". Then I looked it up. And then a) I understood your reference to the Terror or Trigon and b) asked myself when the f*ck did Raven get a "real name" and c) funny she doesn't look Jewish.
Believe it or not, Raven has actually had a real name since the beginning. The fact that the vast majority of people don't know she even has one (let alone know what it is) kind of supports my argument that she's treated more as a plot device than as a character.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:19 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:20 am
Believe it or not, Raven has actually had a real name since the beginning. The fact that the vast majority of people don't know she even has one (let alone know what it is) kind of supports my argument that she's treated more as a plot device than as a character.
I'm going to have to go with "Not".

From the September 1986 issue of "Who's Who"

Whenever it was decided that "she had one from the beginning", either it was a retcon, or it was so secret that Marv Wolfman and George Perez chose not to reveal it.

Arella's surname may have been Roth and had just gone unrevealed. Fine. But when the '86 Who's Who says she was named "Raven" when she was born, I consider that to be true, at least any time during the character's first seven years of existence.

Blind_Pugh

Re: Lifter

Post by Blind_Pugh »

Hi Jab

Thanks for the invite over here. I hadn't looked into RA board for a good while due to some disillusionment with the idea of ever meeting people that wanted to play M&M the same way I did. I'm sure we've all been there. Then I heard something happened at RA and everyone I'd heard of had left. The board I heard on refused to have details posted so I honestly had no clue what happened but with you guys gone I wasn't interested in finding out.

However it came to be if Jab's Builds is here then here is where I bookmark.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:58 am Image

And the winner, hands down, for the prize of "Plainest Costume in the History of Comic Books"...

LIFTER (Ned Lanthrop, aka "Meteorite")
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Captain American Annual #4 (1977)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Mutant Force/The Resistants

-Lifter (Seriously? LIFTER? THIS is what Jack Kirby creates without Stan? Puts Stan's crappier ideas in perspective, doesn't it?) was a telekinetic with a quirk- he can only lift stuff and use Move Object-type things on stuff he's TOUCHING, which basically gives him the Affects Others Only Extra, Limited to Objects. He's a bit of a piece of crap (and looks generic as hell), but at least he's unique in that regard. He has received the least character development of his team (keep in mind this team includes Paralyzer, Burner & Peepers on it), but at least got to fight the New Warriors in modern times, so he's still around.

-He could throw stuff, or just punch people, but is still PL 7 like his buddies.
I grew up on inherited Silver and early Bronze age stuff (I'm sure I likely droned on about it in the last 2 threads) so I saw Mutant Force in the Defenders working with the Mandrill and like you I thought they were a bunch of complete losers with godawful names. Then buying a copy of a John Walker era Captain America book on my own that same year I saw the Resistants with their cool (to an 80's kid) Robocop visors and team costumes (I'm still a sucker for team costumes). When I found out the two were the same it blew my mind. Suddenly Lifter was cool. Brick and team transport together was something I'd never seen before, and to my dislike of overpowered characters his disproportionate lifting ability to his punching power appealled all the more. Now I wanted to see him as a hero with a modification of his Visor and blue and yellow (likely because it reminded me of old Checkmate costumes)

To this day he's my go to for if I ever get to play an X-Men year one game of the type someone outlined on the original ATT (It think it was Demongg). So yeah, from loser beginnings Meteorite became a Red Guardian character for me.