AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (OOC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: Recruiting (Ends June 27) - AEGIS Squad, Region 2

Post by kenseido »

Prof Weird wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:36 am Amphitrite
Enchanted Weapon : Blade of the Deep ( 15 pp, EtoL, -5 = 10 pp), Indestructible
(wavy bladed short sword made of darkest blue obsidian with lighter blue streaks through it, about two feet long. Heavily enchanted)
STR-based Damage 3, Reversible [4 pp]
Neural Lash : Cumulative Affliction 9 (Will; Vulnerable/Defenseless; Limited Degree); Reversible; Activation : Move, linked to Blade damage [ 9 + 2 pp]
  • AP : Weaken Toughness 5 (Fort resist; Affects Objects +1); Activation : Move, linked to Blade damage
    AP : Disorienting Vortex : Close Burst Area Move Object 4 (Limited Direction : away), linked to Burst Area Affliction 10 (Dazed,Vulnerable; Extra Condition, Limited Degree 2, Fades)
I am not keen on Fades being on one slot in an Array. It's not really that much of a limitation since the other powers are unaffected. Also, for Afflictions, be sure to include the save required.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Would you be willing to accept a character whose power-origin is Arcane/Magic. Am I to understand you correctly that the heroes are based in the region around the Gulf of Mexico? The US southeast?

If this is the case, then I have a rough concept for a hero with a magic-origin out of New Orleans. The character may be a little "edgy" (ok in honesty the character may be regarded as quite edgy), but they are neither a loner nor an anti-hero in sentiment.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

The team is assigned to the Gulf Coast region, they do not have to be from there.

Magical characters are allowed. Edgy is fine, but they have to pass background and psych tests. They would not be able to cheat their way through either. I have already declined one character because their background would never be accepted by the AEGIS review board.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Another submission based out of New Orleans, with it called out, sounds fun.
Prof Weird

Post by Prof Weird »

Changed Amphitrite's Disorienting Vortex to Tiring, and it is a Fort save.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I made some minor modifications to Golem's background, just establishing how long he'd been a criminal, that he has family, and how he wears his uniform (or relative lack thereof). I plan to try to put together a character image tonight. I'll be glad to adjust figures as necessary for the timeline, but I set his age with the idea that he was about 20 when he transformed,spent over a decade as a criminal, and is at most a few years into working for AEGIS.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:53 pmI made some minor modifications to Golem's background, just establishing how long he'd been a criminal, that he has family, and how he wears his uniform (or relative lack thereof). I plan to try to put together a character image tonight. I'll be glad to adjust figures as necessary for the timeline, but I set his age with the idea that he was about 20 when he transformed,spent over a decade as a criminal, and is at most a few years into working for AEGIS.
This whole program and team is brand new.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

kenseido wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:56 pm This whole program and team is brand new.
Ah. Cool, so 33 is a good age to pick. :) Is the game operating in 2021?
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So in the (somewhat unlikely) event that I actually manage to put together a full character:

Are we going to have all the usual team "Stuff" (vehicles, HQ, etc.)? And if we have an HQ, are we (at least mostly) expected to live there and be full-time superheroes? Or should we be building an 'outside" life as well? (I think we're supposed to be full time, or at least on-call full time, but I wanted to make sure I account for that)
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

There will be an HQ and V-TOL. You are a member of AEGIS and paid by them; they expect you to live on-site or be able to get there quickly. They assigned you to this region, so you don't have to be from here.

That being said, being from the area would be considered "helpful" by the people choosing who to assign where. It just wouldn't be the only consideration.

Also, identities may not be "advertised," but they are essentially public.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

kenseido wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:15 pm Also, identities may not be "advertised," but they are essentially public.
As in that people will know who we are as superheroes ("AEGIS Squad Gul City... I hear their roster is pretty strong. Did you hear that Blue Bolt is going to be working for them?") or that our non-super-identities are public ("Why yes, Officer Kim, I mean SuperBrick, I did see a suspicious fellow in a yellow cloak run by here yelling something about stealing pies.")?
Supernaturalist

Madame Macabre

Name: Elizabeth Marston
Occupation: Psychic (Palm Reader/Tarot Card Reader), Police Informant/Psychic with Homicide Dept.
Height: 5’ 7”
Weight: 125 lbs.
Handedness: Right
Power Level 10

Abilities: (24pts.)
STR: 0 STA: 0 AGL: 0 DEX: 0 FGT: 0 INT: 1 AWE: 6 PRE: 5

Skills: (18pts.)
Expertise: [Magic/Occult 6(11), Police Procedures 2(3)], Insight 2(8), Investigation 4(5), Perception 4(10), Persuasion 2(7), Ranged Combat: Magic-Array 10

Advantages: (4pts.)
Artificer, Connected: New Orleans Police Dept., Contact Police Commissioner for New Orleans Metropolitan Police, Ritualist

Powers: (101pts.)
Magic-Array
“Necrosis” - Ranged Necrotic Damage 10 (Extra: Alternate Resistance - Fortitude; Flaws: Quirk: Only Affects Organic Life, Distracting) (19pp)
AE - "Life Siphon" - Ranged Affliction 10 (Fatigued, Exhausted, Extra: Ranged; Flaws: Limited Degree) Linked to Healing 8 (Extra: Persistent; Flaws: Only Affects Self) (1pt)
AE - "Arcane Travel" - Teleport 8 (1 mile) [Extraa: Increased Mass 3 (300 lbs), Change Velocity, Turnabout] (1 pt)
AE- "Poison Nova" - Cloud Area Poison Damage 10 (Quirk: Only Affects Organic Beings) (1pt)

The Hexfire Amulet (Easily removable; -2pp) (3pp)
Adds following AEs to Magic Array
-AE: Firebolt (Ranged Damage, Fire Descriptor)
-AE: Fireball (Ranged Burst Area Damage, Fire Descriptor)
-AE: Suppress Fire (Nullify Fire, Burst Area)
-AE: Heat Wave (Burst Area Cumulative Ranged Affliction; Resisted by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Incapacitated)
-AE: Fire Aura (Reaction Damage, Fire Descriptor)

“Entropy Field Generation” - Impervious Toughness 8, Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 8, Sustained (44 pp)
“Divination” – Postcognition (Quirk: Applies only to a Corpse) (2 pp)
“Sense the Departed” – Visual [Penetrates Concealment, Extended 2, Quirk: Only Perceives Corpses] (6pp)
“Spare the Dying” – Healing 1 Extra: Stabilize, Flaw: May Only Stabilize Dying (1pp)
“Summon the Dead” - Summon 1 (Extras: Controlled +1/r, Horde +1/r, Multiple Minions 10 +2/r, Mental Link +1 Flat; Flaws: Medium: Perceivable Human Corpse -1/r) (24pp)

Note: Here is the template for a typical “Walking Corpse” built on 15 pp (Rank 1 Summon)
STR 2, STA -, AGL 0, DEX 0, FGT 2, INT -, AWE 0, PRE –
Powers: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects), Protection 3
Offense: Init. 0, Unarmed Combat +2 (Damage 2)
Defense: Dodge 2, Parry 3, Fortitude -, Will -, Toughness 3

Offense:
Ranged Combat: Magic-Array +10
Initiative 0

Defense: (6pts.)
Dodge 0, 12 with Entropy Field
Parry 0, 12 with Entropy Field
Fortitude 0, 8 with Entropy Field
Will 6+6= 12
Toughness 0, 8 with Entropy Field

Additional AEGIS Package: (at no cost)
Skills: Athletics 2, Expertise: AEGIS Officer 2, Ranged Combat: Guns 2, Technology 2
Advantages: Benefit 2 (AEGIS), Equipment 3
AEGIS Gear: Armored Uniform (Protection 2), Blaster Pistol (Ranged Damage 5), commlink, handcuffs

Abilities (24) + Skills(18)+Advantages (4)+Powers(104)+Defense(6) = 156 pts.

History:
Born into a middle-income family of Restaurant-owners in New Orleans, Elizabeth’s albinism hinted at certain health problems to follow later in life. Sensitivity to sunlight both regarding her skin and eyes, meant that she spent most of her time indoors or moving outdoors after dark. Her condition also became an infrequent but persistent source of teasing throughout her life. Despite this uncomfortable fact, Elizabeth has always been level-headed and resilient. Not only did she not let her appearance damage her self-esteem, but instead she embraced it and adjusted her clothing/fashion to accentuate her “goth” appearance.

Elizabeth was a good (but not great) student through high school. From her childhood, she found stories and writings about magic and the occult far more interesting. This coincided with the strange aptitude that she began to develop in the Arcane arts through dreams (some pleasant some nightmares) as a child. As she grew older and improved her reading skills, she began to acquire books on magic and the occult wherever she could. Although she was nowhere near developing the full extent of her powers as a teenager, she realized that her talents lay in the mystical art of necromancy.

Aware that such talents were taboo even in a city used to practitioners of voodoo, wicca, and other forms of new age witchcraft, Elizabeth revealed the full scope of her abilities to no one. Instead, she toyed with fortune telling through various methods. At first, she did not charge fees, but as her reputation for accuracy grew, she decided to charge fees and open her own shop near Bourbon Street. Appealing to all the partiers and tourists, she found herself able top make a comfortable living. “Madame Night, Fortune Teller” became a favorite late-night visitors stop for drunks and assorted out-of-towners in The Big Easy.

As a young woman in her 20s, her life took a dramatic turn when she came across the body of a murdered tourist. Her post-cognitive power provided her with information that helped catch the killer. At first, she was a suspect due to the amount of knowledge she provided, knowledge that supposedly only the murderer could know. But in time she managed to convince detectives that she was innocent and instead could “see” images about the deceased that provided clues. Since that time, the New Orleans Police Dept. has provided her with a small stipend that keeps her “on call” to help with especially difficult homicide cases.

When the alien invasion reached Earth’s surface, Elizabeth was in a bind. She desired to keep her controversial powers secret, but the urgency of the situation would not allow it. From animating bodies of the recently slain to fight the aliens, to firing bolts of flesh-rotting necrotic energy, to halting the certain death of the gravely wounded for them to get medical treatment, her powers were on full display. The local press renamed her Madame Macabre due to disturbing nature of her powers. The name stuck and spread through the city as people watched with concern as video footage of her aid became public. For a while, she resisted the name change, finding that it labeled her in a way that she disliked. But in time, she embraced it like she did her albinism. The Police Commissioner of New Orleans praised her help and wrote her a letter of recommendation to AEGIS. She now stands poised to take the next step in her life as a superhero.

Motivations:
Doing Good – Elizabeth may have unconventional talents, but she is good-natured at heart. She is constantly evaluating her own actions to make sure they are consistent with making the lives of others better.

Acceptance – By using her skills for the public good, Elizabeth is trying to gain acceptance. She realizes that her talents are distasteful to some and frightening to many. Using her abilities for heroism instead of selfish reasons is means to boost her popularity

Complications:
Sunlight – Elizabeth must wear prescription sunglasses and full clothing (even in the mid-summer heat of New Orleans). Her albinism has the unfortunate consequence of making her eyes very sensitive to light (subject to a circumstance penalty without them in daylight). Her skin possesses little (if any) melanin. She sunburns very easily if her skin is exposed to direct sunlight.

Prejudice – The source of Elizabeth’s powers are currently unknown. Moreover, the necromantic nature of her abilities are a huge turnoff to many. She has gotten a pass from those who know her well, but outside of New Orleans many people view her as just creepy.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:04 pm
kenseido wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:15 pm Also, identities may not be "advertised," but they are essentially public.
As in that people will know who we are as superheroes ("AEGIS Squad Gul City... I hear their roster is pretty strong. Did you hear that Blue Bolt is going to be working for them?") or that our non-super-identities are public ("Why yes, Officer Kim, I mean SuperBrick, I did see a suspicious fellow in a yellow cloak run by here yelling something about stealing pies.")?
I mean, as employees of AEGIS, they are records out there with your real identity. They aren't necessarily going to hand them out in press releases, but someone could potentially find them.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:38 pmMadame Macabre
“Necrosis” - Ranged Necrotic Damage 10 (Flaw: Only Affects Organic Life) (10pp)
I am not sure how you see this power working. It would seem that any inorganic body armor or shield would block it completely.
Supernaturalist

kenseido wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:17 pm
Supernaturalist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:38 pmMadame Macabre
“Necrosis” - Ranged Necrotic Damage 10 (Flaw: Only Affects Organic Life) (10pp)
I am not sure how you see this power working. It would seem that any inorganic body armor or shield would block it completely.
I guess I envisioned it as a sort of miasma (or radiation-like) substance that can potentially pass through (or bounce off) inorganic materials without actually harming them. I realize that it is a strange type of damage. It is arcane in nature and only damages living tissue (though it can interact with and be deflected by non-living matter). If you like, I can alter it in any way you find reasonable.