Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hulk 2099! The Abomination! Tyrannus! The Red Hulk!)

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm All branches started replacing or supplanting the BDU sometime around 2010... Except the Coast Guard, who only started doing that in 2013. Because we always get stuff a decade after the Navy is done with it. :?

But, yeah, a nice baggy olive drab set of coveralls and minimal rank insignia in black is always going to look 100% better. Any inconsistencies can be handwaved away as "This is a special super-secret unit." but when you've got something that mixes up so much stuff like Ross does in this pic... it's just jarring.

Stargate SG-1 was definitely as "depict the military in a good light" show... Heck, Two Air Force Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Michael Ryan and Gen. John Jumper, made guest starring spots... But the show's writers and actors also got really into the minutia. They were sticklers for terminology, Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson constantly squashed attempts to "ship" Carter and O'Neill, and so forth... And every character's "ribbon rack" makes absolutely perfect sense for their characters!

This isn't the level of detail I'd expect in a comic book about a green rage monster. But in a show about the military? Stargate SG-1 is the Downton Abbey of militaria...
Stargate SG-1 is one of my favorite series of all time, though I purposefully stopped following the series in Season 8, specifically episode 18 "Threads", which ends with Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c fishing at O'Neill's home. It seemed like the perfect place to end the series, given the show would change after that. I never even watched the Moebius Two-Parter.

I also own all of the RPG books that got put out, and have always wanted to run some kind of Stargate RPG, though I usually wind up wanting to cross-genre it with stuff like Hellboy/The BPRD and similar stuff. And I naturally want to include them in my own home-brew setting, including my Multiverse: The Animated Series setting.

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I've been using the Goa'uld as bad guys for superhero settings since M&M1e. Egoistical megalomaniacs with advanced technology easily mistaken for magic, armies of fanatical mooks, and a consistent set of themed names? Their like an entire species of Doctor Doom's and Ra's al Ghûl's!

I've also incorporated Stargate Command into my combined setting. They're the go-to "friendly" super secret military organization, a la S.H.I.E.L.D.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, Stargate Command was really one of the most reasonable super secret military organizations I've ever seen in fiction. You put SG1 next to the Roswell organization Jab statted up recently and it's like Mary Marvel being compared to Illyana Rasputin. I actually took some "What sci-fi crew would you be a part of" online quiz a while back, and SG-1 was the team I ended up with.

Though I feel bad about Jab posting up the Pantheon builds and going on a Stargate rant instead. It's just that, while the Pantheon was a big part of David's run, the characters themselves weren't very interesting to me. If anything, they seemed like a waste of a name like "The Pantheon", though I definitely understand the need to flesh out Bruce Banner's supporting cast and give him something to do. I just think that, as a group they weren't very compelling and there's a reason why no one used them after David left the book. I mean, on the one hand you get some untapped potential with certain characters, but the Pantheon seemed like a group that were basically an isolated group within the larger MU, had little impact other than their time with the Hulk, and I don't really miss them.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

The Bi-Beast

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BI-BEAST
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Herb Trimpe
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #169 (Nov. 1973)
Role: Bizarre Foe, Powerhouse
Group Affiliations: None
PL 11 (134)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Culture) 6 (+14)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 10 (+10, +13 Size)
Perception 2 (+5)
Technology 6 (+14)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages: 
Equipment 10, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Upper Head" Enhanced Skills 8: Expertise (Warfare) 6 (+14), Perception 2 (+7) [4]
"Natural Size" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]

"Super-Strength Feat" (Alt-Effect of Strength-Damage) [1]
"Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to GroundedObjects) (12) 

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +14 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Preserving the Avians' culture)- The Bi-Beast was created to serve the deceased Avians, who wanted their way of life preserved.
Enemy (The Hulk)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 11 (134)

-God, what a bizarre character and name. I first discovered him in that Marvel Encyclopedia (the one with all the editing mistakes, like Marlo Jones being in there twice), and pretty much laughed at the name immediately, given what the term "Bi" almost always means these days. When the Jack Kirby Biography book I have (Tales to Astonish) talked about how the Marvel writers of the '70s and '80s were smoking "good pot" and doing all kinds of bizarre stuff, this is unquestionably the kind of result of that. He's a giant android created by an extinct race of bird-people (themselves descended from the Inhumans), with the bottom head maintaining all their knowledge of Culture, and the top head containing all knowledge of Warfare, and he wants to preserve their memory. He chases after bird-looking people (like the Harpy- Betty Banner with Gamma Powers), rebuids Avian cities, and tries to wipe out civilization in general, before an invasion by A.I.M. causes him to self-destruct the entire city. He's... just one of those bizarre villains.

-Really, his most notable thing is his appearance- a 20-foot-tall orange monster with another head ON TOP OF HIS HEAD. What else could you possibly want to know about him? Since it was revealed that there was a second Bi-Beast, he's become a background villain for decades now (trotted out mainly to go "oh yeah- he's still a thing!"), fighting Thor and a couple of others before languishing in obscurity (he was one of MANY creatures found on the Stranger's laboratory world in a Gruenwald-written Quasar story (which I swear was made entirely so that Gru could show all of these obscure characters again). A later story has the lower head fall in love with the She-Hulk, as he's pretty much a "Joke Villain" these days, trotted out for his bizarre appearance and silly name, providing a temporary threat to a strong hero.

-The Bi-Beast is a Class 100-plus-level brawler, akin to The Thing & The Hulk (when calm), but also packs tremendous size. He's also a super-genius (able to rebuild giant cities, mind-control devices and more) after another appearance gave him scientific knowledge as well, and this lends him a Master Villain-like ability to bring whatever he wants to the table, in addition to his physical prowess. His second head gives him extra Perception (presumably it's easier to see things coming with four eyes) and Expertise in Warfare. He's actually PL 10.5 (but note his weak Defense- he's easy as hell to hit) because after all, this guy has to brawl it out with THE HULK (who's PL 11-12 at baseline potential), and he's probably give Ben Grimm a hell of a challenge as well.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:09 am Yeah, Stargate Command was really one of the most reasonable super secret military organizations I've ever seen in fiction. You put SG1 next to the Roswell organization Jab statted up recently and it's like Mary Marvel being compared to Illyana Rasputin. I actually took some "What sci-fi crew would you be a part of" online quiz a while back, and SG-1 was the team I ended up with.
Though I feel bad about Jab posting up the Pantheon builds and going on a Stargate rant instead.
It's funny- that show's been on for like 9,000 years, and yet I cannot think of another show that inspires such sheer apathy in me. Most either inspire loving or loathing, in various degrees. Stargate? Absolutely NOTHING, aside from as astonishment that it not only was around for so long, but even got a SPIN-OFF. Though Teal'c's design always makes me laugh. He looks like someone was trying to dress up like RuPaul, and gave up halfway through.
It's just that, while the Pantheon was a big part of David's run, the characters themselves weren't very interesting to me. If anything, they seemed like a waste of a name like "The Pantheon", though I definitely understand the need to flesh out Bruce Banner's supporting cast and give him something to do. I just think that, as a group they weren't very compelling and there's a reason why no one used them after David left the book. I mean, on the one hand you get some untapped potential with certain characters, but the Pantheon seemed like a group that were basically an isolated group within the larger MU, had little impact other than their time with the Hulk, and I don't really miss them.
Yeah, if I was the Hulk writer, instead of putting him with an armada of Jobbers like this, I'd stick him in the Warbound/Agents of S.M.A.S.H.-type groups of other powerhouses, just to have a cast around him that aren't just there to make him look better.
Jabroniville

Bereet

Post by Jabroniville »

BEREET
Created By:
Doug Moench & Walt Simonson
First Appearance: The Rampaging Hulk #1 (Jan. 1977)
Role: Weird Alien Chick
Group Affiliations: None
PL 5 (121)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Space Traveller) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Techno-Artist/Filmmaker) 9 (+12)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 2, Minion 5 (Sturky), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Krylorian Technology" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [51]
Variable 12 (84 points)

(Sample Gadgets:)
"Banshee Mask" Equipment 10 (Huge Flying Spaceship) (10)
"Defendroids & Life Support Spider" Summon 6 (Extras: Horde, 8 Minions +6, Variable- Robots) (60)
"Energy Eaters" Weaken Energy Powers 12 (Extras: Ranged) (24)
"Insula-Sphere" Force Field 8 (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Immobile -2) (4)
"Web Spider" Snare 6 (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Web Spider +4 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+11 Insula-Sphere), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Making Techno-Art)- Bereet goes around the galaxy, recording interesting things to show as art & film to her people of Krylor.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 9 (121)

-Bereet is one of those names that has been on my "To-Build List" for AGES- at least two or three years, ever since Spectrum and I compiled that "List O' Names", and probably before that. And now I can FINALLY get around to it. Turns out Bereet is an alien lady, and was a "techno-artist" who made films that were fictional adventures featuring her and the Hulk. These adventures were apparently the in-continuity version of The Rampaging Hulk, a black & white book that Marvel later decided was out of continuity. So rather than throw the idea away, Bill Mantlo decided to place the stories of Doug Moench's book as part of Marvel's in-universe fiction. Most of her appearances are in the early 1980s, and she doesn't show up anywhere after that- the whole "Space Reporter/Documentarian" thing is VERY dated to that era, and so would seem quite bizarre today. Her entire planet was destroyed by Ego the Living Planet during Maximum Security. Bereet hasn't been seen in eons, but actually appeared in the Guardians of the Galaxy film as "that chick Quill banged in The Milano and forgot about, then dumped on Xandar", lacking any of her comic book characteristics.

-Bereet is no fighter, but is a good filmmaker with a bizarre bag of tricks that reek of "this writer was doing acid"- she can pull things out of her tiny "Spacial Distorter" purse that defy physics and essentially do anything- her "Defendroids" are giant robots that held off the U-Foes for a period of time, her "Insula-Sphere" protected her and others from falling debris, a "Web-Spider" shot webs, "Energy Eater" shears drained a power grid, and a "Life Support Spider" once held Rick Jones in stasis from radiation poisoning while carrying him around. I went with Variable for this bag o' tricks, as it seems her entire gimmick was literally to pull anything she needed out of that bag.

-Her pet Sturky is a red, ball-shaped thing that can convert matter from one form to another, eat large objects, and give a calming feeling through physical contact. Most of its capabilities and origins are unknown.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Abomination! Tyrannus! The Red Hulk! The Pantheon! Bi-Beast!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm really enjoying the Hulk builds so far. Also, are you going to revisit Killer Instinct at some point? From what I can see, your builds of it were done way back on the ATT, and the current game now includes every character from the first two games (even Eyedol and Gargos!), and added quite a few interesting newbies of the kind that haven't really shown up in fighting games that much, like a mummy sorcerer, a golem, a Japanese ghost girl who is totally not Sadako/Samara from The Ring, ect. And when they re-added Eyedol, they gave him an interesting mechanic where only one of his heads can be active at a time, and they both have a distinctive fighting style (One is the "warrior head", the other is the "mage head") Unfortunately, what head is active is random, and you can only sort of control it by having Eyedol beat himself in the head until it switches, but that costs a little bit of health. There's also the obligatory guest characters that most fighting games seems to have nowadays, those being Rash from Battletoads, The Arbiter from Halo, and General RAAM from Gears of War. I have to say, seeing FPS characters in a fighting game is..really odd.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Abomination! Tyrannus! The Red Hulk! The Pantheon! Bi-Beast!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

I did like She-Hulk's response to finding out Bi-Beast's name

"I've got a few friends who are bi....but you're not one of them."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:13 pm I'm really enjoying the Hulk builds so far. Also, are you going to revisit Killer Instinct at some point? From what I can see, your builds of it were done way back on the ATT, and the current game now includes every character from the first two games (even Eyedol and Gargos!), and added quite a few interesting newbies of the kind that haven't really shown up in fighting games that much, like a mummy sorcerer, a golem, a Japanese ghost girl who is totally not Sadako/Samara from The Ring, ect. And when they re-added Eyedol, they gave him an interesting mechanic where only one of his heads can be active at a time, and they both have a distinctive fighting style (One is the "warrior head", the other is the "mage head") Unfortunately, what head is active is random, and you can only sort of control it by having Eyedol beat himself in the head until it switches, but that costs a little bit of health. There's also the obligatory guest characters that most fighting games seems to have nowadays, those being Rash from Battletoads, The Arbiter from Halo, and General RAAM from Gears of War. I have to say, seeing FPS characters in a fighting game is..really odd.
I heard that they'd added characters. Unfortunately, I don't care very much for Killer Instinct, so I never really felt like revisiting the builds that I considered pretty complete at the time. I usually like to wait quite a few years between sets, and they still feel rather "recent" to me, even though they probably weren't.
Jabroniville

Doc Samson

Post by Jabroniville »

Sorry, Doc- you'll always be merely the SECOND-coolest character whose name rhymes with "-Ock Samson".

DOC SAMSON (Dr. Leonard Samson, formerly Leonard Skivorski, Jr.)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Herb Trimpe
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #141 (July 1971)
Role: Official Psychiatrist to the Super-Heroes
PL 11 (150), PL 12 (150) Saves
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Psychiatrist) 10 (+15)
Insight 10 (+14)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 5 (+9)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) 2 (+7)
Technology 1 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]
Immunity 5 (Heat, Cold, Radiation, Disease, Poison) [5]
Leaping 5 (250 mph) [5]
"Supreme Knowledge of the Mind" Enhanced Will 3 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Attacks/Mind-Reading) [1.5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +13 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +13, Will +8 (+11 vs. Mental Effects)

Complications:
Motivation (Psychiatric Care)- Samson is a devoted shrink, and is authentically interested in the psychological well-being of Bruce Banner and Robbie "Speedball" Baldwin, among others. He engages in regular therapy groups with the members of X-Factor and those who were replaced by Skrulls during "The Secret Invasion".
Responsibility (Gamma-Powered)- Samson usually ends up mixed-in with other Gamma-powered characters, and may be "overloaded" with the radiation and turned stronger and crazy.
Power Loss (All Powers- Cut Hair)- In his early days, Doc Samson would be rendered powerless if his long green hair were cut. This fell away relatively quickly, perhaps being too goofy for a world in which Apes were super-villains and having Maggots for a stomach is a super-power.
Involuntary Transformation (Multiple Personalities)- Like other Gamma-powered characters, Samson eventually became afflicted with multiple personalities. By giving up his intellect, Samson grew much stronger (into a PL 12-13 creature).

Total: Abilities: 100 / Skills: 43--20.5 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 11.5 / Defenses: 9 (150)

-As a kid, I thought Doc Samson was flat-out dumb- a Psychiatrist Hero who has long green hair because of Gamma Radiation that fights or cures The Hulk at random? Goofy stuff. Later writers have used him as one of those weird "Comic Book Things", in a world where people use a blind martial artist or a Gamma-powered green lady as a Lawyer, a Sorcerer Supreme as an M.D. referrer, and a Gamma-powered green-haired guy as a sit-down Psychiatrist. They actually do a bit of good work with him, and Warren Ellis made him kind of funny and personable (if a bit obnoxiously competent in a Mary Sue sort of way) in his Thunderbolts run, but part of me still likes watching this guy get the living crap beaten out of him.

-Samson has the goofiest origin ever- a reluctant psychiatrist (he resented his psychiatrist father's philandering), he nonetheless used his skills to temporarily cure Bruce Banner of his green affliction... at which point he took some of the siphoned-off gamma radiation into himself, becoming "Doc Samson". Initially, his strength was proportionate to the length of his hair- a true psychological hang-up. Banner's "cure" is over quickly, as he gets pissed off at Samson hitting on Betty Ross, and thus re-exposes himself to the radiation and fights Samson as The Hulk once more. Feeling guilty over Banner's troubles, Samson thus devotes himself to permanently caring for him.

-Though Samson was de-powered at the end of his origin story, he soon gained powers back, joining the Hulk's Ensemble Cast as his "Hercules/Worf"- the guy who loses to the bad guy so that the bad guy can look strong. He often gets captured by villains, or fights lesser threats like The Rhino. Peter David gets the best use out of him, resulting in Banner coalescing into one, singular Hulk. At some point, he also becomes the go-to guy for "Superhero Psychiatry" in the Marvel Universe- this one man acting as therapist and guide to every costume with an issue. One particularly memorable issue of David's X-Factor featured his assessments of the various members of the team, giving some great characterization and insight.

-Modern times sees Samson in generally that same kind of role- advising and assisting others. He sides with the Illuminati in exiling Hulk off-planet, setting off World War Hulk and a split with his old friend, but also helps Speedball through his troubles as "Penance". However, the Hulk book twists him into a bad guy, as he himself gains multiple personalities, growing larger and more insane as "Samson"- this stupider persona "kills" the other two, taking over. He is eventually killed in a Hulked Out event where various Marvel characters had received Gamma-upgrades- he dies absorbing as much gamma radiation as possible into himself, being reduced to a smoking skeleton in seconds. In recent years, he's turned up alive without explanation.

-Doc Samson is gamma-powered, meaning he's a toughie around She-Hulk or The Thing's level. Most of the Upper-Tier Powerhouses in Marvel are PL 10-11 in my opinion- putting them a bit above the Street Levellers of the world, but they're a level below a Standard Hulk, and WELL below a Thunder God or a Raging Hulk. Samson is a bit below them- he doesn't have the experience or the big wins to be up there with Ben Grimm or Jennifer Walters, in my opinion, though he once fought the Hulk for HOURS, so he's still PL 10.5. He wins out a bit in being MUCH smarter and more capable than most of those guys, however- only Jen is anywhere close to his level, and she's no scientist.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Sandra Verdugo

Post by Jabroniville »

SANDRA VERDUGO
Created By:
Bruce Jones & John Romita, Jr.
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #36 (March 2002)
Role: Hero's Ex-Girlfriend
PL 8 (121)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Special Forces Agent) 7 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Pistol +5), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Unkillable"
Immortality 7 [14]
Regeneration 6 (Flaws: Source- Weaken on Ranks 3-6) [4]
"Absorb Life Force" Weaken Stamina 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Absorb Life Force +8 (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
Pistol +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Son)- Sandra is willing to kill in order to save her son, Rikki.
Relationship (Doc Samson)- The two had a brief fling, resulting in Rikki's birth.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 8 (121)

-Sandra Verdugo is a Special Forces agent working for Home Base who had a fling with Doc Samson, getting pregnant with his child. Her son is then kidnapped and she is then given super-powers to act as the agent of the kidnappers (via... a clone her consciousness is placed into), and sent to follow Bruce Banner around. She gets killed and comes back to life repeatedly, and eventually allies with Banner, realizing that the people controlling her would just betray her. Apparently she finally got her son back, but they haven't been seen since the Hulk destroyed the facility while they were inside it.

-Sandra is a standard Special Agent/Investigator-type person, but also packs a Weaken Stamina effect, and almost complete Immortality, coming back to life over and over again. She even has Regeneration, though four of the six ranks require the Weaken as a Source.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Psyklop

Post by Jabroniville »

PSYKLOP
Created By:
Harlan Ellison, Roy Thomas & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Avengers #88 (1971)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Dark Gods
PL 9 (146)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+12)
Insight 2 (+3)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Technology 7 (+15)

Advantages: 
Equipment 10 (Any High-Tech Gear), Inventor, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
“Insectoid Physiology”
Power-Lifting 2 (25 tons) [2]
“Hypnosis” Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (30) -- [31]
  • AE: Eye Blast 10 (20)
Equipment:
“Sci-Fi Hardware”
“Ray Gun” Blast 10 (20)
“Spasm-Ray” Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
Teleport 10 (20)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Ray Gun +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Spasm-Ray +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Eye Beams +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Hypnosis +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Psyklop wishes for great power, and institutes himself as the God of the sub-atomic world of Kai.
Responsibility (The Dark Gods)- Psyklop’s Dark Gods are his true masters, and even when they forsake him, he goes out of his way to seek their approval.
Prejudice (Obvious Alien)- Psyklop is insectoid and single-eyed.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 7 (146)

-Psyklop is the last survivor of an intelligent insectoid race that apparently once DOMINATED EARTH during Prehistoric times. However, they ran afoul of the Dark Gods they worshipped, and were put into hibernation. Psyklop was awakened in order to find a new power source for his masters, at which point the Dark Gods would allow him to lead his race in re-conquering Earth. Psyklop shrinks the Hulk and sends him to a sub-atomic world, but ends up running afoul of the guy again, and is trapped there when his Gods forsake him. Years later, the trapped Psyklop, now leading the people of sub-atomic Kai as a God, is attacked by The Hulk & Jarella- he is consumed alive by the spirits of Kaians that had died during his reign of terror. He has never appeared again.

-And yeah, Harlan Ellison of all people had a hand in creating him.

-Psyklop is a pretty good PL 9 fighter/Blaster, and a great Inventor, but most missions against him are against his schemes and minions- one particular trick is to Shrink the hero and send him to a strange sub-atomic world. He also uses Giant Robots, Slug Monsters, Earthquake-Creating Machines, and more.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Doc Samson

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:16 pm Image

Sorry, Doc- you'll always be merely the SECOND-coolest character whose name rhymes with "-Ock Samson".

DOC SAMSON (Dr. Leonard Samson, formerly Leonard Skivorski, Jr.)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Herb Trimpe
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #141 (July 1971)
Role: Official Psychiatrist to the Super-Heroes
I always kind of had a soft spot for Doc Samson. The idea of a superhero psychologist frankly made a lot of sense, and you could have a whole series just about him helping heroes and even villains deal with certain issues. It'd be even more fun in a shared universe. Like, imagine if Batman showed up for advice over something?

But a superhero shrink frankly makes a lot of sense, given the things these guys have to deal with. If anything, Samson should be used more regularly, and turning him evil was only slightly less stupid than the fact that his biggest use was being in the Thunderbolts with the whole "Penance" thing (as one of the 5 Speedball fans out there, let me just say: Fuck Penance, Civil War and Mark Millar). Samson should have been called in to help deprogram Winter Soldier, be someone Spider-Man and the Thing can talk to, even maybe be called in to help some of the X-Men.

Turning him into a straight up villain was just dumb, and I'm glad they ignored it.

There was actually an old Avengers issue where the Vision offered Samson membership, and part of me often wonders how it might have changed things if he accepted.

Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Abomination! The Red Hulk! The Pantheon! Bi-Beast! Doc Samson!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Doc Samson was one of the inspirations for my Doctor Marvel. Obviously, Captain Marvel is a bigger inspiration, but there's more than a little Leonard Samson in there too.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
jcjec

Re: Doc Samson

Post by jcjec »

Ares wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:01 am But a superhero shrink frankly makes a lot of sense, given the things these guys have to deal with. If anything, Samson should be used more regularly, and turning him evil was only slightly less stupid than the fact that his biggest use was being in the Thunderbolts with the whole "Penance" thing (as one of the 5 Speedball fans out there, let me just say: Fuck Penance, Civil War and Mark Millar). Samson should have been called in to help deprogram Winter Soldier, be someone Spider-Man and the Thing can talk to, even maybe be called in to help some of the X-Men.
I was a fan of New Warriors from the beginning, so I echo your sentiment. Civil War and the fallout from it stopped my collection of Marvel for years and I, for one, am glad that Captain america 3 had extremely little in common with its comic counterpart, and the things that were similar made far more sense.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?