Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Armadillo! The Aquarian! Axum! Arcade!)

Post by Ares »

One bit I actually loved from the X-Men issue with Arcade was Spider-Man was just casually swinging through New York, when he spotted Cyclops and Coleen Wing walking together. He swang down to say "hi", they chatted for a bit, and then Peter continued on. At which point, Arcade's specially designed garbage truck pulls up on Scott and Coleen, and with a "Grrrr-SFLANG!", this big mechanism shoots out of the top and captures the pair.

A block or two away, Spider-Man goes, "SFLANG? Where have I heard that- ARCADE!" And goes back to investigate. He finds Coleen's scarf, realizes what happened, and starts making phone calls to try and warn the X-Men. When he finally gets an answer at the X-Mansion . . . it's Arcade answering the phone, revealing that Spider-Man's warning had come just too late, that the X-Men where his prisoners, and that after he was done killing them, he'd come for Spidey.

Screaming in this combination of rage, frustration and fear for his friends, Spider-Man just tears the phone booth he was inside (it was the 70s) to shreds, freaking out the people around it.

It was just a nice inclusion that helped solidify the Marvel Universe as a shared universe, the friendly banter was a nice change of pace of the heroes being assholes to each other, it helped establish the threat of Arcade by how worried Spider-Man was, and I just loved that the sound Arcade's trucks make is so distinctive that Spidey could recognize it. Just a bunch of little additions to the story that really made it stand out.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Having read that story myself, I quite enjoyed it, though there were some odd bits like Arcade managing to brainwash Colossus.

Another interesting use of Arcade was in the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance video game. Basically, at one point you attempt to teleport into Doom's castle, but end up in a odd version of the castle with unfitting music playing..and then it turns out you were in Murderworld all along. Of course, since it's a video game, they end up making you play various video game minigames, like Breakout and Pitfall, and during the level you fight stuff like clowns and robots. When you get to the end of the level, you meet Arcade...piloting a giant mech, leading to an interesting boss fight.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, Colossus suddenly putting on Soviet accoutrements was a pretty silly twist. They've pretty much never referred to it again.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

To be fair, a big part of the arc before and after that story was that Colossus was going through a difficult time, mentally speaking. He missed his homeland, his family, and he felt that he was constantly screwing up his role as an X-Man. His confidence was shot, to the point where it was actually starting to affect his physical strength (during a weight test he felt he was at his limit when he was actually nowhere near his peak strength limits), and Arcade even commented on how severe Colossus' mental state was for the brainwashing to not only work, but be so effective.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, Colossus was in a bad state at the time. He felt like he wasn't contributing to the team. (Not helped by the fact that he was nearly punched clean off an island by Moses Magnum.)
Jabroniville

Ape X

Post by Jabroniville »

OH MY GOD THIS NAME IS A PUN ON "APEX" I JUST FIGURED THAT OUT.

APE X II (Roy Reyna, aka Sobresimio)
Created By:
Karl Kesel & Ramon Bachs
First Appearance: Marvel Apes #1 (Nov. 2008)
Role: Proof That Not Only D.C. Does This
Group Affiliations: The Ape-Vengers
PL 8 (93)
STRENGTH
0/7 STAMINA 1/7 AGILITY 2/4
FIGHTING 6/8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+5, +7 With Mask)
Athletics 3 (+3, +10 With Mask)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+4, +6 With Mask)
Ranged Combat (Blast) 2 (+8)

Advantages: 
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"Lucha Libre Mask" (Flaws: Removable) [44]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Enhanced Stamina 6 (12)
Enhanced Agility 2 (4)
Enhanced Fighting 2 (4)

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) (3)
"Long Arms" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Reach) (1)
Enhanced Skills 2: Intimidation 2 (+6) (1)
Energy Blast 8 (16)
-- (55 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Gorilla Strength +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Energy Blast 8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2 (+4 With Mask)

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (+8 With Mask, DC 16-18), Parry +6 (+8 With Mask, DC 16-18), Toughness +1 (+7 With Mask), Fortitude +1 (+7 With Mask), Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Gorilla Girl)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 7 (93)

-Roy Reyna was created as an original character for the goofy Marvel Apes story, and was a small ape that transformed into a super-powered Gorilla when he put on a magical Luchadore's mask. There's also apparently one in the Mainstream Universe who's a human. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Technically, this is Ape X II.

Marvel's first Ape-X was a female gorilla who was missing her legs, but had a tank-tread/wheelchair thing she was in. She was amember of the Institute of Evil, and then after Behavior Modification became a member of the Squadron Supreme. And she developped an unrequited crush on Tom Thumb during the last months of his life.

As near as I can tell, the "Ape-X" name pun on 'apex' was part of the genius of Mark Gruenwald.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
UrbanSniper

Re: Arcade

Post by UrbanSniper »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:06 pm
ARCADE (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Byrne
First Appearance: Marvel Team-Up #65 (Jan. 1978)
Role: Unusually-Unsuccessful Assassin
PL 2 (108), PL 6 (108) Inventor
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+3)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+13)
Expertise (Assassin) 6 (+12)
Perception 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Technology 10 (+16)
Vehicles 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Benefit 4 (Wealthy), Benefit (Is Usually a Robot All Along), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Kicks)- Arcade got into the assassination game out of boredom. And he's no simple killer: Any idiot can just walk up to someone and shoot them- he wants to make a GAME of it.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 4 (108)
So, minor mistake here, maybe, unless I've missed something obvious. Arcade's build shows a total of 4 points in Powers down in the totals, but I don't see a listing for any powers like is usually after the Advantages section. I suppose I noticed the oddity since I've recently been making out some characters of my own and have been using the same format.
L-Space

Re: Ape X

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 am -Roy Reyna was created as an original character for the goofy Marvel Apes story, and was a small ape that transformed into a super-powered Gorilla when he put on a magical Luchadore's mask. There's also apparently one in the Mainstream Universe who's a human. 
Why do I find this idea so incredibly awesome? Also, why aren't there more super powered luchadores?!
Formerly luketheduke86
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

For other gorilla luchadores, there's Gorilla Mask from God Hand:
(Seriously, this game is awesome.)
M4C8

Re: Ape X

Post by M4C8 »

L-Space wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:52 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 am -Roy Reyna was created as an original character for the goofy Marvel Apes story, and was a small ape that transformed into a super-powered Gorilla when he put on a magical Luchadore's mask. There's also apparently one in the Mainstream Universe who's a human. 
Why do I find this idea so incredibly awesome? Also, why aren't there more super powered luchadores?!
The mainstream one is 'El Muerto' he's a very minor character who fought Spider-Man.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Android Man

Post by Jabroniville »

ANDROID MAN (aka The Super-Android)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #79 (Oct. 1968)
Role: Kill-O-Bot
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (55)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -3

Skills: 
Intimidation 6 (+3)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Android Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +0

Complications: 
Motivation (Fighting)- Android Man simply fights- at first, his mission was to defeat The Wizard.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 7 (55)

-Android Man is a one-off Mad Thinker creation, meant as a fail-safe in case he was betrayed by his then-partner, The Wingless Wizard. Activating when placed at room temperature, the android went off to fight The Wizard, but as his parameters were to attack the owner of the Wonder Gloves, it attacked Ben Grimm while he was on a date with Alicia Masters, since Ben was carrying them around like a trophy (having already beaten The Wizard on an earlier adventure). Ben, in human form at the time, was warned by Reed that if he changed back into The Thing again, he would be trapped in that form permanently- naturally, the grand comics tradition dictated that Ben now HAD to change, in order to protect Alicia (who was now holding the Gloves) from Android Man. Ben, now empowered, incapacitated Android Man with only two blows.

-Some time later, he reactivated in the FF's building (Reed had apparently taken him to the Baxter Building for analysis), renamed The Super-Android. He held his own for a time, but The Invisible Girl was undergoing a Power Upgrade at the time, and created an invisible Force Bubble inside its body, expanding it outwards until it shattered.

-A pretty useless, boring character that was really just a means to an end, The Android Man is a simple melee fighter that's about Class 10-25, but no match for major super-heroes- even a late 1960s Ben Grimm (probably only PL 9-9.5 at that point) hands him his ass in a couple rounds.
Jabroniville

Angar

Post by Jabroniville »

ANGAR THE SCREAMER (David Alan Angar, aka Scream)
Created By:
Steve Gerber, Gene Colan & John Tartaglione
First Appearance: Daredevil #100 (June 1973)
Role: Jobber Villain
PL 10 (114)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Left-Wing Political Activities) 6 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Hallucinations" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Random Actions) (Feats: Subtle 2- Victims to Do Not Remember Hallucinated Activities) (Extras: Area- Audio Perception, Sustained +2) (42) -- [43]
  • AE: "Left-Wing Wail" Dazzle Hearing 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst) (Flaws: Touch Range) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Hallucinations & Dazzling +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Despite being a hippie, Angar started working for money as soon as he became a super-villain.
Responsibility (Hippie)- Wearing hippie gear even into modern times, Angar is pretty devoted to being a racial social activist.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 11 (114)

-If I live to be one-hundred, I shall never understand how it took me over five-hundred and fifty pages on my original 3e thread to finally do a build of ANGAR THE SCREAMER. I mean, look at how beautifully Jobby he is! I'm ashamed! This dude is a classic Jobber Villain, created to fight Daredevil, but quickly became just another travelling Journeyman type, fighting just about every hero at least once. He's a hippie and radical social activist who gained powers from Moondragon's Titanian science and gained the ability to cause others to hallucinate. He was MEANT to be an ally of Moonie's against Thanos, but broke off on his own and just became a literal mercenary. He was killed in the backstory of a 1997 Thunderbolts issue, as part of the history of Screaming Mimi, who'd hooked up with him more than a decade earlier (I have a Solo Avengers issue featuring them as a pair). He was shot to death by the police (a SUPER-VILLAIN? Jobbing to COPS? The SHAME!), setting off a mental and power break-down by poor Mimi, who underwent a complete transformation into the much-better Songbird.

-This is one of those cases where a character's death has positive effects- like Ares said, you can take a toy out of the sandbox so long as it either won't be missed, or can make things better by leaving. So we had to sacrifice a wonderful Hippie Jobber Villain to get the awesome Songbird- a good trade! Angar would sorta resurrect himself as the abstract sound-being Scream, who later fought the T-Bolts, but he was soon exploded. As Scream, he was an untouchable Energy Being (Insubstantial 3, Blast, Dazzle Hearing, etc.), but was an unthinking order-taker and mute.

-Angar is PL 10 because of his Area Dazzles, but like a lot of Dazzle-based guys, he is pretty helpless against a good physical threat. If you can get past his Wail (Dazzle) or Hallucinatory Scream (which renders you basically as doing whatever based off of your hallucinations- this generally meant freaking out and running away; it also renders its victims incapable of remembering what happened while they were controlled, which I think is enough like Subtle to count), then you can probably beat him pretty quickly. I mean, the guy jobbed to police.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Aardwolf

Post by Jabroniville »

AARDWOLF (Chon Li)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Ken Lashley
First Appearance: The New Warriors #3 (Oct. 1993)
Role: Crime Boss
Group Affiliations: The Folding Circle
PL 6 (96)
STRENGTH
1/6 STAMINA 2/6 AGILITY 2/4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4, +6)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Crimelord) 6 (+8)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+4, +6)

Advantages:
Connected, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Lycanthropy"
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Wolf Senses" Senses 6 (Low-Light Vision, Extended & Acute Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing, Scent-Tracking) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Aardwolf Unarmed +5 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Aardwolf Claws & Teeth +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2 (+4 Aardwolf)

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2 (+6 Aardwolf), Fortitude +3 (+7 Aardwolf), Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Thirst For Blood)- Though he is mostly-untrained as a fighter, Aardwolf has a taste for blood.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 4 (96)

-Gaining his nickname in childhood (seriously? Children in Madripoor know the name of an obscure Hyena relative in Africa?), Aardwolf is a Crimelord who fought Tiger Tyger, as well as The Folding Circle, in Night Thrasher's second Limited Series (geez, the Warriors' book must have sold better than I thought). In a fairly-unique twist for comics, it turns out that despite his powers, he ISN'T much of a fighter, and thus he was more of a Generic Crimeboss type. His stats are unimpressive, but he's strong enough to be a bit of a threat if he's pushed- he was easily-beaten by the Folding Circle (which is a gang of PL 8s), but he took out Smiling Tiger (a PL 7) on his own.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Well, if you ever make a sheet for Donald Trump, you are gonna need to give him less than Intellect 2 and Awareness 3. That cover clearly says that Aardwolf is more savvy than Trump. I don't think it would be particularly hard to justify that ^_^

EDIT: oops, politics = milf tax, right? Have a Sofia Vergara