The Eight (Arrowverse series), Behind The Scenes

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Miracle

The Eight (Arrowverse series), Behind The Scenes

Post by Miracle »

So, what would you think about playing in a game where you are the heroes of your own series? While I would like the characters to be original, i would accept characters from other shows. This would be it's own separate Earth, but it would stick closely to the main continuity, with all the errors being 'on this Earth.

I'd like to keep it as an in between the shows. Arrows is 'dark'. Flash is 'light'. We'd be somewhere in the middle. Arrow is about beating up mobsters and street criminals and every once in a while fighting an overpowered meta, but triumphing. Flash is super fights almost every episode with the overpowering problems being multiversal. The in between is that our series would be ok with super villains, we won't get rid of them in one sitting. It will take brains and brawn.

This will take place in Coast City. As of now, Hal is in space, learning how to be a Green Lantern. Kyle is most likely in high school or early college. John is in the Marines. Guy? I don't know much about Guy.

It will be set during last season of Flash (s2)/Arrow (s4). Nothing of the next seasons have happened. Barry has dealt with Zoom. Green Arrow has dealt with Damien Darhk. I don't keep up with Legends, but we shouldn't have to worry as we're not dealing with time travel. This series will maintain in the present.

Concepts should fit within the world. DC comics at least, if not lining up with the lore presented across the shows.

You are power level 7, 105 points. If you want to be power level 8, you get 90 points. If you want to be power level 6 you get 120 points. Tradeoffs should not be higher than 2 points.

Episode 1: Come Together

Safe Guard
Paradigm
Jericho
The Atom
Legs
Manhunter
Mr. Stupendous
Jade
Fudo Myō
Last edited by Miracle on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ZenGypsy

Re: Arrowverse, Mutants and Masterminds

Post by ZenGypsy »

While I do not follow Arrow much, I just finished watching an episode of the Flash with my wife and son. So I am down for playing a low powerish hero game set in the Arrowverse. Question, would it be 3E, or 2E, you would be looking at using for this?
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

I think the d20HeroSRD is Third Edition. It's what I use.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've seen some of Arrow, but The Flash has been my favorite so far. Been unable to get ahold of season two, but I think I've caught on well enough to play it by ear if need be. So yeah, I'd definitely be down for a game like this.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I think I'd like to play an Atlantean Warrior ...

Safe Guard - PL 7

Strength 7/3, Stamina 9/3, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Advantages
All-out Attack, Attractive 2, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Close Attack 3, Extraordinary Effort, Power Attack, Second Chance: Ballistic Damage, Startle, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Athletics 3 (+10), Expertise: Fashion Design & Trends 5 (+5), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 10 (+10), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion 10 (+10)

Powers
Atlantean Physiology
. . Immunity: Immunity 5 (Critical Hits, Custom: Environmental Conditions: Cold & Pressure 2, Suffocation: (Drowning), Advantages: Second Chance: Ballistic Damage; Limited: Critical Hits: Physical Damage & Effects [2 ranks only])
. . Movement: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Aquatic)
. . Regeneration: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
. . Senses: Senses 2 (Darkvision)
Atlantean Strength & Stamina: Enhanced Trait 20 (Traits: Strength +4 (+7), Stamina +6 (+9))
Preternatural Power: Leaping 7 (Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour)
. . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Strength 4 (Alternate; +4 STR, Advantages: Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold; Limited to Lifting)
. . Swimming: Swimming 7 (Alternate; Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
Warrior Instinct: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 24; Inaccurate: -2)

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 17)
Throw, +0 (DC 22)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 22)
Warrior Instinct: Strength-based Damage 2, +5 (DC 24)

Languages
English (Native)

Defense
Dodge 5, Parry 5, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 44 + Advantages 11 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 105
Complications:
Enemy: A threat from beneath the waves ... The Lemurians attacked and killed Athena's father when she was an infant. They haven't yet found her, but they haven't given up either. The question is why, did her father tell her something before he died? Perhaps the location of the Atlantean relic the Lemurians were willing to kill for? If that is true, she will need to struggle through memories that she's repressed for a life time, and confront the truth of her heritage to defeat those that wish to see her dead.

Identity: Athena Ortiz-Cruz ... Athena maintains a distinct civilian and heroic identity, and she has only shared her identity with one person, her closest friend, Silvia Huang-Cabrera. The two of them crafted Safe Guard's costume to be both functional, and fashionable while still concealing her identity. Athena does feel some guilt that she has not shared the secret with her mother, but she is scared that if her mother found out the truth about her it would drive a wedge between the two of them.

Motivation: Responsibility: More than just good looks ... After the confrontation with Jacob, Athena realized that her abnormal abilities could be used to help people who can't help themselves. As much as she enjoys the fashion industry, and modelling in general, it has always felt rather self indulgent. She feels that her abilities give her an opportunity to effect real change, and to make a difference in people's lives.

Phobia: Thalassophobia, fear of the Ocean ... Athena has many repressed memories regarding the Lemurian's attack, and subsequent devouring of her father. While she has no memory of the event, she carries a very real, and very powerful fear of open water, and all things associated with it Anytime she finds herself on the open water, or, even worse, beneath it, she must make a DC 20 Will Check or be considered Distracted for the duration of the scene. She may spend a Hero Point to over this fear for the scene.

Relationships: Family, friends and photographer ... Athena loves her mother, Adriana, and despite her hectic schedule with the fashion industry will often take an afternoon to walk her through Ocean Pacific Park. Adriana suffered a spinal injury during the Lemurian's attack twenty years ago, and while she has recovered, she is confined to a wheelchair, though she is still fiercely independent.

Silvia Huang-Cabrera, a beautiful Chinese-Hispanic model, overcome her cocaine addiction with help from her closest friend, Athena. During the confrontation with Jacob, Silvia witnessed first hand her friend's astounding strength and resiliency. Together they came up with the identity of Safe Guard, and created an outfit that allowed her to maintain a heroic identity.

Athena's favorite photographer, Dale Boyd, is a consummate professional, and she appreciates that. She is very supportive of his relationship, and proud that he was able to tell his parents about his relationship with his boyfriend. Athena, Silvia, Dale, and his partner Carlos are frequently seen at some of the more trendy night spots in Coast City.

Secret: A hidden past ... Athena is unaware of her own heritage, and as such has no idea of her origin, or the nature of her abilities. This means that she is unaware of why the Lemurian monsters are pursuing her, and her own repressed memories prevent her from remembering what her father told her before he was disemboweled. Her crippling fear of open water would probably prevent her from accepting the truth were she even to discover it.
Background:
Atlantis has long been at war with the Lemurians, this conflict has been largely hidden from the surface world, as Atlanteans and Lemurians both called the world beneath the waves their home. Venturia was a city state of the Atlantean Kingdom located beneath the Pacific Ocean, and isolated from the Atlantean Legions, the Lemurians waged war upon it, tirelessly. Even as the city-state of Venturia fell beneath the Lemurian onslaught, a lone Atlantean legionaire, Aetherian, fled to the surface tasked to preserve a relic that allowed the Venturian Praetor to communicate with the Atlantean King.

Atherian fought a tactical retreat, evading the Lemurian legions, and killing a number of their soldiers in his flight to the surface, though he lost the relic to his attackers. His wounds were critical, and his unconscious form was discovered by a young oceanographer, working for a research branch of Queen Industries.

Adriana nursed Atherian back to health, marveling over his inhuman physiology and recuperative abilities. When pushed he revealed his true nature to the infatuated young woman, in time he fell in love with Adriana. The two were soon married, her love of the ocean attracting her to the man born beneath the waves.

In time the two gave birth to a daughter whom they named Athena. While Athena was still a newborn, her mother brought her to the aquarium, where she was meeting her husband. The Lemurians had tracked the Venturian soldier to Coast City and attacked savagely, without mercy. The young child watched as the horrific beasts burst from the sea and devoured her father. Her mother scooped the young child into her arms and fled deep into the Queen Industries facility.

The beasts tracked her, and eventually cornered the mother and child. As the began to attack, Adriana fired a flare gun at a transformer, and the resulting electrical surge arced towards the Lemurians, killing them. Though not before one of the bestial creatures managed to attack Adriana. She would survive, but she would never walk again.

The first thing Adriana asked for when she woke up in Coast City Medical Center was her daughter. As she held her child, she swore to never reveal her heritage to her, so prevent the Lemurian's from tracking her down and killing her as well.

Athena's subconscious, repressed memories, of her father's death contributed to her growing unease, and fear of open water, and what the depths concealed. As she grew older she came to understand that she was different, stronger, faster, resilient. She felt as though she was a freak, and worked, in secret, to master her abilities. To hold a glass without crushing it, to walk across the street without her legs throwing her across two lanes of traffic. Unbeknownst to her, her Atlantean physiology heightened her metabolism, she soon blossomed into a stunning young woman.

She leveraged her looks, along with her love of the fashion industry into a modelling career. A number of weeks ago, she discovered one of her closest friends, Silvia Huang-Cabrera was abusing cocaine. Athena was unaware that Cabrera's dealer, Jacob Rio, was already under investigation by the CCPD.

Officers from the 3rd tailed the dealer as he stalked towards the penthouse that Silvia shared with Athena. When he got there, Athena confronted him, he pulled a .38 from his coat and fired three shots. The slugs glanced off of Athena's dense skin, she then reached out and shattered his forearm.

The officers, alerted by the gunfire, move into the studio. Athena was able to convince the senior officer that the assailant had missed, and that she was able to defend herself, and the man's arm got crushed beneath a sculpture she knocked over in panic. Athena is not convinced that his partner, Officer Rostovtseva was as convinced.

Realizing that she could make a difference, she shared her secret with her Silvia, and together the two models designed a costume. Athena took to the streets as Safe Guard.
Background, complications & personality are forth coming. I am at work tomorrow, but should have the sheet completed tomorrow evening.
Last edited by ZenGypsy on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Yeah, I'd like to see your ideas on how it'd fit in. The numbers look ok.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Actually, your Parry/Dodge and Toughness tradeoff is 3, limit is 2.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hopefully this'll work for you. I had a moment near what I thought was the end of my char creation, when I suddenly went "OH CRAP" because I was stating her out at PL 10, 150 PP. Was tough knocking things down, as probability powers are a bit on the pricey side. Went against using any trade offs, sticking to the base you provided.
Paradigm
PL 7 - 105 PP

Quote: "I didn't see that coming!"
Concept: Newbie cop with the ability to see patterns.
Base of Operations: Coast City
Heritage: Half Russian-Japanese American
Identity: Secret
Marital Status: Single
Height: 5'0
Weight: 106 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black

Abilities 0 + 8 + 4 + 6 + 8+ 14 + 12 + 0 = 50 pp
Strength 0 Agility 4 Stamina 3 Dexterity 2
Fighting 4 Awareness 6Intelligence 6 Presence 0

Skills 26 ranks = 13 pp
Acrobatics 1 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+6), Expertise: Police Procedures & Tactics 4 (+10), Insight 4 (+10), Investigation 4 (+10), Perception 4 (+10), Ranged Combat: Firearms 7 (+9)

Advantages 9 pp
Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 2, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-all-trades, Luck 2, Languages 1

Powers 21 + 7 = 28 PP

Pattern Sense Primary: [(1+2-1)*7]+4+2+2= 20 PP | Alternate Effect: 1 PP {19/22}
. .Manipulate the Variables: Damage 7 (DC 22; Increased Range 2: perception, Indirect 4: any point, any direction, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Environmental Effects; Distracting), Subtle 2 (Undetectable)
. . . . Pattern Recognition: Senses 14 (Alternate; Acute: Pre-, Post- cognition; Analytical: Pre-, Post- cognition; Analytical: (Normal Vision); Distance Sense; Postcognition; Precognition; Rapid: (Normal Vision) 2; Ranged: Pre-, Post- cognition)
Pattern Analysis Primary: 1*5=5 PP | Alternate Effect: 1 PP {5/5} | Alternate Effect: 1 PP {5/5}
. . Account for every Variable: Senses 5 (Accurate: (Danger Sense), Danger Sense: (Mental), Radius: (Danger Sense), Ranged: (Danger Sense))
. . . . Deductive Reasoning ...: Enhanced Trait 5 (Alternate; Traits: Insight +5 (+15), Investigation +5 (+15))
. . . . Precognitive Reflexes: Enhanced Trait 10 (Alternate; Traits: Dodge +5 (+9), Parry +5 (+9); Limited: Must be aware of Attacker)

Equipment
Heavy Pistol (8 EP), Undercover Shirt (2 EP)

Combat
Initiative +8
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 10)
Heavy Pistol, +9 (DC 19)
Manipulate the Variables: Damage 7 (DC 22)
Throw, +2 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 15)

Saving Throws 0 + 0 + 3 + 0 + 2 = pp
Dodge +4 (+4 dex, +0 Def) | +9 w/Precognitive Reflexes
Parry +4 (+1 Fig, +0 Def) | +9 w/Precognitive Reflexes
Fortitude +5 (+3 Sta, +2 Def)
Toughness +5 (+ 3 Sta, +2 Undercover Shirt [Limited to Ballistic])
Will +7 (+6 Awa, +1 Def)

Languages
English (Native), Russian

Complications
Motivation: Doing Good
--Yana had always admired police officers, even as a little girl. They seemed like superheros, invincible forces of good. She has since aspired to do the same thing, helping the innocent, stop the bad guys, and inspire other little girls the same way she was.
Relationship: Grandfather
--Yana never had the chance to know her parents, as they disappeared shortly after she was born. She was left in the care of her grandfather, Mikhail Rostovtseva. It was while going with on a trip to see the event at Star Labs as part of her celebratory graduation trip that particle accelerator exploded and transformed her into a metahuman. He knows of her abilities, having watched over her for several weeks as she babbled on and on about possibilities and patterns- many of which turned out to be true. She still lives with him in Coast City, and regularly confides in him about her heroic activities.
Responsibility: Officer of the Law
--When she finally graduated from the academy, she was accepted into Precinct 3 of the Coast City Police force. As one of their newest and youngest officers on the force, she knows she'll have to work hard to prove herself. Which makes the fact that she likes to moonlight as a hero more then a little difficult, as she often struggles with time constraints and excuses in hope that she doesn't get herself fired.
Quirk: Endless Possibilities
--When she first obtained her abilities, she was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of outcomes that every little action could produce, which left her largely catatonic. As she recovered from the initial surge, she's grown used to almost unnoticeable patterns in her everyday life. Despite this, she'll often start to loose herself in the patterns, lapsing into long periods of inactivity until something snaps her back to reality.

Abilities 50 + Skills 13 (26) + Advantages 9 + Powers 30 + Defenses 3 = Total 105/105

Backstory time: Yana lost her parents at a young age, and was left in the care of her grandfather, a weathered man who moved to America from Russia during the Cold War. From what he's told her, her father fell in love with her mother on a business trip to Japan, and came back home married- To the shock of her grandparents! He often describes Yana as looking just like her mother did, a resemblance she can see herself in the few photos she has of her parents.
When she was growing up under his care in Coast City, she developed a great respect towards policemen and woman from watching old cop dramas alongside him. Seeing people like that go out into the world to risk their lives for the safety of others was something she was inspired to follow. He had never once discouraged her, proud to know that his granddaughter had such noble aspirations.
Years down the line, she had finally graduated from the academy with mostly high marks, and she and her grandfather decided to take a trip and celebrate her success. They packed up for a month long road-trip, where their trip came to a sudden end in Central City during STAR labs' grand unveiling. Her grandfather was once a physicist himself when he was younger, though his years as a scientist had long passed, and the new marvel of technology was intriguing to him.
Yuna stayed behind at their hotel, content to watch from their room, while he left to see it firsthand. It was while he was stuck in traffic that things took a turn for the worst, as the events of the accelerator unfolded. Rushing back to their room to make sure his granddaughter was safe, he was shocked to see her near-catatonic state.
The strange radiation created that night had amplified her natural skills of deduction a hundred fold, to near-prophetic levels of potency. Her mind struggled to catch up to the surplus of information as endless possibilities for future and century old mysteries passed before her eyes. It would be several weeks before her supernatural powers of deduction lowered in intensity, allowing her time to rest and recover just in time for her first day on the force back in Coast City.
It was there, that almost half year into her career as an officer, that she finally caught on to the strangeness that had surfaced in Central City, and it was hardly a challenge to link the strangeness with the accelerator's failure. This strangeness came with mentions about a hero, someone who used their extraordinary powers of speed to help save the city from criminals and strangeness alike.
She wanted to be like him, to use her abilities to serve the greater good of her hometown. So it was with this that she informed her grandfather of her plans, and soon unveiled herself as a prophetic protector of Coast City. It only take a few well placed words before the city was whispering her chosen moniker- Paradigm.

Description: A short, lithe, round-faced woman with deep blue eyes and long black hair. As an officer of the law, she wears a uniform marking her as a member of the Coast City police, Precinct 3.
As a new hero, she's yet to discover her permanent costume. For now, she usually wears a loose-fitting hooded-blue cloak overtop her police standard vest, with a red cloth tied around the lower half of her face. A simple black domino mask helps to further protect her identity.

Personality: An optimistic young woman, Yana isn't actually as sociable and outgoing as she would've liked. She had always been a tad awkward in the past, and now combined with frequent lapses in thought, her coworkers have concluded her to something of an oddity. They knew she was brilliant, of course, destined to become one of their top investigators one day down the line, but they couldn't shake the feeling she often knew more then she was letting on.

Powers: All of Yana's abilities really derive from a single, base ability. The near complete recognition and understanding of patterns, forming a complete set of future outcomes from a glance. This manifests itself in odd ways, from being able to accurately predict how an action might effect the future, discovering how a series of events really played out in the past, or even analyzing the flight pattern of a bullet and reacting accordingly.

Tactics: Yana usually prefers to be more reactionary rather then offensive in a fight, gain a better grasp of how a conflict would play out from watching the way opponents move before she decided to move in herself. She lacks the strength needed for truly effective hand to hand combat, and so usually relies on her standard issue firearm when she feels it's necessary. She always aims for non-vital locations, not wanting to actually kill anyone- or anything at all, really.
Her comprehension of patterns has given her a unique skill in manipulating the variables to produce an effect one might not expect. What may have seemed like a casual nudge of a skateboard results in a car-crash nearby, potentially severely injuring her target. She's left distracted while doing this, as it takes an amount of mental coordination to properly determine the desired effect.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:02 am, edited 7 times in total.
------------
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

I'm in.
I'm thinking of playing "legs", A dancer who was injured in a robbery and lost the use of her legs, and later got ahold of a pair of leg braces that not only restored her ability to walk and move, but enhanced her legs to super-heroic levels. She'd be a martial artist type with speed/leaping and super-kicking powers.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

This has potential... must ponder...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Jemal wrote:I'm in.
I'm thinking of playing "legs", A dancer who was injured in a robbery and lost the use of her legs, and later got ahold of a pair of leg braces that not only restored her ability to walk and move, but enhanced her legs to super-heroic levels. She'd be a martial artist type with speed/leaping and super-kicking powers.
That would be a cool riff on what happened to Smoak, but without the "miracle" 42 minute cure.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Thank you all for your interest, I guess we're officially recruiting now. I'll be looking at the submissions soon.
Miracle

Re: Arrowverse, recruiting

Post by Miracle »

Paradigm: Writing looks good. Numbers look good. About Precognition and Postcognition, are you not going to add anything to them? As is, they're not ranged and not accurate or acute. While helpful isn't going to get you much.

Legs: I agree about the Smoak reference. Go ahead.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Miracle wrote:Paradigm: Writing looks good. Numbers look good. About Precognition and Postcognition, are you not going to add anything to them? As is, they're not ranged and not accurate or acute. While helpful isn't going to get you much.
Just plain not able to afford it right now. It's still in it's infancy, of course, so I suppose there's room for it to develop later.
------------
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Would you allow an "Arrowverse" version of an existing DC character, but has not appeared on any of the shows?